Moving to SoCal help

FIREfish148
Edited Date/Time 12/19/2020 2:53pm
So I got a temporary job offer to work in Victorville but I have absolutely no idea what I’m getting into other than the fact that it’s 30 min away from Glen Helen. Can anyone help me with some advice on what town to move into in the surrounding area? So far I’ve only been told to stay away from Adelanto.

Also if I should just pump the breaks and not come down? I only have 2 weeks to line everything up and move down there.
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/16/2020 8:11am
To be honest, that whole area can be a little sketchy. Hesperia is probably your best bet. If I had to live up in the high dez that's where I would go.

Are you going to be in a house or apt?
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
12/16/2020 11:18am
Theres some folks that might have a side job for ya. Terry Varners up there. Think he needs a visit.
12/16/2020 11:32am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 11:45am
The san bernardino mountain community homes are usually affordable if you are looking to buy, but they are selling like crazy now because a lot of people are trying to get out of the cities. Still more affordable than other areas though.

You can definitely count on spending a lot of money in California. We've been here five years and we're looking to get out. Gas right now is about 3.40-3.50 range. just recently $300 got added to our house payment, I think it was related to fire insurance and all that BS that had to be added to it. I'm pretty sure my same loan would be cheaper in another state because everything's just a little more expensive here. You pretty much need a sizable raise to live out here versus other states.
FIREfish148
12/16/2020 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 10:08pm
avidchimp wrote:
To be honest, that whole area can be a little sketchy. Hesperia is probably your best bet. If I had to live up in the high...
To be honest, that whole area can be a little sketchy. Hesperia is probably your best bet. If I had to live up in the high dez that's where I would go.

Are you going to be in a house or apt?
Damn, Hopefully renting a house. It’s only going to be for 6 months-2 years. I’m not trying to move to a ghetto spot though. We’ll see, I might try to get out of it.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/16/2020 2:30pm
Damn, Hopefully renting a house. It’s only going to be for 6 months-2 years. I’m not trying to move to a ghetto spot though. We’ll see...
Damn, Hopefully renting a house. It’s only going to be for 6 months-2 years. I’m not trying to move to a ghetto spot though. We’ll see, I might try to get out of it.
I wish I knew more, but I only go up to go riding.

Hit up Keefer on one of his social platforms. I'm sure he will help you out and steer you in the right direction.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
12/16/2020 5:57pm
Be careful on your neighborhood in Victorville or any other place in Ca.

There will be nice places there, Apple Valley, Hesperia etc but you also have a lot of meth lab type areas. I’m in Vista which is in north San Diego county. My neighborhood is nice n safe but I can drive a mile and be n some scary areas. Gang bangers shooting one another type of stuff. Don’t mean to scare you off but just a warning to scope things out pretty thoroughly before you sign up for anything.

One positive is your would have a lot of areas to ride living n the high desert and you aren’t too far from some nice mountain communities
FIREfish148
12/16/2020 11:57pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Theres some folks that might have a side job for ya. Terry Varners up there. Think he needs a visit.
On the other hand... he might have some spare parts for the 450 🤔
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
12/17/2020 3:54am
Rent in Rancho Cucamonga and commute up the Cajon pass to Victorville. Little bit of a drive but I would totally do it if were you. Fuck Victimville
Homey55
12/17/2020 6:18am
MXant15 wrote:
Rent in Rancho Cucamonga and commute up the Cajon pass to Victorville. Little bit of a drive but I would totally do it if were you...
Rent in Rancho Cucamonga and commute up the Cajon pass to Victorville. Little bit of a drive but I would totally do it if were you. Fuck Victimville

peelout
12/17/2020 7:08am
Willingly moving to CA? You need more help than just logistics my dude
Looby321
12/17/2020 3:17pm
peelout wrote:
Isn’t everyone fleeing in droves?
FIREfish148
12/17/2020 3:51pm
peelout wrote:
It’s just for business, mang. And yes some may say I am mental.
Chance1216
12/17/2020 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 4:15pm
I left So Cal in 98. I go back every few years to visit family and friends. Everyone I know there is struggling financially or looking at moving. Those that can make it, I commend.
The beaches and riding are great. I won’t go back to live there permanently but, I do like taking vacations there.

Kirkland? No wonder your looking at California. The rain this time of year sucks!!!
hubbardmx50
12/17/2020 4:46pm
MXant15 wrote:
Rent in Rancho Cucamonga and commute up the Cajon pass to Victorville. Little bit of a drive but I would totally do it if were you...
Traffic will be going the other way too. Just get a small car that gets good MPG and you’re solid. I wouldn’t mind working in the HD but I sure wouldn’t want to live there!
FIREfish148
12/17/2020 5:04pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I left So Cal in 98. I go back every few years to visit family and friends. Everyone I know there is struggling financially or looking...
I left So Cal in 98. I go back every few years to visit family and friends. Everyone I know there is struggling financially or looking at moving. Those that can make it, I commend.
The beaches and riding are great. I won’t go back to live there permanently but, I do like taking vacations there.

Kirkland? No wonder your looking at California. The rain this time of year sucks!!!
Ha I grew up here man. Rain feels like home to me. All the out of town people absolutely hate it though.
Chance1216
12/17/2020 7:02pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I left So Cal in 98. I go back every few years to visit family and friends. Everyone I know there is struggling financially or looking...

Ha I grew up here man. Rain feels like home to me. All the out of town people absolutely hate it though.
Count me as one of those people. 22 years and I still can’t stand it. My first year in the PNW (Oregon) it rained 156 days straight. Unbelievable coming from Cali. Now, I just grind through and look forward to summer. The summers here are great for riding as is the fishing. Here’s what’s good about each place.

12/17/2020 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 9:11pm
I love it here in the San Bernardino mountains, I can hop on my bike and ride it to some amazing trails. But we are making really good money and still struggling more to pay the bills than we would like. Houses are selling like crazy right around us, so we would be crazy not to sell now, especislly with a lot of uncertainty with what the economy will do. We just have to find somewhere to land and we should come out alright on our property and house. I will miss it, but as it is, Glen Helen is 30 minutes away and I still have only been a few times because of my newborn.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/18/2020 7:13am
In San Diego I can say that things aren't that different or dire. That said, for the first time ever, I see "for rent" signs in front of apartments and houses in my area that are up for the last few months. Before covid, you could hardly find anything in a "cool" part of San Diego without it being instantly rented out or sold.
hubbardmx50
12/19/2020 2:53pm
seth505 wrote:
In San Diego I can say that things aren't that different or dire. That said, for the first time ever, I see "for rent" signs in...
In San Diego I can say that things aren't that different or dire. That said, for the first time ever, I see "for rent" signs in front of apartments and houses in my area that are up for the last few months. Before covid, you could hardly find anything in a "cool" part of San Diego without it being instantly rented out or sold.
Probably because people are leaving the cities. Real estate in the suburbs is on fire right now. Houses out here don’t even have for sale signs on them and before you know it a new family is already moved in! It’s crazy.

Post a reply to: Moving to SoCal help

The Latest