My New Baby (Les Paul - guitar thread)

Nerd
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:39pm
I bought a new Les Paul a month or so ago. And I'm in love.

I've always liked the look of gold-tops, but I had a LP a long time ago, and it was too heavy, didn't play that well, and really didn't suit my purposes. But I owned it for a year and sold it for more than I paid for it (sold: $1800, paid: $1600).

But it was a 1995 version of the Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Reissue Black Beauty with three humbuckers in it. It was pretty, but not a great guitar.

But I ran into a 2011 Les Paul Standard Pro at Guitar Center with P90s in it. And I love P90s. I have a Firebird with P90s in it, too (which I bought in part to avoid buying a Les Paul).

This Les Paul is fucking amazing. It's not just how it plays, physically, but the P90s are split-coils with push-pull knobs, so you can chop the power. I can make this LP sound like a Strat, or just about anything I want. It's fucking awesome.

Just sharing because I'm pumped. I've been playing this thing at least an hour a day since I bought it, and it has made me a better player (simply the motivation of wanting to play does that).

Here's a pic:

It retails for $3399, according to the Gibson site (click here to check the webpage on it: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Le… ), but the street price (I think it's a Guitar Center exclusive) is $1999. There's the gold-top, which has a '50s-style neck (fatter) and a black one with a '60s-style neck (thinner), and the '60s one at GC was $100 less.

I offered them $1900 out the door, and they did $1950. And I'm in love. Such a fucking great blues guitar. Or rock guitar. Or whatever. Great for slide - anything. Amazing shit. Highly recommended, and I'm not a "Les Paul" guy.
|
9/1/2011 3:29pm
Nice guitar. I have always wanted a LP but never could have afforded one. Every one I have ever played in the stores was awesome. One of my idols played a LP with P90s, Mike Ness.
Racer92
9/1/2011 4:04pm
Wanna borrow my Roy Clark Big Note guitar book ? Wink

borg
9/1/2011 4:30pm
I haven't played any of the newer Les Pauls. With all the advances in technology since I bought mine (1972), they are probably even sweeter. I'll never admit though. Jeff Beck made some great music with the LP. Have fun.
Nerd
9/1/2011 6:31pm
Nice guitar. I have always wanted a LP but never could have afforded one. Every one I have ever played in the stores was awesome. One...
Nice guitar. I have always wanted a LP but never could have afforded one. Every one I have ever played in the stores was awesome. One of my idols played a LP with P90s, Mike Ness.
P90s are really cool. Even the ones that aren't split-coils like mine are way more versatile, in my opinion. Turn the guitar down and you get way cleaner tones. Turn it up, and it can get crunchy. Through distortion, even more variety. Love P90s. And these split-coils take that and make them even more versatile.

And Racer92, thanks!

The Shop

Nerd
9/1/2011 6:57pm
Antipodean wrote:
Nice.

No endangered species were harmed in its making, right?
No idea. Don't really care, either. Smile
Cygnus
9/1/2011 7:28pm
Nice axe! Glad you are enjoying it.
Nerd
9/2/2011 10:25am
That's funny. That CEO is obviously leaving a lot out of the story, and you're obviously trying to be funny by blaming it on Obama.

If you import wood illegally, I'm sure there are different standards to importing an actual finished product.

Instead, why don't they import legal wood?
motogeezer
9/2/2011 11:03am
Nice, Steve!

I don't remember the last time I saw a Les Paul Custom for under $2,000. (Yours is a Custom, right?)

Actually I do remember.

A few years ago, Guitar Center in Brea had a "Tobacco Burst" Lefty on the wall for $1400.

I almost bought it on the spot, but figured I should warm my wife to the idea first.

After a few days of schmoozing the wife, I went back...

It was gone!
Racer92
9/2/2011 11:11am
Bummer on that one Geezer.

I know some guys prefer Fender, but I think every guitar player should have at least one quality LP in their lifetime. If you ever find the right one, it just feels right in your hands immediately.

