Looks like Mayor Daley thinks he's above the law.

jmar
Edited Date/Time 1/18/2012 7:31am
When his term ends, so will his political career.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100701/ap_on_re_us/us_chicago_gun_ban
|
500guy
7/3/2010 8:02am
Has there ever been a public official from Chicago that wasn't corrupt ?
kaw rider9
7/3/2010 8:11am
That guy is a whack job!!

I'm glad I live down state, where guns are the norm!!

I think I'll go fire off a few rounds in Mayor Daley's honor...
jmar
7/3/2010 8:19am
500guy wrote:
I really think that he shot his wad with this one. There is no way this guy will ever get re-elected.
fcr
7/3/2010 8:45am
The Supreme court ruling allows some form of local control, I am not sure how it reads and applies, but I read something to that effect. I was surprised at the immediate Chicago ordinance.

The Shop

500guy
7/3/2010 8:49am
Sounds like it's time to scrap the pistol and grab a nice shot gun.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
7/3/2010 3:47pm
I think I am above the law also.. Because, no matter what law is ever passed. I will ALWAYS Have a gun in my house!
Void Main
7/3/2010 4:05pm
I am above the law as well because no matter what they set for a speed limit I will always go at least 10mph faster than that, 20mph if I'm on the bike, 50mph if I'm on the bike in a corner.
indy_maico
7/3/2010 4:15pm
500guy wrote:
jmar wrote:
I really think that he shot his wad with this one. There is no way this guy will ever get re-elected.
"When his term ends, so will his political career."

You guys are out of touch with what goes on in Chicago. Cook County is VERY liberal.

If anything, this will HELP his re-election chances.

And, 500guy, what exactly does this have to do with corruption?
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
7/3/2010 4:23pm
Void Main wrote:
I am above the law as well because no matter what they set for a speed limit I will always go at least 10mph faster than...
I am above the law as well because no matter what they set for a speed limit I will always go at least 10mph faster than that, 20mph if I'm on the bike, 50mph if I'm on the bike in a corner.
Ohh yah... I ride in closed areas. And piss in the bushes.
Frogman
7/3/2010 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2010 6:38pm
indy_maico wrote:
[i]"When his term ends, so will his political career."[/i] You guys are out of touch with what goes on in Chicago. Cook County is VERY liberal...

You guys are out of touch with what goes on in Chicago. Cook County is VERY liberal.

Doing everything you can to infringe people's rights when it is clearly written not to do so is pretty corrupt.
jmar
7/3/2010 6:42pm
500guy wrote:
jmar wrote:
indy_maico wrote:
[i]"When his term ends, so will his political career."[/i] You guys are out of touch with what goes on in Chicago. Cook County is VERY liberal...

Daley is on the NRA and others, hit list. The guy is toast and it's well deserved.

Frogman
7/3/2010 6:57pm
Who says "doing everything" is all above board?

You might want to do some of your research on this one.
jmar
7/3/2010 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2010 7:13pm
And it's going to cost him his political career.

He thinks he's above the supreme court and their decision.
Spinner
7/3/2010 11:00pm
(AP) -- The Chicago, Illinois, City Council in a 45-0 vote approved a new gun ordinance Friday, four days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the city's 28-year-old strict ban on handgun ownership was unconstitutional.

Among other details, the ordinance allows only one operable firearm per household, meaning all other guns would need to have gun locks or be in locked cases. It also requires owners to have a state firearms permit, to register weapons with Chicago police and to take four hours of classroom training and one hour of firing range training.

The plan also bans assault weapons and gun shops in the city.

The June 28 Supreme Court ruling overturned the city's previous handgun ban.

"Although the ruling wasn't what we had hoped for, it was what we expected," said Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. "That's why for the last several months we've been preparing the reasonable and responsible ordinance to regulate handguns in the home that the council approved today. ...

"Either we enact new and reasonable handgun laws in Chicago to protect our residents -- as the council has done -- or we do nothing and risk greater gun violence in our streets and in our homes," he said.

A 5-4 conservative majority of justices on Monday reiterated its 2-year-old conclusion that the Constitution gives individuals equal or greater power than states on the issue of possession of certain firearms for self-protection.

"It cannot be doubted that the right to bear arms was regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as states legislated in an evenhanded manner," wrote Justice Samuel Alito.

The court grounded that right in the due process section of the 14th Amendment. The justices, however, said local jurisdictions still retain the flexibility to preserve some "reasonable" gun-control measures currently in place nationwide.
flarider
7/4/2010 6:11am
Spinner wrote:
(AP) -- The Chicago, Illinois, City Council in a 45-0 vote approved a new gun ordinance Friday, four days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that...
(AP) -- The Chicago, Illinois, City Council in a 45-0 vote approved a new gun ordinance Friday, four days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the city's 28-year-old strict ban on handgun ownership was unconstitutional.

Among other details, the ordinance allows only one operable firearm per household, meaning all other guns would need to have gun locks or be in locked cases. It also requires owners to have a state firearms permit, to register weapons with Chicago police and to take four hours of classroom training and one hour of firing range training.

The plan also bans assault weapons and gun shops in the city.

The June 28 Supreme Court ruling overturned the city's previous handgun ban.

"Although the ruling wasn't what we had hoped for, it was what we expected," said Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. "That's why for the last several months we've been preparing the reasonable and responsible ordinance to regulate handguns in the home that the council approved today. ...

"Either we enact new and reasonable handgun laws in Chicago to protect our residents -- as the council has done -- or we do nothing and risk greater gun violence in our streets and in our homes," he said.

A 5-4 conservative majority of justices on Monday reiterated its 2-year-old conclusion that the Constitution gives individuals equal or greater power than states on the issue of possession of certain firearms for self-protection.

"It cannot be doubted that the right to bear arms was regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as states legislated in an evenhanded manner," wrote Justice Samuel Alito.

The court grounded that right in the due process section of the 14th Amendment. The justices, however, said local jurisdictions still retain the flexibility to preserve some "reasonable" gun-control measures currently in place nationwide.
That last paragraph was his key to the door

indy_maico
7/4/2010 9:33am
I guess neither Daly nor the 45 councilmen that approved it are too worried about their political careers.

Like I said, you don't know Chicago if you think this will be a bad thing for the mayor.
uk125250
7/4/2010 12:05pm
500guy wrote:
Uh oh.
flarider
7/4/2010 6:38pm
Never been to Miami during an election, huh?
Phlapjax
7/5/2010 9:55am
flarider wrote:
Never been to Miami during an election, huh?
Are you saying that Miami has more dead people voting than Chicago does?
flarider
7/5/2010 10:16am
Possibly, but that is not what you said.

You said "Besides Illinois is the only state in which the dead can vote.", to which I replied stating that dead people also vote in Miami

Now, unless you want to attempt to convince me and everyone that Miami is really in Illinois, and not Florida, I suggest you just let it go and let a humorous quip be
TeamGreen
7/5/2010 3:28pm
So, the GUNS are the problem?

Oh, O.K.

'round these parts...folks CARRY guns on a pretty regular basis.

Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Huh?
Oldschool
7/5/2010 7:03pm
He was pretty funny when they overturned the assault weapons ban..
"O.K., great, let's just give everyone in Chicago an assault rifle and let them be the law,
Why not....great...fine"...

Post a reply to: Looks like Mayor Daley thinks he's above the law.

The Latest