Leonardo DiCaprios' " Before The Flood. "

Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 3:08am
I'm not going to get into specific politics on this issue, or my personal beliefs. But this is well worth anyone's time if you care about the well being of our planet and vitality of life, in all forms. Incredibly well made and informative. Hope you guys enjoy.

https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M
|
11/4/2016 4:08am
I will watch it tonight and i'll let you know what i think of it.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
11/4/2016 5:29am
I'll have to check it out..too bad it involves another Hollywood hypocrite..
freeh
11/4/2016 5:57am
I enjoy a good comedy as much as the next person, but I won't be tuning in for this one.

The Shop

SCR
11/4/2016 10:39am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 10:51am
Watched it. I started reading and watching everything that comes along about global warming for the last 10 years or so. I was going to post a whole thing about the problems with all the so called science and all the crony capitalism that is coming to light but I wont.

But, you would think that if these guys can control world temperatures, prevent sea level rises, and save the glaciers from melting with simple regulation and a cap and trade scheme. Then cant they do the job they are actually supposed to be doing. Like hold financial institutes responsible for crimes when they steal money and ruin the economy? Or come up with a plan to deal with 20 trillion debt ? How about doing something about the madness of spending in every Govt agency ? I think the answer is that there is a huge financial benefit to be had behind the global warming push for a lot of powerful people. But no financial benefit in fixing the other problems.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/4/2016 10:56am
In fact, for many there is a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and the existing problems.
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/4/2016 11:04am
Important documentary. I watched it yesterday.
Dtat720
11/4/2016 11:46am
Extremely important to several that global warming gains steam. Carbon tax credit market is owned by Al Gore and a few other politicians and millionaires. If you think its about the environment, you are sadly mistaken. It is 100% about the dollar. Nothing else.
SCR
11/4/2016 12:10pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Extremely important to several that global warming gains steam. Carbon tax credit market is owned by Al Gore and a few other politicians and millionaires. If...
Extremely important to several that global warming gains steam. Carbon tax credit market is owned by Al Gore and a few other politicians and millionaires. If you think its about the environment, you are sadly mistaken. It is 100% about the dollar. Nothing else.
Theres a guy named Tom Steyer here in CA, made billions with his hedge funds in gas and oil. I've been reading about what he's up to for a few years. Apparently he reformed his was dumped oil and gas and is the new clima te change champion. Spending his fortune to buy democrat seats around the country in exchange to push regulation that will make him and a bunch of we'll connected people including Obama very wealthy by way of all his new geenhouse energy investments and carbon trading.
It's crazy all of the coordinating and alignment these guys are orchestrating with goveners, state legislators, and federal agencies.
I'm hearing of financial damage similar to enron or another derivative disaster like 08 ? What do you think ?
Dtat720
11/4/2016 12:30pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Extremely important to several that global warming gains steam. Carbon tax credit market is owned by Al Gore and a few other politicians and millionaires. If...
SCR wrote:
Theres a guy named Tom Steyer here in CA, made billions with his hedge funds in gas and oil. I've been reading about what he's up...
Theres a guy named Tom Steyer here in CA, made billions with his hedge funds in gas and oil. I've been reading about what he's up to for a few years. Apparently he reformed his was dumped oil and gas and is the new clima te change champion. Spending his fortune to buy democrat seats around the country in exchange to push regulation that will make him and a bunch of we'll connected people including Obama very wealthy by way of all his new geenhouse energy investments and carbon trading.
It's crazy all of the coordinating and alignment these guys are orchestrating with goveners, state legislators, and federal agencies.
I'm hearing of financial damage similar to enron or another derivative disaster like 08 ? What do you think ?
His 100mil donation the the DNC in 12 was on the promise Keystone XL pipeline would be blocked.... he hasnt left oil and gas, just shifted his focus of investment to his railroad. With Keystone, his rail company loses billions in transporting oil and gas.
Titan1
11/4/2016 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 1:03pm
The climate is going to do whatever its going to do...humans are along for the ride, not controlling it.

Ice Ages have started and ended long before humans were here...and there will be another one, that could very well-and likely will-wipe out the human race. No amount of government regulation, or taxes will prevent it.

