My Dad's dying

Switch
2/27/2013 9:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2013 9:45am
I really hate to hear that, Level. I can honestly say losing a parent is the hardest thing I've had to do.. and it was an awkward situation. In December, I got a call at 2:30am that just said "Mom's dead... Mom died tonight". I figured out it was my sister and could only say "...WHAT?"

I hadn't seen her in about a year. She went off the deep end after her mom died 15 months prior and my wife and I did all we could to help her. Taking her to therapy, staying with her when she felt lonely, getting her back in church, taking her out with her friends, ect. Then she turned on us.. saying we were spending too much time with my dad (they had an ugly divorce) and we couldn't be trusted. I said if that's the way you feel, you can live alone for all I care.

I never said another word to her. 1 year later, my world came crashing down and not a day goes by I don't regret being so damn hard headed and just helping her. She was hurting and I left her alone.. to the point where, when she was sick and dieing for 4 months, she didn't feel like she could call and say bye, or even "I love you". Every single day, I wish I would have listened to my concience and just called her to say hi, or see how she was. I didn't even know she was sick.. she told what little family she had left on her moms side to never tell us, and while she layed dying, alone in her own house.. we were never told.

My advice.. is make every day from now on the best day you have ever spent with your dad. Talk about what he wants to talk about, listen when he's scared and don't be affraid to ball your eyes out with him anytime. Be the man your father obviously taught you to be, and that is be a strong man that loves his family.

We are praying for you, man.
mattmatt300
2/27/2013 8:34pm
Tough to read! I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can and you make it through. I'm just up the road if you ever just need to grab a beer and get away for a minute shoot me a pm.
jtomasik
2/28/2013 10:19am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2013 10:19am
Level, we hope your dad is doing well. Give him our best.
level
3/10/2013 10:53am
Well guys. Sorry to say but my Dad passed away a week ago today. About 5 days before he passed his health took a turn for the worse. Was in a lot of pain and throwing up. Went to bed and we called hospice. They made him as comfortable as possible. We watched for 3 or 4 days as his body was shutting down and he took his last breath right in front of me, my mom, my brother and my sister at home in his bed. It was very hard. The service was yesterday. He was a great man. Be truly missed.
Thank you for all your kind words.

The Shop

WhKnuckle
3/10/2013 11:10am
level wrote:
Well guys. Sorry to say but my Dad passed away a week ago today. About 5 days before he passed his health took a turn for...
Well guys. Sorry to say but my Dad passed away a week ago today. About 5 days before he passed his health took a turn for the worse. Was in a lot of pain and throwing up. Went to bed and we called hospice. They made him as comfortable as possible. We watched for 3 or 4 days as his body was shutting down and he took his last breath right in front of me, my mom, my brother and my sister at home in his bed. It was very hard. The service was yesterday. He was a great man. Be truly missed.
Man, that's such a terrible thing. All my best wishes go out to you and your family.

My dad died in late 2006, and I still find myself thinking about him so often.
jtomasik
3/10/2013 11:12am
Level, most awesome you were all there with him. What a wonderful thing for him. Nothing greater could be done that what you guys did for him. Nothing.

My condolences to everyone in your family.
500guy
3/10/2013 3:23pm
level wrote:
Well guys. Sorry to say but my Dad passed away a week ago today. About 5 days before he passed his health took a turn for...
My sincere condolences.

I feel your pain, I'm not sure if knowing ahead of time is better or not.

Last April 27th My Dad literally dropped dead on me. We were at our Ranch and let me tell you about one of the most unreal days in my life,

He collapsed in the bedroom getting ready for bed, crashed to the floor, I ran in and started CPR then had to stop and go for the Phone. I used my cel phone but they couldn't locate us off it so I switched to the land line, I proceeded to give CPR for over an hour waiting for help. finally they got there only to let me know he had been gone for some time. Then I sat there with the medics and Sheriff for 2 hrs filling out paper work, dads dog was going crazy. finally they left and I sat there waiting for the coroner until 3 am in the morning in the middle of nowhere with my dad laying dead on the floor, they got him ready and took him out of course I had to help and there was a bloody mess on the carpet from them working on him, So I sat there at 3:30 am cleaning my Dads blood out of the carpet. the next 3 hrs sitting alone were extremely tough but it never hit until I had to start making calls and driving home.

