Le’Veon Bell

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/30/2018 8:08pm
Opinions on this guy?

Was set to make around 15 million this year for a 16 game season and for some reason he doesn’t feel he is being paid a fair price. Every game he sits out he is losing around $900,000.....must be nice! I feel bad when I miss one day of work and I feel I’m going to get in a hole because I lost a few hundred....but 900K????

Seems to me he would have been much better off to take out a massive Lloyd’s of London policy on a career ending injury and suited up and played his ass off to increase his bargaining power for next season. I really have a problem with millionaires who don’t show commitment to their teams and also ones who do not honor their contracts.

BTW, who picked him in Fantasy?
|
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/30/2018 8:38pm
He screwed me in fantasy football. It was like my first pick was actually 24th pick because my first was useless. Lol
motosmith
10/1/2018 7:54am
Do players still get paid full salary if they are injured?
Huevos450R
Fantasy
3290th
10/1/2018 9:28am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2018 9:28am
motosmith wrote:
The easiest way for me to explain this is --- Football is non-guaranteed money. Unlike most other pro sports.

NFL players get paid on a per game basis, which is 1/16th of their salary for every game. Players get a per deim for preseason and OTAs. They do not get paid for the offseason.

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/1/2018 11:16am
I’m not positive if they do or not. I did hear one commentator say that Le’Veon should come back, fake injury, and go on injured reserve. So I’m assuming if he was given that advise they would be getting compensated pretty well. There are some real gems in this world...the advice of a person with zero morality

The Shop

APLMAN99
10/1/2018 12:43pm
motosmith wrote:
Huevos450R wrote:
The easiest way for me to explain this is --- Football is non-guaranteed money. Unlike most other pro sports. NFL players get paid on a per...
The easiest way for me to explain this is --- Football is non-guaranteed money. Unlike most other pro sports.

NFL players get paid on a per game basis, which is 1/16th of their salary for every game. Players get a per deim for preseason and OTAs. They do not get paid for the offseason.

Close.

They get 17 checks per year, including the bye week.

There are some guarantees, but they are confusing and contracts vary. For a veteran who is on the roster for the first few games, then their contracted pay is guaranteed for the season.

The thing about the NFL that is somewhat bizarre is that because there is a salary cap, the players on the same team are also somewhat of competitors for a share of the salary cap "pool". So if Pittsburgh were to guarantee a bunch of Bell's future money in a contract extension and he were to get hurt, there'd be less available money for his replacement and for the players who were still playing. But ultimately a player has to maximize his own earnings, it's a relatively short career span.
MelonFan123
10/1/2018 12:43pm
Easy to look at it that way KennyT, but like Huevos said NFL players easily get shafted the most compared to other leagues. No guaranteed contracts and they can be cut/waived at any time and many times no money is owed to them (besides signing bonus' or "guaranteed" money).

When you hear about these big contracts in the NFL, the "guaranteed" money is really the only thing to pay attention to. The rest is usually in bonuses and other incentives that will only pay if the contract is fully played out. Many times they are not and the player is cut or waived with 2 or 3 season left on the deal.

In Bell's case...he has NO DOUBT been the best offensive player in the league for the past 3-4 years. Instead of paying him the Steelers have put him on the Franchise Tag each year, which are one-year deals. NFL players know they are one injury away from having their career cut short so getting that Tag (this year is the 3rd straight year they did it to him) has been a slap in the face to him.

To put it in moto terms, thats like 2007 James Stewart (undefeated season, fastest man on the planet) getting paid like a 3-5th place guy. Thats still good money to most people, but when you're head and shoulders the best in your profession you want to get paid like it.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
10/1/2018 2:10pm
motosmith wrote:
If under contract like Earl Thomas yes they do. If Leveon signs his franchise tender he will get paid that whole salary (while it will likely be insured by the team).
borg
10/1/2018 6:24pm
It's hard for me to have sympathy for Bell. I cant even afford to go to a baseball game let alone football.
Shiftfaced
10/1/2018 7:11pm
As has been stated earlier, being “under contract” means nothing in the NFL.

Small percentages are guaranteed, and after that, you can still have years left on you “contract”, and the team can cut you with no financial obligation.

For the players, it is “Get what you can get when you can get it”.

For the best players in the league (like Bell), signing the franchise tender is such a risk. It is a one-year deal. If you have a catastrophic injury in a season when a team is going to try and get EVERYTHING out of you that they possibly can, you are then out of the league, can’t walk, and are sent out to pasture.