We should take care of the planet for the same reason we take care of our yards...so we can enjoy where we live...not because we are so arrogant as to believe we can "save the planet" (this is real life, not a frikkin' Hollywood movie).
SCR
11/4/2016 1:06pm
Dtat720 wrote:
SCR wrote:
Theres a guy named Tom Steyer here in CA, made billions with his hedge funds in gas and oil. I've been reading about what he's up...
Dtat720 wrote:
His 100mil donation the the DNC in 12 was on the promise Keystone XL pipeline would be blocked.... he hasnt left oil and gas, just shifted...
His 100mil donation the the DNC in 12 was on the promise Keystone XL pipeline would be blocked.... he hasnt left oil and gas, just shifted his focus of investment to his railroad. With Keystone, his rail company loses billions in transporting oil and gas.
Yes. did read about him being involved in blocking Keystone because he had competing interests.
IWreckALot
11/4/2016 1:06pm
Titan1 wrote:
The climate is going to do whatever its going to do...humans are along for the ride, not controlling it. Ice Ages have started and ended long...
The climate is going to do whatever its going to do...humans are along for the ride, not controlling it.

Ice Ages have started and ended long before humans were here...and there will be another one, that could very well-and likely will-wipe out the human race. No amount of government regulation, or taxes will prevent it.

We should take care of the planet for the same reason we take care of our yards...so we can enjoy where we live...not because we are so arrogant as to believe we can "save the planet" (this is real life, not a frikkin' Hollywood movie).
Leo is a good actor. . . a scientist he is not. He's bought into the scheme though.

US is already a clean environment. . . if they're hell bent on focusing efforts somewhere, go to China. They have hundreds times worse the air pollution that we have in the US. Tax credits are bullshit.
Dtat720
11/4/2016 1:23pm
SCR wrote:
Dtat720 wrote:
His 100mil donation the the DNC in 12 was on the promise Keystone XL pipeline would be blocked.... he hasnt left oil and gas, just shifted...
SCR wrote:
Yes. did read about him being involved in blocking Keystone because he had competing interests.
I find it humorous that he is "climate conscious" about the big bad pipeline possibly polluting, meanwhile he owns a rail company running diesel engines 24-7-365 all across north america....
JW381
11/4/2016 2:12pm
Titan1 wrote:
The climate is going to do whatever its going to do...humans are along for the ride, not controlling it. Ice Ages have started and ended long...

IWreckALot wrote:
Leo is a good actor. . . a scientist he is not. He's bought into the scheme though. US is already a clean environment. ....
Leo is a good actor. . . a scientist he is not. He's bought into the scheme though.

US is already a clean environment. . . if they're hell bent on focusing efforts somewhere, go to China. They have hundreds times worse the air pollution that we have in the US. Tax credits are bullshit.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have read that the US is still a larger polluter. Not necessarily from emissions alone, but from all the garbage and consumption. I really don't have a dog in this fight, I could see it either way since it's obviously about money. I was just intrigued to read that the US is still a larger polluter than China.

Take it for what you will.
Titan1
11/4/2016 2:30pm
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
Leo is a good actor. . . a scientist he is not. He's bought into the scheme though. US is already a clean environment. ....

JW381 wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have read that the US is still a larger polluter. Not necessarily from emissions alone, but from all the...
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have read that the US is still a larger polluter. Not necessarily from emissions alone, but from all the garbage and consumption. I really don't have a dog in this fight, I could see it either way since it's obviously about money. I was just intrigued to read that the US is still a larger polluter than China.

Take it for what you will.
How do those per capita numbers look compared to other industrialized countries? (I'm just curious)
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/4/2016 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 3:01pm
Titan1 wrote:

"A common misunderstanding of the climate system characterizes it like a pendulum. The planet will warm up to "cancel out" a previous period of cooling, spurred by some internal equilibrium. This view of the climate is incorrect. Internal variability will move energy between the ocean and the atmosphere, causing short-term warming and cooling of the surface in events such as El Nino and La Nina, and longer-term changes when similar cycles operate on decadal scales. However, internal forces do not cause climate change. Appreciable changes in climate are the result of changes in the energy balance of the Earth, which requires "external" forcings, such as changes in solar output, albedo, and atmospheric greenhouse gases. These forcings can be cyclical, as they are in the ice ages, but they can come in different shapes entirely.

