Mattresses

Edited Date/Time 11/12/2022 6:47pm
Currently my wife and I are sleeping on a nightmare. Pillow top piece of shit that has a Black hole in the center. It’s soft. I hate soft. I like firm. But the wife doesn’t like firm mattresses.

But we both hate this one. Just sink into the bed and it’s hot. Keep the house at 64 at night just stay asleep without sweating to death.

What are you guys sleeping on? What do you think mattress life spans are now? Had this one for 5 years. The twin upstairs I slept on as a kid through college is still going strong. Half the time I just up there and sleep on it. this new planned obscelesence shit is getting old. They don’t make stuff like they used to....

Currently looking at a Serta hybrid oakridge II firm or an applause II firm. But don’t wanna get a huge black hole rut in the center of it after a year or two....
|
gabrielito
6/27/2018 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 6:33pm
I really like our online foam bed in a box we got a couple of years ago. There's tons of them out there, just do a little research and you will find what you are looking for.
TXDirt
6/27/2018 6:33pm
I'm going to give you every bit of knowledge and experience I have with mattresses. I have a lot. Spent thousands on different mattresses. This was before I finally had back surgery. L5S1 fusion.

I originally had a sleeprest beauty mattress. Garbage.

Then I tried and stave off surgery and I bought a $4k sleep number bed set. Garbage.

They all were garbage.

I decided to try a "bed in a bag" from ether Costco or Sams Club. Can't remember which. It was a firm mattress.

Best mattress I have ever had and probably less then $500 bucks.

Soft enough for my elbows and hips to rest, but fully firm enough to support my body.

You need body support. If it sags in the middle you are fucked.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
6/27/2018 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 6:47pm
Tuft and Needle. TN.com

No BS. Ships to your door in a box. Freaks you out at first, until you open and it expands to normal.

Quality for fair price, I think it was a 100 day no questions asked return policy. Worth a shot, nothing to lose.

No experience with them, but if you and your wife prefer different firmness, look into the Sleep Number beds? Adjustable sides and I think they are reasonable pricing?
6/27/2018 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2018 7:39pm
Tx we went to sams club tonight almost bought a $599 mattress. Laid on it. Felt. Good. But hell for $599 even if it wears out in 5 years it’s nit like I spent $2000! This shit is crazy. Anytime I got to buy anything or have anything done anymore it’s $2,000. Minimum. Driving me crazy.

What about Casper?

I don’t think we want foam. I feel like foam wears out. And it’s so hot. Old spring mattress my twin upstairs is awesome. 30 years I’ve had it. 30!!!!!! Just not big enough .

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
6/27/2018 8:23pm
AZ35 wrote:
Tuft and Needle. TN.com No BS. Ships to your door in a box. Freaks you out at first, until you open and it expands to normal...
Tuft and Needle. TN.com

No BS. Ships to your door in a box. Freaks you out at first, until you open and it expands to normal.

Quality for fair price, I think it was a 100 day no questions asked return policy. Worth a shot, nothing to lose.

No experience with them, but if you and your wife prefer different firmness, look into the Sleep Number beds? Adjustable sides and I think they are reasonable pricing?
I got a tuft and needle mattress about a year ago to replace an old traditional mattress. Holy shit! So good! It's hard to sleep on anything else. It's pretty soft for the first maybe 2 inches then firms up nicely, not overly hot. Also, I have it on a wood platform I built. I think it's better on a hard surface not a spring.
bigmaico
6/27/2018 8:25pm
Wife bought a $5,000 sleep number with adjustable bases.

I love the damm thing, my back didn’t hurt for the first time in years!

