Leaving for Syria on Saturday

Sunhouse
4/10/2019 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2019 11:39pm
Hi guys,
Just thought I´d let you in on my Easter holiday this year. Two years ago it was Iran - which I loved. This year it will be Syria. Took me so long to plan and book. I encountered so many people who would take me there, only to have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to see almost nothing (Damascus, and little else). Last year I ended up going to Chernobyl instead of Syria, due to not finding a suitable "guide" in Syria.

I have done a bunch of research the past three years and finally came across someone who could take me to the places I want to go.I found him through seeing the German Tv network RTL using him for guidance. I`m not going there to see suffering and ruins, but to me give an idea of the country without the islamists we`ve seen trying to take over the country since 2011. I know some of these trips seem like total ego-trips (which in some ways they are), but to me Syria has been important. I have lived in Australia, and my best friend there was a Syrian immigrant (90`s). We are still close, so I figured, why not go there and see if his stories are right. He is a Christian Syrian, so obviously he supported Al Assad in the conflict. The frontline has moved closer to Iraq, so I should be OK seeing Aleppo, Palmyra and Crac De Chavallier (a medieval fort from the crusades). Eastern Ghouta and Homs should be on the way.
Anyways, I know a few of you like the stories, so I will try to post some pictures and insight along the way. There is no way of sending money to Syria, so I have to bring a ridiculous amount of money to the country. (3400 USD). I`ll have to to do it like The Wolf Of wall Street, strapped to my body, haha.

Anyways, I will post pictures along the way, some will be shite, and some will be decent I reckon. I have a GoPro, a shitty Nikon 3100 and a mobile phone. But most of all, I can extract HD images from the GoPro, which are usually the best.

Since my last post, I`ve been to Samoa and Fiji via OZ (to visit family). I didn´t post any pictures of that, as they seem like pretty bland destinations compared to NK, Iran and Syria. Fingers crossed I can land in Beirut and give my contact the money for the hotels, transport etc, as they are under heavy restrictions. I do believe they have wifi though, so maybe I can post a picture of Syria with my laptop on Vital, so you know it is for real. If not, I most likely failed Grinning

Will keep those who are interested posted Smile
|
BR8ES
4/10/2019 4:01pm
Say hello to the YPG/J and SDF... keep your head on a swivel and realise it is a very serious place of danger and strife. Enjoy the best you can, a pretty kool place, but now is just sad. Stay safe.
Sunhouse
4/10/2019 4:07pm
BR8ES wrote:
Say hello to the YPG/J and SDF... keep your head on a swivel and realise it is a very serious place of danger and strife. Enjoy...
Say hello to the YPG/J and SDF... keep your head on a swivel and realise it is a very serious place of danger and strife. Enjoy the best you can, a pretty kool place, but now is just sad. Stay safe.
I will keep out of YPG and SDF areas, as they are not government controlled. I know they have a friendly tone, but it is not doable through governmentally approved trips. I got a phone call one week ago saying everything was OK, except security. But with my Instagram etc open, they probably found me and saw I was just another tourist. One who knows how to behave accordingly. etc.
BTW, have you been in the French Foreign Legion? your avatar is FFL Smile
BR8ES
4/10/2019 4:13pm
BR8ES wrote:
Say hello to the YPG/J and SDF... keep your head on a swivel and realise it is a very serious place of danger and strife. Enjoy...
Sunhouse wrote:
I will keep out of YPG and SDF areas, as they are not government controlled. I know they have a friendly tone, but it is not...
I will keep out of YPG and SDF areas, as they are not government controlled. I know they have a friendly tone, but it is not doable through governmentally approved trips. I got a phone call one week ago saying everything was OK, except security. But with my Instagram etc open, they probably found me and saw I was just another tourist. One who knows how to behave accordingly. etc.
BTW, have you been in the French Foreign Legion? your avatar is FFL Smile
Yes I was in the Legion, 5 and half years... loved every minute of it. Lots of places with adventuresSmile
Glad you will be away from those areas, but please keep in mind that security is relative and much of it falls upon you. Really hope you enjoy your time there, some good folks there, just turn in so many directions. Definitely interested in your trip, photos will be appreciated and enjoyed.
Sunhouse
4/10/2019 4:26pm
BR8ES wrote:
Yes I was in the Legion, 5 and half years... loved every minute of it. Lots of places with adventures:) Glad you will be away from...
Yes I was in the Legion, 5 and half years... loved every minute of it. Lots of places with adventuresSmile
Glad you will be away from those areas, but please keep in mind that security is relative and much of it falls upon you. Really hope you enjoy your time there, some good folks there, just turn in so many directions. Definitely interested in your trip, photos will be appreciated and enjoyed.
Thanks for letting me know. I`ve been obsessed with the Legion for like 15 years. But I went the academic route and now I`m 35, and only have 2 more years to apply. I`ve done the 1 year mandatory military service we have here. But it is nothing like what the Legion does. Can I ask you when you were there, and which deployments to you went to? (you don´t have to answer that if you don`t want to though)

