Market testing the lows from Oct

borg
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2022 10:19am
Don't be surprised if this market takes an even bigger shit. It's not even in correction territory yet. If I was a buyer I would be keeping my powder dry. We need to see another 4 or 5% to make it a good correction. S&P is still at 20 time earnings. Average is closer to 16.

Disclaimer:
Past performance is not necessarily an indication of future blah blah blah.
Real disclaimer:
Do your DD and don't listen to me.
|
TXDirt
11/20/2018 8:41pm
Back the truck up on some beaten down oil stocks and load up. Hold long on it. I have a few I really like. Purchased them a few years ago for 1-2 dollars a share. Sold for $6 a share. They are back in the $2.30 range. Once it goes back under $2 I will be a buyer. And if it dips below $1 then back the truck up. Buy 10-20 thousand shares and sell for $60-120k at $6 a share in a few years.
Goofy Foot
11/20/2018 8:52pm
TXDirt wrote:
Back the truck up on some beaten down oil stocks and load up. Hold long on it. I have a few I really like. Purchased them...
Back the truck up on some beaten down oil stocks and load up. Hold long on it. I have a few I really like. Purchased them a few years ago for 1-2 dollars a share. Sold for $6 a share. They are back in the $2.30 range. Once it goes back under $2 I will be a buyer. And if it dips below $1 then back the truck up. Buy 10-20 thousand shares and sell for $60-120k at $6 a share in a few years.
Why don't you share the ticker symbols so you can get more of a boost when all the vital buyers jump in with you Smile
TXDirt
11/20/2018 9:21pm
TXDirt wrote:
Back the truck up on some beaten down oil stocks and load up. Hold long on it. I have a few I really like. Purchased them...
Goofy Foot wrote:
Why don't you share the ticker symbols so you can get more of a boost when all the vital buyers jump in with you Smile
Anytime I share a ticker symbol it just jinxes everything!!! lol

The Shop

Goofy Foot
11/20/2018 11:04pm
If you want to take advantage of the falling market buy UVXY....buy it when you think the market is going to dump and watch UVXY pop. It does the exact opposite of what the market does.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/21/2018 1:15pm
OK, investment guys, what's your take on the real estate market, especially in California?

All the research I'm seeing points to a drawback in 2020, so I'm holding off until at least then to buy a home. Good idea?
I'm thinking that the market will likely take a long time to find the bottom of whatever decline happens, but this will be a personal, permanent residence so I almost don't care. I just would prefer to avoid an underwater scenario.
XXVoid MainXX
11/21/2018 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 6:11pm
I ignored Ivan's warning and bought today. Smile I only bought half has much as I wanted to though, will do the other half later.
borg
11/21/2018 5:43pm
I ignored Ivan's warning and bought today. Smile I only bought half has much as I wanted to though, will do the other half later.
That's called "dollar cost averaging". Generally considered wise investing. On the good side it didn't close (much) below yesterday. On the bad side it slid down quite a bit at the close. It will do that before a long weekend. Pussies don't want to hang till Monday. No nads.
TXDirt
11/21/2018 6:36pm
borg wrote:
That's called "dollar cost averaging". Generally considered wise investing. On the good side it didn't close (much) below yesterday. On the bad side it slid down...
That's called "dollar cost averaging". Generally considered wise investing. On the good side it didn't close (much) below yesterday. On the bad side it slid down quite a bit at the close. It will do that before a long weekend. Pussies don't want to hang till Monday. No nads.
Or sometimes called catching a falling knife!! Smile
APLMAN99
11/22/2018 11:09pm
borg wrote:
That's called "dollar cost averaging". Generally considered wise investing. On the good side it didn't close (much) below yesterday. On the bad side it slid down...
Not quite dollar cost averaging, but definitely hedging just a bit.....
borg
11/24/2018 6:37am
borg wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
I never quite adopted the strategy myself. It seems like you are intentionally ignoring market conditions to maintain a schedule. As a swing trader I never bought when the market was making new highs but then again I wasn't "investing".
borg
11/24/2018 6:48am
I should have listened to Ivan.
Even if we go through a protracted bottom search you still bought low. Even it goes down another 5 or 8% you can add more. I'm talking about the S&P. Your own individual stocks can be completely different. Apple is down 22% for no apparent reason. Tesla is almost back to it's high's......for no apparent reason. It's why I rarely traded stocks. Much more difficult to predict in my opinion.
borg
11/24/2018 7:00am
Amazon is having some issues. I think the marketplace is ready for a new player. A true discount house like Amazon used to be. The only way they can claim to be discount now is by selling Chinese crap. They pay no attention to what it is they are associating themselves with. That's not a good plan in my opinion.
APLMAN99
11/24/2018 7:12am
borg wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
borg wrote:
I never quite adopted the strategy myself. It seems like you are intentionally ignoring market conditions to maintain a schedule. As a swing trader I never...
I never quite adopted the strategy myself. It seems like you are intentionally ignoring market conditions to maintain a schedule. As a swing trader I never bought when the market was making new highs but then again I wasn't "investing".
It’s for your “safe” money, not for when you’re trying to swing for the fences. Everyone’s done it if they have a 401K that comes out of their paycheck. Works very well over the long term.

