Love this company!

XXVoid MainXX
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2017 8:58pm
If they would only go public and let me give them some of my money!

https://youtu.be/TXYh4re0j8M
|
ohiomotoxer
11/14/2017 9:27am
it was cool till I saw that gas monkey garage sticker on the one momo......kidding
ledger
11/14/2017 11:41am
....This is Ground Control to Major Tom....
ThorsMX
11/14/2017 7:54pm
Later Void, see you in the Springs next year
mxer146
11/14/2017 10:17pm
I just started working for tesla and am a huge fan of what Elon has done. Hoping I can learn more about SpaceX as well. The things they’re doing are unbelievable. Elon’s biography goes a lot into SpaceX as well. Things you’d never think or expect to hear about.

The Shop

MR. X
11/15/2017 4:00am
I had a woman approach me via linked in about a die makers position at tesla . It was horrible pay and benefits and I would only have to move all the way across the country .
MR. X
11/15/2017 7:08am
How exactly does government subsides work? I read he has certain goals to meet in a predetermined deadline in order to keep the money coming in . So subsides don't have to be paid back as long as the business upholds their original set goals ?
MR. X
11/15/2017 8:39am
Which money coming in are you referring to?
I might not be understanding it correctly, I was under the impression that the companies were largely funded by government subsides . I figured it was a win win ,the government gets alternative energy research done by an outside contractor and the business ,space x,tesla or solar city gets jobs to stay in business. I can see tesla selling cars to make money and solar city selling solar panels to make money ,I would imagine the customer base for space travel is rather limited right now and just assumed it was government contracts keeping them funded. I would think space x would cost a large sum of money to keep going and I don't see anybody shelling out that much from their own pocket to keep it in business. Without the government's Interest ,would space x really be able to survive?
XXVoid MainXX
11/15/2017 9:26am
Yeah, I don't think what you're describing is accurate for either Tesla or for SpaceX. Certainly not the whole picture. For example, Tesla doesn't receive any government money, however there are "some" subsidies for the consumer in the form of tax credits, but that's for electric vehicles in general no matter what company the car comes from. However, I think the cap is on the first 200,000 vehicles sold by that company which Tesla is coming up on. So Tesla customers will no longer be getting any tax breaks here shortly, unless they live in California. I think California is continuing with thier own tax breaks.

The only government money that SpaceX gets that I know of is for the launches they purchase to take stuff to ISS etc, but that's certainly not a subsidy. It's the same payment any other company pays them to send up their satellites. The government is just a customer in that case. Now I DO believe they are getting some money (which I think would be considered a subsidy) to help develop a new engine they are working on. But compared to what some of the other rocket companies get it's minuscule.

That's "my" understanding of it all, but I am certainly no expert on it either. I have just read as much as I can related to both companies over the last year or so.
XXVoid MainXX
11/15/2017 9:27am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2017 9:31am
Also, Musk himself is very much in favor of doing away with all government subsidies in general. What he wants to see is a "carbon tax". The government subsidies for fossil fuels are sky high:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

A 2016 study estimated that global fossil fuel subsidies were $5.3 trillion in 2015, which represents 6.5% of global GDP.

Just get rid of fossil fuel subsidies and electric cars will sell themselves, and solar/hydro/wind will come on line at a much faster rate.
MR. X
11/15/2017 9:31am
They certainly arnt going away in near future ,I figured I would try and learn what a company like that is all about . As far as I know ,they are the first "group" to send equipment into space that wasn't a department of a government. Some really big steps in a short amount of time.
XXVoid MainXX
11/15/2017 9:44am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2017 9:49am
Well, there are a couple of others in the US. ULA (United Launch Alliance which is a team up of Lockheed and Boing) which was the government's BIG go to company for all their work, and there is also Orbital ATK, and soon there will be a couple more Blue Origin (Jeff Bezos of Amazon) and Branson is starting one up. SpaceX certainly has a lot of firsts though and they are QUICKLY taking over the market because they charge soooo much less than the others. That's good news for the tax payer because NASA and the Air Force both are going to SpaceX more and more because they're much cheaper. In fact I believe the launch tomorrow night is for the Air Force. It appears the Government will also start using used boosters which will save even more money.
XXVoid MainXX
11/15/2017 9:52am
Actually, from the earlier article I linked it's not clear which government agency owns the Satellite SpaceX is launching for them tomorrow night:

