Looking for new truck

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2017 6:10pm
I'm done with my stupid car, ready to get back in a truck/van for DD use. I'd like to get the Ford transit connect van but it only comes with an auto. I want a stick. Manual trans leaves me with the Chevy colorado, and nissan frontier. I refuse to buy a yota. Looking for a base model, 4cyl, 2wd. The frontier is 18K and base models actually exist. However its supposed to be all new for 2019, and Im not a fan of frontiers. They feel like a boat, and the interior is beyond cheap. I haven't driven a colorado, but the price is a little much, and nobody has a base model around here. I'll be driving FAR to get one. Any opinions? Anyone know if big deals are coming for black friday/end of year? The frontier is old, anyone breaking 25mpg with the 4cyl? I could get a used ranger and do 30mpg with the 4 banger. Any insiders know the exact date the new ranger will be released?
|
newmann
11/18/2017 3:42pm
No love for the Tacoma? You hate good resale value I guess?Wink

Never seen a Frontier hold good resale but you can get pretty good deals on them versus the Yota.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/18/2017 3:46pm
newmann wrote:
No love for the Tacoma? You hate good resale value I guess?;) Never seen a Frontier hold good resale but you can get pretty good deals...

Never seen a Frontier hold good resale but you can get pretty good deals on them versus the Yota.
I hate all toyotas, grear trucks for other people but I won't buy one. Rusty, over priced, pain in the asses to me. I won't even work on them anymore Grinning just can't fix anything on them quickly, and throw in the premium price for the trucks and parts. Can't do it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/18/2017 4:17pm
The base model colorado's don't come with a full size spare Pinch what kinda pick up truck is it acceptable to put a mini tire on it???? Might as well buy a Ridgeline
newmann
11/18/2017 4:26pm
newmann wrote:
No love for the Tacoma? You hate good resale value I guess?;) Never seen a Frontier hold good resale but you can get pretty good deals...

colintrax wrote:
I hate all toyotas, grear trucks for other people but I won't buy one. Rusty, over priced, pain in the asses to me. I won't even...
I hate all toyotas, grear trucks for other people but I won't buy one. Rusty, over priced, pain in the asses to me. I won't even work on them anymore Grinning just can't fix anything on them quickly, and throw in the premium price for the trucks and parts. Can't do it.
We got 5 years and 80,000 miles out of our 2002 Tacoma before an uninsured taxi ran a red light at 60 mph and totaled it out. No rust and nothing other than routine maintenance up to that point. Bought it new for 23k and insurance gave us $17,900.00 for it. Always a breeze working on a yota, so simple you can take 90 % of it apart with a Phillips and a 10mm.

Such a good vehicle we didn’t hesitate to replace it with another Tacoma. Now ten years old and only a single u joint other than routine maintenance. No rust on this one either.

Back in 2001 we got stuck with a standard cab swb 5 spd Frontier at work so I cleaned it up and did a few repairs and gave it to the oldest son for a first vehicle. In 202 the wife decided we would upgrade it to a new crew cab long bed Frontier. We found a Houston dealer who had a bunch in stock and was pricing them right. We loaded up and headed out on the 100 mile trek in the Nissan. When we were to take the exit for the dealer just south of Houston the wife keeps telling me to get over or I will miss the exit. I didn’t get over... just kept heading south to Alvin and the Toyota Dealer that sponsored our racing series. After 100 miles in that POS Nissan, no way was I going to buy another. I could barely walk when I got out of it at the dealer. What a turd. Oh, and those repairs I made before giving it to the son? Brakes on all four wheels and a clutch replacement and it only had 59,000 miles on it.

The Shop

TXDirt
11/18/2017 5:15pm
Tacoma or Tundra all day.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/18/2017 5:38pm
newmann wrote:
We got 5 years and 80,000 miles out of our 2002 Tacoma before an uninsured taxi ran a red light at 60 mph and totaled it...
We got 5 years and 80,000 miles out of our 2002 Tacoma before an uninsured taxi ran a red light at 60 mph and totaled it out. No rust and nothing other than routine maintenance up to that point. Bought it new for 23k and insurance gave us $17,900.00 for it. Always a breeze working on a yota, so simple you can take 90 % of it apart with a Phillips and a 10mm.

Such a good vehicle we didn’t hesitate to replace it with another Tacoma. Now ten years old and only a single u joint other than routine maintenance. No rust on this one either.

