My gun of the month

G-man
4/7/2020 6:52pm
While a shotgun is easier to hit a target with than a handgun, it's not like the movies where it automatically hits right where it should...
While a shotgun is easier to hit a target with than a handgun, it's not like the movies where it automatically hits right where it should. They still need to be aimed. There are various versions of the 590, all of which are higher than the traditional shotgun capacity of only 5 rounds. You really still need to practice, and unless you're going to practice all the time, the 590 with a nub for a handgrip is likely going to be less accurate than desired. I would suggest a traditional 590A1 with a shoulder stock.

If you're leaning toward a revolver, the .357 Magnum with a 4 inch or longer barrel would be at the top of my list. While the longer barrel isn't as conducive to concealed carry, it is easier to keep the target in the sites than a shorter barrel, and will have less recoil than a shorter barreled model. A huge advantage of the 357 is the ability to shoot 38 Special ammo through it, which is cheaper and has less recoil. This makes it perfect ammo to use for practice, then load up with something like a Hornady FTX in .357 while in personal defense mode (sort of like practicing on pump gas, but racing on race fuel).

Truth be told, if you pick up a firearm and actually go practice with it, you'll likely be thinking of what might compliment your existing purchase. Eventually a shotgun, rifle and handgun will all grace your home (hey, that could make for a good county song).
Thanks Matt! 👍
mx12boy
Fantasy
1875th
4/7/2020 9:37pm
I got three this month. A Benelli Nova,Glock G45 Talo Marine Corps edition and a Savage 320. The Glock is just going to be a safe queen.
JAFO92
4/8/2020 5:40am
lostboy819 wrote:
Mossberg shockwave 12gauge. https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/07/418075/s1200_SHOCKWAVE_Moss_Shock_2464.jpg[/img]
I had a Mossberg 500 JIC thing once, but would not recommend that style shotgun to anyone in 12 gauge. The recoil is very hard on the trigger hand and it is not like in the movies with the Terminator shooting it. I gave it to my son because IMHO those types of scatterguns in 12 gauge are novelties, not something to deal with at 2am when you are roused outta bed by an intruder, your adrenaline is off the charts and your groggy and half asleep.

I would, however, be curious what a 20, 28 or 4.10 gauge felt like in that configuration.

The Shop

JeremyK
4/8/2020 6:45am
I keep thinking about checking out a lever action .410 for my next toy.
Forty
4/8/2020 7:17am
G-man wrote:
Ok you gun phreaks what do you guys recommend best for home protection shotgun or a handgun and what kind? I am not looking to break...
Ok you gun phreaks what do you guys recommend best for home protection shotgun or a handgun and what kind?

I am not looking to break the bank I'm not a big gun enthusiast like you guys so I just need something to serve a purpose if need be.

Thanks
Hoseclamp wrote:
My vote goes to the shotgun for home defence. Plenty of power, lots of choices for loads so it can perform more than one job. I...
My vote goes to the shotgun for home defence. Plenty of power, lots of choices for loads so it can perform more than one job. I think it has less of a chance to over penetrate vs. an AR and handguns are for CCW. I also dont see anything wrong with a pump. They are much cheaper and Ive never had an issue with feeding, short stroking, or double pump (whatever that is) on an Remington 870 or Mossburg 500 or anything other than the KSG. Practice with your gun to make sure your comfortable with it.
With the pump shotgun you get the unmistakable sound of jacking a round into the chamber. Usually that’s all it takes to clear the house.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4198th
4/8/2020 7:45am
I like lever actions

G-man
4/8/2020 8:07am
lostboy819 wrote:
Mossberg shockwave 12gauge. https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/07/418075/s1200_SHOCKWAVE_Moss_Shock_2464.jpg[/img]
JAFO92 wrote:
I had a Mossberg 500 JIC thing once, but would not recommend that style shotgun to anyone in 12 gauge. The recoil is very hard on...
I had a Mossberg 500 JIC thing once, but would not recommend that style shotgun to anyone in 12 gauge. The recoil is very hard on the trigger hand and it is not like in the movies with the Terminator shooting it. I gave it to my son because IMHO those types of scatterguns in 12 gauge are novelties, not something to deal with at 2am when you are roused outta bed by an intruder, your adrenaline is off the charts and your groggy and half asleep.

I would, however, be curious what a 20, 28 or 4.10 gauge felt like in that configuration.
Yep that is pretty much what my buddy said. So with that said I will probably go look at the FULL size Mossberg's.

