Lumber prices

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2021 9:15 AM

We were hoping to start building soon, but lumber prices are ridiculous. I guess it is the same reason gas prices are up. Production was cut back because of covid, but now wood and fuel demand is way up. Does anybody have any insight on when it could simmer down? I want to start building. Looks like the increase could add around $20k to the price to build. https://www.kptv.com/news/price-of-lumber-skyrocketing-as-supply-can-t-meet-demand/article_53e3103e-98ea-11eb-8d06-03341c9342aa.html

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

4/9/2021 9:40 AM

Prices on everything are up in regards to building materials.
There’s a shortage of wood in the PNW as most wood mills are not running at full capacity. Builders are having trouble sourcing lumber.

Copper pipe prices have nearly tripled. Hard to make money on a job that was bid last June.
You can’t go back to the customer and say,
“About that price I gave you”.

|

4/9/2021 9:47 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

There’s a shortage of wood in the PNW as most wood mills are ...more

Yes you can go back and tell them that the bid price will now go up, tell them you will be glad to revise the bid. We do it every day and if someone tries to hold you to a price on a older bid then believe me you don't want to do the work for them anyway.

|

Ed Johnson

4/9/2021 10:34 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

There’s a shortage of wood in the PNW as most wood mills are ...more

lostboy819 wrote:

Yes you can go back and tell them that the bid price will now go up, tell them you will be glad to revise the bid. We do it ...more

I should rephrase that. The company I work for is locked into a signed contract with the builder. The bid was given last June. Work is to begin in May. As I’m sure you know, most builders are pretty shady.

|

4/9/2021 11:25 AM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

We were hoping to start building soon, but lumber prices are ridiculous. I guess it is the same reason gas prices are up. ...more

Gas prices are up because of COVID? My fuel cost has risen 33% since January.

If we are going to call a spade, a spade...............

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

4/9/2021 11:33 AM

We were hoping to start building soon, but lumber prices are ridiculous. I guess it is the same reason gas prices are up. ...more

I've got a few friends that work for large lumber yards in our area and they believe demand will be strong through Q3 of this year, thus keeping prices up at least until then. If it doesn't kill you to wait, that may be the thing to do right now.

|

4/9/2021 11:37 AM

OG725 wrote:

If we are going to call a spade, a ...more

Yep, filled my truck up $85 glad I dont drive for a living with the cost of fuel going crazy again. It definitely hurts the bottom line.sad

|

Ed Johnson

4/9/2021 11:50 AM

Same in the UK Timber prices going up non-stop and build materials doing the same.

|

4/9/2021 11:56 AM

It's everywhere. I was looking at the posibility of finally building a place this year to get out of my current apartment, but lumber prices have gone up significantly and we can't get trusses until next year possibly even 2023 at some places. Getting floor joists is also an issue.

Last year an 8 foot 2x4 was $3.35. This year that same piece of wood is $8.39. It adds up when you add up all the lumber needed to build a house.

It's crazy. At this point I'm going to look into ICF blocks. At the end of the day, I don't think there's going to be much of a price difference when you factor in everything.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/9/2021 12:50 PM

Boxvan446 wrote:

I've got a few friends that work for large lumber yards in our area and they believe demand will be strong through Q3 of this ...more

Good to know. I've heard people say it could possibly be the new normal. I know that has to be everybody's least favorite phrase to come out of 2020. We're anxious to build. Of course it could be a little while before we are framing, but I have seen that it could add about $20k to the price to build a house.

|

Amateur helmet painter

4/9/2021 12:53 PM

OG725 wrote:

If we are going to call a spade, a ...more

I have some pretty conveniently timed pictures to show exactly what you're saying. November 2020 vs. a few days ago. Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

4/9/2021 1:29 PM

I have some pretty conveniently timed pictures to show exactly what you're saying. November 2020 vs. a few days ago. Photo

Pffft. Sheeeeit. lol.
Photo

|

4/9/2021 2:08 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Pffft. Sheeeeit. lol.
Photo

That's part of the reason why I got out of California

|

Amateur helmet painter

4/9/2021 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2021 3:41 PM

That’s near Seattle. I took that pic last week. Approaching 2008 prices.
California is just as expensive.

|

4/9/2021 4:50 PM

We are building a 36x56 garage this summer and as much as I want to wait until prices come down- I know prices never come down once they go up. Going to bite the bullet and build before prices climb anymore.

