Moving out of California

hubbardmx50
Edited Date/Time 10/28/2020 8:16pm
Just wondering if there’s anyone in here who’s moved out of CA recently and if so, where did you go? How do you like it? How’s the Moto scene? And how old are you?
|
Chance1216
10/4/2020 6:25pm
Just wondering if there’s anyone in here who’s moved out of CA recently and if so, where did you go? How do you like it? How’s...
Just wondering if there’s anyone in here who’s moved out of CA recently and if so, where did you go? How do you like it? How’s the Moto scene? And how old are you?
Left in 98. I go back to So Cal for riding every couple years. Live by Seattle. Decent tracks. Decent woods riding as well. I mostly do poker runs throughout the state including the Desert 100.
43 years old.
hubbardmx50
10/4/2020 6:53pm
What state are you considering to move to? City or rural ?
Not sure. That’s why I’m asking people where they’re going. Haha. Most likely staying on the west coast. UT AZ ID. Definitely not Washington or Oregon though. Although I did go to Tennessee when I was a kid and liked it a lot. It would be tough though, I don’t know a single person who lives there
hubbardmx50
10/4/2020 6:55pm
Definitely no big cities. Too many people is part of the main reasons I’m considering leaving

The Shop

Chance1216
10/4/2020 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2020 9:58pm
Not sure. That’s why I’m asking people where they’re going. Haha. Most likely staying on the west coast. UT AZ ID. Definitely not Washington or Oregon...
Not sure. That’s why I’m asking people where they’re going. Haha. Most likely staying on the west coast. UT AZ ID. Definitely not Washington or Oregon though. Although I did go to Tennessee when I was a kid and liked it a lot. It would be tough though, I don’t know a single person who lives there
It rains a lot here in Seattle. I mean A LOT!!!. I stick around because of the steady construction industry. Chose financial security over the California sunshine. Now if I was single... My truck would be loaded with my bike and tools in a heartbeat.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/4/2020 7:05pm
I'm considering moving to California.
I currently live in Minnesota not in Minneapolis though. for the most part its nice The town I live in is clean safe affordable low crime traffic is not bad at all the area is a population of approximately 50 thousand people, but on the downside its freezing cold half of the year. and that's why I want to move, that and I have always loved motocross and would like to work in the Industry or at least be around like minded people. I rarely cross paths with anyone even remotely interested in Motocross here.
I'm not 100% sure on California but I am 100% on leaving Minnesota and planning to do it soon.
Chance1216
10/4/2020 7:15pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I'm considering moving to California. I currently live in Minnesota not in Minneapolis though. for the most part its nice The town I live in is...
I currently live in Minnesota not in Minneapolis though. for the most part its nice The town I live in is clean safe affordable low crime traffic is not bad at all the area is a population of approximately 50 thousand people, but on the downside its freezing cold half of the year. and that's why I want to move, that and I have always loved motocross and would like to work in the Industry or at least be around like minded people. I rarely cross paths with anyone even remotely interested in Motocross here.
I'm not 100% sure on California but I am 100% on leaving Minnesota and planning to do it soon.
Depending on the area of California you choose to live, kiss low crime and affordable away. Cities within LA county? Forget about it.
Since leaving, I have had 14 friends I've known since kindergarten get murdered. One just this week. Several others in prison, one on America's Most Wanted.
Because I grew up there, I still do certain things.
I don't sit with my back turned to anyone. I ask for a corner booth in a restaurant next to a window so I can see everything going on around me. Things you shouldn't have to do but, I continue doing out of habit.
If you haven't been to LA, you better up your street smarts game dealing with people.
hubbardmx50
10/4/2020 7:53pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I'm considering moving to California. I currently live in Minnesota not in Minneapolis though. for the most part its nice The town I live in is...
I would definitely choose CA over MN. This state is a mess but at least we get to do things outside 365 days a year. Like I said in the big thread about CA over in the Moto section, weather and riding are about the only things keeping me here at this point besides my life at the moment being based here. I couldn't and wouldn't do hard winters, haha. Would love to visit Spring Creek MX sometime though. Place looks amazing, it's a shame you can only ride it like five months out of the year though. If you're looking to work in the industry most of it is here, including all six OEM's.
hubbardmx50
10/4/2020 7:56pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
Depending on the area of California you choose to live, kiss low crime and affordable away. Cities within LA county? Forget about it. Since leaving, I...
Depending on the area of California you choose to live, kiss low crime and affordable away. Cities within LA county? Forget about it.
Since leaving, I have had 14 friends I've known since kindergarten get murdered. One just this week. Several others in prison, one on America's Most Wanted.
Because I grew up there, I still do certain things.
I don't sit with my back turned to anyone. I ask for a corner booth in a restaurant next to a window so I can see everything going on around me. Things you shouldn't have to do but, I continue doing out of habit.
If you haven't been to LA, you better up your street smarts game dealing with people.
14 friends murdered!? Holy shit man. I've been here for almost 25 years and don't know anyone who's been involved in a violent crime. I do live in one of the safest cities in the state though. Not affordable these days unless you have a household income of about $150k. It's safe to say houses were much cheaper here in the 90's!
APLMAN99
10/4/2020 9:01pm
Not sure. That’s why I’m asking people where they’re going. Haha. Most likely staying on the west coast. UT AZ ID. Definitely not Washington or Oregon...
Chance1216 wrote:
It rains a lot here in Seattle. I mean A LOT!!!. I stick around because of the steady construction industry. Chose financial security over the California...
It rains a lot here in Seattle. I mean A LOT!!!. I stick around because of the steady construction industry. Chose financial security over the California sunshine. Now if I was single... My truck would be loaded with my bike and tools in a heartbeat.
Wait, I live in Washington and it doesn’t rain much at all!!!!

