MTBing my way from Charlotte to Upstate NY

jchek779
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 10:56pm
Not really riding the whole way - I am planning a multi-day trip on a drive from Charlotte, NC to the Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY. I'm planning to mix in some MTB rides, some sight seeing, touristy things, and camping each night on my drive. This is something that has been brewing in the back of my mind for years. Each summer, I make the drive up to the Auburn, NY area to visit family. Every year, I just beat up blacktop for 11+ hours and don't really make it a journey.

I'm sharing this to get suggestions from locals or others in-the-know of what else to do, better places to ride, places to see, and places to stay along the way. I'll be camping in a tent, so state park recommendations would be appreciated. I'm looking to keep it more on the outdoors side than the city/tourist flavor.

June 28 - After work I'll be making my way from Charlotte to Wytheville, VA. I plan to ride somewhere around there and check out the Big Walker Lookout if there is time.

June 29 - Make my way to Fayetteville, WV to get near the New River Gorge Bridge. I was going to ride the New River/Coal Country Trails followed by some local exploring around the bridge/gorge. I think there is a ski-lift/tram system there as well.

June 30 - Headed to Snoe Shoe WV. Any suggestions?

July 1 - Fork in the road for me on which direction I'm going to go. I wanted to drive through Morgantown, WV to see where RacerX is located, the make my way to Pittsburgh. Thinking of riding either the S'Side Park or the Frick Park trails

July 2 - I'm either headed to the Pocono's or to ride the IMBA Epic in Ellicotville, NY.

Any suggestions? I'll be taking my D3200 every step of the way to photograph all the cool stuff I stumble into along the way. I'll post anything cool in here when I have internets.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm running off internet research and the MTB Project app to find things to do and see.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jay
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/10/2019 9:41am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 9:42am
If you stop by Fayetteville, the Arrowhead trails off gatewood Rd. offer nice rolling flowy riding that is fun. The coal country trails ride from Fayetteville to Thurmond. It's mostly old access roads and rail grade grown over into single track. Not the best riding but pretty good exploring. A good ride is exploring the Arrowhead trails then taking timber ridge trail to the town of Fayetteville, turning around and coming back up the Fayetteville trail to your car. Other than that there are outfitters if you want to try rock climbing/rappelling, rafting zip lining. The rafting companies have campgrounds as well as smaller indies and this place allows riding the trails after about a 1/4 mile of road https://arrowheadbikefarm.com/. Pies and pints is excellent in town (a little pricey but worth it) or check out The Station restaurant for traditional fare.

Other than that maybe think about staying east after snowshoe instead of going to Pittsburgh check out raystown lake in PA.
motogrady
6/10/2019 10:42am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 10:46am
I drive right past Racerx a few times a week.
Both the KTM and Honda rigs have been parked there for days.

Maybe give them a call, super nice people, who knows they might give you a tour.
I hear Davy has his 125 in the lobby or something.

Ps, if you do the Racerx thing, right down the road look up Coopers Rock Park. Hellof an observation deck/area.
Casting
6/10/2019 10:50am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 10:53am
Frick Park in Pittsburgh offers great mountain bike trails. The only tricky thing about that park is that new-comers end up riding from top to bottom, then up to the top, and straight down again, whereas as if you link up with a local it's easier to string a loop together that avoids simply going up and down, up and down.

More on Frick -- there is a whole other "side" to Frick park that is not officially maintained by the Park. Locals refer to it as the "slags" because it's built on top of old slag piles from the Steel Mills. You won't find these trails on any map, but you can see them on Strava.

Also in Pittsburgh, North Park offers the holy grail of Western PA mountain biking, a 6 mile trail called the Red/Blue/Phundstein trail. North Park also offers other mountain bike trails, probably close to 30 miles in all, plenty to explore.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3284825/rainbow-and-pfundstein-red-blu…

I'm local to this area. If you have questions let me know. I'm happy to help.

I have to leave town on July 2nd for a trip, but if you end up in Pittsburgh on the 1st and want a local to show you around Frick, I can do that.

alphado
6/10/2019 10:58am
Ellicotville, NY for sure, trails all over.

The Shop

jchek779
6/12/2019 6:01pm
I really appreciate the suggestions guys.

