50 explosions, or areas

They mentioned 3 towns

|

9/13/2018 3:04 PM

Over pressured gas valves

Damn

|

9/13/2018 4:08 PM

Very strange. From the damage on the vid it would have to be a massive over pressurization and failure of multiple pipeline relief valves. There's something fishy here...bet on it.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/13/2018 5:44 PM

With so many things in place to prevent this it has to be something really bad or fishy.

|

9/13/2018 6:06 PM

Naanak wrote:

With so many things in place to prevent this it has to be something really bad or fishy.

Mother nature doesn't give a flying fuck about how well us humans "prepared" for her worst.

|

9/13/2018 7:12 PM

​Explosions are reported to have happened over andover andover andover andover and over again...

|

9/13/2018 8:56 PM

Pretty wild!

|

9/14/2018 11:00 AM

Over pressurization of gas can happen and does happen. Usually when it does there are safeties in place that stop it from becoming a disaster. I know that the north east has a lot of really old gas structure, not sure if that had anything to do with this or not. Crazy stuff though.

|

Go Hawks!

9/14/2018 1:42 PM

Rumor is workers connected a high pressure line to a low pressure line. Systems so old, they ain't got safety precautions.

|

9/14/2018 2:56 PM

See San Bruno, aging infrastructure, deferred maintenance, corporate malfeasance take your pick.

|

9/14/2018 6:00 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

See San Bruno, aging infrastructure, deferred maintenance, corporate malfeasance take your pick.

You left out worker error. Or is that not possible?

|

9/14/2018 6:38 PM

Come on fellas...they were working on the gas lines and a bunch of houses blew up and one poor kid got slaughtered. Don't need Einstein or NCIS to figure this one out. I see a gas company filing bankruptcy in 3...2...1. And a lot of people with a hard road ahead. Every one of us is one idiot away from disaster...we're just too busy to think about it. Thoughts and prayers to those effected....and those hit by the hurricane...and those that wake up with a cop in the wrong house. One idiot away....

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/14/2018 10:13 PM

BMSOBx2 wrote:

borg wrote:

You left out worker error. Or is that not possible?

Absolutely. My bad. Most of the baby boomers have or are retiring out & with them the institutional knowledge of 35-40 years on the job. Mistakes are going to happen with less experienced workers.

|

9/15/2018 7:34 AM

Trying to get any actual facts about this is almost impossible. The local news agencies are focused on the "pipeline explosions" . There were no exploding underground gas pipes in this situation from what I can gather. All of the fires started inside houses. Normal residential gas delivery systems are designed to operate at around 60 psi up to the house. Then there is a regulator that lowers it to about .5 psi or 7" WC before it enters the structure. Most of these regulators are able to handle wide variances in upstream pressure. If the pressure vastly exceeds the design pressure then I guess it's possible for the regulator to fail in the open position. Not sure about that but I do know that systems with upstream pressures above 125 psi have multiple regulators so that the last one sees an upstream pressure within it's design features. A regulator failing in the open position would send high pressure gas to appliances designed for .5 psi. Boom.

|

9/15/2018 8:26 AM

A few years back on independence day we were lighting fireworks (the idiot proof california ones) and every crack in the street lit up like a flame on a stove. Stayed lit for maybe 15 seconds then burnt out. I called the gas company and that night they had the whole street torn up replacing lines.

|

9/15/2018 11:30 AM

dirtmike86 wrote:

A few years back on independence day we were lighting fireworks (the idiot proof california ones) and every crack in the ...more

The regulator at each building can fail open but should have a blow off relief or positive shut off safety if downstream pressure exceeds set point. Either way it is supposed to be designed to handle worst case over pressure. Some regulators have an external line to read downstream pressure and initiate a safety. If it gets damaged it could be a problem but that would only effect one building. In addition each appliance should have its own regulator.
Also the man metering stations would have several safety reliefs and or shut offs. I can't imagine how high pressure gas could get past all those checks and balance that should be in place. If it did then like someone else said, you have to think everything along the way has to be compromised. The piping, meters, regulators, and end appliance regulators.

|

9/15/2018 12:14 PM

dirtmike86 wrote:

A few years back on independence day we were lighting fireworks (the idiot proof california ones) and every crack in the ...more

SCR wrote:

The regulator at each building can fail open but should have a blow off relief or positive shut off safety if downstream ...more

I quoted you by mistake.

|

9/15/2018 5:59 PM

dirtmike86 wrote:

SCR wrote:

The regulator at each building can fail open but should have a blow off relief or positive shut off safety if downstream ...more

I'm with you. It doesn't make sense that over pressure would have caused it but what else? One thing that occurred to me is that something may have caused a bunch of scale or debris to be let loose in the pipes. That could cause regulator failure too. A chunk of shit could get lodged on the seat and cause blow by.

|

9/18/2018 9:52 AM

Fuck gas- seriously. "Oh hey- you can cook your dinner, but don't leave a knob on or you might blow up your whole block." SoCal Gas here in Cali is shady as hell, I know that.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/18/2018 10:32 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Fuck gas- seriously. "Oh hey- you can cook your dinner, but don't leave a knob on or you might blow up your whole block." ...more

Gas is an absolute god-send in cold climates.

|

9/18/2018 3:16 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Fuck gas- seriously. "Oh hey- you can cook your dinner, but don't leave a knob on or you might blow up your whole block." ...more

early wrote:

Gas is an absolute god-send in cold climates.

I love my gas heat...so much cheaper than electric. One down fall though...if we have a winter ice storm and lose power the blower won't run so all the gas in the world is useless. But I've got a generator that solves that problem. I even heat my garage and it's still about half what electric used to be for the house alone. It's all good as long as they don't blow me to smithereens.

|