I don’t think I’ll ever need a new, If I do it will probably be another Sleep number.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
6/28/2018 1:02am
Mistress: The woman between the mister and the mattress.
MudPup545
6/28/2018 3:39am
We made the switch to a King sized bed by Sleep Number about 4 years ago. Adjustable head/foot positions and we can control firmness independently. It is a pillow top which surprised me because I didn't think I'd like it. Zero complaints so far. She keeps her side very soft, almost flat. My side is about half. On nights that my back is aching I can crank it up. It's not a medical device but, it sure makes a difference come morning.
Deja New
6/28/2018 4:26am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 4:27am
I’ve became a pensioner at 27 (I’m 44 now) due to back pains and I suffer from severe scoliosis 3cm one way the 3cm back the other. I’ve tried all sorts of mattresses and the day I bought a Tempur was the day I got my life back. I had back pains for weeks and 2 days after they were gone. It is A $12000 AUD Bed but worth every cent. I’ve had it now 12 months and I’d buy it in a heartbeat again. What we bought is a Tempur Cloud cool touch and it’s nothing short of amazing I can jump on my side and my wife does not move or feel it on hers. I’m 87kg and the wife is under 60kg not sure what that is in imperial weights and the mattress is perfect for both of us. Do yourself a massive favor and lie on one.
Deja New
6/28/2018 4:48am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 4:49am
12,000...... 12 “000” is that a typo ?
No Smile that did include pillows and protectors
MR. X
6/28/2018 5:02am
The wife and I are looking for a new one as well ,mostly her ,I could sleep on a gravel driveway and be comfy. What's the deal with those purple mattresses? She saw a commercial on tv and asked me if I heard of them.
Deja New
6/28/2018 5:02am
Remember you spend about 1/3 of your life in bed may as well make it as comfy as Smile
Deja New
6/28/2018 5:31am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 5:34am
GIwasB4 wrote:
$8800 usd
That’s only if you dont get the bed frame too then It is more like $20000AUD Smile or $14700USD
You have to lay on one then you’ll see why Smile I hardly move now in bed no tossing no turning and wake up feeling good, don’t sweat don’t wake up in pain or stiff and I don’t work for the company don’t get paid to say they are good. Have tried every sort of Mattress due to my back problems and nothing else even came close.
newmann
6/28/2018 6:10am
GIwasB4 wrote:
$8800 usd
About what we had tied up in a Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze with adjustable bases that was about a year old when the house flooded.Blink

Let's just say that neither of us was overly upset as we had never come to grips with the comfort level of the mattress or the adjustable base. Raise the head for my sinus problems and I would wake up halfway down the bed in the morning. Replaced it with a latex foam mattress from Restonic. Got their mattress cover to go with it. Comfy and cool and the latex is supposed to hold up for a really long time. We shall see.

Regardless of what mattress you end up with you aren't doing yourself any favors until you get a set of Cariloha Bamboo sheets and pillow cases. Forget everything else.
TXDirt
6/28/2018 7:23am
AZ35 wrote:
Tuft and Needle. TN.com No BS. Ships to your door in a box. Freaks you out at first, until you open and it expands to normal...
Tuft and Needle. TN.com

Those look pretty nice. Very similar to the "bed in a bag" I got from Costco.

"Soft but without the sag".

When I replace our King mattress I will consider one of these.

The bed in the bag I got at Costco was a queen mattress with a firm rating. My wife and I both love it. I sleep up stairs on it most of the time and wife sleeps downstairs with our daughters. Our King bed is the sleep number and we both absolutely hate it.
6/28/2018 7:57am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 7:59am
With sams return policy I’m just gonna try it out. They said no questions asked if I bring it back. Furniture stores don’t operate like that.

Serta applause II HYBRID. $599 queen set.....nobody here has that ?

Reviews are all over the place. But I don’t know what these people weigh. My wife is 120, I’m 165. We are lighter than most I think.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/28/2018 8:17am
I need a new mattress ASAP and want firm as well. I was pretty sold on the tuft and needle and might go that route.
TXDirt
6/28/2018 8:47am
Tx we went to sams club tonight almost bought a $599 mattress. Laid on it. Felt. Good. But hell for $599 even if it wears out...
Tx we went to sams club tonight almost bought a $599 mattress. Laid on it. Felt. Good. But hell for $599 even if it wears out in 5 years it’s nit like I spent $2000! This shit is crazy. Anytime I got to buy anything or have anything done anymore it’s $2,000. Minimum. Driving me crazy.