Believe it or not, Wenatchee gets less average annual rainfall than Tempe AZ.

Washington is pretty diverse.
Chance1216
10/4/2020 9:23pm
14 friends murdered!? Holy shit man. I've been here for almost 25 years and don't know anyone who's been involved in a violent crime. I do...
14 friends murdered!? Holy shit man. I've been here for almost 25 years and don't know anyone who's been involved in a violent crime. I do live in one of the safest cities in the state though. Not affordable these days unless you have a household income of about $150k. It's safe to say houses were much cheaper here in the 90's!
Carson has gotten better over the last couple years from what I've seen the last few trips over taken down there. Its ridiculously expensive though. 500k for a 3 bedroom 2 bath plaster box house. For that much, you can basically live within walking distance of the water (Puget Sound) in Washington. Some things are similar in pricing but, the cost of living is lower and wages within the construction industry are significantly higher up here.

I was trying to get my cousin to move up here and get him started in construction. He ended up getting a job as a union laborer down there and continues to struggle. He doesn't care much for the weather here. Rain from Oct- Jun. Summers are typically mild. 78-90, July through Sept.
I don't ride as much as I would like to but, I do other things to stay occupied during the colder months.

In regards to losing so many friends, it has more to do with the lives they were living or the neighborhood they lived in. Mostly gang related. Right before I left, a 13 year old kid I knew who was a couple years younger then me at the time had a car pull up on him. The occupants asked him if he was in a gang. He said no. He was shot and sadly died. He had no affiliation with the gang in this neighborhood. Other then the fact he lived within it.

Leaving everything and, everyone I ever loved wasn't easy.
I just visit every so often and, get some riding in when I do.

Chance1216
10/4/2020 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2020 9:33pm
Chance1216 wrote:
It rains a lot here in Seattle. I mean A LOT!!!. I stick around because of the steady construction industry. Chose financial security over the California...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Wait, I live in Washington and it doesn’t rain much at all!!!! Believe it or not, Wenatchee gets less average annual rainfall than Tempe AZ. Washington...

Maybe where you live it doesn't rain as much but, here in the Seattle area, the weather is already changing. I don't expect decent weather at least until late May or early June.

I pay close attention to rainfall. Watching hydrographs for different rivers and basing which river I go to its highly dependent on it rising. Heavy rains start around November.
I can tell by my old catch record card for salmon when the rain hits.
APLMAN99
10/4/2020 9:39pm
Chance1216 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Wait, I live in Washington and it doesn’t rain much at all!!!! Believe it or not, Wenatchee gets less average annual rainfall than Tempe AZ. Washington...

Chance1216 wrote:
Maybe where you live it doesn't rain as much but, here in the Seattle area, the weather is already changing. I don't expect decent weather at...
Maybe where you live it doesn't rain as much but, here in the Seattle area, the weather is already changing. I don't expect decent weather at least until late May or early June.