Nerdy needs to put up some Youtube clips of Goldie in action !
Nerd
9/2/2011 12:12pm
motogeezer wrote:
Nice, Steve! I don't remember the last time I saw a Les Paul Custom for under $2,000. (Yours is a Custom, right?) Actually I do remember...
Nice, Steve!

I don't remember the last time I saw a Les Paul Custom for under $2,000. (Yours is a Custom, right?)

Actually I do remember.

A few years ago, Guitar Center in Brea had a "Tobacco Burst" Lefty on the wall for $1400.

I almost bought it on the spot, but figured I should warm my wife to the idea first.

After a few days of schmoozing the wife, I went back...

It was gone!
Mine's not a Custom. It's a Standard Pro.

I had a Custom way back when, but not anymore. And this guitar is far superior to that Custom that I had before.

Are you a lefty?
Nerd
9/2/2011 12:13pm
Racer92 wrote:
Bummer on that one Geezer. I know some guys prefer Fender, but I think every guitar player should have at least one quality LP in their...
Bummer on that one Geezer.

I know some guys prefer Fender, but I think every guitar player should have at least one quality LP in their lifetime. If you ever find the right one, it just feels right in your hands immediately.

Nerdy needs to put up some Youtube clips of Goldie in action !
I always preferred Strats, and I still love my Strat.

Strats aren't the same, though. Strats are harder to play (which is good, in my opinion) because the longer scale makes sustain tougher to get, and same with the lower-powered single-coils, etc. You really have to saw at a Strat (which is awesome, and I love doing it) whereas the LP you can just kind of be nice to it...

Smile
motogeezer
9/2/2011 1:15pm
Nerd wrote:
Mine's not a Custom. It's a Standard Pro. I had a Custom way back when, but not anymore. And this guitar is far superior to that...
Mine's not a Custom. It's a Standard Pro.

I had a Custom way back when, but not anymore. And this guitar is far superior to that Custom that I had before.

Are you a lefty?
Yep. I'm a lefty.

I only have two off-the-rack guitars out of the seven guitars I currently own: My Strat of almost 30 years (my all-time favorite), and the old Takamine acoustic I got for H.S. Graduation back in mumblemumblemumble.

Of the other five, I ordered a lefty ES-335 from Gibson, a W-14 Grand Auditorium from Taylor, Yamaha built me a guitar to play at a Yamaha sponsored gig at the Budokan in 1990 (only time I ever played it, and it's currently on semi-permanent loan to my left-handed nephew), an unlabeled hollow body Telecaster copy built for me by Bernie Heffner of Eden Haus fame, and a TR Strat copy built to my specs by Tom Riser of Strings and Things in Fullerton.

It sucks to be a lefty and see all the wonderful axes hanging on the wall at Guitar Center, and the only left-handed ones are an Indonesian Strat, and a $175 Yamaha acoustic...
Nerd
9/2/2011 1:33pm
motogeezer wrote:
Yep. I'm a lefty. I only have two off-the-rack guitars out of the seven guitars I currently own: My Strat of almost 30 years (my all-time...
Yep. I'm a lefty.

I only have two off-the-rack guitars out of the seven guitars I currently own: My Strat of almost 30 years (my all-time favorite), and the old Takamine acoustic I got for H.S. Graduation back in mumblemumblemumble.

Of the other five, I ordered a lefty ES-335 from Gibson, a W-14 Grand Auditorium from Taylor, Yamaha built me a guitar to play at a Yamaha sponsored gig at the Budokan in 1990 (only time I ever played it, and it's currently on semi-permanent loan to my left-handed nephew), an unlabeled hollow body Telecaster copy built for me by Bernie Heffner of Eden Haus fame, and a TR Strat copy built to my specs by Tom Riser of Strings and Things in Fullerton.

