MotoGP: Laguna Seca

Edited Date/Time 7/31/2012 6:39am
New rumors via Soup...

Hayden is vehemently denying any WSBK rumors. I gotta ask, since Yamaha of America is the main reason Spies has his factory ride and the main reason why he might stick around another season being that he is an American... why isnt Hayden in their discussion? Hayden is more marketable than Dovi, Spies, and Cal put together.

Seems like the Cal to Ducati deal is dead. It would have been signed by now if it were to happen. Cal was expecting it at Mugello and Ducati never presented it.

Dumb rumors about Marlboro and Rossi leaving Ducati for Yamaha. Similar dumb rumors were started about CocaCola a while back also. There is no evidence to substantiate either one of the claims though. Ive looked everywhere.

Here's what might go down...

Rossi and Hayden stay with Ducati.

Dovi to Gresisni (HRC has openly stated they could see themselves giving him a factory spec bike again). If this doesnt happen, and Gresini doesnt land Rossi, expect them to not even have a satellite Honda next year and just run two CRT's and Dovi will leave GP for a factory WSBK seat.

Cal gets the #2 factory Yamaha. His Tech3 bike is up for grabs. Maybe Edwards returns?

Prmac is going to fold unless Ducati steps in. Cardion might pull sponsorship of Karel Abrams satellite Ducati. Both Abrams and Barbera will be looking for rides. Or, as has been discussed, a joint team is formed. Who know's if Ducati will support a joint team though. They definitely want to save one of the satellite bikes for Ianonne and would like to save a spot for Petrucci.

Suzuki returns and they take on Spies and bring back Bautista.

And then their is BMW. Who could show up relatively unannounced and bring some of the WSBK guys with them. Many top guys in SBK are without contracts right now.

As for Laguna...

Ducati should be unveiling new bits and pieces of their new setup. It will take several races for the bikes overhaul to be completed but expect the 2013 spec Desmo to be in use in-full by Sept.

Pedrosa might be using the 2013 RCV this weekend as well.

I really wish I was going to this race. Next year for sure.
|
TX24
7/22/2012 10:21am

Hayden at the Springfield Mike about 2000.
dougie
7/22/2012 10:10pm
So four days ago I break down and get the 1/2 season video pass to Motogp.com. And for 2 days I enjoyed watching some of the classics. Then yesterday I get an email telling me that my subscription has expired. ARGH. Obviously Ive written and am awaiting a response. sorry had to vent in the proper forum Smile
SethGator
7/23/2012 5:59am
game time fellas...Steve Rapp and Attack Performance.
SethGator
7/23/2012 6:00am
Jab, dont see how Karel Abraham will be looking for a ride his dad owns the team and the Brno Circuit.

The Shop

SethGator
7/23/2012 6:02am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2012 6:03am
get ready for the Daytona Sportbike race saturday, Meen Motorsports has Bobby Fong and they have given one of my favorite riders in the AMA a wild card for the race to stay sharp since the XR1200 series is off till Indy, be on the look out for Tyler O'Hara, dude has only been road racing since 09' and is a straight bad ass.
SethGator
7/23/2012 6:10am
If LCR can get the backing for a second bike I would love to see the team be Stefan Bradl and Andrea Iannone. Gresini Honda would look good with Dovi and Johnny Rea, (is he ever going to come over from WorldSBK) I think this is going to be Colin's last season unless the rest of this year goes well on his new CRT (what that is, I dont know) would love to see him come back to the AMA Superbike class as a teammate to Blake Young on the Yosh Suzuki or on the HMC KTM bike.

