My best friend is gone.

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
I got a message today asking if my best friend Dwayne was ok. I had just talked to him Saturday after a week of me being out of town on vacation. I texted back he is fine. I then got multiple texts saying he was gone but no details. He had been depressed after a break up with a girl. No biggie for him as a big kid that dated many girls and had it going on with a successful roofing company and a good sense of humor. He had so many girls after him but this one girl tore him up and he left his car running in the garage and passed Saturday night.
He always got me through tough times so I am completly shocked.
In 10th grade I was realizing that not one kid in my high school rode dirtbikes. No one. Then one day these two new kids, brothers, show up in the lunch line wearing Kawasaki jerseys. I wander up and ask if they ride or they just think the shirts are cool and the say they have a pair of 87 kx125's which I also had. We met at a local place I had been riding and were best friends since and kept riding together for the next 25 years. Riding trumped all things and I could always count on him to come riding every week no matter what. We had the best times. We experienced a lot of firsts as kids do growing up. His brother died not long ago in an accident and he has not talked to the rest of his family in a long time. I have not hung out with him outside of moto much in a decade but we talk many times a week and stop by to say hello frequently, dinners, lunches etc. He is still a partying bachelor and I am the dedicated family man so I don't knows his recent friends to well. We are always brothers.
So I don't believe it and I drive by his house today. Dwayne had a lot of toys and a shoebox of money because he started believing all these conspiracies lately and had a preppers mentality all of a sudden. I get to his house and these guys I dont know are going through his stuff. His family is estranged for ten years. I ask what the hell is going on and guy nervously says he is Dwaynes close friend and was the one who found him. He says he is just cleaning up before the family gets in town. I call b.s. and say no one should be in his house until family is there. I am closest family. I call police and when they show up they say guy is a fireman and has a key so it's not their concern. I am shocked. I finally got in touch with his sister and she said the guy shouldn't of been in there but knew who he was and going to help with memorial but still should not of been in there. Who knows what all they took. The guy knows no one knows what he has. I am so freaked out by all of it and feel helpless. Really sucks. I am so mad at Dwayne and really just in shock.
Thanks in advance for any kind words.
|
5/21/2019 8:10pm
I’m very sorry for your loss. I have been there and it’s a hell of a thing losing someone you care about like that.
TXDirt
5/21/2019 8:25pm
Sorry for your loss, brother. Prayers for all involved.
500guy
5/21/2019 8:26pm
Sorry for your loss, How old was Dwayne?

Also if his Family was estranged and he had no kids, don't sweat the material things, I know it's messed up but forget about it, You can't do anything about it and it will just consume you.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/21/2019 8:38pm
500guy wrote:
Sorry for your loss, How old was Dwayne? Also if his Family was estranged and he had no kids, don't sweat the material things, I know...
Sorry for your loss, How old was Dwayne?

Also if his Family was estranged and he had no kids, don't sweat the material things, I know it's messed up but forget about it, You can't do anything about it and it will just consume you.
Dwayne was 46. He had a head injury not long ago and has acted really odd since. It's like his emotions just went to the extreme any direction which was never the case before.
Thanks I will try and not let it.

The Shop

rongi#401
5/21/2019 10:23pm
Sorry for your loss, that’s a very tough situation
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
5/22/2019 12:38am
Damn, that sucks. I still stay pretty emotionally unattached after a heartbreak 10 years ago man

If you ever need someone to message or talk to, I’ll give you my contact info and you can feel free to hit me up ?? I’ve lost 2 friends to suicide since 2016 and as you know, it’s a bad feeling
ohiomotoxer
5/22/2019 1:45am
I feel ya, one year anniversary of my friend of 45 plus years took his life. And anniversary on Fathers day coming up of my best friend dying in a street bike crash in 2004.
Same here if you need to talk.
Casting
5/22/2019 3:56am
Dwayne sounds like he was a good dude and great moto friend.

I'm sorry for your loss. Good on you for not letting those guys rummage through his belongings.
motogrady
5/22/2019 4:13am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2019 5:13am
Truly a bummer.

The stuff, even the cash........maybe just let it go. It's, gone, he had no kids, his family wasn't around ...........
why poison your life, your mental being, with something that really doesn't matter anymore?

The last place I worked we lost one of the owners. He was a special kind of guy. Built his life up from nothing.
His wife had these 5 or 6 cork boards set up, along with his HS yearbook, with what looked like every Polaroid he had ever taken. You could see the life he had in those pictures. Which was a hell of a ride. Some of the stories that were shared were priceless.

I dunno. I'm nobody to give advice........but that memorial, the stories people shared, was imo the best way to pay homage to a guys life. Something like that, is really the only thing left you can do for the good friend you had.
KMC440
5/22/2019 4:52am
So sad for your loss FL ...
Take the times spent and put them in your memory forever. No one can take them and they're more valuable than any object could ever be.
Peace.
newmann
5/22/2019 5:46am
Sorry to hear about your friend. Sucks that the shitbirds were starting to flock around.

RIP Dwayne.
huck
5/22/2019 6:16am
Sorry to read this story and for your loss. Being prepared to die should be one thing that we all do...so our loved ones have no question about what we have. I have insurance policies and accounts that my wife/kids have no idea about...but will once I'm gone.

Cherish your good memories!!!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/22/2019 7:38am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2019 7:39am
Wow, really sorry to hear this. Hang in there man, like mentioned above remember the good times and stay positive.
G-man
5/22/2019 8:56am
Sorry to hear about your good friend FLmxer.
He sounds like a good guy try to just cherish the good times with him.

