Maher goes too far

borg
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:53am
Talking about Palin,
"The leader of a family of strange, inbred weirdos, straight out of The Hills Have Eyes." Obviously a reference to her son Trig who has Down Syndrome.

I don't get HBO anymore but when I did I watched him all the time. I thought he was funny and clever and yes, a little edgy, but this really lowers the bar. Even for him.

I think he's jealous of anybody that's more effeminate than him or Obama.
|
jtomasik
7/23/2011 7:10am
He's the left's version of Rush Limbaugh.

Fact!
90smxer
7/23/2011 7:26am
jtomasik wrote:

Fact!
A difference between the two. Maher is a comedian and most people know that. Limbaugh is not a comedian and most people take him seriously.
Void Main
7/23/2011 7:35am
Maher is a comedian? Aren't comedian's supposed to be funny?
SteveS
7/23/2011 7:35am
People take Limbaugh seriously?

The Shop

jmar
7/23/2011 7:41am
Maher is an arrogant partisan douche bag.
jtomasik
7/23/2011 7:57am
jmar wrote:
^^ This.

He's the left's version of Limbaugh.
sc961
7/23/2011 8:04am
jtomasik wrote:

Fact!
Jtom, I don't listen to either regularly.

The little bit I do listen, I've not heard Limbaugh attack someones family like that.

Seems there's more and more of this over the line discussion surrounding politics. Sorry state of affairs for the US..
jtomasik
7/23/2011 8:13am
sc961 wrote:
Jtom, I don't listen to either regularly. The little bit I do listen, I've not heard Limbaugh attack someones family like that. Seems there's more and...

The little bit I do listen, I've not heard Limbaugh attack someones family like that.

Seems there's more and more of this over the line discussion surrounding politics. Sorry state of affairs for the US..
I'll never forget the first time I heard Limbaugh. I was driving out the 101 going down the hills between the 23 and Camarillo, in California, and I'm shaking my head thinking, "I'll bet people actually believe this shit." Whether someone's throwing personal crap (I know Limbaugh has done this), or just pushing partisan bullshit, it's nobody's fault but the voting public for putting them in power.

Supply and demand. Don't demand, supply dries up. We can poke at the Maher's and Limbaugh's all day, but it's our fault for putting them in power. Same goes for the big parties (but you already know this).
borg
7/23/2011 8:16am
jtomasik wrote:

Fact!
sc961 wrote:
Jtom, I don't listen to either regularly. The little bit I do listen, I've not heard Limbaugh attack someones family like that. Seems there's more and...

He has. He said some pretty bad stuff about Hillary and Chelsea. Strictly personal stuff.
sc961
7/23/2011 8:19am
Same goes for the big parties (but you already know this).

Seems the past and current leadership have created the demand.

The general voting public don't want to wade through all the bullshit. They want someone with the knowledge to fill them in. Since most elected officials are more worried about being re-elected, than doing what's right, this is what we have.

If our elected leadership would stop playing the idiotic games we see today, there would be no demand for shows like Limbaugh and the rest.
sc961
7/23/2011 8:21am
borg wrote:
He has. He said some pretty bad stuff about Hillary and Chelsea. Strictly personal stuff.
As I said, it may have happened I just hadn't heard it.

Fact is there is no defense for shit like that. There is also no defense for the way our political system functions.

Both of these issues feed off the other, and we pay their way every day.
jtomasik
7/23/2011 8:29am
borg wrote:
sc961 wrote:
As I said, it may have happened I just hadn't heard it. Fact is there is no defense for shit like that. There is also no...
As I said, it may have happened I just hadn't heard it.

Fact is there is no defense for shit like that. There is also no defense for the way our political system functions.

Both of these issues feed off the other, and we pay their way every day.
The personal attacks mean little more to me than the idiotic illogical partisan bullshit both spew.

I'll disagree with you about blaming the parties. The public should be capable of seeing through their power-grabbing behavior and walk away. Unfortunately, the public doesn't. So here we are.
sc961
7/23/2011 8:44am
jtomasik wrote:
The personal attacks mean little more to me than the idiotic illogical partisan bullshit both spew. I'll disagree with you about blaming the parties. The public...
The personal attacks mean little more to me than the idiotic illogical partisan bullshit both spew.

I'll disagree with you about blaming the parties. The public should be capable of seeing through their power-grabbing behavior and walk away. Unfortunately, the public doesn't. So here we are.
Agreed with the first point.

We've allowed our politcal system to become more important than the voters. Once that ball started rolling down the hill, there is little opportunity to stop it.

To change what we have in place will take a serious effort by someone or something. I'm not sure if or how that happens, but until it does we are going in the wrong direction with no chance of change.
jtomasik
7/23/2011 8:48am
Kinda strange that the public educational requirements to be a teacher are slightly that above anyone who can squeeze through college in the easiest of classes. My ex is a teacher, and she's about as sharp as my son's bearded dragon.

Public education is yet another failure. It's up to the household to pick up and fix the problem. And, another unfortunate situation we'll need is to go hungry. Great lessons are often learned through hard times.
Rocket88
7/23/2011 9:04am
jmar wrote:
He's like Wile E. Coyote.

He thinks he's uber smart and uses his intellect as a tool to belittle those beneath his Super Genious-ness.

Wind Bag Doosh.
jmar
7/23/2011 9:09am
jtomasik wrote:
Kinda strange that the public educational requirements to be a teacher are slightly that above anyone who can squeeze through college in the easiest of classes...
Kinda strange that the public educational requirements to be a teacher are slightly that above anyone who can squeeze through college in the easiest of classes. My ex is a teacher, and she's about as sharp as my son's bearded dragon.

