Newer Ram 1500 Problems?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 6:52 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a newer (2015) ram 1500 and my father seems to believe that all dodge products are pieces of junk. I've never really heard of any major issues from them but we've been with gm our whole lives and he is hesitant to switch up- anyone here have any reccomendations of which way to go?

|

Mediocracy is my middle name.

9/21/2017 7:00 AM

I have a 2017 and no issues so far. I also had a 2000 and 2004 Ram and never any major issues. I have the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed 8hp70 transmission, it's awesome compared to the old 5 speed!

There is a large group of people out there that have never owned them and say the tranny will go out in a few months.

|

9/21/2017 2:31 PM

they just had a recall on their water pump overheating.

|

9/21/2017 3:47 PM

I have a 2012 2500, 2012 3500 and a 2016 1500 all diesels, never had an issue with anything major at all, just the normal wear and tear. And the 2500 and 3500 we use for hauling of toy haulers and flatbeds and we have never had issues.

|

Only 2 things that money can't buy, thats true love and homegrown tomatoes.

9/21/2017 4:09 PM

They seem fine ,as long as you don't mind driving around with no bed sides.

|

9/21/2017 4:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2017 4:46 PM

Dodge Ram 1500s are junk...my good friend has had a number of them because his wife's uncle owns the local Dodge dealer..his newest is a 2013 and it's rusting around the wheel well, constantly needs tie rod ends, ball joints, half the exhaust manifolds studs are broke, gas gauge occasionally won't work, had the front gearbox bearing fail. Currently it has a misfire, but he thinks that is fixed after replacing the 16 plugs AGAIN (calls for every 30k). I am sure I am missing many other issues. Granted I wouldn't consider these major issues..but seriously wtf

We give him crap all the time for driving that junk..laughing Don't know why anyone would buy one. And I doubt a 2015 is any better.

If you do buy it I hope your a good mechanic.

|

9/21/2017 4:52 PM

Brad460 wrote:

Dodge Ram 1500s are junk...my good friend has had a number of them because his wife's uncle owns the local Dodge dealer..his newest is a 2013 and it's rusting around the wheel well, constantly needs tie rod ends, ball joints, half the exhaust manifolds studs are broke, gas gauge occasionally won't work, had the front gearbox bearing fail. Currently it has a misfire, but he thinks that is fixed after replacing the 16 plugs AGAIN (calls for every 30k). I am sure I am missing many other issues. Granted I wouldn't consider these major issues..but seriously wtf

We give him crap all the time for driving that junk..laughing Don't know why anyone would buy one. And I doubt a 2015 is any better.

Wow, that sure does seem like a long list of issues lol. I think that the newest generation started in 2014 so hopefully they're better? Not sure, but I'll for sure keep this in mind. Thanks!

|

Mediocracy is my middle name.

9/21/2017 4:56 PM

Rexblaster wrote:

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a newer (2015) ram 1500 and my father seems to believe that all dodge products are pieces of junk. I've never really heard of any major issues from them but we've been with gm our whole lives and he is hesitant to switch up- anyone here have any reccomendations of which way to go?

I have a '15 RAM 2500 4X4 with 6.4 and 4.10 gears. One of the best trucks I ever had.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

9/21/2017 6:22 PM

Brad460 wrote:

The only thing I can agree with here is that it's somewhat common for exhaust studs to break on the manifold.

You can insert any truck brand name and someone will say they had to get ball joints and tie rod ends every 10k.

I traded in my 2004 with almost 200,000 miles on it and it didn't have rust other than small bubbles starting on the passenger side front door. That is after 13 years and 8 of those years in New England winters with salted roads.

|

9/21/2017 6:35 PM

seth505 wrote:

The only thing I can agree with here is that it's somewhat common for exhaust studs to break on the manifold.

You can insert any truck brand name and someone will say they had to get ball joints and tie rod ends every 10k.

I traded in my 2004 with almost 200,000 miles on it and it didn't have rust other than small bubbles starting on the passenger side front door. That is after 13 years and 8 of those years in New England winters with salted roads.

You're probably right...other friends and myself have Tundras and have zero issues..in fact can't imagine ever having to fix anything. Mine is a 2010 with 66k and still like brand new.

|

9/21/2017 6:39 PM

I find that most of the haters are people that have never owned one....I used to be one of those guys, until I bought one in 2003, and Knock on wood I have had no problems with any of the 4 that I 've owned.

I just got my wife a new GMC yukon and that is a very unimpressive truck for what I payed for it. No more GM's..........very cheaply built in my opinion. Photo

|

9/21/2017 9:22 PM

Funny, my buddy just had his blow a tie rod this afternoon. I'll stick to the 5.9

|

Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst.

9/21/2017 9:25 PM

I have had a couple of Rams a 2500 V10 and a 2014 1500 and have had only a few minor problems that were covered by warranty, one was a back up camera on the 1500 and the heated seat on the 2500 . I drove the Toyota Tundra and didnt care for it at all which is strange because I liked my Tacoma.I was also looking at a F150 FX4 which I really liked but didnt want the eco boost and couldnt find a V8 in the model I wanted. Love my ram 1500 and like mopars in general both old and new Challengers. If your dad is gonna pay get the GM but if you are paying then get what you want. Photo
Photo

|

Ed Johnson

9/21/2017 9:48 PM

^nice

Photo

|

9/21/2017 10:33 PM

I have a 2015 Ram 1500. It's got the hemi 5.7 V8. I keep up with all the maintenance on it. Zero issues. My experience has been very good.

|

9/22/2017 6:09 AM

I rented a 16 1500 when my 15 150 was in the shop
I was rear ended (by my own kid ) I thought fhe dodge was a piece of shit compared to my ford . It just seemed cheaply made .

|

9/22/2017 8:43 AM

Maybe that reputation was warranted in the past for Dodge (sorry, still think it should be called Dodge Ram), but they have really stepped up recently. The interior was always a negative, but I was impressed with the quality. Oh talk about some room in the cab..... so much space.

I think Dodge offers the most truck for the money right now and that is coming from a Ford lifer

|

9/22/2017 5:11 PM

seth505 wrote:

I have a 2017 and no issues so far. I also had a 2000 and 2004 Ram and never any major issues. I have the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed 8hp70 transmission, it's awesome compared to the old 5 speed!

There is a large group of people out there that have never owned them and say the tranny will go out in a few months.

A young man at my job is suing Chrysler in regards to The Lemon Law. He has a 1500, 2016 and has been waiting for a transmission for almost 4 months due to being on back order . His Dad and Mom bought the truck for him as a Grad present. I feel bad for the kid he's only 23 and actually a pretty good hard working young man. Any thing you buy can have issues it comes down to which ever you choose will help you out if issues arise.

|

Yeah, I have no clue !!!

9/22/2017 6:00 PM

seth505 wrote:

nicko-31 wrote:

A young man at my job is suing Chrysler in regards to The Lemon Law. He has a 1500, 2016 and has been waiting for a transmission for almost 4 months due to being on back order . His Dad and Mom bought the truck for him as a Grad present. I feel bad for the kid he's only 23 and actually a pretty good hard working young man. Any thing you buy can have issues it comes down to which ever you choose will help you out if issues arise.

True. I don't feel bad for that kid tho, a new ram as a gift!? Haha.

|