MotoGP 2018

Edited Date/Time 12/13/2018 2:32pm
Watching practice this morning. Ducati's are front runners. As they normally are, they've traditionally done well at Qatar.

Interesting News from the Paddock:

- Rossi re-signs for 2 more years and will not commit to retiring at the end of this contract

Zarco in the Silly Season Driver's Seat:
- HRC is making a push for him
- If not HRC, Factory KTM or Tech3 KTM are still viable options
- And Lin Jarvis has now stated they are open to giving their next satellite team a Factory Bike. This means a 3-bike Factory Team will not happen. I believe that Movistar (Vinales' sponsor) would not allow it. But if the satellite has a Factory Bike then it keeps the door open keeping Zarco. But I have to ask, WHY NOW? They could've kept Tech3 had they agreed to that this year!!!... I think this is just Lin Jarvis trying to save face.
- The official list of mfg's that are after Zarco is KTM, HRC, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Ducati
- Zarco's announcement on his future will not be made until LeMans at the earliest

MarcVDS is the front runner for getting the Yamaha Satellite Bikes.
This would throw Honda's developmental program in disarray as MVDS runs Honda's Moto2 & Moto3 program.

Now that Tech3 is the official KTM program, Ive wondered what will happen to the support the Aki Ajo team gets in moto2/moto3? Will KTM support two different official feeder teams? Or will Aki Ajo fill the void left at Honda by MVDS?

If Honda cannot land Zarco, I believe they will make a strong run at Dovi. If Dovi goes Honda, then Petrucci will get the call up to the Factory Ducati squad.

Where will Petrucci land?
- If Ducati is able to retain Dovi (I expect they will), Danilo will need JLo to shit the bed again this year to get his seat
- Ducati coughs up the $$$ to keep him at Prmac (which I doubt will happen)
- Suzuki is a option
- Aprilia wants him (I believe Aprilia will end up with Petrucci or Iannone for 2019)

This season is going to be hot. 13 factory bikes on the grid. And everyone is battling for their 2019 contracts. What a show!!!
|
JPT
3/16/2018 2:06pm
Going to be a great season. Hope KTM and Aprilia can step up.
3/16/2018 2:39pm
JPT wrote:
Going to be a great season. Hope KTM and Aprilia can step up.
Im not worried about Aprilia. The bike has progressed every year at every bit the same rate as anyone else, if not at a higher rate than most. And they have a capable rider in Aleix Espargaro. He's talented and has the "salt".

KTM will eventually get there. But they seem to have a bit of ground to make up still as they're unable to crack into this "top 14".

Suzuki and Yamaha are the brands Im worried about. Neither have satellites to help test parts and develop at the pace of everyone else. But they both have talented rosters of riders and so far in Qatar, both look competitive.

13 factory bikes plus Zarco makes for 14 on the grid that are expected to impress. It's quite a impressive field. Dorna is right to be proud of what they have built.

It also means 4 really good bikes/riders every weekend will be forced into Q1 battling for a spot for Q2. With guys like Jack Miller, Rabat, and the impressive Nakagami nipping at the heels.
jgmxdad251
3/16/2018 3:03pm
HRC as in the factory team? Would that be a three man team?

The Shop

BMSOBx2
3/16/2018 5:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 6:11pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
Will Zarco get a factory Yamaha this year?
Zarco has already been impressive on the "old bike". If he were to be given the latest spec bike and better the factory riders, in particular Vingales, that would be a real blow. Can't imagine the factory would want that to happen. It doesn't look good that the fastest Yamaha in FP2 is Rossi in 10th place. This is a track Yamaha's been good on in the past. Perhaps they're testing tires? Daytime conditions aren't really representative of the nighttime race conditions.
3/16/2018 6:53pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
Will Zarco get a factory Yamaha this year?
Definitely not. Until his 2019 contract is settled, he will absolutely not be a part of the development process in the slightest.

He is the hottest item in the sport right now.

Petrucci will be heavily sought after also. As he is Factory talent without the price.

And then Lorenzo will likely be a free agent as well. Ducati is wasting Marlboro‘s money on him. He could be a candidate for the 3rd Factory Yamaha next year on the MVDS team.

So much talent up for grabs. All at different prices. So that variable will play a factor.
3/16/2018 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 7:11pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
HRC as in the factory team? Would that be a three man team?
I think Zarco would replace Pedrosa.

Honda tried signing Dovi 2 yrs ago.

Pedrosa has hung around by default pretty much ever since Simoncelli passed on. It’d be quite something if Pedrosa survived another silly season. Then again, his former agent/manager is now the team manager at Repsol Honda.
BMSOBx2
3/16/2018 7:26pm
I think Zarco would replace Pedrosa. Honda tried signing Dovi 2 yrs ago. Pedrosa has hung around by default pretty much ever since Simoncelli passed on...

