Need to upgrade my Bike Hauler

jtiger12
3/8/2010 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 3:46am
Looking for opinions.

I have an 04 nissan frontier, I need more space now since my dog ruptured her achille's and can't get in the back of the cab anymore. so I have basically 2 options

(i've decided to stay with a nissan)

1: Nissan titan crew cab

- really small bed

2: Pathfinder

-get a bike caddy

any of you guys using a hitch caddy to transport your bikes? I don't really know how safe they are, and i don't want to loose my mx bike on the highway at 70 mph. Im still thinking about getting an enclosed trailer for long trips and taking both my bikes with me on race day (450 + 250). I've had a truck for so long, I am kind of leaning more towards a pathfinder for space, and comfort. I figure the pathfinder should get at least 4-5 MPG better than the titan, and about the same pulling a trailer.
|
fcr
3/8/2010 1:50pm
I have a Joe Hauler for a third bike off my truck. It works very well, weighs about a ton though. I have had a bike on in dirt roads for quite awhile and just kept checking it. If I had it to do over, I would get one of the easy lift types. A friend has one and he has had little issues, it is easier to store also. Also less of an issue with other cars not paying attention and running into the hauler, which has happened to me in a parking lot.
DDub8
3/8/2010 3:54pm
I have an aluminum hitch hauler and it works great. I tie down both of my wheels so the worst thing that can happen is the inside strap breaks and I drag my bike down the road on the handlebar for a while. I figure it's at least as safe as hauling a bike on a rail-type trailer with no sides.

I had a friend with one of the easy lift types and it worked well. A bit more expensive but nice and you can get a gas can rack for it. Look on Craigslist for either.
jtiger12
3/8/2010 6:16pm
thanks for the input. I looked at a pathfinder tonight. it was nice but seemed small compared to my old gmc jimmy. i guess they all got smaller. you guys using the hitches have suvs or trucks
KAWboy14
3/8/2010 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:16pm
i have this one....best $250 i ever spent

The Shop

plowboy
3/8/2010 6:47pm
I don't live close to anything so security was my priority. A van was the answer...I bought a slightly used 15 pax and took out the extra seats. It easily held 2 racers and a pit bike and all the assorted crap ya need for riding. Avg 15 mpg at 75/80 on the highway. I never had to worry when we spent the nite at motels. Just depends if it's a day trip or overniter, I guess.
fcr
3/8/2010 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2010 6:57pm
jtiger12 wrote:
thanks for the input. I looked at a pathfinder tonight. it was nice but seemed small compared to my old gmc jimmy. i guess they all...
thanks for the input. I looked at a pathfinder tonight. it was nice but seemed small compared to my old gmc jimmy. i guess they all got smaller. you guys using the hitches have suvs or trucks
I use with my F150 when I want to haul 3 bikes, gear and riders. The "Joe Hauler" that I have is built to last and is VERY solid. Weighs a ton and hard to store. I do as was said tie down the wheels also. Have had a bike offroad on it. Want to add I am trading my car for a FJ toyota, and will use it with that also. Would rather have one of the hydraulic types.

Post a reply to: Need to upgrade my Bike Hauler

The Latest