Mythbusters- Diesel

wpcjs
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:45pm
I just got done watching the show where they tested all kinds of add ons for diesel cars and none of them worked for shit, but then they dumped used cooking oil ( they filtered the food crumbs out of it ) in the car and it ran fine. With the diesel fuel it got 33mpg, with the oil it got 30mpg. I have access to a lot of oil and am thinking of buying a beater dielsel to try it.
|
RMZ290
6/22/2008 10:16am
good luck, most people have to pay for used cooking oil now and you usually need to filter it a lot before you can run it through a car. Add to the fact about running it in colder weather.
fcr
6/22/2008 11:22am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2008 11:23am
Filter/storage kits are available now. I am in need of getting a more hauler friendly truck and am stumped as to what to get now.

Whoops, just looked at carnies link.
xewbx
6/22/2008 2:30pm
wpcjs wrote:
I just got done watching the show where they tested all kinds of add ons for diesel cars and none of them worked for shit, but...
I just got done watching the show where they tested all kinds of add ons for diesel cars and none of them worked for shit, but then they dumped used cooking oil ( they filtered the food crumbs out of it ) in the car and it ran fine. With the diesel fuel it got 33mpg, with the oil it got 30mpg. I have access to a lot of oil and am thinking of buying a beater dielsel to try it.
Using SVO works just fine.........as long as you're willing to deal with the PITA factor. If you use waste veggie oil, WVO, you've got to filter it. That, and the fact that SVO congeals at a very high temperature, makes for some setup. The most common setup is a seperate tank for the SVO.........you start your truck on regular diesel, and when it's hot, switch to the SVO aux tank. Then, just before you shut down, switch back to the regular tank. Alternatively, you can run a tank heater, and a preheater, and run it off the main. Even if you use a aux tank, unless you live somewhere that never gets below 70 degrees, you'll need some kind of tank heater.

Also, before you commit, check your oil source if your using WVO. If the supplier over uses it, and it becomes over hydrogenized, it may be unuseable or require some additional work. Plenty of websites on it, and places where you can buy test kits to check the oil quality.

The Shop

jtomasik
6/22/2008 2:34pm
Go to the Ford Powerstroke Forum web site. They have a bunch of guys who have first-hand experience with WVO.

Post a reply to: Mythbusters- Diesel

The Latest