Learned a tough lesson

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2018 8:29 PM

I was smoking 6 racks of ribs, but couldn’t figure out why my smoker wasn’t working right. The air flow seemed ok with the doors open, but temps would drop if I closed them. Plus, the color of the smoke was off. Anyways, the ribs turned out like crap.

Lesson I learned was to check the smoke stack. A damn bird made her nest in there and messed it all up. Smoke was coming out, but not the right kind. If that makes sense.

Check the smoke stacks is my advice or you will be out of money

|

9/7/2018 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2018 8:36 PM

Sucks the ribs were no good, did the eggs taste any better? grin

Noticed a bees nest in the stack of my grill the other day. Nature’s way of saying I need to grill out more.

|

9/7/2018 8:34 PM

Had to give this one the thumbs down just for the suck factor. Six racks of ribs ain’t cheap.

|

9/7/2018 9:07 PM

Got a 18lb brisket on there (Texas style) trying to redeem myself at the moment

|

9/8/2018 7:55 AM

JRT812 wrote:

If your in Ohio I’d like to join for supper grin

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

9/8/2018 4:33 PM

That sucks about the ribs. I'm guessing your dog's weren't that sad though. How'd that big old brisket turn out?

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/8/2018 5:52 PM

Man the thumbs down trolls are real.

|

GP740
Since 1987

9/9/2018 11:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 11:33 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Man the thumbs down trolls are real.

That was me, and I said as much in my post (because it sucks JRT lost six racks of ribs).

|

9/11/2018 9:08 AM

JRT812 wrote:

18 pounds?! That's huge. Brisket is $6 a pound here. I'd have to take out a loan to buy 18 pounds of brisket. wink

|

9/11/2018 1:01 PM

plowboy wrote:

That sucks about the ribs. I'm guessing your dog's weren't that sad though. How'd that big old brisket turn out?

Came out pretty good. Smoke ring was decent and the bark had decent flavor. The wife hacked it up using the wrong knife and not knowing to cut against the grain on the point and flat. She was trying to help me as I was cleaning up outside, but outside of that was good. Long night cleaning my smoker and then throwing it on there after my disaster with the ribs. Went on at 11pm and came off at 12pm something the next day. Settled in the cooler for about 2 hrs. It started raining during it but I was set on maintaining the temps Photo

Photo

|

9/11/2018 1:07 PM

JRT812 wrote:

Harry Backmon wrote:

18 pounds?! That's huge. Brisket is $6 a pound here. I'd have to take out a loan to buy 18 pounds of brisket. wink

She was the biggest I have done. I usually get much smaller but all the butcher had at the time was in the 17-18 pound range. I finished a pretty big landscaping job that week and decided to got for it. The plus side is I had some extra to try something new with my Brunswick stew I made this morning. Usually chicken, pork and beef is what I use but, I added some of the brisket to it as well this morning when I made it.

Photo

|

9/11/2018 1:32 PM

Looks good.

Chop some of that up and make a loaded baked potato. Or make some brisket quesadillas. Or some brisket soft tacos.

Yum!!

|

9/11/2018 2:07 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Looks good.

Chop some of that up and make a loaded baked potato. Or make some brisket quesadillas. Or some brisket soft ...more

Thanks my man! Did brisket tacos last night and they were amazing

|

9/11/2018 4:59 PM

I like to chop some up with onions, mushrooms and eggs all scrambled together. They kick bbq beans up a notch too. Good job buddy...and good eatin'.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/11/2018 5:14 PM

plowboy wrote:

I like to chop some up with onions, mushrooms and eggs all scrambled together. They kick bbq beans up a notch too. Good job ...more

Outside of the mushrooms, that sounds amazing great idea and thanks for the kind words!

|

9/12/2018 3:23 AM

Where’s the burnt ends? Looks good. Never once thought to check the smoke stack, but i fire the pits up several times a month

|