New Tesla Roadster

Rhino
11/23/2017 2:06pm
Speaking for myself, I hope to never deal with the "amazing" customer service experience of a dealer again. Especially since selling you the car appears to...
Speaking for myself, I hope to never deal with the "amazing" customer service experience of a dealer again. Especially since selling you the car appears to just be a tool to get you in front of the finance guy who then pressures you into thousands of extra services. Don't even get me started on the service department.

With Tesla, I went online and within a few clicks bought my car. I paid the exact same price as everyone else and got the car exactly as I wanted with no compromise and nobody pressuring me for tire, paint, interior, drivetrain, warranty, extras..... And when I need service on my car someone pushes a software update and most of the time it's fixed. If not, some dude comes to my house and takes care of it in my driveway. All for free.

And regarding level playing field... In south FL nearly all the "dealers" are owned by one or two different groups. I see this in many large markets as well. So it's true, you are not dealing direct with the manufacturer for your Ford or Chevy but you are still dealing with a monopoly so there is in effect no competition since one or two groups owns all the dealerships. .

That model is outdated. Time to move on. If you think it's a level playing field you're living in fantasy land.
Rhino wrote:
Small cars and EVs dont sell because most look like shit. Bolts or Volts or whatever might be great cars, but they look like shit also...
Small cars and EVs dont sell because most look like shit. Bolts or Volts or whatever might be great cars, but they look like shit also.

A man can't be a man driving a Prius. Sorry, but some women still like a dude that isn't castrated and still has some self worth. If my oldest daughters Lexus IS 250 F Sport was all electric, it would still be a sick ass looking car.

I wouldnt even talk to a broad that drives a Prius. Get some self worth, not a PEACE sticker and CoExist sticker.

I've never bought a vehicle based on the mileage it gets. That's all bullshit numbers in the real world anyway. I buy a vehicle for the job it is going to do. No vehicle I have ever owned uses a LEAN AS FUCK Blow the motor tune on a dyno to meet CAFE requirements or even comes close to the BS numbers on the sticker.
Maybe some actually do. No one really knows.

If you are worried about mileage, the sidewalks are empty. That tells me no one really cares. They were empty when gas was 6 bucks too. All expensive gas did was make people take a few less trips per year. If that.
TXDirt wrote:
I drive a corolla because it’s economical. I fill up twice in a month. Would love a Prius as well. The extra money I save goes...
I drive a corolla because it’s economical. I fill up twice in a month. Would love a Prius as well. The extra money I save goes to my kids activities. Karate, art class, etc. Extras for the wife and family.

I don’t feel emasculated driving one.

Wife giving me a blow job in a Corolla feels as good as when she would when I had my Mustang GT.

Sounds like you may be compensating for something....
You're missing the point. How often do you see a Corolla with a Peace sticker and CoExist sticker and 30 other rainbow stickers? Driven by a tree hugger greenie who doesn't shower except about as much as you buy gas for it.

The answer is, Not very often. I rented a Corolla once. Im not renting a Prius. You have to have a line.

If you think I'm compensating for something, how do you explain women who wouldn't be caught dead in either a Corolla or a Prius? What are they compensating for?
Ebs
11/23/2017 6:08pm
blusmbl wrote:
That's exactly the point. It isn't a level playing field because every other manufacturer can't sell a vehicle direct to you online. Only Tesla can do...
That's exactly the point. It isn't a level playing field because every other manufacturer can't sell a vehicle direct to you online. Only Tesla can do that. If the model is outdated (not arguing that point one way or another) it needs to be deregulated for everyone, which is not what's currently happening.
The direct sale laws vary by state, and Tesla currently isn't allowed to sell in quite a few states. I don't think there is anything stopping other manufacturers from selling direct in those states where Tesla is allowed to.

