Lumber prices

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2021 10:19 AM

Falcon wrote:

Who cares if prices keep going up? Just print even more money so we can afford gas and lumber. Problem solved! Hell, why not ...more

Works for me. 😉

|

4/14/2021 12:06 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why aren’t you running pex instead of PVC? It’s faster to install, won’t break down or, get brittle like ...more

My plumber told me CTS or PVC. CTS was almost 4K, this was a touch over 2. It’s going to be buried 3-4ft underground so I went with PVC. Waterlines in the house will be pex.

|

4/14/2021 12:21 PM

Team Ideal wrote:

I feel your pain. Our price is a little over 20K than we expected. All from lumber. I’ve got a tip for you, if you need any ...more

Chance1216 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why aren’t you running pex instead of PVC? It’s faster to install, won’t break down or, get brittle like ...more

Team Ideal wrote:

My plumber told me CTS or PVC. CTS was almost 4K, this was a touch over 2. It’s going to be buried 3-4ft underground so I went ...more

Assuming you’re talking about Copper Tube Size pex?
1500’ of PVC underground? That a lot of joints even with 20’ lengths.

|

4/14/2021 12:46 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

2” sch 40 is the PVC going from my water meter to the house. I agree. A long way with a lot of joints even using 20’ pieces but that’s what he said the normal is around here anymore. Last time I had to run water line it was the black hdpe type. According to him they have more trouble with that than the joints.

I asked two friends who’ve built within the last couple years and both of them ran PVC too. Guess we’ll see.

|

4/14/2021 1:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2021 6:14 PM

Team Ideal wrote:

My plumber told me CTS or PVC. CTS was almost 4K, this was a touch over 2. It’s going to be buried 3-4ft underground so I went ...more

Chance1216 wrote:

Team Ideal wrote:

2” sch 40 is the PVC going from my water meter to the house. I agree. A long way with a lot of joints even using 20’ pieces ...more

Your in a different state so, I’m always curious about plumbing installations and codes in places other then Washington.
The black poly stuff is garbage. Usually, it requires a barbed fitting and hose clamps to adapt to it. It’s used here a bit but, tends to get pin holes over time. I just replaced my neighbors water service last year and it was the hdpe. The line had pin holes under the driveway. I always push for pex when possible though. PVC isn’t bad as long as the ends of the pipe get beveled and primer is used. Square edges of the pipe more or less act like a scraper and plunge the glue out of the coupling. Unfortunately, for home owners, new water services are one of the more expensive items on the plumbing scope of work list. It does sound like you got a very good price though. Here, a typical water service is anywhere between $2200-$3500 with less then 100’ of 1’ pipe coming from the meter to the first tie in point of the main under the house.

|

4/14/2021 1:30 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Your in a different state so, I’m always curious about plumbing installations and codes in places other then Washington.
The ...more

No city codes here. We’re out in bfe. Purple is water line and red is where house is going. It’s costing me $2000 to get a meter set and hooked into. Seriously thought about digging a well but decided I didn’t want the hassle if they didn’t hit a good spot. I’ve got a few friends that have to haul water if we get a long hot dry spell and I want nothing to do with that. Photo

|

4/14/2021 2:29 PM

Team Ideal wrote:

2” sch 40 is the PVC going from my water meter to the house. I agree. A long way with a lot of joints even using 20’ pieces ...more

Chance1216 wrote:

The ...more

Team Ideal wrote:

No city codes here. We’re out in bfe. Purple is water line and red is where house is going. It’s costing me $2000 to get a ...more

That’s a hell of a run!

|

4/14/2021 6:16 PM

Had to pay $72.00 USD for a sheet of exterior plywood at the Depot today. 15 years ago they were $12.00 USD at my local lumber yard. And they're expdnsive!

|

4/15/2021 4:30 AM

Was going to build a pole barn style shop this year. 36 x 48. Builder said in Jan. "Even if I could get the lumber right now, I couldn't start until November".

