Notre Dame

Related:
Create New Tag

4/15/2019 12:00 PM

I'm a non practicing Catholic, but it's a sad sad day. I wonder, was it a accident? Achmahd? God himself? Or worst of all the church themselves trying to get past all of the horrible things they're guilty of. Regardless, it's a shame to say the least. Been there since the 1200's and today it burns down with all of our technology and supposed intelligence. Very sad day.

|

4/15/2019 12:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 12:08 PM

They’ve been doing some pretty heavy renovations.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was a light or a wiring issue.

|

4/15/2019 12:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 1:32 PM

There is hope, unfortunately when a building is that old the chances that it will end up on fire at some point are pretty high. York minster is one of the largest gothic Cathedrals in the world has been on fire and wrecked a few times in its history.

|

I no longer regret my username.

4/15/2019 1:27 PM

The stone will survive and they can rebuild.
It's too bad the original structure won't remain, and sadly, a lot of the artifacts inside are lost. This is a bummer of a day.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/15/2019 2:13 PM

So much history lost... Really upsetting to watch and deeply personal to the French people especially of course. As akw suggested some sort of accident involving the renovations seems likely.

|

4/15/2019 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 2:21 PM

Very sad, coming from a non catholic. I don’t mean to twist the dagger but I find it unbelievable such a historic and irreplaceable piece of architecture was not retrofitted with sprinklers or fire control systems.

Edit: maybe it was I have no idea.

|

4/15/2019 2:55 PM

boston_jorj wrote:

Very sad, coming from a non catholic. I don’t mean to twist the dagger but I find it unbelievable such a historic and ...more

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Would be a shame especially if it had no suppression system. I'm probably wrong but I don't think we have any "architecturally" similarly significant buildings here in the states. Historically significant maybe. Our skyscrapers are just tall...that's all. There are train stations in Europe that are more amazing to look at than just about anything here in the states. Of course...we wouldn't accept a 25 or 50 year project.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

4/15/2019 2:58 PM

plowboy wrote:

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Would be a shame especially if it had no suppression system. I'm probably wrong but I don't ...more

National cathedral in DC is pretty cool. Such a shame to lose the history of Notre Dame...

|

4/15/2019 3:34 PM

Very sad. As a fan of architecture Notre Dame and it's flying buttresses are truly iconic. A tremendous accomplishment for its time and to this day.

|

4/15/2019 3:48 PM

boston_jorj wrote:

Very sad, coming from a non catholic. I don’t mean to twist the dagger but I find it unbelievable such a historic and ...more

plowboy wrote:

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Would be a shame especially if it had no suppression system. I'm probably wrong but I don't ...more

early wrote:

National cathedral in DC is pretty cool. Such a shame to lose the history of Notre Dame...

Yeah, D.C. definitely has some stuff worth looking at. It's not a building but Arlington is inspiring for its purpose and beautiful layout. If there's such a thing as hallowed ground...that is the place.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

4/15/2019 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 3:50 PM

plowboy wrote:

Yeah, D.C. definitely has some stuff worth looking at. It's not a building but Arlington is inspiring for its purpose and ...more

That and Gettysburg. Hallowed Ground.

|

4/15/2019 5:52 PM

Photo
I kept thinking that one of these would have been swooping in dropping loads of water on the church. Do they not have them in Europe or would they have been useless in this situation?
|

4/15/2019 7:24 PM

johnnymf0 wrote: Photo
I kept thinking that one of these would have been swooping in dropping loads of water on the church. Do they not have them in ...more

Saying dropping that much water would've caved in the structure.

Amazed the ability to build something like that without modern tools. Hell I have access to decent tools and still have a hard time building something square. Although they probably weren't forced to use the twisted wood I get to pick from at Menards...

|

4/15/2019 7:35 PM

yak651 wrote:

Amazed the ability to build something like that without ...more

Not to mention, would also destroy any surrounding buildings.

|

4/15/2019 8:38 PM

Apparently 800 yr old wood inside is what first caught fire. Feel for the Frenchies but they will rebuild.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

4/15/2019 8:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 8:50 PM

While it remains unclear how exactly the building caught fire, various components of the building's structure - like its wooden roof and flammable limestone - could have contributed to the flames.
Before Monday's deadly blaze, the cathedral had been undergoing significant renovations, to help restore the 12th century building.

Workers on the roof? Cigarette butts?

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

4/15/2019 11:53 PM

Such a sad deal, this pic from the inside is mind blowing.

Photo

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

4/16/2019 12:00 AM

Photo
|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

4/16/2019 4:36 AM

Photo
|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

4/16/2019 7:21 AM

ALL of the art and relics were saved. so it could have been much worse. even some stained glass windows survived. lookup “the french history podcast” page on facebook for updates.

|

4/16/2019 7:43 AM

Hard to believe there weren't more precautions for the most visited building in Europe.

For example, in Toronto the cathedral was completely renovated a few years ago and the fire department was in the building all the time. They had to be consulted at every stage of work to ensure that fire would not break out, and if it did firemen were there to quickly extinguish it.

Sadly there have been many attacks in France over the past few months. Hope they get to the bottom of it. Newsweek - Church Attacks in France

|

4/16/2019 8:18 AM

Al-Aqsa Mosque the third holiest site for Islam also went up in flames.

|

Please, please don't down vote me. It causes me to have impotence issues.

4/16/2019 9:52 AM

Practicing Catholic. Sad indeed. However, a few months of additional collections on Sunday and this will be rebuilt.

God only wills what man kind can handle.

find it odd other religious buildings burned on the same day. Conspiracy theorists going rampant right now. but prolly a construction worker cigarette butt or some construction related issue that caused her to go a blaze.

Or maybe the good lord himself saw it fit to purge that building.

|

GP740
Since 1987

4/16/2019 11:32 AM

bbhMoto wrote:

Hard to believe there weren't more precautions for the most visited building in Europe.

For example, in Toronto the cathedral ...more

Exactly my thought.

Odd they would launch into a massive renovation and not have a fire extinguisher laying around.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

4/16/2019 1:27 PM

How did Notre Dame survive World War II? Seemed like it would have been bombed back then. Oh wait, I remember now. Never mind.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

4/16/2019 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2019 6:22 AM

|

I no longer regret my username.

4/16/2019 2:53 PM

johnnymf0 wrote: Photo
I kept thinking that one of these would have been swooping in dropping loads of water on the church. Do they not have them in ...more
yak651 wrote:

Amazed the ability to build something like that without ...more

It would've been fine to do. Been near a drop and it's not nearly the pressure you'd think.
Would've given the fire fighters the extra time needed to get there.

|

4/16/2019 4:33 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

Very sad. As a fan of architecture Notre Dame and it's flying buttresses are truly iconic. A tremendous accomplishment for its ...more

They went through a lot of trouble to avoid a few rafter ties. Of course finding a 1 x 6 , 157 feet long could be a problem.

|

4/17/2019 8:14 AM

*Appreciate who ever deleted the post that was blaming Islam for this.

No pun intended, but, we didn't need to add anymore fuel to the fire.

|

4/17/2019 9:18 AM

Very sad to see, I just learned a few years ago to look up and look at architecture around me.

Scary to read that some mega rich have already pledges 500m to rebuild (if it’s true!), why can they just not club together and sort some world problems out?

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade