Lex and Rick Rubin on Hurt …

lestat
|
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
4/10/2022 4:53pm
I believe Johnny made this song his. I had to listen to Johnny as a child because my dad loved him. I hate country but do love Johnny Cash. It is my favorite music video ever.
borg
4/10/2022 6:20pm
Don't watch a lot of Lex but he and I share at least one musical vice, Tom Waits. His older songs are mostly stories too.
Cue up Kentucky Avenue sometime. As far as Hurt goes, the lyrics could probably apply to millions of people. Cash gave the song huge exposure which might even have contributed to significant cross genre appreciation. A good thing in my opinion.
Chappa
4/12/2022 3:42am
I don't usually get too deep and meaningful with music. It is usually noise in the background. This version made me pay attention and question my mortality. I had heard 9 inch version years ago and didn't give it a second thought. After the Johnny Cash version, I researched the history and listened to Trent explain what it means to him and why he wrote it.

Both Trent's and Johnny's versions give me the chills now. One of my favourites, and after a crap day my neighbour or the people in the car next to me listen to it as well.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
4/17/2022 6:12pm
Johnny's voice just gave every word he sang a lot of weight, I remember an interview with Chris Cornell where he said after Johnny Cash covered Rusty Cage, a lot of his friends suddenly started complementing him on the lyrics, because they got driven home harder with Johnny's voice, just commanding you to listen to the words.

The Shop

jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
4/18/2022 7:43am
That is such a heavy song,I find you really question your life when listening.
HD1200
4/18/2022 10:12am
Was this not originally a NIN song? I know Johnny Cash also made a version.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
4/18/2022 10:40am
HD1200 wrote:
Was this not originally a NIN song? I know Johnny Cash also made a version.
Yes. Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails wrote and performed the song.

dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
4/18/2022 5:52pm
borg wrote:
Don't watch a lot of Lex but he and I share at least one musical vice, Tom Waits. His older songs are mostly stories too. Cue...
Don't watch a lot of Lex but he and I share at least one musical vice, Tom Waits. His older songs are mostly stories too.
Cue up Kentucky Avenue sometime. As far as Hurt goes, the lyrics could probably apply to millions of people. Cash gave the song huge exposure which might even have contributed to significant cross genre appreciation. A good thing in my opinion.
Omg...that one Tom waits song where he burned his house down sat across the street laughing drinking mickey s big mouths....lol
borg
4/18/2022 6:41pm
borg wrote:
Don't watch a lot of Lex but he and I share at least one musical vice, Tom Waits. His older songs are mostly stories too. Cue...
dsmith wrote:
Omg...that one Tom waits song where he burned his house down sat across the street laughing drinking mickey s big mouths....lol
What's the name of the song?
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
4/18/2022 7:06pm
borg wrote:
dsmith wrote:
borg wrote:
What's the name of the song?
Had to search for it..." Frank's wild years"
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/19/2022 7:58am
Great song. Saw NIN perform it a few times. Super simple to play at just 3 chords but such a powerful song.

Post a reply to: Lex and Rick Rubin on Hurt …

The Latest