Arrowhead is now on the list. I think I'll camp there too. Looks like a cool area.

Casting - as I solidify my plans, I'll let you know with a PM. Still trying to finalize the trip.
clemsonsc
6/12/2019 6:05pm
Man, just 2 hours east of you in Brevard. Famous for mtn biking. They have red bull events there now.
jchek779
6/13/2019 5:23am
clemsonsc wrote:
Man, just 2 hours east of you in Brevard. Famous for mtn biking. They have red bull events there now.
Yeah I used to live in Asheville. I've been to REEB.
Kyle_McNab
6/18/2019 5:51am
Don’t forget Maryland has a lot of trails. Rosaryville, bacon ridge outside of Annapolis is fun. Also patapsco is one of the more technical trails closer to Baltimore
jchek779
6/28/2019 6:40pm
Day 1. I left Charlotte a little late due to work and only made it up to Wytheville VA in time to climb to the top of the Big Walker Lookout. It's about 125ft above the parking lot and around 3500ft elevation. The best part of the ride is feeling the tower sway at the top.

Off to Fayetteville WV manana

jchek779
6/29/2019 6:29pm
Day 2:. Early, great recommendation on going to Arrowhead. Great set of trails and it was nice to park, set up, shower, and ride all from one spot. The food is really good.
The New River Gorge and bridge are really damn impressive. I hiked out to Diamond Point overlook to find that the only thing between you and an 800ft fall is common sense. Great area to visit

Nighttrain
6/29/2019 9:48pm
That’s a great trip you have going. What type of sleeping pad do you have in the bed of your truck? I’ve looked at similar setups and always wondered it they are comfortable. Definitely drier during a rain storm, right?
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
6/29/2019 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 10:10am
I will be also following this thread. Please share more trail pics! What MTB are you using for this adventure?
jchek779
7/2/2019 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 7:07pm
Nighttrain wrote:
That’s a great trip you have going. What type of sleeping pad do you have in the bed of your truck? I’ve looked at similar setups...
That’s a great trip you have going. What type of sleeping pad do you have in the bed of your truck? I’ve looked at similar setups and always wondered it they are comfortable. Definitely drier during a rain storm, right?
I have a 400w outlet in the bed and a 400w power inverter. I simply reinflate my double thick queen air bed. It's been a little chilly in there in the morning, but it's fine. The whole set up has worked great.

" class="img-fluid" />
jchek779
7/2/2019 6:38pm
On Sunday I left the Fayetteville area and headed to Snowshoe. Not before watching the mist disappear and the big ass bridge coming into view

It was raining on the way, but Sunday afternoon turned out decent.
Snowshoe is an incredible place. The sights were incredible.
I made the mistake of not renting a downhill bike. I rode my 29er carbon hardtail xc bike.... Big mistake. There is a lot of stuff that you can get through if you let the bike roll over it. However, without a lot of rake going downhill is a recipe for going over the bars.... Twice. Then I backed it down. I have nothing to prove and the goal changed to getting out of there will all of my teeth.
Still glad I went

jchek779
7/2/2019 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 6:50pm
I spent the night near Snowshoe at the Seneca campground. Damn it gets dark at night in the woods.
On Monday I was off to Raystown Lake in PA. Thank you for this recommendation. What a beautiful area. The bike trails were loaded with speed and flow. The lake itself is gorgeous. I could have spent a few days there. My buddy from NY drove down to meet me so we rode one side of the trails on Monday and the other side this morning.

So that's that. I'm back in CNY visiting family, giving my legs 2 days off before a race in Pittsford on Thursday morning.

Thank you to all that made suggestions on where to stop. I had a lot of fun exploring new areas, staying in areas with no cell signal, and just breaking away from the day to day crap of real life.

Having that tent and bed setup in my truck made set up and tear down a 15 min job each day. It's so easy I have no reason to not take these kinds of trips more often.

jchek779
7/2/2019 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 7:02pm
This is my favorite photo from the whole trip. I spend a lot of time beating up the interstate system every day, so to have the opportunity to cruise some 2-lane at a time when no one is out there is one of my favorite things to do. This picture sums up the idea of peace to me.

" class="img-fluid" />

Post a reply to: MTBing my way from Charlotte to Upstate NY

The Latest