New Garage- Must have tools?

rucka356
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 12:29pm
Already got the footers poured an block about 3/4 of the way done. Building an oversized 3 car garage, (38W x32D). I have one bay to use as a workshop/bike garage. What are the must haves for working on bikes? So far I know I am going to build a good sized work bench along the entire back and also have the following: Parts washer sink, 6" vise, Bench Grinder, Blast cabinet for Vapor blasting, Air Compressor, and some cabinets. What other items would you recommend? I'm also going to build some shelving that will hang from the ceiling, I will have 10ft ceilings.
And of course I will have a fridge and a tv out there :-)
|
plowboy
2/8/2020 10:33pm
rucka356 wrote:
Already got the footers poured an block about 3/4 of the way done. Building an oversized 3 car garage, (38W x32D). I have one bay to...
Already got the footers poured an block about 3/4 of the way done. Building an oversized 3 car garage, (38W x32D). I have one bay to use as a workshop/bike garage. What are the must haves for working on bikes? So far I know I am going to build a good sized work bench along the entire back and also have the following: Parts washer sink, 6" vise, Bench Grinder, Blast cabinet for Vapor blasting, Air Compressor, and some cabinets. What other items would you recommend? I'm also going to build some shelving that will hang from the ceiling, I will have 10ft ceilings.
Lol...a crate of 10mm sockets.
KMC440
2/9/2020 12:11am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 12:12am
Bike scissor lift.
2/9/2020 12:59am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 1:04am
Kettle/Coffee maker. Tin of biscuits/cookies.

Seriously bits of rubber mat mat for kneeling on. It's the $10 things that make the difference imho
jasonward73
2/9/2020 5:51am
This post is useless without detailed pics.

One advice I would give is that you can never have too many outlets (inside and out). Run 20amp plugs and don't daisy chain a shit ton together. If you do real garage shit your tools will draw a ton of power and long extension cords everywhere and multiple tools running off the same circuit suck. Plus adding more outlets after the fact sucks.

If you do a garage door opener get the one that mounts on the wall next to the door. And prewire an outlet for it.

And don't skimp on lighting. 5000k bright ass LEDs are amazing.

Having a drain (or drains) on the floor is also amazing.

The Shop

lukemoto
2/9/2020 6:02am
A nice set of t handle sockets, t handle allens, a 1/4 digital torque wrench, socket set, and crows feet.
That seems like what i use most.
Congrats on the new garage!
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/9/2020 8:12am
This post is useless without detailed pics. One advice I would give is that you can never have too many outlets (inside and out). Run 20amp...

One advice I would give is that you can never have too many outlets (inside and out). Run 20amp plugs and don't daisy chain a shit ton together. If you do real garage shit your tools will draw a ton of power and long extension cords everywhere and multiple tools running off the same circuit suck. Plus adding more outlets after the fact sucks.

If you do a garage door opener get the one that mounts on the wall next to the door. And prewire an outlet for it.

This, a spigot with hot and cold water is also very nice if that's an option.
borg
2/9/2020 8:54am
This post is useless without detailed pics. One advice I would give is that you can never have too many outlets (inside and out). Run 20amp...

Ditto. Put in a 50 amp/220v panel right from the git. Keep the compressor on it's own circuit. I also like multiple outlets and short extension cords. Look down the road. You will not always just work on bikes.
JeremyK
2/9/2020 10:02am
Hose reels for compressed air feed , an easy rolling crash cart to keep the most used tools in/on while working on a job.
rucka356
2/9/2020 10:47am
I will post pics once I get some more progress. I used to do electrical work so I will definitely have lots of outlets and lights. Thinking i need to make sure my compressor hose is strategically located so i can also service my cars in other bays
2/9/2020 11:26am
The best thing I did to my new garage was to bring in the plumbing for a wash sink and for a washing machine. There was no way my wife was going to let me put muddy moto gear into her new washer/dryer!
KMC440
2/9/2020 11:49am
A urinal. Unless you're in a rural area then you got no problems.
2/9/2020 12:28pm
rucka356 wrote:
Already got the footers poured an block about 3/4 of the way done. Building an oversized 3 car garage, (38W x32D). I have one bay to...
plowboy wrote:
I was looking for mine this morning - damn things disappear like my kids socks.
2/9/2020 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 12:30pm
I live down south - AC is a must have - especially for a sissy like me. And a refrigerator- mmmmm garage beer.
plowboy
2/9/2020 1:03pm
rucka356 wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I was looking for mine this morning - damn things disappear like my kids socks.
You got that right. I have a basket full of almost new odd socks. If I find a match I feel like Indiana Jones.

I go to the flea market a couple of times a month...just to dig through the tool stall. I buy every 10mm socket I come across. I bet I'd still have trouble finding one right now...no end of 7mm thoughDizzy
plowboy
2/9/2020 1:09pm
I live down south - AC is a must have - especially for a sissy like me. And a refrigerator- mmmmm garage beer.
I'm the opposite. It gets hella hot here in Kansas but I've got some good fans that make it bearable. It's the cold that used to keep me from the garage. I installed a natural gas heater and shazaam...so comfy. I live out here now. My vehicles get a lot more love now.
hillbilly
2/10/2020 4:15am
I use an old refrigerator with a real light bulb in it to store shit you don't want to freeze,paint,glue for sniffing,grease tubes,whatever

60 watt bulb in a clamp light keeps it warm in winter
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
2/10/2020 7:01am
This is handier then you may think it would be.

hillbilly
2/10/2020 7:43am
A working frig beside the no working one with a keg of pbr and some old bourbon in the freezer is handy as a shirt with a pocket
Robgvx
2/10/2020 11:51am
If you’re blasting then make sure you have a big ass compressor powerful enough to run it.
rucka356
4/28/2020 5:10pm
Thought I would update: Day 2 of framing, cant wait to get it finished to start tinkering
Premix4Life
Fantasy
1211th
4/28/2020 6:11pm
Awesome! As another has already suggested, a heater is kicks ass. One of these will warm it in 5 mins and can be thermostat regulated. And makes Supercross nights in the garage possible for me in NJ.
danman
4/29/2020 12:29pm
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm closing on a house on Friday. My garage/toybox will be a 30x40. Already has concrete, insulated walls, ceiling. I didn't assess the outlet situation, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to add some, and I most certainly have to fix the lighting. Currently sucks.

Post a reply to: New Garage- Must have tools?

The Latest