Yeah, safety is an issue. I reckon my trip would have been safer last year when the front line was more defined. Now there may be pockets, sleeper cells etc. lingering. Still I, feel like the Syrian Government woulnd`t let foreigners into risky areas given the bad press and lack of PR it would receive

The Shop

Foghorn
4/10/2019 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2019 4:35pm
My sister spent 3 years there with the Canadian embassy. She liked it but preferred Lebanon and Jordan. She left a couple of years before the wheels fell off. Good luck!
4/10/2019 4:39pm
Extreme Vacation destinations brought to you by Sunhouse!

You sure have a big old set of balls on you. Hope it's everything you want it to be. Good luck.
BR8ES
4/10/2019 4:42pm
BR8ES wrote:
Yes I was in the Legion, 5 and half years... loved every minute of it. Lots of places with adventures:) Glad you will be away from...
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I`ve been obsessed with the Legion for like 15 years. But I went the academic route and now I`m 35, and...
Thanks for letting me know. I`ve been obsessed with the Legion for like 15 years. But I went the academic route and now I`m 35, and only have 2 more years to apply. I`ve done the 1 year mandatory military service we have here. But it is nothing like what the Legion does. Can I ask you when you were there, and which deployments to you went to? (you don´t have to answer that if you don`t want to though)

Yeah, safety is an issue. I reckon my trip would have been safer last year when the front line was more defined. Now there may be pockets, sleeper cells etc. lingering. Still I, feel like the Syrian Government woulnd`t let foreigners into risky areas given the bad press and lack of PR it would receive
I encourage you to go for it and at least present yourself, go through the selection process. If you wait and let time pass without trying, it will be a life with regret and what ifs! It is scary and bizarre, lots of different people and origins. When I was in, there was lots of Eastern Bloc and North Africans, mates to the end however.

I pursued the ugly and dangerous with most of my time in the 13 DBLE, some 2e REP. Had a death wish and being young, didn't care. Too many destinations to name here.

I really miss those days, my years in the USA Army was not nearly as intense for many different reasons.

Just try it mate, live your dreams whilst you may. Looking forward to your trip photos and such, stay in touch.
lukemoto
4/10/2019 4:57pm
BR8ES wrote:
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I`ve been obsessed with the Legion for like 15 years. But I went the academic route and now I`m 35, and...

BR8ES wrote:
I encourage you to go for it and at least present yourself, go through the selection process. If you wait and let time pass without trying...
I encourage you to go for it and at least present yourself, go through the selection process. If you wait and let time pass without trying, it will be a life with regret and what ifs! It is scary and bizarre, lots of different people and origins. When I was in, there was lots of Eastern Bloc and North Africans, mates to the end however.

I pursued the ugly and dangerous with most of my time in the 13 DBLE, some 2e REP. Had a death wish and being young, didn't care. Too many destinations to name here.

I really miss those days, my years in the USA Army was not nearly as intense for many different reasons.