Back in 2001 we got stuck with a standard cab swb 5 spd Frontier at work so I cleaned it up and did a few repairs and gave it to the oldest son for a first vehicle. In 202 the wife decided we would upgrade it to a new crew cab long bed Frontier. We found a Houston dealer who had a bunch in stock and was pricing them right. We loaded up and headed out on the 100 mile trek in the Nissan. When we were to take the exit for the dealer just south of Houston the wife keeps telling me to get over or I will miss the exit. I didn’t get over... just kept heading south to Alvin and the Toyota Dealer that sponsored our racing series. After 100 miles in that POS Nissan, no way was I going to buy another. I could barely walk when I got out of it at the dealer. What a turd. Oh, and those repairs I made before giving it to the son? Brakes on all four wheels and a clutch replacement and it only had 59,000 miles on it.
I won't deny Toyotas are damn good trucks, like I said they're good for other people. But I can't work on them to save my life, nothing is where I expect it, proportions never feel right, Toyotas just feel wrong. Both in the engine bay and behind the wheel.
That said I've never seen a Toyota without excessive rust. Here in the south we don't get cancerous car killing rust, but Toyotas always got surface rust and parts rusted together. Brakes, alternators, everything. Bolts rust and become a real pain in the ass to break lose. I fucking hate working on them.

I think I'm passing on the frontier, poor gas mileage and a new design coming is going to kill resale on a truck I know I'm not going to enjoy. Besides I'm rough on my vehicles, and I know the Nissans don't stand up to abuse well. If I'm going to hate it, might as well get the Tacoma right? LOL

This dealer has a couple 2017 Colorados. But fuck are they expensive. I owe about 7K on my car right now, trade in is something like 3 or 4k. Private party sell is 6500. I'm hoping to find something that's already a good deal, and just ask they pay off my car if I pay the asking price on the truck. Probably going to go down there tomorrow and see what they'll do. http://www.mybufordchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Colorado…
TXDirt
11/18/2017 5:40pm
Chevy Colorado over a Toyota? Are you smoking that kush??? Sideways
mxb2
11/18/2017 5:49pm
TXDirt wrote:
Chevy Colorado over a Toyota? Are you smoking that kush??? Sideways
X2, get what ya pay for.
newmann
11/18/2017 7:15pm
I have a customer who bought a new Colorado that had a dealer installed lift and big tire package. She got all kinds of stupid when she saw it on the lot. Good looking little truck but damn she spent 45 grand on it.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/18/2017 7:23pm
newmann wrote:
I have a customer who bought a new Colorado that had a dealer installed lift and big tire package. She got all kinds of stupid when...
I have a customer who bought a new Colorado that had a dealer installed lift and big tire package. She got all kinds of stupid when she saw it on the lot. Good looking little truck but damn she spent 45 grand on it.

Yeah Chevy is banking on these things. The Tacoma was antiquated till 2016 revamp, the Frontier has been outdated, and the Ranger is gone. Strong market for midsized trucks, and little competition.
Did she have the zr2? Theyre pretty damn cool albeit very pricey.
Mr. G
11/19/2017 2:57am
Toyota is at the top as far as quality. Nothing comes close. If they only made a 3/4 ton I would be there. I have a 1999 F250 which has been really reliable. Super durable. My 2009 Chevy 2500 not so much. LS motors are good but the rest is weak. Did a brake job on both and the Ford was like working on a train. Parts are much bigger.
MR. X
11/19/2017 5:24am
My new truck will be an old truck , I'm gonna find a southern Chevy in the 88-94 era and have it shipped up. They might be down on power compared to the newer vehicles but in my opinion, those were the best trucks ever made . Super simple with no electronic bullshit . The perfect mix of new/old technology.
newmann
11/19/2017 5:58am
Mr. G wrote:
Toyota is at the top as far as quality. Nothing comes close. If they only made a 3/4 ton I would be there. I have a...
Toyota is at the top as far as quality. Nothing comes close. If they only made a 3/4 ton I would be there. I have a 1999 F250 which has been really reliable. Super durable. My 2009 Chevy 2500 not so much. LS motors are good but the rest is weak. Did a brake job on both and the Ford was like working on a train. Parts are much bigger.
Mr. G and Mr, X, you both ae cracking me up with the old truck shit. When the water came up in our neighborhood, I left behind a new 17 model Audi Q7 and 17 TuRD Pro Tundra to flood and we all left in my 2001 F250 with nearly a quarter million miles on the clock. Love that truck.Smile
JM485
11/19/2017 8:33am
For Moro stuff I'd definitely recommend a van, but I hear you on it being BS they don't offer a manual trans in any of them. I just bought a sprinter and that's really my only complaint, I need the manual trans to feel like I'm in control and the car isn't driving me. I still have my old Toyota pickup though, so I drive that around town for fun and get my manual fix in. 240k+ and still ticking along (yes, they all tick)Whistling
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/19/2017 9:03am
JM485 wrote:
For Moro stuff I'd definitely recommend a van, but I hear you on it being BS they don't offer a manual trans in any of them...
For Moro stuff I'd definitely recommend a van, but I hear you on it being BS they don't offer a manual trans in any of them. I just bought a sprinter and that's really my only complaint, I need the manual trans to feel like I'm in control and the car isn't driving me. I still have my old Toyota pickup though, so I drive that around town for fun and get my manual fix in. 240k+ and still ticking along (yes, they all tick)Whistling
Totally, best thing about the van is you can lock everything inside safe from rain and sticky fingers. Besides people like to use other people's pickups as a trash can Pinch

I found a dealer in Florida selling the base model with an auto for 17k. Def going to use that as leverage for getting less. Gonna offer 20K out the door, willing to do 21K if they do a spray in liner.
Anyways fixing to leave, I'll update when I get home.
newmann
11/19/2017 9:12am
You would pay an extra thousand for a $375.00 spray in bed liner? How did you end up so far upside down in your car? Being that it is financed I am guessing that means you have full coverage insurance and gap coverage. Sure would be a shame if you totaled it out on the way to trade it in.Laughing
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/19/2017 4:57pm
They appraised my car at 3k, 500 less than kbb. Then told me 30k out the door, with something like 9% interest lol needless to say I didn't buy a truck. I think it was in a fender bender anyways
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/19/2017 7:33pm
I’m in CA but was in MA for 30 years, in the north east most toyotas were rust buckets.
Mr. G
11/20/2017 3:56pm
Paid $1600 for this 99 F250. 170K miles and only repair was an air control valve. It's my back up truck and it's bare bones but keeps on going.

MR. X
11/20/2017 4:33pm
seth505 wrote:
I’m in CA but was in MA for 30 years, in the north east most toyotas were rust buckets.
not a toyota fan myself , to be fair , all brands are rust buckets in the north east.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/20/2017 6:08pm
Mr. G wrote:
Paid $1600 for this 99 F250. 170K miles and only repair was an air control valve. It's my back up truck and it's bare bones but...
Paid $1600 for this 99 F250. 170K miles and only repair was an air control valve. It's my back up truck and it's bare bones but keeps on going.

Lol I've got a 97 explorer outfitted for camping. But with big tires, dual batteries, winch, etc it only gets 18mpg or so. Besides it tends to be muddy and rides like shit. A nice driving to work car is good. Err truck Smile
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/20/2017 6:10pm
seth505 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
not a toyota fan myself , to be fair , all brands are rust buckets in the north east.
The new England area kills all vehicles, but there's a reason Toyota is only the top selling car in the southern states. The rust belt is dominated by Ford and Chevy and for a reason.
MR. X
11/20/2017 6:42pm
seth505 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
colintrax wrote:
The new England area kills all vehicles, but there's a reason Toyota is only the top selling car in the southern states. The rust belt is...
The new England area kills all vehicles, but there's a reason Toyota is only the top selling car in the southern states. The rust belt is dominated by Ford and Chevy and for a reason.
My brother in law is still waiting to get his frame swapped out through the toyota recall deal
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/20/2017 8:22pm
MR. X wrote:
My brother in law is still waiting to get his frame swapped out through the toyota recall deal
Damn, wasn't that years ago??
MR. X
11/21/2017 2:46am
colintrax wrote:
Damn, wasn't that years ago??
I guess the problem is they don't have enough frames to go around.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/21/2017 7:27am
seth505 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
Ya, you are correct but some are definitely worse overall. I just traded in a 2004 Ram that was in New England winters for a decade and it only had bubbles starting on the bottom of the passenger front door and a small bubble on the rear bed (behind rear axle where tire flings shit up).
Rhino
11/21/2017 8:38am
Mr. G wrote:
Toyota is at the top as far as quality. Nothing comes close. If they only made a 3/4 ton I would be there. I have a...
newmann wrote:
Mr. G and Mr, X, you both ae cracking me up with the old truck shit. When the water came up in our neighborhood, I left...
Mr. G and Mr, X, you both ae cracking me up with the old truck shit. When the water came up in our neighborhood, I left behind a new 17 model Audi Q7 and 17 TuRD Pro Tundra to flood and we all left in my 2001 F250 with nearly a quarter million miles on the clock. Love that truck.Smile
Because 7.3? That's reason enough right there.
Mr. G
11/21/2017 4:55pm
5.4. Oh how I wish it were a 7.3. I had a 6.0 but it was a lemon.
SEE ARE125
11/21/2017 8:21pm
Mr. G wrote:
5.4. Oh how I wish it were a 7.3. I had a 6.0 but it was a lemon.
All 6.0s were lemons. Laughing
yz763
11/22/2017 12:23pm
I am pretty partial to Toyotas. I am on my second Tacoma and it is great! The transmission could use a little work but I love this truck! I shopped for over a year before I made the decision on this truck and it came down to the diesel Colorado and the Tacoma. I couldn't help but think that in 4 years it will still be a chevy and I won't be able to give the thing away just like all of my previous GM vehicles. The coolest thing GM had going for them in my book was Apple Car Play.
My 2008 Trialblazer SS....let me tell you about a rust bucket. Suspension that wore out in less than 100K miles, brakes that won't stop warping and a ride that leaves little to be desired. The first time I drove my third gen taco I said, "this thing rides like a Merce.......Lexus." Then I thought, "It is a Lexus."

Post a reply to: Looking for new truck

The Latest