Im already ready for silly season to get into full swing. next year should be a good one. maybe 2013 will be the year Kenan Sofuoglu tries his hand at Superbike again alongside Tom Sykes at Kawasaki. Loris Baz might have wrapped up that seat though. (it kills me inside to know that Joan Lascorz is most likely paralyzed from the waist down)
SethGator
7/23/2012 6:18am
Hector Barbera breaks leg in training accident. Hector broke his left fibula and shinebone while he was training for this weekend's US Grand Prix. Tomorrow morning Hector will undergo surgery at the Instituto Universitario DEXEUS in Barcellona. The Pramac Racing Team will wait for the surgery's result to decide the plans for the foreseeable future.
PaleBlue
7/23/2012 8:03am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2012 8:14am
SethGator wrote:
Hector Barbera breaks leg in training accident. Hector broke his left fibula and shinebone while he was training for this weekend's US Grand Prix. Tomorrow morning...
Hector Barbera breaks leg in training accident. Hector broke his left fibula and shinebone while he was training for this weekend's US Grand Prix. Tomorrow morning Hector will undergo surgery at the Instituto Universitario DEXEUS in Barcellona. The Pramac Racing Team will wait for the surgery's result to decide the plans for the foreseeable future.
Would this be an 'in' for Sylvan Guintoli? Last week he was given the push from the WSB Liberty Ducati team for "lack of results"! despite winning a race and being significantly better than the other two riders. Sylvan had previously ridden the Duke's ok a GP's and is probably the only guy 'free' at the moment. If not, someone will get "the push" in BSB to make room for him.
SethGator
7/23/2012 8:53am
PaleBlue wrote:
Would this be an 'in' for Sylvan Guintoli? Last week he was given the push from the WSB Liberty Ducati team for "lack of results"! despite...
Would this be an 'in' for Sylvan Guintoli? Last week he was given the push from the WSB Liberty Ducati team for "lack of results"! despite winning a race and being significantly better than the other two riders. Sylvan had previously ridden the Duke's ok a GP's and is probably the only guy 'free' at the moment. If not, someone will get "the push" in BSB to make room for him.
Sylvain looks like the only capable rider available at this point, the could look the way of Carlos but the way his season is going I doubt he would be up for the ride.

not sure who would be available to come over from BSB, the only Ducati team left is the one funded by Bin-Laden and Scott Smart just cant get the job done.
PaleBlue
7/23/2012 9:12am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2012 9:12am
PaleBlue wrote:
Would this be an 'in' for Sylvan Guintoli? Last week he was given the push from the WSB Liberty Ducati team for "lack of results"! despite...
SethGator wrote:
Sylvain looks like the only capable rider available at this point, the could look the way of Carlos but the way his season is going I...
Sylvain looks like the only capable rider available at this point, the could look the way of Carlos but the way his season is going I doubt he would be up for the ride.

not sure who would be available to come over from BSB, the only Ducati team left is the one funded by Bin-Laden and Scott Smart just cant get the job done.
Nah, I didn't mean from BSB to MotoGP! I meant that somebody in BSB will lose thier ride to make way for Sylvan ( who is well respected and universaly liked).

Just watching my recordings of the WSB and BSB races from the weekend. Our MX clubs brightest propect from a few years ago, made his debut in BSB chapionship this weekend - Danny Buchan. So proud of him, it's a real achievement. The silly thing is he gave up MX and went 'to tarmac' because he was fed up 'breaking bones' and he missed what should of been his debut on the MSS Kawasaki team, a couple of weeks ago, because he'd fractured a couple of vertebrae by crashing whiledoing a spot of MX racing at a local midweek meeting.

BTW Seth, that's quite an avatar photo you've got there!
SethGator
7/23/2012 11:00am
PaleBlue wrote:
Nah, I didn't mean from BSB to MotoGP! I meant that somebody in BSB will lose thier ride to make way for Sylvan ( who is...
Nah, I didn't mean from BSB to MotoGP! I meant that somebody in BSB will lose thier ride to make way for Sylvan ( who is well respected and universaly liked).

Just watching my recordings of the WSB and BSB races from the weekend. Our MX clubs brightest propect from a few years ago, made his debut in BSB chapionship this weekend - Danny Buchan. So proud of him, it's a real achievement. The silly thing is he gave up MX and went 'to tarmac' because he was fed up 'breaking bones' and he missed what should of been his debut on the MSS Kawasaki team, a couple of weeks ago, because he'd fractured a couple of vertebrae by crashing whiledoing a spot of MX racing at a local midweek meeting.

BTW Seth, that's quite an avatar photo you've got there!
Danny Buchan is legit thats for sure, b/w him and Keith Farmer the furture of BSB looks bright. Bradley Ray, Luke Hedger and Taylor Kennedy look like good prospects as well.

the avatar: fuckin Havasu.
7/23/2012 12:20pm
SethGator wrote:
Jab, dont see how Karel Abraham will be looking for a ride his dad owns the team and the Brno Circuit.
They want better support from Ducati. They'll be looking for another manufacturer to get a bike from and those are in short supply these days.