I'm down for removing most any form of government intervention, let the market decide which method works best. It is kind of silly the idea that you can create a product but aren't allowed to sell it consumers yourself.
APLMAN99
11/23/2017 6:21pm
Speaking for myself, I hope to never deal with the "amazing" customer service experience of a dealer again. Especially since selling you the car appears to...
Speaking for myself, I hope to never deal with the "amazing" customer service experience of a dealer again. Especially since selling you the car appears to just be a tool to get you in front of the finance guy who then pressures you into thousands of extra services. Don't even get me started on the service department.

With Tesla, I went online and within a few clicks bought my car. I paid the exact same price as everyone else and got the car exactly as I wanted with no compromise and nobody pressuring me for tire, paint, interior, drivetrain, warranty, extras..... And when I need service on my car someone pushes a software update and most of the time it's fixed. If not, some dude comes to my house and takes care of it in my driveway. All for free.

And regarding level playing field... In south FL nearly all the "dealers" are owned by one or two different groups. I see this in many large markets as well. So it's true, you are not dealing direct with the manufacturer for your Ford or Chevy but you are still dealing with a monopoly so there is in effect no competition since one or two groups owns all the dealerships. .

That model is outdated. Time to move on. If you think it's a level playing field you're living in fantasy land.
blusmbl wrote:
That's exactly the point. It isn't a level playing field because every other manufacturer can't sell a vehicle direct to you online. Only Tesla can do...
That's exactly the point. It isn't a level playing field because every other manufacturer can't sell a vehicle direct to you online. Only Tesla can do that. If the model is outdated (not arguing that point one way or another) it needs to be deregulated for everyone, which is not what's currently happening.
Any place that Tesla is selling directly to consumers is also a place that "conventional" auto makers could sell direct, except for their existing franchise agreements that would probably violate. The playing field is level, except that other makers have painted themselves into a corner with their prior sales models.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/23/2017 6:34pm
The self driving capability is most amazing to me. Really kind of hard to believe, in all honesty.

The Shop

jasonward73
11/24/2017 6:46am
kzizok wrote:
The self driving capability is most amazing to me. Really kind of hard to believe, in all honesty.
It’s so awesome. Wait until you experience it.
jasonward73
11/24/2017 6:50am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2017 6:50am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Any place that Tesla is selling directly to consumers is also a place that "conventional" auto makers could sell direct, except for their existing franchise agreements...
Any place that Tesla is selling directly to consumers is also a place that "conventional" auto makers could sell direct, except for their existing franchise agreements that would probably violate. The playing field is level, except that other makers have painted themselves into a corner with their prior sales models.
Aplman nailed it. It’s nothing to do with a level playing field. It’s the big 3 trying to keep the status quo because they’re afraid to change.

It’s a dumb concept anyway. Microsoft can sell to customers. Apple can sell to costumers. Virtually every manufacturer of anything sells direct to customers. Why have special rules for autos???
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/24/2017 6:58am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2017 7:01am
kzizok wrote:
It’s so awesome. Wait until you experience it.
A friend of mine has one. Just haven’t been in it. I bet it is cool.

Also, agreed on the antiquated dealer network. It’s the “good ol’ boy” way of doing things to where the masses are forced to line the pockets of the most privileged few. Time to move on from that model.
APLMAN99
11/24/2017 9:10am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Any place that Tesla is selling directly to consumers is also a place that "conventional" auto makers could sell direct, except for their existing franchise agreements...
Aplman nailed it. It’s nothing to do with a level playing field. It’s the big 3 trying to keep the status quo because they’re afraid to...
Aplman nailed it. It’s nothing to do with a level playing field. It’s the big 3 trying to keep the status quo because they’re afraid to change.

It’s a dumb concept anyway. Microsoft can sell to customers. Apple can sell to costumers. Virtually every manufacturer of anything sells direct to customers. Why have special rules for autos???
I can understand the evolution of the standard dealership model and the ensuing regulations protecting dealers that have invested large amounts of money from being undercut by the automakers that they represent, but those makers initiated that model. Tesla has no franchise dealers to undercut, obviously.