There is a neighborhood down the road from me that had zero houses in it 6 months ago. I use to take my road bike and ride back there, nice 1 mile loop. Drove back there the other day, 40+ homes put up from 300 to 600k.

|

4/15/2021 6:14 PM

Nairb#70 wrote:

Had to pay $72.00 USD for a sheet of exterior plywood at the Depot today. 15 years ago they were $12.00 USD at my local lumber ...more

4 sheets of 4x8 3/4" ran me just over $300 the other day at Lowes.

|

4/15/2021 11:35 PM

It’s the same down here , most are struggling to get timber products and lead times are 3 or 4 times what they used to be ,

We make timber joinery , and one product I used to buy a bit of used to be ex stock, just got an email from the company now saying no supply to at least July

|

4/16/2021 8:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2021 9:16 AM

We just dropped off our house plans at the lumber store. They said they're backed up for atleast two weeks. I will let you guys know what they say. We are pretty much being our own general contractors. We're getting an estimate to have the basement and road done too.

I have a couple projects going on right now. Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

4/16/2021 2:18 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Prices on everything are up in regards to building materials.
There’s a shortage of wood in the PNW as most wood mills are ...more

Talked with a friend who is a local builder- their contracts were now have a clause which states the cost of materials will be “market cost” the day they are ordered (like when ordering lobster) ..

|

4/16/2021 2:36 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Prices on everything are up in regards to building materials.
There’s a shortage of wood in the PNW as most wood mills are ...more

Brad460 wrote:

Talked with a friend who is a local builder- their contracts were now have a clause which states the cost of materials will be ...more

Perfect. We’ve changed a lot the wording in contracts recently. One being an “estimated” depth when doing locates. I had an issue with some underground plumbing not being at the depth I was provided. I was told the depth was 48” and, it turned out to be 36”. The issue I had was the length of the run. Requiring 1/4” per ft grade, the end of the run would’ve been out of the slab. Now, we say estimate. The machines and equipment used are not as exact as previously thought. Instead of going off the information and, moving forward, we’ll locate, and excavate to confirm depths before even starting projects. Not really a big deal but, things like this are cause for concern when doing underground and the information provided to builders isn’t what the initial claim was.
That is good information and wording for, market value at the time of purchase. Thank you.

|

4/16/2021 2:45 PM

Here in WNY lumber prices are the same as last year, high. Maybe a bit lower on some stuff and no supply issues that I've encountered. Just called on 20' x 2"x12" pressure treated and quoted $89 each and in stock.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

4/18/2021 1:22 PM

I had a contractor quote me on a building last year and he just said it's a lot more because the last quote was @ 28$ a sheet of plywood but he says it's 58 now and I should wait awhile but I said, why is it going down and he said who knows.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

4/20/2021 5:47 PM

Photo
|

5/8/2021 7:49 AM

Photo
|

5/8/2021 8:03 AM

Photo
|

5/11/2021 6:18 PM

Photo
|

5/11/2021 8:07 PM

Dirtydeeds wrote: Photo

I was cruising Craigslist looking at prices for a cord of wood. Some are wanting $300 per cord. Crazy. Looks like I’ll be busy for awhile.
Photo

|

5/12/2021 5:41 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

5/13/2021 9:24 PM

Photo
|

5/15/2021 10:35 AM

Photo
|

5/21/2021 3:10 PM

Isn’t this going to drive prices even higher ? What am I missing ?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/commerce-department-doubles-softwood-tariffs-1.6036806

|

5/21/2021 3:12 PM

Photo
|

6/4/2021 9:19 PM

Photo
|

6/5/2021 3:57 AM

Some municipalities around here are now allowing some construction with ungraded (rough sawn) lumber. In which case, know anybody with a bandsaw mill?

|

HAF

6/11/2021 1:03 PM

As a fire sprinkler contractor I get emails every week from suppliers showing prices going up. And not in small increments, like 15% each time. Re-bidding EVERYTHING.

|

6/16/2021 7:11 PM

I’m putting in a pool at my house right now in Arizona. I’m glad I signed my contract back in Oct. The plumber told me they are having a hard time getting PVC here and that the price has gone way up. They are also 200 pools behind because of the demand here. My pool was supposed to take 12-16 weeks to complete. It’s been 7 months and it still not done.

|