It sucks to be a lefty and see all the wonderful axes hanging on the wall at Guitar Center, and the only left-handed ones are an Indonesian Strat, and a $175 Yamaha acoustic...
I've run into a couple of people with kids who are leftist and they asked me what guitars are good to get their kid started, and I told them if the kid hasn't started yet, just get him right-handed guitars and he'll be fine. More guitars for cheaper, and in some ways having your dominant hand for the fretboard has to be better.
motogeezer
9/2/2011 1:50pm
Nerd wrote:
I've run into a couple of people with kids who are leftist and they asked me what guitars are good to get their kid started, and...
I've run into a couple of people with kids who are leftist and they asked me what guitars are good to get their kid started, and I told them if the kid hasn't started yet, just get him right-handed guitars and he'll be fine. More guitars for cheaper, and in some ways having your dominant hand for the fretboard has to be better.
I have a friend who has been teaching his lefty son to play right handed.

The kid's doing pretty good, but the first time I put one of my guitars in his hands we were all amazed at how quickly he translated everything he's already learned to the lefty guitar.

It just feels natural to a lefty to fret with the right hand.

I think if you force a kid to learn on an instrument that doesn't feel natural, you might frustrate him out of wanting to play.
Nerd
9/2/2011 2:00pm
motogeezer wrote:
I have a friend who has been teaching his lefty son to play right handed. The kid's doing pretty good, but the first time I put...
I have a friend who has been teaching his lefty son to play right handed.

The kid's doing pretty good, but the first time I put one of my guitars in his hands we were all amazed at how quickly he translated everything he's already learned to the lefty guitar.

It just feels natural to a lefty to fret with the right hand.

I think if you force a kid to learn on an instrument that doesn't feel natural, you might frustrate him out of wanting to play.
I only know that one did it for sure with the right-handed thing, and that kid is doing great.

Jimi Hendrix was actually right-handed, you know...
motogeezer
9/2/2011 2:11pm
"Jimi Hendrix was actually right-handed, you know..."

Yeah, but his brain was different from the rest of us. Cool
Nerd
9/2/2011 2:24pm
motogeezer wrote:
"Jimi Hendrix was actually right-handed, you know..."

Yeah, but his brain was different from the rest of us. Cool
Maybe because he preferred to play with his dominant hand on the fretboard...
newmann
9/2/2011 2:29pm
Sweet Gibson you got there. Although I've never attempted to play a guitar(mainly due to no left handed ones laying around), my brother plays a bit. He's got an old 60's Fender, girly looking thing like this one.

motogeezer
9/2/2011 2:38pm
Maybe, so.

There have been a few right handed golfers who played lefty, too.

I suppose if you're learning something from scratch, you could go either way.

The point is that if you feel unnatural doing it, it will probably be harder than it needs to be.

If you hand a kid a guitar (who's never held one), and he naturally flips it to a lefty stance, you've got to figure that he'll learn easier and excel faster on a left handed instrument.
motogeezer
9/2/2011 2:41pm
newmann wrote:
Sweet Gibson you got there. Although I've never attempted to play a guitar(mainly due to no left handed ones laying around), my brother plays a bit...
Sweet Gibson you got there. Although I've never attempted to play a guitar(mainly due to no left handed ones laying around), my brother plays a bit. He's got an old 60's Fender, girly looking thing like this one.

Sixties Fenders are big dollars these days.

He should get that thing appraised.
kdx man
9/2/2011 2:46pm
That Paisley would go for a ridiculous price these days. They are highly sought after by collectors.

The finish is actually wallpaper on the guitar with a clearcoat sprayed on top. Very cool guitars. I'd love to have one of those.
Nerd
9/2/2011 5:37pm
Lefties, like gingers, don't have souls...
motogeezer
9/2/2011 5:42pm
Hey, now!

If I didn't have at least a little soul, what would I need an ES-335 for?
Nerd
9/2/2011 5:44pm
motogeezer wrote:
Hey, now!

If I didn't have at least a little soul, what would I need an ES-335 for?
Your ES-335 is obviously your beard.

"Beard" used in the same way it's used for wives of gay men. It's a disguise to make people believe you have to have a soul.

Clever, but not THAT clever...

Smile

Post a reply to: My New Baby (Les Paul - guitar thread)

The Latest