Their argument that an average car salesman wouldn't be able to fully represent their products adequately is probably true, in my experience......
borg
11/24/2017 12:15pm
The manufacturer/dealer business model is everywhere. Try and buy air conditioning equipment direct. I was in the packaging manufacturing business for a time. We only sold to distributors. There is economic value in the arrangement. We competed with others that sold direct without any problem.

SCR
11/24/2017 9:17pm
borg wrote:
The manufacturer/dealer business model is everywhere. Try and buy air conditioning equipment direct. I was in the packaging manufacturing business for a time. We only sold...
The manufacturer/dealer business model is everywhere. Try and buy air conditioning equipment direct. I was in the packaging manufacturing business for a time. We only sold to distributors. There is economic value in the arrangement. We competed with others that sold direct without any problem.

There is value in it and assuming Tesla can build and sell 500,000 or more cars like they project they may find it necessary to use independent distributors for the same reasons other manufacturers do. unless they can put together the Capitol and management to handle all the property,
Payroll, inventory and parts, adverstising, insurance, and other overhead for hundreds of dealerships and service centers across the globe.
It makes sense that if millions of teslas are sold the same overhead costs for dealerships will end up in the final price.
Rhino
11/24/2017 10:35pm
I wonder what Rimac will do for performance now? I think it is a better looking rig.
Ebs
12/4/2017 8:13pm
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-29/teslas-semi-truck-would-requir…

Tesla's Semi-Truck Would Require Energy Of 4,000 Homes To Recharge

Elon Musk’s reliance on shock-and-awe tactics and unjustifiably lofty performance projections is creating serious problems for the so-called visionary as a growing number of experts have come forward to explain that many of his claims would defy the laws of physics.

The latest group to call bulls--- is Aurora Energy Research, a European consultancy which estimated that Tesla’s electric haulage truck will require the same energy as up to 4,000 homes to recharge – a stunning claim that would seem to raise serious questions about the projects viability, according to the Financial Times.

According to these scientists, modern battery technology is incapable of supporting anything close to the 30-minute charging time Musk has promised for the new Tesla semi-truck.

The US electric carmaker unveiled a battery-powered truck earlier this month, promising haulage drivers they could add 400 miles of charge in as little as 30 minutes using a new “megacharger” to be made by the company.

John Feddersen, chief executive of Aurora Energy Research, a consultancy set up in 2013 by a group of Oxford university professors, said the power required for the megacharger to fill a battery in that amount of time would be 1,600 kilowatts.

That is the equivalent of providing 3,000-4,000 “average” houses, he told a London conference last week, 10 times as powerful as Tesla’s current network of “superchargers” for its electric cars. Tesla declined to comment on the calculations.

Elon Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, has previously said the megachargers would be solar-powered but the company has not confirmed whether they will also have a grid connection for when it is not sunny.

Many of Tesla’s current superchargers are powered in part by renewable energy. The company is also experimenting with storage batteries to ease demands on the grid.

Tesla has promised to begin delivering its trucks in late 2019. Electric battery capacity has been improving at a rate of roughly 8% per year – and some have posited that Musk’s lofty claims are merely just him trying to anticipate what will be possible as the first batch of trucks are being assembled. However, if Aurora’s assessment is accurate, then the technological advancements needed to enable a 30-minute charging time for a semi-truck are still years, if not decades, off.

Furthermore, Musk has said little about the enhancements to the power grid that would be needed to power fleets of Tesla’s semi-trucks.

“There are smart and dumb ways to incorporate this level of capacity requirement into the system, but either way, fully electrified road transport will need a large amount of new infrastructure,” Feddersen told the Financial Times.

National Grid, which oversees Britain’s electricity system, has suggested that in the most extreme scenario, electric vehicles could create as much as 18 gigawatts of additional demand for power at peak times in the UK by 2050.

This is the equivalent capacity of nearly six nuclear power stations on the scale of the Hinkley Point project under construction in the south-west of England.

Aurora posits that Tesla could try an engineering solution called segmenting – but that approach would come with technological hurdles of its own.