It’s not the first time that SpaceX has launched secretive payloads into orbit. After receiving certification in 2015 to launch military satellites, the company has already launched two classified payloads, and is slated to launch even more over the next couple of years. However, all of SpaceX’s missions for the military have known customers, such as the US Air Force. So far, no government office has claimed the satellite going up tomorrow. The National Reconnaissance Office, which usually announces the launches of its spy spacecraft, said that Zuma doesn’t belong to the agency.
MR. X
11/15/2017 10:27am
The part of the article that I found really interesting was that it HAS to be in orbit by November 30th, makes it that much more intriguing as to what it's for.
XXVoid MainXX
11/16/2017 6:40am
Interesting article just came out about tonight's secret flight:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/11/15/top-secret-zuma-payload-puzzles-s…

And an article just came out where the president of SpaceX does talk about some of the government support they've already received with the development of the new raptor engine, and the dragon cargo ship for deliveries to the ISS, and what they are expecting in the future with the BFR:

http://spacenews.com/spacex-expects-government-support-for-development-…
jeffro503
11/16/2017 7:29am
Being a space nut myself....very much agreed , that was awesome!
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
11/16/2017 7:32am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2017 7:37am
Yeah, I don't think what you're describing is accurate for either Tesla or for SpaceX. Certainly not the whole picture. For example, Tesla doesn't receive any...
Yeah, I don't think what you're describing is accurate for either Tesla or for SpaceX. Certainly not the whole picture. For example, Tesla doesn't receive any government money, however there are "some" subsidies for the consumer in the form of tax credits, but that's for electric vehicles in general no matter what company the car comes from. However, I think the cap is on the first 200,000 vehicles sold by that company which Tesla is coming up on. So Tesla customers will no longer be getting any tax breaks here shortly, unless they live in California. I think California is continuing with thier own tax breaks.

The only government money that SpaceX gets that I know of is for the launches they purchase to take stuff to ISS etc, but that's certainly not a subsidy. It's the same payment any other company pays them to send up their satellites. The government is just a customer in that case. Now I DO believe they are getting some money (which I think would be considered a subsidy) to help develop a new engine they are working on. But compared to what some of the other rocket companies get it's minuscule.

That's "my" understanding of it all, but I am certainly no expert on it either. I have just read as much as I can related to both companies over the last year or so.
I agree with Void. It seems Elon hasn’t been given any subsidies and he’s boldly stated it. I would imagine if that wasn’t the case someone would have outed him now. He has as many enemies as fanboys it seems.

This is a really interesting tweet with very good interaction.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/885631423306006528?s=17
XXVoid MainXX
11/16/2017 5:08pm
The SpaceX launch isn't going tonight. Holding until tomorrow night it appears.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/16/2017 5:12pm
Musk needs to focus and deliver in one segment before getting into another. The Tesla Semi will be able to travel "a few hundred miles" on a charge. I hope that's an understatement, as most semis carry around 300 gal of fuel...and get about 4 mpg. Do the math...it's more than a few hundred miles. Be great for local stuff though, just not OTR. Also I don't think the writers of the article know what a class 8 rig is. I used to work for a company that needed class 8 rigs to haul their loads...on super haulers...110 wheels or more, not 18.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/16/2017 5:14pm
Lastly, Musk should also focus on profitability...the quarterly reports are awful, and wall street eats it up. Eventually Tesla will have to pay the Piper, and it's not gonna be pretty
XXVoid MainXX
11/16/2017 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2017 5:45pm
I think they'll get closer to the profitability once the model 3 starts rolling. Yeah, there is a hitch here at the beginning but I'm not worried. I would have no problem investing even more money in them right now (if I had some extra burning a hole in my pocket). Regarding the truck, yeah it seems to me it certainly wouldn't be suited for long haul at least at this stage, but that doesn't mean it can't be a viable short haul truck. Be interesting to see what comes out tonight. I have a buddy who drives those trucks with those massive loads (he's hauled several loads over a million pounds).
XXVoid MainXX
11/16/2017 9:03pm
Holy moly, what a presentation! The trucks were actually pretty awesome, way better than anything discussed in the media. AND that new roadster is just unreal!

Post a reply to: Love this company!

The Latest