New Kawasaki Street Bike

JPT
11/7/2018 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2018 8:30am
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
11/7/2018 5:28pm
Modern engine, with fuel injection and disk brakes but old school look. Ought to sell very well
newmann
11/7/2018 5:34pm
And yet the idiots here don't think a retro twin shock , air cooled 2 stroke entry level motocross bike would sell. The W-650 was a sweet looking bike 20 plus years ago, looks like they dusted off some molds and dies...
APLMAN99
11/7/2018 5:53pm
newmann wrote:
And yet the idiots here don't think a retro twin shock , air cooled 2 stroke entry level motocross bike would sell. The W-650 was a...
And yet the idiots here don't think a retro twin shock , air cooled 2 stroke entry level motocross bike would sell. The W-650 was a sweet looking bike 20 plus years ago, looks like they dusted off some molds and dies...
I think that the Yamaha SR400 was a great idea, too, but having kickstart only starting probably results in selling several hundred or more of them less every year. It'd be a great entry level/around town/female starter bike but folks in those categories probably want a starter button at the very least!

The Shop

mxdude105
11/7/2018 6:18pm
I dig it. I love the modern retro-look Triumphs. Almost bought one but went with an ST3 instead. Hope Kawi actually sells this.
JPT
11/8/2018 8:41am
mxdude105 wrote:
I dig it. I love the modern retro-look Triumphs. Almost bought one but went with an ST3 instead. Hope Kawi actually sells this.

Agreed, love my Speed Twin.
JPT
11/8/2018 8:45am
It reminds me so much of the bike I had nearly 50 years ago.

JAFO92
11/8/2018 8:57am
Dang JPT, those are both gorgeous rides. Id love to have a modern Bonne !
JPT
11/8/2018 9:04am
JAFO92 wrote:
Dang JPT, those are both gorgeous rides. Id love to have a modern Bonne !
Thanks man, there's a lifetime between them, but the feelings the same.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
11/8/2018 9:07am
the W650 and W800 were never good sellers for us here in NZ . (i worked for kawi NZ for a while, and my father ran it for 28 years up until a couple of years ago)

they are a bike that is always in demand second hand, but never sold that well new, i like the new fairing tho, looks good,
BMSOBx2
11/8/2018 1:52pm
JPT wrote:
It reminds me so much of the bike I had nearly 50 years ago. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/08/301175/s1200_cropped_Triumph.jpg[/img]
It reminds me so much of the bike I had nearly 50 years ago.

1965 High Pipe 500 twin was my first ride. Took the fenders and lights off it and went racing.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/8/2018 2:00pm
Not my style, I guess. I'd much rather have something that looks modern or even futuristic. We already had 1960s motorcycles in the 1960s.
murph783
11/8/2018 3:08pm
I like it. Drop the license plate mount for something a little more sleek, change out the exhaust, and maybe get the mirrors out of the way, that’d be a damn good looking machine.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
11/8/2018 6:55pm

I picked up a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster about 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks into owning it a jackass pulled a illegal Uturn n front of me on the Coast Highway. I laid on both brakes and turned with the car and hit it about 15 mph. First time I’ve wven made contact with a car, not fun at all! Anyway it has less than 200 miles on it and now it’s at the Triumph dealer for who knows how long. Over 7K in damages. This is my 4th “modern” Triumph, the first one with a 1200cc engine. It’s a awesome motor and a very well handling cruiser. Excellent attention to detail on the Triumphs.

For a Japanese bike I think Kawasaki did a excellent job on styling. I’m sure it will perform well also...I just prefer the more original look of the Triumph over the bike that tries to copy its styling.
JPT
11/9/2018 7:16am
KennyT wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/08/301248/s1200_1D0C541E_54AD_4E0E_A8BD_510A285BE700.jpg[/img] I picked up a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster about 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks into owning it a jackass pulled a illegal Uturn n front of...