Need to decide between the 500 and 590.

Thanks!
JAFO92
4/8/2020 8:43am
G-man wrote:
Yep that is pretty much what my buddy said. So with that said I will probably go look at the FULL size Mossberg's. Need to decide...
Yep that is pretty much what my buddy said. So with that said I will probably go look at the FULL size Mossberg's.

Need to decide between the 500 and 590.

Thanks!
FWIW Gman, I keep the 38 Special on the night stand and a Remington pump shotgun by the bed, both with self dense loads. I know most guys have said it and you are certainly bright enough to conclude as much, but hitting the range and practice is more important really than any preference/choice on style/caliber. You gotta know exactly how the weapon behaves and using it being second nature even when adrenaline kicks in.

The gentleman who did my LTC class years ago (and has been an instructor/enthusiast for 40+ years) has small sized .410 pump loaded with those fancy self defense loads and a laser sight on it. He feels that arrangement would be best for him in the dark and/or pressure situation. Light weight, minimal recoil and that laser dot to help make sure where the center of the scatter would go. A 590 chambered in .410 with this kinda ammo would be very effective. Let us know what your decision ends up being.

newmann
4/8/2020 8:58am
People (dumbasses actually) always want to carry on about how deadly the scary black AR15 or a 9mm is but damn, a shotgun round is some seriously destructive stuff. Laughing Doesn't matter if birdshot, buck, slug or home defense rounds.
Gworm
4/8/2020 10:29am
G-man wrote:
Okay guys I did some quick searching and found this. https://www.cabelas.com/category/Revolvers/105527880.uts Good price! https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker? sku=17656106 https://www.cabelas.com/category/Revolvers/105527880.uts https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=17656106 Are all the 590 short tactical type shotguns I...
Okay guys I did some quick searching and found this.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Revolvers/105527880.uts

Good price!
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?
sku=17656106

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Revolvers/105527880.uts

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=17656106

Are all the 590 short tactical type shotguns I kind of like having a shorter shotgun is it not as accurate?
https://www.scheels.com/p/mossberg-590-shockwave-shotgun/1676-50653.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500

I kind of want a revolver for when I go camping as a shotgun would be kind of too much don't you think to take on the road?

But my good buddy says unless you practice a lot with a revolver it won't be very accurate and the shotguns the way to go.

Thanks

Lots of good advise on here... but lots of choices.

Like has already been said, whatever you get, practice and familiarize yourself with it so you have the confidence to handle it safely.

One more thing, if you know any old truck drivers, ask them what a “good buddy” is...
JeremyK
4/8/2020 11:47am
newmann wrote:
People (dumbasses actually) always want to carry on about how deadly the scary black AR15 or a 9mm is but damn, a shotgun round is some...
People (dumbasses actually) always want to carry on about how deadly the scary black AR15 or a 9mm is but damn, a shotgun round is some seriously destructive stuff. Laughing Doesn't matter if birdshot, buck, slug or home defense rounds.
How about just the sound of the action cycling a round in the chamber when you're in a place you are not supposed to be. LOL
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/8/2020 12:34pm
lostboy819 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
I had a Mossberg 500 JIC thing once, but would not recommend that style shotgun to anyone in 12 gauge. The recoil is very hard on...

Depends on the load and shot of the shells you use in a home defense shotgun. A 12 gauge with light defense loads does not kick much at all and very easy to control and aim. Now if you want to use slugs or a heavy load with high velocity shells then its not the way to go. Get a gun and ammo for its intended purpose.
JAFO92
4/8/2020 1:06pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Depends on the load and shot of the shells you use in a home defense shotgun. A 12 gauge with light defense loads does not kick...
Depends on the load and shot of the shells you use in a home defense shotgun. A 12 gauge with light defense loads does not kick much at all and very easy to control and aim. Now if you want to use slugs or a heavy load with high velocity shells then its not the way to go. Get a gun and ammo for its intended purpose.
I wasnt using high velocity anything, just citing my opinion. Im no noob to firearms in all incarnations. Your opinion may vary and most certainly equally as valid. Vive la différence !!

Gworm
4/8/2020 1:46pm
Wow!! What a gun.

Also...

