Netflix: 13th

akillerwombat
Pretty solid documentary.

Anyone see it yet?
|
Stephon
10/14/2016 4:47am
Yeah, I saw it. It was pretty sobering for me. Puts some things into perspective of some things are the way they are.
akillerwombat
10/14/2016 8:27am
IWreckALot wrote:
Care to tell us what it's about?
It's about the 13th amendment (the abolishment of slavery) and how all it really did was migrate slaved labor into prison systems, how the judicial system keeps prisons full via companies making laws in conjunction with officials, segregation, the war on drugs, BLM, etc.

I have a feeling a fair amount of folks around here are going to take a lot of issues with it for one reason or another but it's a great documentary showcasing the struggles for people of color throughout the history of the United States and how it's lead to their current situation.

Trailer:

The Shop

akillerwombat
10/14/2016 8:42am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 8:43am
TXDirt wrote:
[img]https://pics.onsizzle.com/3-men-in-3-different-positions-tpusa-com-in-america-color-4055905.png[/img]
It's amazing how a facebook meme somehow holds more value in todays society than a film filled with people that have dedicated their lives to studying the subject.

Watch the documentary – then come back to discuss.
Jmicmoto13
10/14/2016 11:43am
TXDirt wrote:
[img]https://pics.onsizzle.com/3-men-in-3-different-positions-tpusa-com-in-america-color-4055905.png[/img]
Amen
akillerwombat
10/14/2016 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 12:06pm
Yup, color doesn't define you...

akillerwombat
10/14/2016 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 12:12pm
Stephon wrote:
Yeah, I saw it. It was pretty sobering for me. Puts some things into perspective of some things are the way they are.
I agree.

They did a great job of showing that people on both side of the aisle have played a huge part in keeping struggling communities struggling. Granted there are those that have broken free of the cycle it's pretty hard to dismiss that the struggles of black men are far harder than that of white men in America (when looking at large populus vs individual cases).
10/14/2016 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 8:58pm
Some nights I grit my teeth until I think the enamel might be wearing off. That is all. But why not, I'll watch it.
akillerwombat
10/15/2016 9:39am
Some nights I grit my teeth until I think the enamel might be wearing off. That is all. But why not, I'll watch it.
How'd you like it?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/15/2016 1:30pm
Pretty solid documentary.

Anyone see it yet?
Ive seen it. I can't help but notice that you appear ready to pounce at any moment.
akillerwombat
10/16/2016 1:19pm
kzizok wrote:
Ive seen it. I can't help but notice that you appear ready to pounce at any moment.
Ha – I'm not much of a "pouncer".

I'm always down for some good discussion.
Stephon
10/17/2016 3:27pm
Stephon wrote:
I agree. They did a great job of showing that people on both side of the aisle have played a huge part in keeping struggling communities...
I agree.

They did a great job of showing that people on both side of the aisle have played a huge part in keeping struggling communities struggling. Granted there are those that have broken free of the cycle it's pretty hard to dismiss that the struggles of black men are far harder than that of white men in America (when looking at large populus vs individual cases).
Usually, as a black man, it's difficult to have a real conversation about it. Not so much because it's difficult emotionally, which it can be and more often than not is. It's more because many of those that are more likely to be treated well by "the system" would never believe that the color of ones skin makes any kind of difference whatsoever.

I always tell them that I genuinely appreciate their honestly. I don't think they are being disingenuous, they are just drawing on a very different experience.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/17/2016 4:58pm
Stephon wrote:
Stephon,

Not to change the subject, but does Boppin' at the glue factory ring any bells?
Stephon
10/17/2016 8:23pm
Stephon wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Stephon,

Absolutely! I remember working on it, about 10 years ago, in a mental hospital in Norwalk. The name was later changed to Junkie Nurse.

What made you ask about that blast from the past?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/18/2016 5:30am
Stephon wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Stephon,

Stephon wrote:
Absolutely! I remember working on it, about 10 years ago, in a mental hospital in Norwalk. The name was later changed to Junkie Nurse. What made...
Absolutely! I remember working on it, about 10 years ago, in a mental hospital in Norwalk. The name was later changed to Junkie Nurse.

What made you ask about that blast from the past?
I was reading your post about your commercial back when you put it up. That same day, I watched the movie and your name popped up in the opening credits Pure coincedence.
akillerwombat
10/18/2016 9:04am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2016 9:07am
Stephon wrote:
Usually, as a black man, it's difficult to have a real conversation about it. Not so much because it's difficult emotionally, which it can be and...
Usually, as a black man, it's difficult to have a real conversation about it. Not so much because it's difficult emotionally, which it can be and more often than not is. It's more because many of those that are more likely to be treated well by "the system" would never believe that the color of ones skin makes any kind of difference whatsoever.

I always tell them that I genuinely appreciate their honestly. I don't think they are being disingenuous, they are just drawing on a very different experience.
Sadly, I agree, far too many people lack the ability to see things from the other side of the fence and an even harder time accepting it when they do see it. This is exactly why I think everyone should volunteer for some sort of community service at some point in their lives. Like working at a restaurant; it's only going to make you a better person.

What I find so frustrating about all of this is how angry white people get at black (or hispanic) people who speak up against an injustice vs how forgiving they are of the people doing the injustice based on the color of the skin of people speaking up. For example: One guy, Top Jimmy, get treated poorly by his sponsor, he speaks up about it, and without even hearing the other side of the story the whole MX community is up in arms and "refuses to shop at his sponsors store". Yet we have millions of people who have been oppressed since before our country's formation speaking up about how poorly they've been treated, showing video evidence of it, and everyone rushes to discredit their claims / blame them for being in the situation they're in.

Seems a bit hypocritical.
Stephon
10/19/2016 12:59pm
Stephon wrote:
Usually, as a black man, it's difficult to have a real conversation about it. Not so much because it's difficult emotionally, which it can be and...

Sadly, I agree, far too many people lack the ability to see things from the other side of the fence and an even harder time accepting...
Sadly, I agree, far too many people lack the ability to see things from the other side of the fence and an even harder time accepting it when they do see it. This is exactly why I think everyone should volunteer for some sort of community service at some point in their lives. Like working at a restaurant; it's only going to make you a better person.

What I find so frustrating about all of this is how angry white people get at black (or hispanic) people who speak up against an injustice vs how forgiving they are of the people doing the injustice based on the color of the skin of people speaking up. For example: One guy, Top Jimmy, get treated poorly by his sponsor, he speaks up about it, and without even hearing the other side of the story the whole MX community is up in arms and "refuses to shop at his sponsors store". Yet we have millions of people who have been oppressed since before our country's formation speaking up about how poorly they've been treated, showing video evidence of it, and everyone rushes to discredit their claims / blame them for being in the situation they're in.

Seems a bit hypocritical.
Yes, I too believe that lacking the ability to see things from the other side is certainly an issue. I'm curious if anyone in the thread watched the film. It's much easier to just say that ones choices define your future and that skin color is pretty much irrelevant. If that were only true.

Post a reply to: Netflix: 13th

The Latest