Man dies in "swatting" 'prank

NorCal 50+
If you live in a country where somebody can pick up the phone, say some BS, and someone gets shot in their doorway- you live in a very fucked up country that is more like Nazi Germany. I hope people wake up soon. This is not acceptable on any level or under any rationalization. I am honestly looking at getting the hell out of the United States, because there is a war going on against the people.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/12/andrew-finch-call-of-duty-swatting/

A relative of Andrew Finch’s told the Wichita Eagle that the victim didn’t play video games. Deputy chief Livingstone told the media that officers recieved the call to go to the 1000 block of McCormick and “got into position.” Livingstone continued, “A male came to the front door. As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon.”

|
Hut
12/30/2017 10:46am
Agree completely unacceptable. What if he was holding a candy bar?
TXDirt
12/30/2017 11:12am
Damn, back in my day we would just order someone a pizza as a prank. Never entered our minds to be this vicious as to make a prank swat patrol call saying a guy had killed a family member and was holding other members hostage.

Unreal...

Firstly, whoever made this call is at the head of the line to blame. They started the first action that resulted in this mans death. They should be severely punished. 15+ years for this crap in my opinion.

Two, if police were so concerned then why didn't they use the intercom to try and get the guy out of the house? Why go right up to his house and ring doorbell and then kill him??

Terrible on all accounts.
JRT812
12/30/2017 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2017 1:22pm
First time of hearing about this type of prank.
12/30/2017 3:25pm
^ I don't know about over there but here they are now requiring university (college) degrees for new officers, not that it means they are suitable for the job.

In the same way that those most wanting to borrow money can't afford it, maybe those most wanting to be officers aren't suitable

The Shop

NorCal 50+
12/31/2017 12:24am
Too bad the thread got derailed.
I like this from CNN:

"One problem in prosecuting swatting cases is that many are perpetrated by juveniles as a prank or joke, and it's difficult to prove they had an intent to cause harm."

Let me rephrase that: "One problem is that some idiot can pick up a phone, say some bullshit and cops will go to a guy's house and shoot him. Man, that is screwed up."

The job of the media is to dilute this into something other than pointing out that dial-up murder in America as easy as ordering a pizza, because the USA has gone off its rocker. The institutions are run by maniacs, I hate to say. Welcome to your Giant Banana Republic.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/31/2017 12:57am
Guy who called the police has been arrested. IMO he deserves life
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/31/2017 3:22am
colintrax wrote:
Agreed
Firefly47
1/2/2018 7:29am
colintrax wrote:
And the cop that was quick to kill the innocent man should get lethal injection.
1/3/2018 10:32am
colintrax wrote:
Firefly47 wrote:
And the cop that was quick to kill the innocent man should get lethal injection.
The guy who called police is one level of dumb ass. But the cop quick to shoot, holy shit.
This can happen to any of us at any time. Totally innocent and bam, you're dead. No time to clean up your browsing history.
peelout
1/3/2018 10:39am
from what i understand it was a swat member that pulled the trigger, not a standard police officer?

if so, you would think those guys have much more training when it comes to that?

this whole thing is a mess... really feel for the poor guy's (the one that was killed) family.
APLMAN99
1/3/2018 10:43am
colintrax wrote:
Firefly47 wrote:
The guy who called police is one level of dumb ass. But the cop quick to shoot, holy shit. This can happen to any of us...
The guy who called police is one level of dumb ass. But the cop quick to shoot, holy shit.
This can happen to any of us at any time. Totally innocent and bam, you're dead. No time to clean up your browsing history.
You have to set up that password agreement way ahead of time...........
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/12/2018 2:52pm
So, the SWAT team, which is presumably well-trained in special operations, went to a man's house under suspicion of murder but didn't bother to verify the anonymous tip? Then shot first, asked questions later? Everyone involved in that operation should be in prison. They know better and they can do better.
1/12/2018 3:55pm
peelout wrote:
from what i understand it was a swat member that pulled the trigger, not a standard police officer? if so, you would think those guys have...
from what i understand it was a swat member that pulled the trigger, not a standard police officer?

if so, you would think those guys have much more training when it comes to that?

this whole thing is a mess... really feel for the poor guy's (the one that was killed) family.
Wonder if some swat guys are like loose cannon emt. Not all emt are stupid. But there’s quite a few that are questionable.

Goes to say....probably unqualified people in every position. What can you do ?
Timo_2824
1/13/2018 6:21pm
Wasn't the SWAT team, just regular officers on seen. The Officer that shot had a rifle and was 40 yards away. The bullet crossed a city street, a sidewalk, and the victim's yard.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/14/2018 4:49pm
Wonder if some swat guys are like loose cannon emt. Not all emt are stupid. But there’s quite a few that are questionable. Goes to say....probably...
Wonder if some swat guys are like loose cannon emt. Not all emt are stupid. But there’s quite a few that are questionable.

Goes to say....probably unqualified people in every position. What can you do ?
Loose cannon EMT? WTF is that? You do realize that EMT is Emergency Medical Technician, right? What precisely would a "loose cannon EMT" do?
PalerBlue
1/16/2018 10:32am
Shooting first and asking questions later has been happening for a LONG time. It's only a 'problem' when one of your own is the victim. In the past, on this forum, people have queued up to justify virtually all the contentious police shootings, inventing possible scenarios to legitimize them.
You get the police force you desire/deserve. In a democracy the people can change things and the American people, as a whole, seem happy with the status quo.
Donovan759
1/16/2018 12:34pm
Read this last week and forgot to comment. I never knew this was a thing. What the hell is wrong with people. In what way is this even considered a "prank". Its extremely dangerous for everyone involved... wtf.... people are so stupid.

Post a reply to: Man dies in "swatting" 'prank

The Latest