Wow! A downvote?
just James
4/8/2020 7:10pm
About 30 years ago, a drug store/gun store near where I lived had this gun for sale that I used to drool over frequently. I had told my wife about it, and so she bought it for me for my birthday. I probably put about a box of rounds through it, but it is not really very pleasant to shoot. I put it in a case, and basically ignored it for many years.
A few years ago, I got it out and noticed that it is serial number one! They only made this model in 44 magnum for a short period of time. I will never fire it again, and one of my daughters will get it when I croak.
Ebs
4/9/2020 7:52am
Pistol grip shotguns are a bit of a novelty. If you're ballin on a budget pickup the 18" Mossberg 930. Skip the pump actions and go with an autoloader.
Harry_Gray
4/9/2020 9:57am
newmann wrote:
People (dumbasses actually) always want to carry on about how deadly the scary black AR15 or a 9mm is but damn, a shotgun round is some...
My cousin and I were talking a few weeks ago in regards to this subject; and he mentioned that turkey shot works in a pinch. I have 00 Buck in my 870, just in case; but good to know there are alternatives out there if you need something else to use.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/12/2020 9:05am
Oh yeah,after two weeks my gun club is open again to just the members so I have a lane reserved for tomorrow. Got a couple new crimson trace lasers I need to sight in and just burn through some ammo because I am running out of room to store it, bought it cheap and stacked it deep. EvilCool
captmoto
4/12/2020 10:31am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 10:33am
Forty wrote:
With the pump shotgun you get the unmistakable sound of jacking a round into the chamber. Usually that’s all it takes to clear the house.
Why give a bad guy a warning? He didn't warn you he was coming in.
JeremyK
4/12/2020 11:32am
captmoto wrote:
Even justified killings keep people awake afterwards ,it's probably easier on most people to scare them away.
newmann
4/12/2020 11:58am
Forty wrote:
captmoto wrote:
To save yourself the hassle of $85,000.00 in legal fees defending yourself?
blusmbl
4/13/2020 5:33pm
While a shotgun is easier to hit a target with than a handgun, it's not like the movies where it automatically hits right where it should...
While a shotgun is easier to hit a target with than a handgun, it's not like the movies where it automatically hits right where it should. They still need to be aimed. There are various versions of the 590, all of which are higher than the traditional shotgun capacity of only 5 rounds. You really still need to practice, and unless you're going to practice all the time, the 590 with a nub for a handgrip is likely going to be less accurate than desired. I would suggest a traditional 590A1 with a shoulder stock.

If you're leaning toward a revolver, the .357 Magnum with a 4 inch or longer barrel would be at the top of my list. While the longer barrel isn't as conducive to concealed carry, it is easier to keep the target in the sites than a shorter barrel, and will have less recoil than a shorter barreled model. A huge advantage of the 357 is the ability to shoot 38 Special ammo through it, which is cheaper and has less recoil. This makes it perfect ammo to use for practice, then load up with something like a Hornady FTX in .357 while in personal defense mode (sort of like practicing on pump gas, but racing on race fuel).

Truth be told, if you pick up a firearm and actually go practice with it, you'll likely be thinking of what might compliment your existing purchase. Eventually a shotgun, rifle and handgun will all grace your home (hey, that could make for a good county song).
x2 on all of this. If you want a revolver, I really like the 686 Smith and Wesson series, I think they're smoother shooting than the comparable Rugers. I have one in a 6" barrel and it's really pleasant and easy to shoot on 38 special, but is amusing and entertaining on hot 357 + P ammo.

Also agree that once you end up with one gun, they seem to multiply. After I bought my 686 a Remington 1100 happened to show up, mostly to shoot trap/skeet/clays with friends.
4/13/2020 8:48pm
just James wrote:
Being a revolver guy myself, I would recommend a double action 38 special with a 4-6 inch barrel. Fairly inexpensive, and if you pull the trigger...
Being a revolver guy myself, I would recommend a double action 38 special with a 4-6 inch barrel.
Fairly inexpensive, and if you pull the trigger it WILL fire. An inexpensive semi auto may be prone to malfunctioning.
And like others have said, a shotgun is also a good choice.
JAFO92 wrote:
38 Special +P When it absolutely, positively has to fire...... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/07/418011/s1200_38_Special001.jpg[/img]
38 Special +P

When it absolutely, positively has to fire......

Pull the trigger. Nothin happened? Pull it again. Bang. Pull it again. Bang. Etc......no jams. No failure to feed. No failure to eject. Love it.

Glock.
Pull trigger. Nothin happens ? Shit. Maintain safe direction. Drop mag. Lock slide to rear. Inspect barrel. Clear? Replace loaded mag. Drop slide. Pull trigger. Nothing happens? Shit. repeat.

My wife just wants to pull the trigger.

Post a reply to: My gun of the month

The Latest