I picked up a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster about 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks into owning it a jackass pulled a illegal Uturn n front of me on the Coast Highway. I laid on both brakes and turned with the car and hit it about 15 mph. First time I’ve wven made contact with a car, not fun at all! Anyway it has less than 200 miles on it and now it’s at the Triumph dealer for who knows how long. Over 7K in damages. This is my 4th “modern” Triumph, the first one with a 1200cc engine. It’s a awesome motor and a very well handling cruiser. Excellent attention to detail on the Triumphs.

For a Japanese bike I think Kawasaki did a excellent job on styling. I’m sure it will perform well also...I just prefer the more original look of the Triumph over the bike that tries to copy its styling.
Yeah, they said Triumph with no Lucas electronics and it doesn't leak oil. I was sold.

Glad you weren't hurt. Your insurance wouldn't total it for 7K?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
11/9/2018 9:04am
KennyT wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/08/301248/s1200_1D0C541E_54AD_4E0E_A8BD_510A285BE700.jpg[/img] I picked up a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster about 5 weeks ago. 2 weeks into owning it a jackass pulled a illegal Uturn n front of...

JPT wrote:
Yeah, they said Triumph with no Lucas electronics and it doesn't leak oil. I was sold. Glad you weren't hurt. Your insurance wouldn't total it for...
Yeah, they said Triumph with no Lucas electronics and it doesn't leak oil. I was sold.

I think it’s the older Triumphs that leaked oil. The first one I bought was in 2013 and this is the 4th. Thruxton, Bonneville, Tiger and now the Speedmaster. Zero issues with any of them except the Tiger which had a major engine issue out of warranty. The dealer and I contacted Triumph and they covered it with no $$$ out of pocket.

I had just paid over 15K for the bike (ordered it with pipes, side bags, wind screen, seat, etc) so the repairs were less than half it’s value so that’s why they did not total it. Other than a bent fork leg the rest was all cosmetic. And I do totally trust Triumph of San Diego to make it as good as new. I’m working on the insurance company to try and get some “diminished value” out of them. I know it will be hard to sell if a report shows it had that much damage.

I have no doubt the Kawasaki is most likely a better built bike, most Japanese bikes are stone reliable and excellent performance. I just like the details on bikes like Triumphs, Harley’s, KTM’s etc.

And yes I do piss hard earned money away foolishly. Its why I’ll still be pounding nails into my 60’s
JPT
11/9/2018 10:29am
KennyT wrote:

JPT wrote:
Yeah, they said Triumph with no Lucas electronics and it doesn't leak oil. I was sold. Glad you weren't hurt. Your insurance wouldn't total it for...

KennyT wrote:
I think it’s the older Triumphs that leaked oil. The first one I bought was in 2013 and this is the 4th. Thruxton, Bonneville, Tiger and...
I think it’s the older Triumphs that leaked oil. The first one I bought was in 2013 and this is the 4th. Thruxton, Bonneville, Tiger and now the Speedmaster. Zero issues with any of them except the Tiger which had a major engine issue out of warranty. The dealer and I contacted Triumph and they covered it with no $$$ out of pocket.

I had just paid over 15K for the bike (ordered it with pipes, side bags, wind screen, seat, etc) so the repairs were less than half it’s value so that’s why they did not total it. Other than a bent fork leg the rest was all cosmetic. And I do totally trust Triumph of San Diego to make it as good as new. I’m working on the insurance company to try and get some “diminished value” out of them. I know it will be hard to sell if a report shows it had that much damage.

I have no doubt the Kawasaki is most likely a better built bike, most Japanese bikes are stone reliable and excellent performance. I just like the details on bikes like Triumphs, Harley’s, KTM’s etc.

And yes I do piss hard earned money away foolishly. Its why I’ll still be pounding nails into my 60’s
My point was as much as I loved my 69 T100C it started dripping on the driveway about 2 months in. The new ones don't have that issue. I'm retired and it was my gift to myself after going bikeless since my 77 TT500.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
11/9/2018 2:47pm
JPT wrote:

KennyT wrote:
I think it’s the older Triumphs that leaked oil. The first one I bought was in 2013 and this is the 4th. Thruxton, Bonneville, Tiger and...