Public education is yet another failure. It's up to the household to pick up and fix the problem. And, another unfortunate situation we'll need is to go hungry. Great lessons are often learned through hard times.
Sounds like you need to pull you kid out of public school and home school him.
SteveS
7/23/2011 9:28am
I have a sister and brother in law who are teachers. I can assure you that their incomes are far above what a McDonald's employee makes, not to mention the insurance and huge retirements they will get. They have absolutely no complaints about the money they make.
flarider
7/23/2011 9:56am
borg wrote:
Talking about Palin, "The leader of a family of strange, inbred weirdos, straight out of The Hills Have Eyes." Obviously a reference to her son Trig...
Talking about Palin,
"The leader of a family of strange, inbred weirdos, straight out of The Hills Have Eyes." Obviously a reference to her son Trig who has Down Syndrome.

I don't get HBO anymore but when I did I watched him all the time. I thought he was funny and clever and yes, a little edgy, but this really lowers the bar. Even for him.

Um, yeah, look...the part about you making it about their son, Trig, with Down Syndrome, that's on you, because I never got that in reading it.
I got it as him calling them inbred hillbillies, not singling any of the bunch out.
You singled one out, so that's on you.

I think he's a biased hack like all the others, but at least he doesn't pretend to be an authority, pretend to have some power and clearly is a comedian, whether you think he's funny or not, and he takes his act on the comedy circuit.
When did Rush or Hannity do a comic tour?

Maher is a comedian, obvious by the fact he opens his show with a monologue.

But you're making this about Palin's son, is on you.
flarider
7/23/2011 9:58am
Oh, and one more thing, next time you say someone's too sensitive about race, homosexuality or religion issues because you don't see it that way, I'll remind you of this thread and how you generated your own version and reality
captmoto
7/23/2011 10:05am
I wouldn't learn a thing in her class. I would be spending all my time trying to hide a stiffie.
jmar
7/23/2011 10:09am
jtomasik wrote:
Holy fuck, McDonald's pays $30/hour?

Public School Teacher average salary

Idiotic post. Raise their standard of education above that of a chimp.
I think salary.com is full of shit.

It's saying that the average for a teacher in OKC is 46k. My wife is a teacher with a masters, and she doesn't make 46k.
jtomasik
7/23/2011 10:12am
jmar wrote:
I think salary.com is full of shit. It's saying that the average for a teacher in OKC is 46k. My wife is a teacher with a...

It's saying that the average for a teacher in OKC is 46k. My wife is a teacher with a masters, and she doesn't make 46k.
Stop living in a third world country.

My ex's rate is right in line with salary.com. However, she stopped working so she can collect my alimony.

Nice.
jmar
7/23/2011 10:32am
jmar wrote:
I think salary.com is full of shit. It's saying that the average for a teacher in OKC is 46k. My wife is a teacher with a...

jtomasik wrote:
Stop living in a third world country. My ex's rate is right in line with salary.com. However, she stopped working so she can collect my alimony...
Stop living in a third world country.

My ex's rate is right in line with salary.com. However, she stopped working so she can collect my alimony.

Nice.
So you live in Littleton CO. and you think that OKC is a third world country?

You should get out more often. You might be surprised how OKC would stack up to other Cities.
SteveS
7/23/2011 11:04am
But we should raise her taxes to save the country....
Mr. G
7/23/2011 11:10pm
The Maher problem would solve it'self if he just grew up a little. That's all, just grew up a little. I guess he would have to do an entirely different show though.
CR250Rider
7/23/2011 11:53pm
jmar wrote:
a small segment really adores him

takes "all kinds" I guess
SEEMEFIRST
7/23/2011 11:59pm
The thing about Marher is he seems to believe what he's saying, unlike funny comedians who are just making up stories.

As far as the personal attacks go, this is nothing new. I saw where Jefferson's opposition were telling the public that if he were elected, there would be rapers, and murders running the streets. They were slamming his morals to the point that I think even Maher would have drawn a line.
jonjon714
7/24/2011 5:10am
^^ "The problem is that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the people who are most certain of them."

— Bill Maher
borg
7/24/2011 7:10am
borg wrote:
Talking about Palin, "The leader of a family of strange, inbred weirdos, straight out of The Hills Have Eyes." Obviously a reference to her son Trig...
Talking about Palin,

flarider wrote:
Um, yeah, look...the part about you making it about their son, Trig, with Down Syndrome, that's on you, because I never got that in reading it...
Um, yeah, look...the part about you making it about their son, Trig, with Down Syndrome, that's on you, because I never got that in reading it.
I got it as him calling them inbred hillbillies, not singling any of the bunch out.
You singled one out, so that's on you.

I think he's a biased hack like all the others, but at least he doesn't pretend to be an authority, pretend to have some power and clearly is a comedian, whether you think he's funny or not, and he takes his act on the comedy circuit.
When did Rush or Hannity do a comic tour?

Maher is a comedian, obvious by the fact he opens his show with a monologue.

But you're making this about Palin's son, is on you.
Right. Almost all comedians have regular panel discussions with politicians and reporters.
BTW, Rush used to do what he called Rush to Excellence tours. A good deal of the material was comedy.
You can classify Maher as a "comedian only" if you need some cover that allows you to defend his low rent statements , but he doesn't claim it's an act. He's serious about his politics.

Post a reply to: Maher goes too far

The Latest