It is a vicious form of capitalism.
ocscottie
10/2/2018 3:04am
On MNF last night they reported that Bell may return to the Steelers at game 7, i sure hope so, that dude is fun to watch, very rare talent.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/2/2018 7:10pm
I guess I don’t have a problem with Capitolism. The way I see it is if the mega rich owners did not succeed in business then athletes like Bell would be left being burger flippers, bankers, carpenters, engineers or whatever, none of which would pay him anywhere near 15million a year. What good is NFL talent if you do not have a stage to perform? I don’t think there would be much revenue for players in a backyard league.

Seems to me running backs have around 3-5 years of being in their prime. He is throwing a year away that he will never get back. A year older, a year slower is usually how it works out.

Not any sympathy for him or any other holdout over the years. As a fan I always enjoy watching the best, but there is plenty of talent in the NFL to keep me amused
APLMAN99
10/2/2018 8:34pm
KennyT wrote:
I guess I don’t have a problem with Capitolism. The way I see it is if the mega rich owners did not succeed in business then...
I guess I don’t have a problem with Capitolism. The way I see it is if the mega rich owners did not succeed in business then athletes like Bell would be left being burger flippers, bankers, carpenters, engineers or whatever, none of which would pay him anywhere near 15million a year. What good is NFL talent if you do not have a stage to perform? I don’t think there would be much revenue for players in a backyard league.

Seems to me running backs have around 3-5 years of being in their prime. He is throwing a year away that he will never get back. A year older, a year slower is usually how it works out.

Not any sympathy for him or any other holdout over the years. As a fan I always enjoy watching the best, but there is plenty of talent in the NFL to keep me amused
Did you just finish your internship with Luongo?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/2/2018 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2018 9:07pm
KennyT wrote:
I guess I don’t have a problem with Capitolism. The way I see it is if the mega rich owners did not succeed in business then...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Did you just finish your internship with Luongo?
Luongo has nothing on me....I’m a contractor ?

You gotta admit that sitting out, letting your teammates down and losing 900K a week is not a smart move. I don’t imagine he will get the best blocking from his offensive line if he ever comes back. Maybe he will, after all his teammates are professionals
agn5009
10/3/2018 7:43am
It's difficult to justify paying Bell mega bucks. Is he absolutely amazing? Definitely. But I don't recall him ever playing a full season in the NFL. He has been injured or suspended almost every season that I recall. There may be one season sprinkled in there where he finished every game so don't quote me on that. But the guy has been suspended at least twice. Injured a ton. Now he created this drama and divide in the locker room. It's hard to say he deserves a mega deal. Like I said, the talent and ability is there. He's just missing a few things to get the big time deal. Plus he's going to start trending downward due to him getting up there in age in RB years.
greenmx5
10/3/2018 7:49am
Bell has had 1 full season since joining the NFL.

13 games in 2013
16 games in 2014
6 games in 2015
12 games in 2016
15 games in 2017
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/3/2018 11:06am
greenmx5 wrote:
Bell has had 1 full season since joining the NFL. 13 games in 2013 16 games in 2014 6 games in 2015 12 games in 2016...

13 games in 2013
16 games in 2014
6 games in 2015
12 games in 2016
15 games in 2017
And 5 years under his belt. This is typically where RB’s have hit their peak and the skill set is put into a gradual decline.

You have to admit the Steelers played it well. He is not going to get a long term deal going into year 6. He may get a decent deal from a hard up team that wants to win now, but t won’t be guaranteed, that would be foolish
greenmx5
10/3/2018 11:30am
greenmx5 wrote:
Bell has had 1 full season since joining the NFL. 13 games in 2013 16 games in 2014 6 games in 2015 12 games in 2016...

13 games in 2013
16 games in 2014
6 games in 2015
12 games in 2016
15 games in 2017
KennyT wrote:
And 5 years under his belt. This is typically where RB’s have hit their peak and the skill set is put into a gradual decline. You...
And 5 years under his belt. This is typically where RB’s have hit their peak and the skill set is put into a gradual decline.

You have to admit the Steelers played it well. He is not going to get a long term deal going into year 6. He may get a decent deal from a hard up team that wants to win now, but t won’t be guaranteed, that would be foolish
I think he'll end up in either Philly or Indy.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/3/2018 1:37pm
I don't follow pro football, is the guy basically just not showing up for the games? Why did he sign the contract if he didn't like the terms?
APLMAN99
10/3/2018 6:29pm
early wrote:
I don't follow pro football, is the guy basically just not showing up for the games? Why did he sign the contract if he didn't like...
I don't follow pro football, is the guy basically just not showing up for the games? Why did he sign the contract if he didn't like the terms?
He didn't sign a contract. But his rights are controlled by the Steelers and they put a franchise tag on him, which means that he either plays for them this season or he doesn't play for anyone. When you put the franchise tag on a player, you pay them near the top of all players at their position, but it's only a single year commitment. And each year that you use the franchise tag, that price goes up but it's still only a year at a time. Kirk Cousins went the franchise tag route in Washington for a couple of seasons, and if Washington would have applied it to him again it would have been something close to $35 million, if I remember correctly.