For this reason, "it's just a natural cycle" is a bit of a cop-out argument. The Earth doesn't warm up because it feels like it. It warms up because something forces it to. Scientists keep track of natural forcings, but the observed warming of the planet over the second half of the 20th century can only be explained by adding in anthropogenic radiative forcings, namely increases in greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

Of course, it's always possible that some natural cycle exists, unknown to scientists and their instruments, that is currently causing the planet to warm. There's always a chance that we could be totally wrong. This omnipresent fact of science is called irreducible uncertainty, because it can never be entirely eliminated. However, it's very unlikely that such a cycle exists."
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/4/2016 2:55pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Tinfoil hat much?
11/4/2016 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 3:40pm
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

Your city has some of the worst air quality in the country,

Reality must not be your thing I take it?

Like, actuality, things that really exist? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. Between the beef industry, transportation and industrial production we're the 2nd leading polluter in the world.

Factually.

Scientifically proven.

Reality is a bitch...

There really is a market in this all, an opportunity for taxes to be raised and commercial benefit on creating the green industry and all that goes with it, but nothing gets past the bottom line. Human influence and activity is changing the world we live in today for the worse, and it's having very real effects already ( as of 30 or so years ago. ) on the world we live in and we're seeing the undeniable effects in several places across the globe that are changing the way of life, viability of life and even displacing people from their homes.
SCR
11/4/2016 3:45pm
Titan1 wrote:

sende wrote:
"A common misunderstanding of the climate system characterizes it like a pendulum. The planet will warm up to "cancel out" a previous period of cooling, spurred...
"A common misunderstanding of the climate system characterizes it like a pendulum. The planet will warm up to "cancel out" a previous period of cooling, spurred by some internal equilibrium. This view of the climate is incorrect. Internal variability will move energy between the ocean and the atmosphere, causing short-term warming and cooling of the surface in events such as El Nino and La Nina, and longer-term changes when similar cycles operate on decadal scales. However, internal forces do not cause climate change. Appreciable changes in climate are the result of changes in the energy balance of the Earth, which requires "external" forcings, such as changes in solar output, albedo, and atmospheric greenhouse gases. These forcings can be cyclical, as they are in the ice ages, but they can come in different shapes entirely.

For this reason, "it's just a natural cycle" is a bit of a cop-out argument. The Earth doesn't warm up because it feels like it. It warms up because something forces it to. Scientists keep track of natural forcings, but the observed warming of the planet over the second half of the 20th century can only be explained by adding in anthropogenic radiative forcings, namely increases in greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide.

Of course, it's always possible that some natural cycle exists, unknown to scientists and their instruments, that is currently causing the planet to warm. There's always a chance that we could be totally wrong. This omnipresent fact of science is called irreducible uncertainty, because it can never be entirely eliminated. However, it's very unlikely that such a cycle exists."
Changes in solar output yes that would be my guess. According to IPCC and NOAA info planet has been warming for about 400 years since the last very cold period. Total temp increase over 400 years is about 1.5 deg C. Scientists don't bother to explain how the first 300 years of that warming happened without man made CO2. In the last 120 years temps have gone up and down within the range of about .7 deg to 1 deg C. Basically global average temp has been steady at about 58 deg. give or take about 3/4 of a degree for over a hundred years. Not really anything to run around with your hair on fire about I don't think.

What about the CO2. Greenhouse gasses make up about 1% of atmospheric gas. 95% of that 1% is water vapor. 3.6% of that 1% is CO2. And 3% of that 3.6% of that 1% is man made CO2. about 15ppm. Assuming all the info and readings are legit CO2 has risen from about 280ppm to almost 400ppm in last 100 years or so and that's the smoking gun they say. The argument is that the 3% man made CO2 is extra and has no place to go the oceans, plants and other sinks wont absorb it so it is accumulating. All the other CO2 finds somewhere to go but not the man made stuff. This hasn't been proved out but its really the only argument left because temps are no longer increasing and none of the models by the so called experts have been reliable. The other argument is that temps don't rise based on CO2 increases but CO2 is released mostly from the ocean from higher temps which seems to make more sense.

Anyway. Why the condemnation of CO2. CO2 is harmless that's why people add it to green houses at levels of 1000ppm or more because plants thrive on higher levels. Why not move to cleaner energy based on eliminating real pollution from coal, and gas like Mercury, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and other heavy metals. What about the electronics industry building billions of circuit boards there is some major pollution.