It really sucks. The kid has the money and he has talent but he cant get a decent bike to save his life. Really makes Dorna look like the fools they are for the environment they've created.
7/23/2012 12:25pm
SethGator wrote:
If LCR can get the backing for a second bike I would love to see the team be Stefan Bradl and Andrea Iannone. Gresini Honda would...
If LCR can get the backing for a second bike I would love to see the team be Stefan Bradl and Andrea Iannone. Gresini Honda would look good with Dovi and Johnny Rea, (is he ever going to come over from WorldSBK) I think this is going to be Colin's last season unless the rest of this year goes well on his new CRT (what that is, I dont know) would love to see him come back to the AMA Superbike class as a teammate to Blake Young on the Yosh Suzuki or on the HMC KTM bike.

Im already ready for silly season to get into full swing. next year should be a good one. maybe 2013 will be the year Kenan Sofuoglu tries his hand at Superbike again alongside Tom Sykes at Kawasaki. Loris Baz might have wrapped up that seat though. (it kills me inside to know that Joan Lascorz is most likely paralyzed from the waist down)
Dovi wont ride a CRT. So if LCR gets two bikes (thats all of the allowed satellites) then Gresini wont be able to get Dovi. At best next year, Gresini only gets Dovi and additional Honda support if they find some sponsorship help otherwise its CRT for both their bikes.

If LCR ends up with two satellites that would really be something for that team. Which Ive felt, has outperformed the official satellite team of Gresini over the years.

Ianonne is gonna end up on a Ducati I think.
dougie
7/23/2012 6:47pm
Looks like Tony Elias gets Hectors Duck this weekend.
yzthumpa
7/24/2012 11:09am
Wow. Ben Spies is officially a goner from Yamaha.
tunedlength
7/24/2012 8:55pm
Ben Spies is a gnarly dude.
His will to win is almost freakish.
I dont know why he has had such a lousy year but it wouldnt surprise me if it has something to do with Zeelenberg.
He has never mentioned Spies in any postrace enterviews. he acts like he isnt even on the team.
My guess is there was a dust up between these two,
TeamGreen
7/25/2012 10:19am
Ben Spies is a gnarly dude. His will to win is almost freakish. I dont know why he has had such a lousy year but it...
I dont know why he has had such a lousy year but it wouldnt surprise me if it has something to do with Zeelenberg.
He has never mentioned Spies in any postrace enterviews. he acts like he isnt even on the team.
My guess is there's another MFG that's been talking to Ben...for a while.
7/25/2012 10:59am
Ben Spies is a gnarly dude. His will to win is almost freakish. I dont know why he has had such a lousy year but it...
There is def more to this story.

Ben hasnt had that win-at-all costs look in his eye all year. And we know he is much better than he has shown. MUCH BETTER. He is a championship contender that is in 10th place. With Rossi, we know the issue, with Ben, we dont know it and it doesnt get nearly the attention but it should, he's every bit as talented as any of them.

Sounds like he's already got his next ride lined up and it sounds like he'll be in MotoGP. We have to believe Suzuki is coming back at this point.

This whole time I thought there was something of a personal nature that was distracting Spies. In my experiences, there is so much shit that goes on in any athletes private life that can derail things and we as fans never give it credit. But being that he didnt wait for the official release from Yamaha to make his announcement, this tells me that their is a rift within the team.

Remember last year when his mechanics left a wrench in his bike?

He did this during the USGP stretch. That is a PR nightmare for Yamaha. A total slap in the face to them. That is telling.

Hard to believe that he's upset with Yamaha but that seems like the case. Of any of the Japanese manufacturers, they are by far the best one to have a career with. This will be the first time that I can think of that someone had a problem with Yamaha politics and left what seems like an ideal situation.

I wonder if we will get the full story.

Word on the street right now is that he will be released once the US rounds are over. If that happens, that would allow him to begin testing immediately with Suzuki IF they plan on a return.

