Market testing the lows from Oct

12/24/2018 12:25pm
I locked in to two oil stocks today (MDR and DNR) with the little bit of cash that was available in my IRA, I fiigure they will release their quarterly earnings soon, and can't go much lower, right?!
XXVoid MainXX
12/24/2018 2:24pm
Actually my COP has held up stronger than any of my other stocks. I picked some up 3 years ago when oil was in the toilet. Still up 62% from when I bought. Wish I could say the same for the rest of them.
TXDirt
12/24/2018 5:21pm
I locked in to two oil stocks today (MDR and DNR) with the little bit of cash that was available in my IRA, I fiigure they...
I locked in to two oil stocks today (MDR and DNR) with the little bit of cash that was available in my IRA, I fiigure they will release their quarterly earnings soon, and can't go much lower, right?!
I think it’s a good buy point. I’ve been accumulating all week. Kept a little dry powder in case it goes under $1. Will add some more if it does. It’s a long term play. It will rise as price of oil rises. When oil goes up hang on for the ride up!

The Shop

12/26/2018 10:47am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 10:48am
I timed the bounce pretty good. DNR is up 11% so far today, and MDR is up 2.5%. Yee haw for legal gambling with slightly better odds.
XXVoid MainXX
12/26/2018 11:29am
It's looking like we might finally get us a solid green day. Hoping that's a sign.
borg
12/26/2018 11:32am
When a correction nears a bottom, there can be a few head fakes. I do think it's near the bottom. 200 day moving average, P/E ratio near median. It can jerk around for a while before it heads back up for good. It may take some time to recover though because the sentiment for global growth is a bit sour.
TXDirt
12/26/2018 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 1:57pm
I timed the bounce pretty good. DNR is up 11% so far today, and MDR is up 2.5%. Yee haw for legal gambling with slightly better...
I timed the bounce pretty good. DNR is up 11% so far today, and MDR is up 2.5%. Yee haw for legal gambling with slightly better odds.
Closed up 23% today lol

Was I right or what!! Smile
12/26/2018 4:00pm
I timed the bounce pretty good. DNR is up 11% so far today, and MDR is up 2.5%. Yee haw for legal gambling with slightly better...
TXDirt wrote:
Closed up 23% today lol

Excellent! I wish I wasn't just playing with chump change though. I've only had my IRA for about two years. I put in $750
BMSOBx2
12/26/2018 5:34pm
TXDirt wrote:
Closed up 23% today lol

Yeah you were right. Now I'm back to where I started in 2017 and all my gains for the past year are gone. Winning
Rooster
12/27/2018 10:38am
That dead cat bounced pretty high yesterday.
XXVoid MainXX
12/28/2018 11:51am
As of right now I plan to just sit on what I have although I would like to buy more stock in general while things are...
As of right now I plan to just sit on what I have although I would like to buy more stock in general while things are low. I just don't have a lot of free cash left to put into it. I've been pumping a lot in over the last 3 years and am down half of what I gained in the last few months (except for Tesla, which is currently my biggest holding and has by itself kept me in the green overall rather than red over the last few months). Would be a good time to buy in general I think for sure. I don't think you could go wrong by investing in some of the big players (my personal pick would probably be more Amazon). But, I am a n00b at all of this so I wouldn't listen to anything I have to say. Smile
mx617 wrote:
Nothing wrong with buy and hold, but to be clear I was referring specifically to Tesla. With a volatile position like that I was wondering if...
Nothing wrong with buy and hold, but to be clear I was referring specifically to Tesla. With a volatile position like that I was wondering if you had a plan to capture some gains along the way.
So, I've been thinking about this and I think buy and hold isn't the right thing to do with TSLA. It's almost predictably up and down so why not cash in on that? I am going to take a percentage of my TSLA shares and play around a little. I wish I had sold about 50% of it when it was up over 370 recently because I knew it was going to come back down, even without the correction. I see they just picked up Larry Ellison as another board member this morning so the stock has gotten a boost today. I just sold 10 shares at 335 thinking it will come back down and continue to come down until just prior to the 4th quarter earnings report. I will buy again about a week before that assuming the price is lower than what I just sold at, at which point I predict the stock to rise again (assuming good 4Q news), hopefully back up into the 370+ territory, at which point will start the cycle over. I have 90 shares to play with and think I'll keep 50 shares back at all times for a long term and play with the rest, hoping I can build the number of shares. I realize this will take a tax hit but I don't think this should put me anywhere near day trader status. If I sell and the stock doesn't come back down, oh well, I've made money either way.
XXVoid MainXX
12/28/2018 11:59am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 11:59am
P.S. This is my first attempt at doing anything other than buy and hold so I'm a little excited. Smile What I probably should do is invest that money in one of my other stocks to pick up the correction rebound.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
12/28/2018 10:27pm
I'm looking to buy stock in small start ups, like $20 worth. Been using etrade because that's who my company uses for our accounts. I do have a merril lynch? account for my 401k but I have no idea what my login is for that. If I have one?
Anyways at $7 a trade, it doesn't really make sense to do small amounts with etrade. Is there a better site for cheap bastards?
akillerwombat
12/29/2018 7:41am
colintrax wrote:
I'm looking to buy stock in small start ups, like $20 worth. Been using etrade because that's who my company uses for our accounts. I do...
I'm looking to buy stock in small start ups, like $20 worth. Been using etrade because that's who my company uses for our accounts. I do have a merril lynch? account for my 401k but I have no idea what my login is for that. If I have one?
Anyways at $7 a trade, it doesn't really make sense to do small amounts with etrade. Is there a better site for cheap bastards?
I use Robinhood.com.