Just try it mate, live your dreams whilst you may. Looking forward to your trip photos and such, stay in touch.
In your army days were you ever at fort hood? I had a buddy in my unit ETS and then went straight to the legion. It's not you Tony is it??? Lol
BR8ES
4/10/2019 5:00pm
No sir, not Tony. But did much training there. Besides, my time reversed...
plowboy
4/10/2019 5:37pm
You two would make excellent firemen....running towards danger as others run away. 40 years ago I would have gone anywhere in the world without a second thought. Now, I just see religious fanaticism (even in the USA), blind hatred looking for an opportunity to strike out. Countries full of decent people ruled by despots or peppered with angry people looking for anyone to blame for their plight. Sunhouse...have yourself a blast but for cryin' out loud...be safe. I don't want to read about you being relieved of your noggin by a bunch of nut jobs.
Nighttrain
4/10/2019 6:26pm
I look forward to the pictures, Sunhouse. Safe travels.
buenavides
4/10/2019 7:05pm
Crime is generally low and you should feel safe to walk around in any part of the city at any time day or night. You can visit Aleppo for some historical sighting. Have fun!
Sunhouse
4/11/2019 4:55pm
BR8ES wrote:
I encourage you to go for it and at least present yourself, go through the selection process. If you wait and let time pass without trying...

Thanks bud, really appreciate it! And thanks to all of you who`ve replied. I will stay safe, I feel like this will be an interesting trip! Also, from what I´ve read from other travelers, the country is more controlled than Western media tells us. Time will show though.

2e Rep, that´s para, right? Damn, it would be my dream to do service in 2nd para, but I could be unlucky and be appointed truck driving or something. I just think time has ran out for me in regards to FFL. For some strange reason I find it cooler to serve with the FAMAS than the HK416. I know it is silly, but it what I associate with the FFL.
Also, I spent 6 years at uni getitng a law degree, so it would be 5 expensive years. However, I feel like the hands-on approach, and the professionalism is intriguing. What did you do upon returning home?
BR8ES
4/11/2019 5:22pm
BR8ES wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks bud, really appreciate it! And thanks to all of you who`ve replied. I will stay safe, I feel like this will be an interesting trip...
Thanks bud, really appreciate it! And thanks to all of you who`ve replied. I will stay safe, I feel like this will be an interesting trip! Also, from what I´ve read from other travelers, the country is more controlled than Western media tells us. Time will show though.

2e Rep, that´s para, right? Damn, it would be my dream to do service in 2nd para, but I could be unlucky and be appointed truck driving or something. I just think time has ran out for me in regards to FFL. For some strange reason I find it cooler to serve with the FAMAS than the HK416. I know it is silly, but it what I associate with the FFL.
Also, I spent 6 years at uni getitng a law degree, so it would be 5 expensive years. However, I feel like the hands-on approach, and the professionalism is intriguing. What did you do upon returning home?
It is Para and pretty hard core, I was young and full of piss and vinegar! I should have put my 15 years in and retired. I went back to the US and did my time in the Army. Had to keep that pretty quiet at the time for many reasons. I am a military lifer. May go back to France soon as I am citizen due to my service.

Your time hasn't passed yet! Your background could be valuable to the Legion, but it may not be as glamorous as Para or Djibouti. But the grunt life is a tough go for sure. It is all what you really see for yourself deep down, not surface level. You may not even get selected, but the though of showing up and trying will continue to be on your mind.

The FAMAS is the Legion, very much a trademark and I agree. If you did try and made it, prepare physically, mentally, linguistically, etc and you'd be a easy choice for what you really want.

Anyway, the trip to Syria awaits and new times with some new people. Enjoy what you have chosen!

tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
4/12/2019 6:59pm
Good luck and I look forward to your updates and pictures
4/12/2019 7:48pm
If ya get close to shayrat airbase please snap a bunch of photos!!!!
G-man
4/14/2019 11:38pm
Wow you are one crazy mofo sunhouse to WANT to vacation in those high risk areas and going thru customs with cash strapped to your body! Woohoo

I'll stick to the TOPLESS beaches at our local lakes and look forward to your mad adventures!

Stay safe Cool

Post a reply to: Leaving for Syria on Saturday

The Latest