“The fastest chargers today can support up to around 450kW charging, so it’s not clear yet how Tesla will achieve their desired charging speeds,” said Colin McKerracher, head of advanced transport at Bloomberg New Energy Finance, a consultancy."

“One option may be to segment the battery somehow and actually charge different segments simultaneously. This adds additional costs and we haven't seen anything like that done at anywhere near this power output."

APLMAN99
12/4/2017 8:39pm
Ebs wrote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-29/teslas-semi-truck-would-require-energy-4000-homes-recharge [quote] [b]Tesla's Semi-Truck Would Require Energy Of 4,000 Homes To Recharge[/b] Elon Musk’s reliance on shock-and-awe tactics and unjustifiably lofty performance projections is creating serious...
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-29/teslas-semi-truck-would-requir…

Tesla's Semi-Truck Would Require Energy Of 4,000 Homes To Recharge

Elon Musk’s reliance on shock-and-awe tactics and unjustifiably lofty performance projections is creating serious problems for the so-called visionary as a growing number of experts have come forward to explain that many of his claims would defy the laws of physics.

The latest group to call bulls--- is Aurora Energy Research, a European consultancy which estimated that Tesla’s electric haulage truck will require the same energy as up to 4,000 homes to recharge – a stunning claim that would seem to raise serious questions about the projects viability, according to the Financial Times.

According to these scientists, modern battery technology is incapable of supporting anything close to the 30-minute charging time Musk has promised for the new Tesla semi-truck.

The US electric carmaker unveiled a battery-powered truck earlier this month, promising haulage drivers they could add 400 miles of charge in as little as 30 minutes using a new “megacharger” to be made by the company.

John Feddersen, chief executive of Aurora Energy Research, a consultancy set up in 2013 by a group of Oxford university professors, said the power required for the megacharger to fill a battery in that amount of time would be 1,600 kilowatts.

That is the equivalent of providing 3,000-4,000 “average” houses, he told a London conference last week, 10 times as powerful as Tesla’s current network of “superchargers” for its electric cars. Tesla declined to comment on the calculations.

Elon Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, has previously said the megachargers would be solar-powered but the company has not confirmed whether they will also have a grid connection for when it is not sunny.

Many of Tesla’s current superchargers are powered in part by renewable energy. The company is also experimenting with storage batteries to ease demands on the grid.

Tesla has promised to begin delivering its trucks in late 2019. Electric battery capacity has been improving at a rate of roughly 8% per year – and some have posited that Musk’s lofty claims are merely just him trying to anticipate what will be possible as the first batch of trucks are being assembled. However, if Aurora’s assessment is accurate, then the technological advancements needed to enable a 30-minute charging time for a semi-truck are still years, if not decades, off.

Furthermore, Musk has said little about the enhancements to the power grid that would be needed to power fleets of Tesla’s semi-trucks.

“There are smart and dumb ways to incorporate this level of capacity requirement into the system, but either way, fully electrified road transport will need a large amount of new infrastructure,” Feddersen told the Financial Times.

National Grid, which oversees Britain’s electricity system, has suggested that in the most extreme scenario, electric vehicles could create as much as 18 gigawatts of additional demand for power at peak times in the UK by 2050.

This is the equivalent capacity of nearly six nuclear power stations on the scale of the Hinkley Point project under construction in the south-west of England.

Aurora posits that Tesla could try an engineering solution called segmenting – but that approach would come with technological hurdles of its own.

“The fastest chargers today can support up to around 450kW charging, so it’s not clear yet how Tesla will achieve their desired charging speeds,” said Colin McKerracher, head of advanced transport at Bloomberg New Energy Finance, a consultancy."

“One option may be to segment the battery somehow and actually charge different segments simultaneously. This adds additional costs and we haven't seen anything like that done at anywhere near this power output."

zerohedge sounds like a sketchy site......

And how long are they claiming that these homes would be powered for? 5 seconds? 5 minutes? 5 hours? 5 days? 5 weeks? 5 months?