I pay close attention to rainfall. Watching hydrographs for different rivers and basing which river I go to its highly dependent on it rising. Heavy rains start around November.
I can tell by my old catch record card for salmon when the rain hits.
As I said, Washington is a pretty diverse state. The Wet side is just that, but go east just a bit and you are literally in a desert.

Wenatchee averages 9” of precip a year. The climate and weather in the greater Seattle area isn’t the same as everywhere in Washington!

I could never handle another Seattle area winter without shooting myself in the head. By March, it’s like the end of The Shining for me.
Chance1216
10/4/2020 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2020 10:00pm
Hence, me saying where you lived and in "THE SEATTLE AREA". No need for exclamation marks. I've ridden in Nachese and that place is definitely a desert. A tree filled desert at that. I noticed everything changed once I got over Chinook pass. Although most people think of Seattle when you say Washington, I changed my initial statement from Washington to Seattle.
Lack of clarification on my part.
Motox627!
10/5/2020 8:28am
We moved to central Texas from Oregon about 14 years ago and its worked out pretty well. Not near as much riding as Oregon, but homes are priced well and jobs pay good.

Will always miss the PNW, but when i see house prices i cant believe people can afford to live there anymore...
APLMAN99
10/5/2020 12:04pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Hence, me saying where you lived and in "THE SEATTLE AREA". No need for exclamation marks. I've ridden in Nachese and that place is definitely a...
Hence, me saying where you lived and in "THE SEATTLE AREA". No need for exclamation marks. I've ridden in Nachese and that place is definitely a desert. A tree filled desert at that. I noticed everything changed once I got over Chinook pass. Although most people think of Seattle when you say Washington, I changed my initial statement from Washington to Seattle.
Lack of clarification on my part.
Yeah, Washington is not just Seattle, obviously. Even in Seattle, it isn't the total amount of rain that is the issue, it's the constant drizzle for nearly 5 months that just drags you down and keeps you there. Then the most beautiful summers in the world happen, and your brain gets just fuzzy enough to believe that you can get through one more freaking winter of misery.....

Seattle is only something like 55th in major US cities in average rainfall. But they are 6th in the number of days with measurable precip.

But just a little bit away, we are as arid as can be. By population, most people in Washington live in a rainy-ish climate. But by area, it's split just about even between the wet side and the dry side.

hubbardmx50
10/5/2020 12:06pm
Anybody who's relocated to Idaho care to chime in? Would love to hear what it's like from someone who was born in CA. I see there's a pretty sweet track right outside of Boise, are there any others? I also love riding sand dunes and know there's the ST Anthony dunes or whatever they're called.
10/5/2020 12:52pm
We have been in california for around five years and are looking to move to northern Texas. We will be flying out to look at property next month. I'll keep you updated. I just want to be able to have land and a good sized house for a decent price. I will miss the moto though.
hubbardmx50
10/5/2020 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2020 4:07pm
We have been in california for around five years and are looking to move to northern Texas. We will be flying out to look at property...
We have been in california for around five years and are looking to move to northern Texas. We will be flying out to look at property next month. I'll keep you updated. I just want to be able to have land and a good sized house for a decent price. I will miss the moto though.
Only five years here and that fed up, really gives people an idea of how annoying life here has become. COVID definitely did not help, I’m so sick of not being able to sit down in a restaraunt. Will this POS state ever reopen? Where do you live previously? You shouldn’t be missing out on Moto, doesn’t Texas have even more tracks than CA? Amazing dirt from what I’ve seen too. Congrats on your move! I went to Dallas/Grapevine/Fortworth as a kid and loved it. Lots of people going to TX, lets just hope it doesn’t turn into another nightmare like California
10/5/2020 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2020 4:19pm
We have been in california for around five years and are looking to move to northern Texas. We will be flying out to look at property...
Ashtabula, Ohio to Morgantown West Virginia. Land is cheap All the way through there. Laws similar to Texas. Come on out. Got a lot of tracks in Ohio and south western Pa....