XXVoid MainXX
11/24/2018 7:14am
Tesla is coming back down. There is a reason for them getting back close to their highs though. 3rd quarter results show them turning a large profit and forecasted to be turning a profit from here on out. I bought a bunch more when it got down to 255 about a month ago and a week later it was up to 340. I've seen a trend though. The stock was slowly dropping for 2 months prior to the 3rd quarter call. I knew (strongly suspected) the call would be very good news and bought about 3 days before the call. The next day some news indicated the upcoming call was going to be a good one and the stock started climbing. I timed it perfectly. It got to a high and is slowly coming back down. I predict it will do the same as last time and continue that trend until the 4Q call and if the news is still good will jump back up. I want to buy a little more so I plan on doing it about a week before Q4 call.
Money
11/26/2018 6:48pm
Tesla is coming back down. There is a reason for them getting back close to their highs though. 3rd quarter results show them turning a large...
Tesla is coming back down. There is a reason for them getting back close to their highs though. 3rd quarter results show them turning a large profit and forecasted to be turning a profit from here on out. I bought a bunch more when it got down to 255 about a month ago and a week later it was up to 340. I've seen a trend though. The stock was slowly dropping for 2 months prior to the 3rd quarter call. I knew (strongly suspected) the call would be very good news and bought about 3 days before the call. The next day some news indicated the upcoming call was going to be a good one and the stock started climbing. I timed it perfectly. It got to a high and is slowly coming back down. I predict it will do the same as last time and continue that trend until the 4Q call and if the news is still good will jump back up. I want to buy a little more so I plan on doing it about a week before Q4 call.
Not a bad day for Tesla. Was hoping it would come down a bit more before buying
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/26/2018 8:55pm
Anybody buy GM right before the bump they got from closing American factories?
XXVoid MainXX
11/26/2018 10:10pm
Tesla is coming back down. There is a reason for them getting back close to their highs though. 3rd quarter results show them turning a large...
Money wrote:
Not a bad day for Tesla. Was hoping it would come down a bit more before buying
I still think it will come down some more. Could be wrong.
borg
11/27/2018 3:41am
Some headwinds on the horizon for the electric car makers. The federal subsidy will be running out pretty soon. It will take Congress to extend it. Be interesting to see what happens. If they do nothing, subs get cut in half and half again later.
XXVoid MainXX
11/27/2018 5:55am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 5:58am
Yeah, I've been watching that but to be honest I don't think it will have much impact for a while. I don't think that is a huge factor for people who can afford to shell out 70-80k for a car. Now when all of those people have their cars and they get down to the people waiting on the lower cost car it will be a little more of a factor. However, they've primarily only been selling to people in the US so far there are a lot more rich people out there in other countries. Of course the raised tariffs do not help either. Personally, I think they should eliminate the tax breaks on EVs and the subsidies on fossil fuel.
steed 2.0
11/27/2018 6:33am
"they've primarily only been selling to people in the US so far there are a lot more rich people out there in other countries" Tesla has a factory over here... they sell pretty well actually.

XXVoid MainXX
11/27/2018 2:42pm
I should have qualified my statement to the Model 3. Absolutely the S and X do gang busters over there, and I expect the Model 3 will as well, when they finally start selling them over there.
borg
11/28/2018 11:24am
Ivan, are we finally coming out of the funk?
I will give you a definitive answer: Maybe. Anybody that actually calls the bottom made a lucky guess. When I look at the volume for today it's a bit weak which usually means lack of conviction and more volatility to come. A decent Santa Clause rally would make everybody feel better.
The scuttlebutt is that global GDP will be stagnant all next year. Add in rising interest rates and the fallout from tariffs and the "experts" predict that '19 will be more like '18 than '17. The Dow went up 30% in '17 and so far in '18 it's still under water. A term called "reversion to the mean" comes to mind.
XXVoid MainXX
11/28/2018 1:00pm
Every single one of my stocks finished in the green today, which can mean only one thing. Every single one of them will end in the red tomorrow. Smile

Post a reply to: Market testing the lows from Oct

The Latest