JPT wrote:
My point was as much as I loved my 69 T100C it started dripping on the driveway about 2 months in. The new ones don't have...
My point was as much as I loved my 69 T100C it started dripping on the driveway about 2 months in. The new ones don't have that issue. I'm retired and it was my gift to myself after going bikeless since my 77 TT500.
I gotcha. Yeah I imagine the old Triumphs were much like the old Harley’s when it comes to oil leaking.

I’m absolutely amazed at the amount of old guys that come up to me to talk about Triumphs whenever I’m out on mine. So many “that looks just like the one I had in high school!”

New vintage is popular here on the So Cal coast. I really enjoy them and love to see companies like Kawasaki putting out a good effort to replicate a classic style
VET176
11/9/2018 3:02pm
Falcon wrote:
Not my style, I guess. I'd much rather have something that looks modern or even futuristic. We already had 1960s motorcycles in the 1960s.
Something like this: ?

or this:? (a retro bike that rips)

BMSOBx2
11/9/2018 3:16pm
JPT wrote:
My point was as much as I loved my 69 T100C it started dripping on the driveway about 2 months in. The new ones don't have...
Amazing how our tastes are so much alike. Triumph & TT 500? I had two SR 500s bought the first one brand new in 78, loved that bike even if you had to kick it. Kept the posers from messing with it.
BMSOBx2
11/9/2018 3:19pm
KennyT wrote:
I gotcha. Yeah I imagine the old Triumphs were much like the old Harley’s when it comes to oil leaking. I’m absolutely amazed at the amount...
I gotcha. Yeah I imagine the old Triumphs were much like the old Harley’s when it comes to oil leaking.

I’m absolutely amazed at the amount of old guys that come up to me to talk about Triumphs whenever I’m out on mine. So many “that looks just like the one I had in high school!”

New vintage is popular here on the So Cal coast. I really enjoy them and love to see companies like Kawasaki putting out a good effort to replicate a classic style
Old Harleys and Triumphs didn't leak, they just marked their spot.Whistling
JPT
11/9/2018 3:55pm
JPT wrote:
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Amazing how our tastes are so much alike. Triumph & TT 500? I had two SR 500s bought the first one brand new in 78, loved...
Amazing how our tastes are so much alike. Triumph & TT 500? I had two SR 500s bought the first one brand new in 78, loved that bike even if you had to kick it. Kept the posers from messing with it.
I wanted a TT500 after I saw Rick Hocking take it to the 750s at the old Astrodome TT.
BMSOBx2
11/9/2018 4:32pm
JPT wrote:
I wanted a TT500 after I saw Rick Hocking take it to the 750s at the old Astrodome TT.
Did a lot of flat track at Lodi early in my racing career. I bought the SR5 because they looked a lot like the bikes I watched my heroes ride at Ascot, Sacramento and San Jose. Always had a thing for big singles like the Goldstar, Velocetts, Norton manx, Matchless etc.etc
.The Yamaha TT / SR was a great motorcycle. They weren't really fast but down a windy road they were hard to beat. Always fantasized about the Isle of Man.
boston_jorj
11/10/2018 4:54am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2018 4:55am
I’ll take my XSR900 over that any day, retro looks, yet still rips. Last year I searched the country for the last available 60th anniversary left and went and bought it.
JPT
11/10/2018 7:41am
I’ll take my XSR900 over that any day, retro looks, yet still rips. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/10/301538/s1200_12DB5861_7FA2_4DC4_9BF3_DF3BFAA2230B.jpg[/img] Last year I searched the country for the last available 60th anniversary...
I’ll take my XSR900 over that any day, retro looks, yet still rips. Last year I searched the country for the last available 60th anniversary left and went and bought it.
Still dig the bumblebee.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
11/10/2018 8:30am
I’ll take my XSR900 over that any day, retro looks, yet still rips. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/10/301538/s1200_12DB5861_7FA2_4DC4_9BF3_DF3BFAA2230B.jpg[/img] Last year I searched the country for the last available 60th anniversary...
Good looking bike. Smart move searching for and getting the anniversary model. If it is a rare model it should hold its value well

Post a reply to: New Kawasaki Street Bike

The Latest