What about Casper?

I don’t think we want foam. I feel like foam wears out. And it’s so hot. Old spring mattress my twin upstairs is awesome. 30 years I’ve had it. 30!!!!!! Just not big enough .
I went back through my order history. I bought mine at Costco. It was a Novaform Deluxe Comfort Memory Foam Queen Mattress.

Here it is at Costco.

It's listed for $499. I got mine on sale for $399. Literally the best mattress I have ever slept on. I bought it in February of 2017 and it's still going strong.

For a king mattress I am looking at this for our downstairs bed. Novaform 12" Bella Venta Gel Memory Foam King Mattress.

It's listed for $899.

I highly recommend one of these mattresses. I will never buy a spring mattress again. These come in a bag. It's very heavy and all the air is sucked out. Once you open the bag it will come back to original size.

If you order from costco and don't like it very easy to take back to the store.
6/28/2018 8:59am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 9:00am
This is what scares me about foam. This what our mattress does now.

TXDirt
6/28/2018 9:01am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 9:04am
Mine has not sunk in at all and I'm 210 lbs.

On some of the reviews I don't think any bed would make the person happy.

It's very firm for support. So like the first 2 inches are plush. These take care of the pressure points. Hips, elbows, shoulders. Then the base layer is firm and this provides the support you need on your back.

Make no mistake, this is a medium firm bed. It does not sag.

I would sleep on this $499 bed over my $3k sleep number bed any day.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/28/2018 11:04am
I never liked any of the foam mattresses I slept in till I got the tuft and needle I mentioned above. It's about a year old and haven't seen any sinking during normal use on the plywood platform I built for it. Having said that, when I was refinishing our hardwood upstairs we we're sleeping in our living room and had the foam mattress stacked on another mattress from our guest room and the combination sunk in the middle bad. Nobody really stacks mattresses but it leads me to believe that even if you put a foam mattress on a bed spring there may be more sag and softness than if you have it on a hard surface.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/28/2018 2:06pm
We bought the least-expensive sleep number bed a few months ago and I'm loving it. I run a high number and sleep just fine. She can have whatever cushy, soft, weak-ass setting she wants!

I dial in a different number every now and then to see how it changes... for free
Get a "new" mattress any time I want... for free
Don't have to buy another one unless I puncture this one
When I move, I don't have to lug a heavy, unwieldy object through doorways or drag it on the ground
gabrielito
6/28/2018 2:48pm
Foam mattresses used to break down quickly, sag and not ventilate well. A few years ago they figured out how to make them last by using different density of foams in the same mattresses. The reason they are cheaper is because they have minimal overhead compared to a company selling through a mattress store or department store. No store + no sales man + significantly less shipping = way more bang for your buck.
BobPA
6/28/2018 8:16pm
I just bought a king Serra iComfort blue 100 gentle firm. So awesome....I tried a million different mattresses, and this one felt the best. Try it.
Deja New
6/28/2018 8:25pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
$8800 usd
newmann wrote:
About what we had tied up in a Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze with adjustable bases that was about a year old when the house flooded.:blink: Let's just...
About what we had tied up in a Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze with adjustable bases that was about a year old when the house flooded.Blink

Let's just say that neither of us was overly upset as we had never come to grips with the comfort level of the mattress or the adjustable base. Raise the head for my sinus problems and I would wake up halfway down the bed in the morning. Replaced it with a latex foam mattress from Restonic. Got their mattress cover to go with it. Comfy and cool and the latex is supposed to hold up for a really long time. We shall see.

Regardless of what mattress you end up with you aren't doing yourself any favors until you get a set of Cariloha Bamboo sheets and pillow cases. Forget everything else.
x2 on the bamboo sheets and pillow cases are a must

Post a reply to: Mattresses

The Latest