So technically Le'Veon Bell isn't under contract, because he hasn't signed the franchise tag tender that Pittsburgh extended to him.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/3/2018 8:29pm
Jeez what a jacked up situation. I was raised in a Steelers house but gave up watching football about 15 years ago. Youngstown Ohio is directly in the middle of Pittsburgh and Cleveland so about half the town is Steelers fans and half Browns fans, makes it fun at the bar when they face off twice a year. Always fun to rib the Browns fans about Browns "luck".
MelonFan123
10/3/2018 9:08pm
KennyT wrote:
And 5 years under his belt. This is typically where RB’s have hit their peak and the skill set is put into a gradual decline. You...

How did they play it well? This has been an issue for the past few season (he almost sat out last year before reporting right before week 1).

Now they don't have arguably the best two-threat player in the league, causing a total shit show and locker room distraction. They're sitting last in their division with a 1-2-1 record.

I'm not saying it's all the team's fault. Bell turned down their contract offers so he has some blame too.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/4/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2018 10:28am
KennyT wrote:

How did they play it well? This has been an issue for the past few season (he almost sat out last year before reporting right before...
How did they play it well? This has been an issue for the past few season (he almost sat out last year before reporting right before week 1).

Now they don't have arguably the best two-threat player in the league, causing a total shit show and locker room distraction. They're sitting last in their division with a 1-2-1 record.

I'm not saying it's all the team's fault. Bell turned down their contract offers so he has some blame too.
They played it well by not having to sign him to a mega multi year contract and still getting his services for his prime years. He is 26, running backs typically slow down immensely around 27-29 and are retired by 30. Now it’s too late for him to get a multi year mega deal that is guaranteed money. That is why I find it very hard to justify sitting and losing $900K per game. Denying himself of earnings and doing nothing but watching his career fall, when in a prime physical year it should be on the rise.

I guess when you have 30-40mil or whatever he has sitting in your bank account you can make decisions like this

BTW, if he was a OL or QB I would better understand this. They can have productive years well into their 30’s
OldPro277
10/4/2018 1:29pm
As a LONG time Steeler fanatic, I'm pretty shocked on how this is playing out. The Steeler's/ Rooney's history show absolutely no patience for contract disputes , substance abuse/ brushes with the law etc,etc. I'm sure NFL fans remember Chuck Noll's famous "Franco who?" comment when Franco Harris (arguably one of the 2 best running backs in history at the time) was in a contract dispute before his final season in 1984, and subsequently shipped off to Seattle . And more recently ,cutting loose Santonio Holmes after a substance abuse issue AFTER he was named the Super Bowl MVP for what is probably the finest catch in SB history in the final seconds of the Steelers victory over Arizona in SB XLIII. And there are many ,many instances like that in between those 25 years. This current regime seems waaaaay too tolerant of this kind of crap. Lev is the best running back in the league no doubt, but being suspended twice in his first 4 years would have created a gigantic Space-X type of launch out of town. And its no secret around town here that they DID offer Lev a long term contract worth enough money to keep him a Steeler for life, just not enough of it was "guaranteed" . All that being said--from a players standpoint ,its obviously a ridiculously dangerous sport. The Ryan Shazier situation happened right in front of Lev Bells eyes ,so...............
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/4/2018 1:46pm
OldPro277 wrote:
As a LONG time Steeler fanatic, I'm pretty shocked on how this is playing out. The Steeler's/ Rooney's history show absolutely no patience for contract disputes...
As a LONG time Steeler fanatic, I'm pretty shocked on how this is playing out. The Steeler's/ Rooney's history show absolutely no patience for contract disputes , substance abuse/ brushes with the law etc,etc. I'm sure NFL fans remember Chuck Noll's famous "Franco who?" comment when Franco Harris (arguably one of the 2 best running backs in history at the time) was in a contract dispute before his final season in 1984, and subsequently shipped off to Seattle . And more recently ,cutting loose Santonio Holmes after a substance abuse issue AFTER he was named the Super Bowl MVP for what is probably the finest catch in SB history in the final seconds of the Steelers victory over Arizona in SB XLIII. And there are many ,many instances like that in between those 25 years. This current regime seems waaaaay too tolerant of this kind of crap. Lev is the best running back in the league no doubt, but being suspended twice in his first 4 years would have created a gigantic Space-X type of launch out of town. And its no secret around town here that they DID offer Lev a long term contract worth enough money to keep him a Steeler for life, just not enough of it was "guaranteed" . All that being said--from a players standpoint ,its obviously a ridiculously dangerous sport. The Ryan Shazier situation happened right in front of Lev Bells eyes ,so...............
Congratulations on being a Steeler fan. By choosing my local teams I’ve been stuck with the Chargers/Rams for the past 45 years. I remember clearly the Bradshaw days and the steel curtain