Pedrosa has hung around by default pretty much ever since Simoncelli passed on. It’d be quite something if Pedrosa survived another silly season. Then again, his former agent/manager is now the team manager at Repsol Honda.
You said the magic word, Repsol.
3/16/2018 9:28pm
I think Zarco would replace Pedrosa. Honda tried signing Dovi 2 yrs ago. Pedrosa has hung around by default pretty much ever since Simoncelli passed on...

BMSOBx2 wrote:
You said the magic word, Repsol.
Yep. Repsol is the reason the younger Marquez brother is rumored to already have the #2 Honda bike locked up.

But let's be honest about Pedrosa, his marketability has dried up. And his development skills have pretty much always been suspect.

Honda needs help. Crutchlow is carrying the entire load of development. Marc Marquez is useless because he could literally ride anything and he just adapts and makes even the worst bike look fast. Honda at one time had the best bike on the grid and now their customer teams are pretty unhappy with the package. Marquez has HRC by the balls and we know HRC hates that sort of relationship.

That's why they're hot after a guy like Dovi.
JPT
3/17/2018 1:21pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
Two year old Yamaha gets the pole. Wow!
Makes You wonder what he could have done if he started on a full factory ride like MM93.
3/17/2018 2:24pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
This statement is incredible. And unheard of in ANY motorsport.

(1) Dorna have done such a fantastic job

(2) Zarco is a incredible talent

How the fuck did Suzuki ever let him go? They have to be the sorriest bunch of fucktards. They’ve had 3 EXCELLENT riders as of late and let all of them go (Aleix, Vinales, Zarco).

I got a feeling RedBull is going to throw so much money at him to keep him with Tech3. Maybe only Ducati’s Marlboro money can keep up.
BMSOBx2
3/17/2018 3:20pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
Unfreakin' believable!!! This is usually a track where the Yamahas were pretty good. What, Rossi in 9th and Vinales in12th? Factory Yamahas suck. This season is going to be Epic.
JPT
3/18/2018 12:45pm
Great race.

I had planned to comment whether Yamaha was giving Vinales the same shit they gave Spies when they thought he wasn't doing good enough, but I think I'll wait on that.
3/18/2018 1:11pm
JPT wrote:
Great race. I had planned to comment whether Yamaha was giving Vinales the same shit they gave Spies when they thought he wasn't doing good enough...
Great race.

I had planned to comment whether Yamaha was giving Vinales the same shit they gave Spies when they thought he wasn't doing good enough, but I think I'll wait on that.
Vinales brought Movistar to the table. He's not gonna get the Spies treatment.

He's in his own head. He thought he deserved the #1 spot on the team and would steer development. Im not sure what gave him that damn impression. Rossi has him by the balls.

Vinales should've stayed with Suzuki if you ask me. I love Rossi but he's incredibly cutthroat.

Whatever the case, Vinales is a gamer. He pulled his head out of his ass and saved his season by salvaging a decent finish.

Other notes & observations from the race...

The top-10 were all on the same corner from the first half of the race. Phenomenal entertainment. And with 5 laps to go the top 8 were all still in contention for the podium. No other sport in the world compares right now.

If you're finishing in the top-10, you're doing something special. That's how competitive this is at the moment.

Zarco's fall from grace was surprising. I still consider him a title contender.

Rins and Iannone seem to have the Suzuki figured out. I think Iannone is riding for his next contract. Either he tries to get back to a Ducati or he ends up on Aprilia next year.

Aleix Espargaro's Aprilia disappointed me as I figured him to have top-10 pace. Then he ran out of gas at the end and limped it home.

There is no way Lorenzo sticks with Ducati another year. His brand is taking major damage and at $13m a year, his salary cannot be justified. I think he'll be in play for the #2 bike at Repsol Honda, the #3 bike at Yamaha, or the #1 bike at Suzuki.

Petrucci is going to land a factory bike somewhere next year. Either the #2 Ducati or the #1 Suzuki. Aprilia has shown interest in the past.

Jack Miller is someone to watch this year. He likes the Ducati. I expect him to be top-10 every weekend and battling for top-5's at some point. He will get Petrucci's #3 Ducati bike next year.

What a finish by Dovi. He is so clever. His whole career is finally paying off. He had to battle JLo thru the amateurs. Got slept on by all the teams once in MotoGP. And to think Ducati almost chose Iannone over him if not for Lorenzo demanding Dovi as his "#2".

Credit to Marc Marquez for the things he's able to do on that Honda. The great thing about this season is that every bike is flawed in some way. Making for incredible stylistic battles on the track.

This is the best sport in the world right now and it's not even close IMO.
JPT
3/18/2018 1:27pm
No way Lorenzo will go back to Yamaha, think he burned that bridge but he's got to do something different. Dovi and Petrucci are making him look pretty bad.