But I’d consider a move to Texas if I had to, not planning on it as of now. ...Texas probably the only other state I’d move to. Ohio, West Virginia or Texas.
Lomech
10/5/2020 5:02pm
I was born and raised in So.Cal (Redondo Beach) moved up to Washinton (Gig Harbor) out on the Olympic Peninsula in '03, my job allows me to transfer between West Coast ports, as stated above Washington is really diverse in terms of climate and geography, there can be big weather/climate changes depending on what side of the Cascades or Olympic mountains you're on, it does rain a lot on the West side and can get very very cold (snow and ice) at 60 yo and being a mechanic with a body full of hardware I couldn't take the cold and damp anymore, I was up ther 16 years, decided to move back to So.Cal, they say you can never move back to California once you leave, that's not necessarily true, if your willing to compromise a little, I did just that, I knew I could'nt afford moving back to the beach area and my son and I were starting to get back into riding and wanted to get into moto so I moved to Menifee, it's basically surrounded by close by tracks, safe neighborhoods and a good bang for your buck on housing. I work in San Diego it's about an hour and a half commute each way, this is one of my compromises, although I did move my motorhome down to a long term site at KOA in San Diego, now I work a couple of weeks straight then go home for 3-5 days, I realise this is a unique situation, and probably won't/can't work for everyone, but I am a Californian at heart and this is worth it to me.
All states, cities will have their pro's, con's and flaws, to me it was just a question of what compromise's I was willing to make
Best of luck to you
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
10/5/2020 8:10pm
You could be like many many other Californians and move next door to Cal Light.
trexx
10/5/2020 9:38pm
Any of you guys that moved in the first responder scene? Been in the San Luis Obispo area all my life and been thinking about ditching this place.
rongi#401
10/5/2020 10:59pm
I live Near Ventura and have been noticing a lot of out of state license plates, also a lot of out of town we looking types in stores buying move in type items, bathroom stuff, kitchen stuff, carts loaded, maybe COVID was the straw that broke the camels back and made people from everywhere say f this place, Californians leaving, people everywhere leaving their homes. I bet these times are a joy to be a sociologist, a lot of interesting behavior going on
hubbardmx50
10/6/2020 9:41am
rongi#401 wrote:
I live Near Ventura and have been noticing a lot of out of state license plates, also a lot of out of town we looking types...
I live Near Ventura and have been noticing a lot of out of state license plates, also a lot of out of town we looking types in stores buying move in type items, bathroom stuff, kitchen stuff, carts loaded, maybe COVID was the straw that broke the camels back and made people from everywhere say f this place, Californians leaving, people everywhere leaving their homes. I bet these times are a joy to be a sociologist, a lot of interesting behavior going on
Yeah man it’s crazy. When this all first started going down in March I actually thought our Governor was doing a good job, but the dude has just lost his marbles. They’d rather watch this place go bankrupt than have it reopen before this election, it’s sad. More and more people and businesses are fleeing this place every single day for red states. Really makes you wonder what this place will be like in five years. Who will even be here? Big tech, Hollywood and homeless people? I hear 300 families a day are getting up and leaving. I want my damn freedom back.
10/6/2020 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2020 10:17pm
I can work remote so I’ve been trying to convince my wife to move down to Baja with me. I know plenty of expats who are living the life down in Mexico. You can ride year round, surf, healthcare is beyond affordable, food is amazing and we’d be close enough to cross back to the U.S. as needed. To put things into perspective, an ocean front condo in a Secured gated community with a golf course will run you around $200k.

The crime is honestly probably worse in certain areas of Southern California. Unfortunately, my wife isn’t fully convinced since she isn’t ready to be a stay at home wife. Another place I would consider is Hawaii but I think I would get island fever.

G-man
10/6/2020 10:38pm
trexx wrote:
Any of you guys that moved in the first responder scene? Been in the San Luis Obispo area all my life and been thinking about ditching...
Any of you guys that moved in the first responder scene? Been in the San Luis Obispo area all my life and been thinking about ditching this place.
Wow, it must be bad cuz San Luis Obispo is a cool town! Woohoo
G-man
10/6/2020 10:41pm
rongi#401 wrote:
I live Near Ventura and have been noticing a lot of out of state license plates, also a lot of out of town we looking types...
So you're saying the Natives are leaving and outsiders are moving in?

That's kinda crazy, havta make good bank to move there.

Without the benefit of proposition 13 the home taxes are gonna kill them!

Post a reply to: Moving out of California

The Latest