FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/4/2018 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2018 7:50pm
Oops wrong thread.
hard2kill
9/4/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2018 8:17pm
hard2kill wrote:
Yeah i don't know how everybody overlooked the chili peppers. In all honestly i just think its a fun conversation, not sure why some people get...
Yeah i don't know how everybody overlooked the chili peppers.

In all honestly i just think its a fun conversation, not sure why some people get Sooo.. upset about it. I guess i get it when you have a jerk like the guy interviewing the astronauts, but the op is not being offensive in that way, although some of the people responding in this thread certainly are. Its not a good look. I suppose its a bit more of a generational reaction? Like I said before i can't really say one way or the other, but i do remember having doubts about it long before youtube or the internet. Maybe that just means i was/am uninformed, but i don't think it warrants ridicule? Its odd how some things are not allowed to be questioned within our culture, while other things are not allowed to even be considered. Its a bit of a cynical attitude.
Shawn142 wrote:
My issue is most arguments are not based in logic or even common sense. They are stupidity paraded as fact with the person spouting it in...
My issue is most arguments are not based in logic or even common sense. They are stupidity paraded as fact with the person spouting it in relative confidence. For instance it's a hoax because no photo shows stars. Well even an amateur photographer can explain to you the difference between short and long exposure shots and how they affect distant light like stars. You can prove this to yourself with your cell phone camera.

The OP claims the launches were real but the guys just stayed in orbit until splash down. Well.. that's great but even amateur astronomers with a Walmart telescope can track the capsule. You can track the ISS with the naked eye. If it never left orbit an entire community would have been in an uproar the instant Apollo 8 claimed to have left orbit, nevermind 11 or any mission after.

Pretty much every conspiracy theory I run across is entirely down to a basic misunderstanding of the world around the person claiming it. And it's often complimented by a complete lack of interest in doing research to prove or disprove their point. Conspiracy is now like a disease that kills independent thought. It starts with JFK, Apollo, and now leads into the ever more ridiculous like flat Earth.
I can agree with that to an extent, but i would also say it goes both ways and this thread is evidence of that. Not your replies as they are more informative rather than hostile, but i would say perhaps still a bit biased towards your personal knowledge (maybe that's not a fair statement). Are you willing to investigate the discrepancies (look for possible damning evidence) or do you just go straight for the supporting evidence that you likely already posses (or have a bias towards)? How can you say for certain that you are not the one who has a basic misunderstanding, what makes your common sense the right common sense? I am not saying it is not,' just proposing a more philosophical approach to consider There are definitely a lot of idiot conspiracy nuts out there, but there are also some that do a lot and i mean a lot of good research, although those guys don't usually get the attention. We have to dig a little more for good unbiased research, you know take a real interest in doing research to prove or disprove a point, not just prop up our own positions.

I will admit that i am not the most informed person when it comes to space travel (NASA, Space X, ect.) thus i haven't made a clear cut decision on the matter, but i am not completely clueless either. There are some red flags surrounding the Apollo program, to deny that is being either a.(uninformed as well) or b.(a bit of a fan boy). On the other hand i would say that i am far more educated in astronomy and cosmology than the average person. Its funny how most people today feel that we posses a far greater knowledge of the cosmos than any other generation prior (and we do) but those same people and probably a lot in this thread can not even tell you what phase the moon is in at any given time, or locate Polaris. Things that even children held as common knowledge throughout history.

The Shop

m121c
9/4/2018 9:37pm
hard2kill wrote:
I can agree with that to an extent, but i would also say it goes both ways and this thread is evidence of that. Not your...
I can agree with that to an extent, but i would also say it goes both ways and this thread is evidence of that. Not your replies as they are more informative rather than hostile, but i would say perhaps still a bit biased towards your personal knowledge (maybe that's not a fair statement). Are you willing to investigate the discrepancies (look for possible damning evidence) or do you just go straight for the supporting evidence that you likely already posses (or have a bias towards)? How can you say for certain that you are not the one who has a basic misunderstanding, what makes your common sense the right common sense? I am not saying it is not,' just proposing a more philosophical approach to consider There are definitely a lot of idiot conspiracy nuts out there, but there are also some that do a lot and i mean a lot of good research, although those guys don't usually get the attention. We have to dig a little more for good unbiased research, you know take a real interest in doing research to prove or disprove a point, not just prop up our own positions.

I will admit that i am not the most informed person when it comes to space travel (NASA, Space X, ect.) thus i haven't made a clear cut decision on the matter, but i am not completely clueless either. There are some red flags surrounding the Apollo program, to deny that is being either a.(uninformed as well) or b.(a bit of a fan boy). On the other hand i would say that i am far more educated in astronomy and cosmology than the average person. Its funny how most people today feel that we posses a far greater knowledge of the cosmos than any other generation prior (and we do) but those same people and probably a lot in this thread can not even tell you what phase the moon is in at any given time, or locate Polaris. Things that even children held as common knowledge throughout history.
I'm curious as to what the red flags you speak of are.
Shawn142
9/4/2018 9:40pm
hard2kill wrote:
I can agree with that to an extent, but i would also say it goes both ways and this thread is evidence of that. Not your...

As a person in the unique position to touch spaceflight hardware of both the past and present you'd have to come at me with something pretty damning. To say we didn't land on the moon would imply our entire space program is a farce because we have been mapping the lunar surface in Google Earth-like detail for years just like we have Mars. We have photos of the landing sites and we still interact with hardware left on the surface even today.

I would entertain any red flags you might know that I haven't heard. So far I haven't seen or read anything that isn't a misunderstanding or misinformation.
gabrielito
9/5/2018 6:32am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/04/285187/s1200_aliens.jpg[/img]

Anybody with half a brain knows the astronauts landed on the moon. The Alien part is that the moon is a hollow space station that controls the tides and gravity so life could form on earth, duh!

early
Fantasy
2139th
9/5/2018 7:14am
https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=55958286&refid=asa

I listened to this podcast a week ago, it features a guy on the Apollo 8 mission that circled the moon and came back to Earth as recon before the landing. His mission snapped the "Earth Rise" photo posted below. He's in his 90s now and a bit of an interesting character.

One of the things to remember is that we used the greatest computer ever made to get to the moon in the 60s...the human brain. Like Shawn142 said, it was all analog and mechanical technology at that time which made things "simpler" and also more "dynamic". Today's unmanned and guided systems require so much preprogramming and bring with them a host of other issues. Think of it this way, it was pretty easy to jump in a bramd new '69 Chevelle and drive from New York to LA, but it took 50 years to build a car that can guide itself on that trip.
Shawn142
9/5/2018 8:51am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 8:54am
The guidance system from Apollo is standard learning for aerospace engineering. The thing is a marvel that used hand sewed cards to execute commands. The problem was everything was heavy, and weight was the biggest issue with Apollo. Now a single tiny microprocessor and motherboard replaces all the tubes, chambers, and miles or wiring the Apollo capsule and command modules had. A simple modern gimbal can replace the heavy and complicated mechanism that was used in Apollo. The old system weighed over 50lbs, now it doesn't even weight 1lbs. That's where the redesign process becomes more tricky because now you have more space and less weight, so the capability increases. We are doing way more with way less, but just like with the original Apollo program it's difficult to find that razor edge balance to get the most out of a spacecraft and still make it safe.

Post a reply to: Moon Landings

The Latest