Free to use, free to trade. The "catch" is that you have to keep your money in there on a 3 day cycle so that they can make some money off of the interest.
500guy
12/29/2018 8:09am
P.S. This is my first attempt at doing anything other than buy and hold so I'm a little excited. :) What I probably should do is...
P.S. This is my first attempt at doing anything other than buy and hold so I'm a little excited. Smile What I probably should do is invest that money in one of my other stocks to pick up the correction rebound.
I have been thinking about doing similar with S&P ETF's like VOO the markets goes up and down.

Maybe buy and hold 10-20 shares and try to buy 5-10 shares and buy and sell , if S&P stays low through new years I can fund my IRA $6500 buy S&P wait for it to go up, sell and wait for it to go down.

I haven't tried anything like this but thinking many people do it.
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2018 8:33am
I have some VOO and VDC as well. I'll have to look at it more closely.
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2018 9:16am
I'm not sure VOO would be the one to do this with. I think you want something more volatile with more extreme highs and lows. The one other one in my portfolio I think I could do this with might be the other car stock I have (NIO). I'm thinking something that moves significantly with fairly consistent highs and lows over a reasonable time frame, like monthly or quarterly peaks. That way you have plenty of time to recognize the trends.
500guy
12/29/2018 9:38am
I'm not sure VOO would be the one to do this with. I think you want something more volatile with more extreme highs and lows. The...
I'm not sure VOO would be the one to do this with. I think you want something more volatile with more extreme highs and lows. The one other one in my portfolio I think I could do this with might be the other car stock I have (NIO). I'm thinking something that moves significantly with fairly consistent highs and lows over a reasonable time frame, like monthly or quarterly peaks. That way you have plenty of time to recognize the trends.
maybe Square ? SQ

I bought some when it was 40 a share it dropped and I didn't want to lose to much and I sold at a 12% loss, a few months later it was in the 90's and I'm kicking myself for taking the loss.

52-wk high 101.15
52-wk low 34.38

This stock seems to fluctuate $10- $20 on a regular basis , no idea why
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2018 9:40am
Also, I think there was mention of this before but is there money to be made with nVidia?

12/29/2018 9:42am
Goofy Foot wrote:
If you want to take advantage of the falling market buy UVXY....buy it when you think the market is going to dump and watch UVXY pop...
If you want to take advantage of the falling market buy UVXY....buy it when you think the market is going to dump and watch UVXY pop. It does the exact opposite of what the market does.
And one day it will implode like svxy
12/29/2018 9:46am
borg wrote:
When a correction nears a bottom, there can be a few head fakes. I do think it's near the bottom. 200 day moving average, P/E ratio...
When a correction nears a bottom, there can be a few head fakes. I do think it's near the bottom. 200 day moving average, P/E ratio near median. It can jerk around for a while before it heads back up for good. It may take some time to recover though because the sentiment for global growth is a bit sour.
Watch the long term trendline that is now resistance from 2008 on most indices. We may be in for a long term bear market.
SEE ARE125
12/31/2018 3:28pm
Slightly off topic from stocks, but cryptocurrency has sort of been off everyone's radar lately and prices are low. Anyone think they’ll rebound to near where it was last year, or was it just a bunch of hype?
APLMAN99
12/31/2018 3:41pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Slightly off topic from stocks, but cryptocurrency has sort of been off everyone's radar lately and prices are low. Anyone think they’ll rebound to near where...
Slightly off topic from stocks, but cryptocurrency has sort of been off everyone's radar lately and prices are low. Anyone think they’ll rebound to near where it was last year, or was it just a bunch of hype?
It will probably have some come backs and then recede again, over and over. Just like the other things that it is most like, Pokémon, pet rocks, and Beanie Babies.....
APLMAN99
12/31/2018 3:53pm
Dow Jones didn't technically reach the "bear" level of decline, but it was pretty dang close!

TXDirt
1/4/2019 10:17am
TXDirt wrote:
Closed up 23% today lol

Excellent! I wish I wasn't just playing with chump change though. I've only had my IRA for about two years. I put in $750
Assume you are still holding it? Up almost 10% today. Over $2 now!!
TXDirt
1/4/2019 11:26am
yeah DNR was mine. It's a long play for big returns. It tracks oil prices very closely. If oil goes up it goes up. Oil goes down it goes down. If oil goes back to $70-$80 a barrel then it's easily a $5-$7 dollar stock. Even at $2 it's still a good time to buy in.

If you believe oil will go back up, which I think it will long term, then hold onto it until it hits at least 5-6 dollars a share then dump it for pretty sizable profit.
XXVoid MainXX
1/4/2019 12:47pm
I'm hoping that yesterday was the last big fuck you by the market for a while.
1/4/2019 1:32pm
I'm hoping that yesterday was the last big fuck you by the market for a while.
It should be, atleast until the truce meeting next week lol. Then it’s gonna hit the fan again.

Post a reply to: Market testing the lows from Oct

The Latest