I think Zarco's tires went away, he dropped like a rock, but he beat off all comers for the first half of the race. Marquez and Rossi both tried to rattle him but he came right back.

Hated to see Rins throw it down the road, would have liked to see another brand up front and he was pushing a top 6.

I think Pedrosa's time is about up. He's good for a win or two but never going to be the champ. 12 years on the same team is a long time. Don't know when is contract is up.
XXVoid MainXX
3/18/2018 3:15pm
Good race. Local Ducati dealer had a potluck and we watched it on the big screen in their motorcycle museum today.
3/18/2018 6:14pm
JPT wrote:
No way Lorenzo will go back to Yamaha, think he burned that bridge but he's got to do something different. Dovi and Petrucci are making him...
No way Lorenzo will go back to Yamaha, think he burned that bridge but he's got to do something different. Dovi and Petrucci are making him look pretty bad.

I think Zarco's tires went away, he dropped like a rock, but he beat off all comers for the first half of the race. Marquez and Rossi both tried to rattle him but he came right back.

Hated to see Rins throw it down the road, would have liked to see another brand up front and he was pushing a top 6.

I think Pedrosa's time is about up. He's good for a win or two but never going to be the champ. 12 years on the same team is a long time. Don't know when is contract is up.
I see it like this, there are 3 big spenders (RedBull, Repsol, Marlboro) going after 2 big names (Lorenzo & Zarco)

So Lorenzo will end up on either the #2 Honda or on one of the four factory KTM's.

I suggested the #3 Yamaha because if MarcVDS gets the satellite Yamaha gig (and presumably gets a factory bike) they will be allowed to sign whomever they want. And they have deep pockets and good sponsor relations. They could afford a guy like Lorenzo.

Sadly, Suzuki cannot. I dont see them willing to spend more than $3m a year on a rider. That severely limits whom they are in the market for. For a guy like Petrucci or as was the case for Iannone, that's a massive raise. For a guy like Lorenzo, he could get double that with KTM or Honda.
4/7/2018 12:31pm
Has anyone watched the MotoGP Argentina qualifying? Wow what a lap for pole!! Even the commentators were blown away
kongols
4/8/2018 11:12am
Haha, what a clusterfuck at Argentina. I`d be pissed if I was Miller. They should have started the race.
JPT
4/8/2018 1:59pm
That was nuts. But a he'll of a race. Marquez screwed up in multiple ways.
BMSOBx2
4/8/2018 2:09pm
Marquez should have been black black-flagged after his take out of Rossi. Good job for crutchlow.
4/8/2018 5:25pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Marquez should have been black black-flagged after his take out of Rossi. Good job for crutchlow.
100% shoud've been black flagged.

That said, Marquez is a animal. The talent he displayed in running everyone down was incredible. It's a shame he has to go to these lengths to find ways to draw attention away from his talent.

And his press conference afterwards? Is he insane?!? What is it with the Spanish riders these days. Lorenzo seemed to finally lose his marbles as well when he told the press that Dovi was secretly undermining him and ruining his career.

What a wild event from start to finish. I'll say it again, this is the most entertaining sport in the world right now and the drama is going to hit high gear only 2 races in.
JPT
4/8/2018 6:11pm
Lorenzo has to be ready to explode. Miller's fighting for a podium on a year old bike and Jorge is only in the points because Marguez knocked Rossi down then gets docked 30 seconds.
motogrady
4/8/2018 6:40pm

I dunno, rumor has it Marquez penalty increased, to be imposed next round.
700 rpm off his rev limiter, required to run extra safety gear as shown below.

XXVoid MainXX
4/8/2018 6:46pm
Ha ha! I'm a big fan of Rossi and Marquez both. But, Marc needs to dial it back.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
4/9/2018 5:12am
Marc’s talent and speed are undeniable, but damn that kid is DUMB! He was clearly so much faster than anyone else on the track and made 4 boneheaded mistakes to ruin what could have been an easy win.

1. Stalled the bike on the line. Come on dude, you’re the fastest in the world and you manage that?

2. Not going to pit lane. He’s been at this long enough to know the rules.

3. Riding backwards on the grid, see above.

4. The Rossi take out. You were gonna pass him anyway, why force it like that? What was he thinking?
4/9/2018 6:03am
I was pissed off about it from the start, guess the racer in me didn’t like seeing Miller get robbed, even the result didn’t make me much happier about it.
Marquez was flying, wasn’t he over a second a lap faster than anyone else all the way through?....they have set a precedent for the type of riding we are seeing, just look at Canet on Friday, guess if you have the right flag next to your name it affords a bit (read a lot) of leniency.

Post a reply to: MotoGP 2018

The Latest