Im all for being good stewards of the planet. But going after CO2 with cap and trade and using global warming as the reason isn't going to work.
IWreckALot
11/4/2016 5:09pm
Your city has some of the worst air quality in the country, Reality must not be your thing I take it? Like, actuality, things that really...

Like, actuality, things that really exist? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. Between the beef industry, transportation and industrial production we're the 2nd leading polluter in the world.

Factually.

Scientifically proven.

Reality is a bitch...

There really is a market in this all, an opportunity for taxes to be raised and commercial benefit on creating the green industry and all that goes with it, but nothing gets past the bottom line. Human influence and activity is changing the world we live in today for the worse, and it's having very real effects already ( as of 30 or so years ago. ) on the world we live in and we're seeing the undeniable effects in several places across the globe that are changing the way of life, viability of life and even displacing people from their homes.
And with all of the pollution in "my city", I don't know of anyone that has had a hard time breathing or any issues with the air quality. . . So I suppose as bad as it is, it's not all that noticeable.

Let's assume human race is heating the globe up (which is debatable at the best). The measures that have been proposed to reduce the "carbon footprint", costs TRILLIONS of dollars, requires global participation, and cool the earth by a maybe a tenth of a degree over the course of YEARS. The suggested course of action doesn't even reverse the effect. They only slow it down slightly. How many quadrillions do you suppose we spend to cool the earth by a whole half of a degree?

Until you can give me a practical way to "cool the earth" by an amount that is meaningful, without reverting back to pre-civilization, the argument is entirely useless. And don't even try to convince me that China is going to abide by any regulations set forth by the UN (if you could get UN support). They fudge every number they possibly can to make it appear that their country is a competitor in the world market. Reducing America's output to 0, without changing China's output, isn't going to do shit to "cool the earth".

And all of that is assuming you can't figure out that human activity, at best, affects the globe's temperature by a fraction of a degree, if any, anyways.

Read SCR's post above to figure out the minutia you're petitioning for. . . on a dirt bike forum. . . where everyone is riding polluting machines just for fun. Idiot.
Dtat720
11/4/2016 5:29pm
The accord China signed with Obama for carbon controls allows China to continue at its current output for 15 more years. Then, and only if China is prepared to start cutting back, do they have to. If, they are ready.... then! Bring their levels to the US levels in another 50 years. In the mean time, we are supposed to be slashing ours immediately... but China has the equal to 65 years...

There is a group in Australia who did a long term study on the effects of man made CO2, i'll try and find it again... done over the course of 15-20 years, in Australia and central/ south america, proving trees thrive, grow bigger and healthier and put out more oxygen when exposed to any form of CO2. CO2 is CO2, man made or natural. Greenspace thrives with higher levels of it. Carbon tax is a joke. Buying in to it is a joke.
Jmicmoto13
11/4/2016 5:36pm
Dtat720 wrote:
The accord China signed with Obama for carbon controls allows China to continue at its current output for 15 more years. Then, and only if China...
The accord China signed with Obama for carbon controls allows China to continue at its current output for 15 more years. Then, and only if China is prepared to start cutting back, do they have to. If, they are ready.... then! Bring their levels to the US levels in another 50 years. In the mean time, we are supposed to be slashing ours immediately... but China has the equal to 65 years...

There is a group in Australia who did a long term study on the effects of man made CO2, i'll try and find it again... done over the course of 15-20 years, in Australia and central/ south america, proving trees thrive, grow bigger and healthier and put out more oxygen when exposed to any form of CO2. CO2 is CO2, man made or natural. Greenspace thrives with higher levels of it. Carbon tax is a joke. Buying in to it is a joke.
Amen.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/4/2016 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 6:41pm
There are compelling arguments from both sides, from credible sources. Leo is not a credible source.

However, if one side wants to push their agenda more than the other, then they effort to get their information to more people. They want their side more upfront and talked about than the opposition. Here we (and by we, I mean a lot of people) are cussing and discussing this documentary. American opinion is a popularity contest, which is asinine. Leo is popular and wildly unqualified, regardless of which side of the fence he falls on.