Although, I find it hard to believe he'd be so happy to return to that manufacturer. They are notoriously cheap. Kenny Robert Jr's 2000 title winning bike had parts in it from Kevin Schwantz's 1993 bike for the simple fact that they were being frugal.
Dsigner
7/25/2012 3:35pm
Smoke another bowl if you think Suzuki will have a 2 Rider MotoGP Team next year.
PaleBlue
7/25/2012 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2012 1:39am
JPT wrote:
A little more on this from SOUP. Sounds like he just have had enough.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/120724-11a.htm
Superbike planet? just a little too flag waving for me....

"Euro slanted prism"? Hardly. Manufactures and riders from around the world, competing in the ultimate results driven business. With so many quality riders competing for so few competitive seats, for sure, lack of results will be treated harshly. It's absolutely right that Ben is a super talent and a special rider but this year, something's not right and judging by the results of the three other M1s, it's not the bike.

I hope whatever is taking the edge off his riding get's sorted and he can come back and show again the talent that he, clearly, posseses. But, as to the article, saying that "the wheels don't fall off the wagon that quickly" ,sadly, that's just not true. They have plenty of times in the past at this level and will do so again. Whether that's the case with Ben I don't know, only time will tell.
7/26/2012 1:09am
Ducati has finally begun negotiations with Hayden. It looks like his seat is safe. Cal only comes to Ducati if Rossi leaves.

Where Rossi goes is anyones guess. Everyone is taking advantage of the hype and posting ridiculous theories on their sites. Gresini, Factory Yamaha, and Ducat all are pretty much on equal footing at the moment.

Dovi is going to end up at Gresini with a factory spec bike or in WSBK.

The hot rumor with Spies is that he's going to BMW in WSBK. Wherever he lands, it appears his deal is already done. He aint retiring as some have suggested. He said he's taking his personal sponsors with him and "a new chapter...back where he was meant to be".
yzthumpa
7/26/2012 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2012 6:59pm
Woohoo! Word is that Hayden is signing a one year deal with Ducati, possibly to be announced at Laguna Seca.
7/27/2012 5:00am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 5:15am
If any of you have the MotoGP videopass subscription, the press conference is worth watching for sure. Everyone is in classic form.

And Rossi finally admits that he has "other" options on the table. I truly believe he wants to make the Ducati work. He's giving them every chance to get it together.

Colin Edwards is in rare form. He will be missed when he is gone. A true throwback.

Spies had some very telling clues as to his next move. He repeatedly said he knew what his plans were but that he didnt know where he'd be racing, or something to that effect. Which further leads me to believe that he is returning to Suzuki since it is still unclear if they will be ready by 2013.
7/27/2012 5:50am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 9:00am
yzthumpa wrote:
Woohoo! Word is that Hayden is signing a one year deal with Ducati, possibly to be announced at Laguna Seca.
Yep. Even more so, is that Ducati is rumored to run two factory teams next year.

Prmac will be gone. And Karel Abrahams father says they want to go to another manufacturer. So Ducati is looking at running two teams. One under the Ducati banner and another under the Audi banner.

It appears they are making plans whether Rossi stays or goes. It's all up in the air.

Ive made a lot of predictions of the last two months, but here are my final two scenarios that I think are plausible.

HRC - Pedrobot
HRC - Marquez

Gresini - CRT (or Dovi if Rossi goes Yamaha)
LCR - Bradl

Yamaha - Jorge
Yamaha - Dovi or Rossi

Tech3 - ?
Tech3 - Smith

Ducati - Rossi (or Dovi as the #2 behind Hayden if Rossi goes Yamaha)
Ducati - Hayden

DucAudi - Cal (or Petrucci if Rossi goes Yamaha, does Abrahams stand a chance at getting this spot?)
DucAudi - Iannone

Suzuki - Spies
Suzuki - Bautista

BMW - It is possible they enter as early as 2013, for sure in 2014

Kawasaki - has a sponsor and rider in line for a 2014 return Ive heard

Aprilia - Staying with CRT bikes and picking on WSBK. Too scared to drag Biaggi's ass back into the real battle of MotoGP prototype racing. Sad

dePuniet will probably end up in WSBK. Which sucks. But so does CRT.

Post a reply to: MotoGP: Laguna Seca

The Latest