I know how difficult this time is and I also know we are not the first or the last to go through these trying times, just try to stay positive and just keep going, everything will get sorted out in time.
Xtreme1
3/10/2013 3:41pm
Level and 500 I'm sorry about your losses. It's amazing how things can change with the snap of a finger.
twister
3/10/2013 3:44pm
Level i am very sorry about your dad.Keep in mind that you guys had alot of good years together.
My dad died of a heart attack in front of me when i was eleven years old.I never really got to know him.
Cherish the memories brother.
Bauer
3/10/2013 4:56pm
My condolences to everyone who has lost loved ones. I've lost my dad, sister, brother and mother, in that order over the years, with Moates and some other close friends in between. Did eulogies for my sister, bro, mom and Moates...I hope I don't have to do another one any time soon, or ever. I do plan on sticking around for awhile, so there is no doubt more pain ahead.

I think about them, not every day, but often. Time does seem to heal the pain. I'm thankful for the time I had with each of them, and I feel fortunate to have not had anything left unsaid with any of them, other than maybe Marty. I would have liked to have told him how much he meant to me as a friend, and more importantly how much he meant to the sport and the 1200 people that showed up for his funeral. Who knows, maybe he'd still be around.

I haven't spoken to my brother in six months, and only a handful of times since our mom's death a year and a half ago. He handled it very poorly and it really brought out his worst character traits and magnified them to the point where I didn't like him very much. I think I need to follow my own advice and give him a call today, you just never know what tomorrow may bring. Peace.
3/10/2013 5:11pm
Sorry for your lose. My dad died in may last year. Was in a fog for awhile. But like some have said it does get better. Its the weirdest feeling not to have that backup or someone to call when you have a problem. I didn't think so at the time but my dad was my best friend.
My condolence to you and your family.
PADDY'S LAD
3/10/2013 7:52pm
Level, sorry for your loss. After we lost our dad we constantly talked about all the good times we had with him and the impact he had on all who met him. It's actually wonderful to hear strangers come up to you and tell you how great of man your dad was and I'm sure you will experience this.
All the best in this very tough time for you and your family.
Pat
level
3/22/2013 1:06pm
level wrote:
500guy wrote:
My sincere condolences. I feel your pain, I'm not sure if knowing ahead of time is better or not. Last April 27th My Dad literally dropped...
My sincere condolences.

I feel your pain, I'm not sure if knowing ahead of time is better or not.

Last April 27th My Dad literally dropped dead on me. We were at our Ranch and let me tell you about one of the most unreal days in my life,

He collapsed in the bedroom getting ready for bed, crashed to the floor, I ran in and started CPR then had to stop and go for the Phone. I used my cel phone but they couldn't locate us off it so I switched to the land line, I proceeded to give CPR for over an hour waiting for help. finally they got there only to let me know he had been gone for some time. Then I sat there with the medics and Sheriff for 2 hrs filling out paper work, dads dog was going crazy. finally they left and I sat there waiting for the coroner until 3 am in the morning in the middle of nowhere with my dad laying dead on the floor, they got him ready and took him out of course I had to help and there was a bloody mess on the carpet from them working on him, So I sat there at 3:30 am cleaning my Dads blood out of the carpet. the next 3 hrs sitting alone were extremely tough but it never hit until I had to start making calls and driving home.

I know how difficult this time is and I also know we are not the first or the last to go through these trying times, just try to stay positive and just keep going, everything will get sorted out in time.
Damn dude. That's pretty intense. So sorry you had to go through that.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
3/22/2013 1:28pm
Very sorry about your Dad man, very sorry.
borg
3/22/2013 6:05pm
level wrote:
It's one of the most important days in a man's life when his Father passes. For many reasons.
3/22/2013 7:09pm
Many many condolences Level. You are a very honest and real person. I appreciate that. You being there for your dad like that... there could be nothing better for a father. He is very proud of you, that I promise.

My thoughts are with you as you heal from the loss sir.
HuskyEd
3/24/2013 12:47pm
level, I am very sorry to be late on this one.

My sincere condolences go out to you and your family for your loss.
plowboy
3/24/2013 1:11pm
We are all on this non moto where probably none of us could agree on the difference between night and day and yet all come together when someone needs help or comfort. I feel for you Level..and the others who's posted stories. God speed for those departed and God's grace for those of us still in the fight. Peace Brothers.

Post a reply to: My Dad's dying

The Latest