At the end of the day I wouldn’t let $20k keep you from building a new house...it’s not that much money in the grand scheme of things..plus with interest rates still low your fine..

|

4/9/2021 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2021 5:09 PM

It’s a mess! I’m paying $6-$7 for a standard crappy 2 by 4.
I am usually booked out a good 8-9 months so the remodel I’m doing right now was bid almost a year ago. I could ask for some material reimbursement but I hate doing that to a customer who already accepted my price so I’ll just suck it up and deal with it. I do most of my plumbing too so I’m getting screwed on the copper end too.

I did submit a bid for next fall with the material price increase so I’m hoping things come back down a bit before that job and maybe I’ll recoup a little of what I’m losing now. Not counting on it though. Like most things they seem to go up for a reason but end up never coming back down once that reason is no longer affecting them.

|

4/9/2021 6:11 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Pffft. Sheeeeit. lol.
Photo

Chance1216 wrote:

we are at about $2.89 for unleaded in Denver, not as bad as some places but it was under $2.00 a few times before the new year. sad

|

Ed Johnson

4/9/2021 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2021 7:31 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

we are at about $2.89 for unleaded in Denver, not as bad as some places but it was under $2.00 a few times before the new ...more

I fill my truck up every couple weeks.
Thankfully, we get rewards points from our grocery store that adds up a bit and helps. Usually knocks about a buck per gallon off. I’m not very optimistic of prices come summertime.

|

4/9/2021 10:36 PM

Prices for everything are, or will be, going up.

Printing money to pay for all the "free" shit everyone has been promised isn't "free". Economics 101.

|

4/10/2021 4:22 AM

This guy has come up on my youtube suggested movies for a while know. He works at a lumber yard and has been mentioning the price increase of lumber for many months.

|

4/10/2021 7:01 AM

I work for a siding manufacturer and we shuttered one of our plants and had scaled back the others because of the lock down. We’ve raised our prices 20% across the board and have a 10 week lead time but it’s better than our competition. A coworker is building his home and said he’s having trouble sourcing appliances for it so it’s pushed back the completion.

|

4/10/2021 8:24 AM

We're in the process of building a new office warehouse for our business, our lumber cost increased $45k. Nothing we could do about it. Just glad we ordered the steel when we did.

|

4/10/2021 1:10 PM

The duty imposed on Canadian lumber that’s shipped to the US doesn’t help either. I think Trump jacked up the percentage a few years back. I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and we are pretty much a forestry based economy. Even here where the mills are just down the road we are paying through the ass for lumber. Even loads of firewood have almost doubled in price.

|

4/10/2021 1:57 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Pffft. Sheeeeit. lol.
Photo

And why I don’t fuel at Shell stations. Always way more.

Crude prices are up compared to last November.

|

4/11/2021 2:42 AM

Moto167 wrote:

The duty imposed on Canadian lumber that’s shipped to the US doesn’t help either. I think Trump jacked up the percentage a few ...more

So the Canadians just came down here and bought up all the big lumber mills, and are squeezing us on supply.

Why increase production when the price has tripled because of demand?

|

4/12/2021 2:40 PM

Photo
|

4/12/2021 4:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2021 4:16 PM

Moto167 wrote:

The duty imposed on Canadian lumber that’s shipped to the US doesn’t help either. I think Trump jacked up the percentage a few ...more

JustMX wrote:

So the Canadians just came down here and bought up all the big lumber mills, and are squeezing us on supply.

Why increase ...more

I would agree with your assessment- if they’re not colluding outright they’re constricting supply to cover losses or just being greedy. Which hey I’m greedy too - but not $8 2x4 greedy.

|

4/14/2021 9:07 AM

I feel your pain. Our price is a little over 20K than we expected. All from lumber. I’ve got a tip for you, if you need any PVC go buy it now. It’s going up weekly now too. I’ve got to run 1500’ of water line. Got lucky and bought it at $1.28 a foot. It’s $1.69 now at most places. None of the closer Lowe’s have 2” and Menard’s only has 10’ sections and you can only by 20 per customer.

|

4/14/2021 9:24 AM

Team Ideal wrote:

I feel your pain. Our price is a little over 20K than we expected. All from lumber. I’ve got a tip for you, if you need any ...more

Out of curiosity, why aren’t you running pex instead of PVC? It’s faster to install, won’t break down or, get brittle like pvc.

|

4/14/2021 10:05 AM

AZ35 wrote:

Prices for everything are, or will be, going up.

Printing money to pay for all the "free" shit everyone has been promised ...more

Who cares if prices keep going up? Just print even more money so we can afford gas and lumber. Problem solved! Hell, why not just print out quadrillions of dollars so everyone can be a millionaire? w00t ermm

|

Braaapin' aint easy.