Looks like Shazier is doing pretty well considering his injury.
OldPro277
10/4/2018 2:09pm
Shazier is doing remarkably well. He still claims that returning to playing level is his goal. I think its great that the Steeler organization is keeping him in the locker room and sidelines. He's a good dude. And the Rams seem to be the team to beat this year for sure. Very exciting offense. Almost as good as what the Steelers were supposed to be this year !! LOL
APLMAN99
10/4/2018 6:41pm
OldPro277 wrote:
As a LONG time Steeler fanatic, I'm pretty shocked on how this is playing out. The Steeler's/ Rooney's history show absolutely no patience for contract disputes...
Well they stuck by Roethlesberger through 2 sexual assault incidents, including 1 that resulted in a 4 game league imposed suspension, so they were able to have at least SOME patience with players that they felt would still contribute at a high level........
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
10/4/2018 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2018 7:35pm
OldPro277 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Well they stuck by Roethlesberger through 2 sexual assault incidents, including 1 that resulted in a 4 game league imposed suspension, so they were able to...
Well they stuck by Roethlesberger through 2 sexual assault incidents, including 1 that resulted in a 4 game league imposed suspension, so they were able to have at least SOME patience with players that they felt would still contribute at a high level........
That was a strange case against Big Ben. The hotel incident had a woman claiming she was raped, yet there were fellow employees who said she had bragged to them about sleeping with him.

The second one involved a bathroom scene in a bar where he allegedly raped his victim, who later refused to press charges. Now I’m sure he is no saint but with all the false accusations being thrown around with celebrities it is very hard to believe anyone nowadays, many who are looking for 15 mins of fame and a big payout.

Interesting enough there is one company who stood by their man even though the NFL suspended him and another major company pulled his endorsement, it was NIKE who did not fire him. I guess they decided to stand by their motto of “Just Do It”
c0ncEpT
10/5/2018 7:50am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2018 7:52am
Bell is what most people would consider an elite level running back. Top 3 in the NFL for sure IMO.

Running backs have yet to get to the next level as far as contract money goes. Franchise Quarterbacks, Wide receivers, D-line, and even players in the secondary have all received high level contracts paying them almost double what Bell makes.

I understand why he's upset with the franchise tag. His career is short and he wants be on par with the best position players in the league and maximize his earnings.

Think of it like this. How would you feel if you knew that other people with the same skill set as you were making twice as much money as you and your employer just forced you to stay another year? A lot of disdain and animosity would build up for sure.
OldPro277
10/5/2018 10:51am
OldPro277 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Well they stuck by Roethlesberger through 2 sexual assault incidents, including 1 that resulted in a 4 game league imposed suspension, so they were able to...
KennyT wrote:
That was a strange case against Big Ben. The hotel incident had a woman claiming she was raped, yet there were fellow employees who said she...
That was a strange case against Big Ben. The hotel incident had a woman claiming she was raped, yet there were fellow employees who said she had bragged to them about sleeping with him.

The second one involved a bathroom scene in a bar where he allegedly raped his victim, who later refused to press charges. Now I’m sure he is no saint but with all the false accusations being thrown around with celebrities it is very hard to believe anyone nowadays, many who are looking for 15 mins of fame and a big payout.

Interesting enough there is one company who stood by their man even though the NFL suspended him and another major company pulled his endorsement, it was NIKE who did not fire him. I guess they decided to stand by their motto of “Just Do It”
Kenny- yeah the Ben situation is much different than Bell and Legarrette Blount being pulled over by police on McKnight road in a scene out of a Cheech and Chong movie lol. Ben's Colorado Hotel accuser was definitely bragging about having a "little Roethlisberger" ,it was a quite obvious set-up and extortion ploy. And the bar incident was also not as the initial media reports had you believing. Reportedly one of the reasons there weren't charges filed ,was that there were supposed eyewitnesses that watched the girl follow Ben into the restroom for a consensual encounter.
Whatever version of those stories are believable to you,I will state that since then Ben has been squeaky-clean, very active in the local community and has been a model citizen that no one can argue. As you stated Kenny T ,the "he said"--"she said" crap involving high profile people really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Everybody is looking for the free ride, so irrefutable evidence is needed before peoples lives are falsely affected.
My main point was that prior regimes--- the Chuck Noll era and the Cowher era, any legitimate distractions were dealt with swiftly and completely. Although I DO like Tomlin, I'm just not sure he has instilled enough fear in his players, or maybe that's too harsh---maybe he hasn't earned the respect from his squad that Noll/Cowher did. Too much of the todays popular "players coach'???

Post a reply to: Le’Veon Bell

The Latest