XXVoid MainXX
12/4/2017 8:57pm
Yeah, where did they pull the 4,000 number from? Smile Certain Lithium batteries can be charged to 70% in as little as 10 minutes according to this article:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

Tesla power packs are made up of large numbers of small batteries. If the charging distribution is set up to distribute the charge it shouldn't matter how large the pack is, the charge time would be the same. And he did say that in 30 minutes the pack could be charged up to 400 miles of the full 500 mile capacity. According to the article you have to slow the charge rate after 70%.

I've been watching a lot of videos on some new battery technology (non Lithium) on the horizon and I think we're on the verge of a big step in technology. The claims were significant improvement in every area over Lithium (density, weight, charge time, charge capacity, safety, etc). But I'll remain skeptical until more details are known.
XXVoid MainXX
12/4/2017 9:18pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 9:21pm
Here's an interesting article and I may have an idea where they came up with the 4,000 number:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/17/tesla-semi-8-charger-holes-800-kwh…

Tesla said the semi would use less than 2kwh per mile so they are figuring you would need 800kwh to go 400 miles which would take a charge rate of 1.6 megawatts to pump that 800kwh in 30 minutes. Say an average home uses 24kwh per day that would mean in 30 minutes it would use only 0.5kwh. That would be the equivalent of the rate of power that 3200 homes would use in 30 minutes. It sound like a lot but if you took the amount of energy that could be generated from 400 miles worth of diesel fuel and it might come out very similar. I'm not exactly sure what point they are trying to make regardless. I assume the average home electricity usage must be a little lower than 30kwh to come up with 4000 homes. I know my dad just put in a solar system a couple of weeks ago and he uses over 40kwhs per day in his old farm house.
APLMAN99
12/4/2017 9:42pm
Here's an interesting article and I may have an idea where they came up with the 4,000 number: https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/17/tesla-semi-8-charger-holes-800-kwh-battery-tesla-megacharger-1-6-megawatts/ Tesla said the semi would use less...
Here's an interesting article and I may have an idea where they came up with the 4,000 number:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/17/tesla-semi-8-charger-holes-800-kwh…

Tesla said the semi would use less than 2kwh per mile so they are figuring you would need 800kwh to go 400 miles which would take a charge rate of 1.6 megawatts to pump that 800kwh in 30 minutes. Say an average home uses 24kwh per day that would mean in 30 minutes it would use only 0.5kwh. That would be the equivalent of the rate of power that 3200 homes would use in 30 minutes. It sound like a lot but if you took the amount of energy that could be generated from 400 miles worth of diesel fuel and it might come out very similar. I'm not exactly sure what point they are trying to make regardless. I assume the average home electricity usage must be a little lower than 30kwh to come up with 4000 homes. I know my dad just put in a solar system a couple of weeks ago and he uses over 40kwhs per day in his old farm house.
Just a quick search shows that the average US consumption is 897 kWh per month, so right about 30 per day. But obviously not all heat and "power" to all homes is electric, so I'd imagine that all electric homes would be a little bit higher, especially in the middle of the summer heat or the winter cold......
Ebs
12/4/2017 9:45pm
Yeah, it sounded like the concern is over how they are going to package that amount of power within the claimed time frame.

That article offers a possible explanation:

According to Teslarati, “Tesla’s Megacharger would need to have a … power output of 1.6 MW, or thirteen times the power level of a standard Supercharger, to be able to replenish 400 miles of battery range in 30 minutes.” KManAuto agrees. He tells Teslarati: “I think they increased the voltage — for simplicity probably doubled it. Keeps the wire size down. Less heat build up. The charge port on the semi also has eight pins for charging. Of course, positive and negative — means it’s like having four normal Superchargers plugged in. So if it was four normal Superchargers through the same size pins it would be approximately 500 kW due to wire size. If they double the voltage, they could run twice the amount of power through the same wires, meaning they would be able to hit 1.6 MW.”

Post a reply to: New Tesla Roadster

The Latest