Need a new mountainbike, thoughts?

Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
9/24/2012 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2012 9:59am
Ok, I have a very nice older Gary Fisher Joshua F3. This bike has served me well over the years, but I believe it is time to put it out to pasture.

I would really like a 29r, disc brakes and probably a hard tail. Would like to stay around a grand or so and used is an option.

The local bike store (lbs) are pushing Giant Talon 0, and Giant XTC 1, good bikes, good components. Really like Gary Fisher who is now Trek, a Cobia, Mamba or even X-Cal.

Not certain if a model year or two newer on components and the like is worth the extra coin. It looks like an air fork is pretty much a no brainer.

Insights and ideas welcome.
|
TX24
9/24/2012 8:28pm
I'm sure out there in UT there must be plenty of nice used bikes for sale. Taken from a guy riding his Trek Fuel 90 on the street for eight years. I finally put street tires on it.
tunedlength
9/24/2012 9:27pm
You get the best bang for your buck with Giant.
ratonmacias
9/24/2012 10:20pm
Utrider wrote:
Ok, I have a very nice older Gary Fisher Joshua F3. This bike has served me well over the years, but I believe it is time...
Ok, I have a very nice older Gary Fisher Joshua F3. This bike has served me well over the years, but I believe it is time to put it out to pasture.

I would really like a 29r, disc brakes and probably a hard tail. Would like to stay around a grand or so and used is an option.

The local bike store (lbs) are pushing Giant Talon 0, and Giant XTC 1, good bikes, good components. Really like Gary Fisher who is now Trek, a Cobia, Mamba or even X-Cal.

Not certain if a model year or two newer on components and the like is worth the extra coin. It looks like an air fork is pretty much a no brainer.

Insights and ideas welcome.
i would get a newer bike if the older ones you are looking at dont have the newer standards like tapered steerer tube otherwise get the giant i currently own a 2012 spesh stumpjumper comp and even thou its only an x 7 and x9 sram it works way better than my 4 year old full xt hardtail. also check out the 650 b tire size it looks interesting.
FIREfish148
9/25/2012 3:23am
I was looking at the 29er's too. Cool bikes indeed. I think the only reason that I want one is because I heard Brayton talking about em in an interview and I haven't checked out the comp. IE: Giant, Trek, Ect.... I really want an intense, but they are like $8,000 dollars.

The Shop

Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
9/25/2012 11:06am
You get the best bang for your buck with Giant.
I have a call in on a 2011 Giant XTC 2 29r, lightly used for $1100, really curious about the difference between Sram stuff and Shimano, always had Shimano. On a review I was able to find they mentioned the 15mm axle being a big difference.

I guess one of the things is whole G2 thing Gary Fishers talk about, heard both good and bad. Guess I will have to swing a leg over a couple of them and see.

I tend to hang on to my stuff for awhile, and am kind of brand loyal when I find something that works for me.
Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
9/25/2012 3:50pm
Got a call back from the guy with the XTC and it is gone, will keep looking.

What is the difference with the tapered steer tube? I see it in a lot of reviews, just not sure what it does.
Spinner
9/25/2012 8:43pm
I just bought a new Trek/GaryFisher XCal. Love it!
My best recommendation is for you to demo a few different bikes and get what feels best for you.
Good luck!
Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
9/26/2012 9:59am
Spinner wrote:
I just bought a new Trek/GaryFisher XCal. Love it! My best recommendation is for you to demo a few different bikes and get what feels best...
I just bought a new Trek/GaryFisher XCal. Love it!
My best recommendation is for you to demo a few different bikes and get what feels best for you.
Good luck!
That sounds great! What kind of bike did you come off? I am just having a challenge making that extra $500 leap of faith, it is 50% more lol. In the big scheme of things not really that big of a deal to get what you want I guess.

Post a reply to: Need a new mountainbike, thoughts?

The Latest