There is nothing you can have done don't let it weigh on you.
jeffro503
5/22/2019 8:59am
Man FL , I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing best friends , or someone really close to you can be really hard. It's sad to hear that he took his own life , but it also sounds like maybe he wasn't in the right state of mind. And good for you on calling the police on those guy's , because it sounds like they were rooting through all his stuff , to take what they could before the family stepped in. But just like what Jay mentioned above , it's just material thing's. My condolences go out to you and his family. RIP Dwayne.
Kenny Lingus
5/22/2019 9:32am
It always amazes me how someone's death brings out the greed in people, not talking about you of course op. My dad died over two years ago and I'm still dealing with his neighbors that feel I "owe" them.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/22/2019 10:21am
I just want to reinforce the sentiment that you shouldn't worry about Dwayne's stuff. Let all that go.

My wife's grandma passed away, leaving all her life's possessions to the husband (step-grandpa.) His daughter swept in and took control of all his finances and life insurance accounts, etc., including anything grandma had left him. Sure enough, as is often the case, the man died about a year later and the daughter took everything that wasn't bolted down. My wife's family had to break into the house so they could steal grandma's recipe book and keep it in the family.
It's too bad, but it's just stuff.

Try to remember the good times.
5/22/2019 11:43am
Sorry to hear of your loss. Remember the good times you had, and also remember to take care of yourself during this sad time.
71Fish
5/22/2019 12:10pm
That's a tough one, sorry for your lost.
I haven't lost anyone that close to suicide but we've all lost someone.
The last friend that committed suicide still haunts me and others because we saw the behavior, but it wasn't out of the ordinary for him, but it was different, and no one did anything. 3 of our friends who are cops responded.
peelout
5/22/2019 12:50pm
damn man, i'm really sorry for your loss
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
5/22/2019 1:05pm
Sorry for your loss,I lost a long time friend about a year ago.Was a riding buddy also and good riding buddies are hard to come by. And as stated don't worry about his stuff and remember the good times.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/22/2019 3:30pm
Thanks everyone. Really hurting today but will get through this. Hard to process it but will remain strong and i will always remember the good times. Thank you all again.
jeffro503
5/22/2019 3:38pm
FLmxer wrote:
Thanks everyone. Really hurting today but will get through this. Hard to process it but will remain strong and i will always remember the good times...
Thanks everyone. Really hurting today but will get through this. Hard to process it but will remain strong and i will always remember the good times. Thank you all again.
Do exactly that man! I'm sure you have a lot of great memories , pics , ect with your buddy Dwayne. Use those , and remember the great times! It sucks losing someone that close , but to stay strong and remember everything good....is a great way to keep his spirit alive and well.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/22/2019 7:58pm
So sorry to hear about your friend. I can't say anything better than anyone here already has about coping. But I can share a story about 2 of my best friends ever. I lost both of my best childhood riding buddies when I was 19 and 24. I rode with them nearly everyday growing up and several times a week when a little older. There is nothing like riding buddies from your childhood. From the time I was in first grade, they were there for some of the most crazy, ridiculous fails and successes I ever had on a bike. Urban legend stories that only our eyes have seen. I would never have been as good a rider as I became if not for them and riding has not been the same without them. That's been a little over 20 years. We rode so much together that riding together was a habit. Practicing to try and keep them behind me was also a habit. I still to this day when I am just doing laps or riding trails and I mess up I still I know one of them would be going by me on the inside line. Or when I do something really well or really cool I sometimes think they would have appreciated that. I don't know if it is healthy or not but it happens now and again.

I know that story is not going to help any whatsoever but the truth is that nothing I could say would. Nothing is going to bring my friends back but sometimes when I throw a leg over a bike, they are never gone. I guess that is the cool thing about moto brothers.
JM485
5/23/2019 12:42pm
Really sorry to hear that, wish you the best and hope you’re doing alright. When a friend of mine died a few years ago some advice my uncle had given me really rang true. Essentially, grieving is work, and no matter how long you put it off you’ll eventually have to put in the work. For me at the time, I was in school and really didn’t take enough time for myself to deal with what had happened, I tried to just push through and focus on my schoolwork and riding rather than deal with the inevitable. As a result I think the emotional toll probably dragged on a little longer than it should have, but eventually I saw this as an opportunity to try to change my outlook for the better. I made a bigger effort to make time for friends, I focused on racing and made a commitment to improve, and I tried to live more in the present rather than be too concerned with the future. This was my personal experience, different situations and different people will obviously need different approaches, but I thought I’d share.
ohiomotoxer
5/23/2019 3:12pm
Feelings for losing a friend from an accident or natural causes vs a friend that takes their life is a bit different, for me at least.
My friend that crashed his street bike I think of every day. My friend that committed suicide..it sickens my stomach to think of him.
It is sad that I just want to forget him.
OldPro277
5/24/2019 10:39am
Losing friends too early sucks, losing riding friends too early sucks even worse. Its a small band of brothers we are. Just remember the laughs and good times, don't let those unknown blood-suckers ruin his memory for you.
greenmx5
5/24/2019 11:16am
Stay busy and keep company around if possible. Sure there comes time to be alone and collect your thoughts, but if you're sitting at home alone all day with nothing to do, it's going to drive you crazy. When I lost one of my best friends, I always tried to tell myself, "he'd hit me if he saw me sitting here crying."

And true character in the people close to the person who passed will always show in the time of death, sadly.

Post a reply to: My best friend is gone.

The Latest