I would say, goal achieved. The line between reality and entertainment is getting blurrier everyday.
11/4/2016 6:34pm
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/12/seven-years-ago-today-al-gore-p…

NYC is still on track for being flooded by 2020 id imagine. Whistling

But really, ultimately this gonna lead to a carbon footprint tax. Look how generous they were at the end of the movie by donating money to the cause for the huge footprint they caused by making the film. It's the right thing to do. pay the carbon footprint tax so that Washington can finally fix this problem ! holy shit! Another way to get more money. Who would of thought?
11/4/2016 6:58pm
I believe we should be conscious of the Earth and try to be as kind to it as possible. That's just common sense. What irks me is the bullshit that comes along with it. We could learn a lot from the Japanese on this one. At one time they were a very heavily polluted nation, and through education and a sense of respect for and a belonging to their surroundings they convinced people to respect it out of respect. No political BS or fear mongering. Just common sense and respect. Just watch Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster.
11/4/2016 7:31pm
I remember reading this book in probably 3rd or 4th grade:
The Wump World; author Bill Peet
Check it out.
Moral of the story: Humans are not above the natural world, but rather a part of it.
newmann
11/4/2016 8:16pm
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

Your city has some of the worst air quality in the country, Reality must not be your thing I take it? Like, actuality, things that really...

Factually.

Scientifically proven.

Reality is a bitch...

Well, we better ramp up our production so we can make more money to pay those carbon taxes. Just like California whining about gas taxes dwindling now that cars are more fuel efficient. Gas is bad, must do away with it. Now we must raise gas taxes because people are buying less gas. Fugging amazing how people get sucked into the scam.

Is Mexico still producing R-12 Freon?
11/4/2016 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 8:36pm
I notice it every time I'm in dallas, sore throat, feeling more tired than usual right away, and I don't fly down there so it's not from that...

It's a matter of living symbiotically WITH earth, of course we're going to have to use resources to support our way of life, of course corporations and entities are going to try to profit from this just as with every other thing, but the core values remain: We're harming the systems and natural structures that are essential to supporting not only human, life, but all life forms,

And when those systems are no longer capable of supporting life as they are, we're in for some really bad times. Within the next 20 years people WILL be displaced by sea level rise, not only abroad but in our own country. That was the most alarming thing to me. It's happening here...

There's no scam when it comes to conserving the environment, Look at whats happening to reef life around the globe. you can see how large of an impact a small change has, then scale it to realize what will happen across the board when more factors change and influence life and life supporting resources / systems.

Just because it's not yet tangible to you in your daily life, doesn't mean there is no effect.

it's not a thing you can go out and measure so it doesn't have that effect, realistic impact on a lot of people.

But any logical, rational being who understands simple scientific principles and natural systems has to be aware of whats happening and how it not only can, but is effecting us already.

There's two sides to this, It either is something we will endure and learn to deal with, creating more harm in the process, or it's something we can try to abate through careful and planned actions to reduce the impacts and the effects on our daily lives.

The truth is, most us here in the us won't be effected by it for a very long time, and with the privilege that comes with our nations power and place, even then we will be sheltered from it.

I guess real concern has to come from a selfless? compassionate place?

Think of all those who will never have the ability to cope with the changes that will come. People who will lose their homes, their land, their ability to survive as they were.. Even the implied threats we will face from an influx of refugees and " Unsettling. " of the order that's in place should be enough to spark interest and awareness at least,

President Obama had my favorite part of this, He took it to a big picture outlook and the greater impact it will have on the world around us.

Scary stuff,

Not all monsters are imaginary... And I know it's hard to accept when we're the monsters, I truly get it. I also get the influence of economics in all of this, but science doesn't lie. Scientists aren't in this for more grants, or financial gain, it's their duty, their passion to bring to light the changes the worlds facing and the information that comes with it that simply most people don't get in their normal lives...

If anything, we've got to end this disconnect from realistic, viable, factual information and it's dissemination to the people... and false science that comes from alternative motives.

information is an empowering tool, it's being used to divide us and create confusion and disarray, that is the most dangerous thing about this in the current.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/4/2016 8:46pm
^^^Midwest mafia,

Im confused about your Dallas scenario.

Post a reply to: Leonardo DiCaprios' " Before The Flood. "

The Latest