Layne Staley

Hut
He would have been 49 today.

|
hillbilly
8/22/2016 10:06am
Some people ain't ment to make old bones.

Heard Roger describe moon the loon that way once.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/22/2016 10:14am
One of the all time greats.
Hut
8/22/2016 10:15am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 10:16am
hillbilly, that's profound.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/22/2016 11:35am
AiC soooo much better than Nirvana Cool
rosebud441
8/22/2016 11:47am
Well you didn't see them open for Mud Honey at Western Wash University gymnasium in 1990'ish,, Nevemind was about to break out and they opened under the name "sprinkler" The place went absolutely crazy, people swinging from the bb hoops.. One of those had to be there moments
ocscottie
8/22/2016 3:06pm
My #1 all time fav front man of any band, period. Balled my head off when he passed. Dont think i would still be here without their music, got me though some really rough, scary times....times when you are so down you have nothing to turn to, but music can pull you through, sounds crazy, but its true.
APLMAN99
8/22/2016 3:54pm
seth505 wrote:
They're pretty different bands, I love just about everything that either of the two bands put out "back in the day".

Like rosebud, I had the pleasure to see both live in fairly intimate settings, and they were phenomenal.

The "unplugged" sessions for both bands has been playing lately and I saved both. My wife and kids may be getting a bit tired of them because I've watched/listened to each one 3-4 times in the last couple of weeks.

The "new" AiC just opened for Guns n' Roses at their Seattle stop. Haven't actually listened to anything new from them but some folks that I know who went said that they really enjoyed them.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/22/2016 5:26pm
seth505 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
They're pretty different bands, I love just about everything that either of the two bands put out "back in the day". Like rosebud, I had the...
They're pretty different bands, I love just about everything that either of the two bands put out "back in the day".

Like rosebud, I had the pleasure to see both live in fairly intimate settings, and they were phenomenal.

The "unplugged" sessions for both bands has been playing lately and I saved both. My wife and kids may be getting a bit tired of them because I've watched/listened to each one 3-4 times in the last couple of weeks.

The "new" AiC just opened for Guns n' Roses at their Seattle stop. Haven't actually listened to anything new from them but some folks that I know who went said that they really enjoyed them.
Agreed, they are quite different. I dunno what it was but back in the day everyone would bring up Nirvana when AiC was mentioned.

That's definitely sick both of you guys saw Nirvana and/or AiC back in the day though!
vetmxr
8/22/2016 5:56pm
unmistakable voice and writing style....most of their songs use a flat tuning on guitar to give some songs a somber feel. When the unplugged album came out I had to get the music and learned most of Jerry's guitar parts. I wonder if I could still play them through. I think I'll go find my guitar. Smile
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/22/2016 6:20pm
Ill never forget the first time I heard "would". One of those deals where everytime I hear it, it takes me back to that moment. I was fortunate to see them a couple of times, and Staley was one of those guys you just knew was special, like iconic.

I saw Nirvana as well and felt the same about Kurt (Kurt and Layne died on the same date). But today is about Lane Staley. RIP.

BTW, Scottie, know exactly what you mean. Music can save us.
8/23/2016 2:20pm
Its amazing how many singers now a days rip him off with his vocal style (I'm looking at you scott stapp, douchebag!). I wonder if he did that on purpose or he just sang that way and it stuck.
b8res
8/23/2016 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 3:16pm
gabrielito wrote:
RIP

Still one of my favorite bands.....
rosebud441
8/23/2016 3:18pm
To understand why A.i.c. Nirvana, all those Seattle bands Yes, (Pearl Jam too) were so great to so many people you have to understand they were coming to light at the tail end of one of the WORST periods of music history,..

That's right Hair bands ruled the roost, those stupid fucking bands like warrent, poison etc.. were blown out of the water by that heavy dark shit coming from dark wet Seattle winters.. What a breath of fresh air it was.. Its something younger listeners just don't get... Popular music was REALLY bad in the late 80's
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/23/2016 3:33pm
gabrielito wrote:
RIP

b8res wrote:
Still one of my favorite bands.....
I have a tattoo of Mad Seasons album cover on my shoulder. Below that is AIC's logo and "dust rise right on over my time" text, taken from their song Them bones.
The whole thing is a tribute to Layne.

gabrielito
8/23/2016 4:36pm
sende wrote:
I have a tattoo of Mad Seasons album cover on my shoulder. Below that is AIC's logo and "dust rise right on over my time" text...
I have a tattoo of Mad Seasons album cover on my shoulder. Below that is AIC's logo and "dust rise right on over my time" text, taken from their song Them bones.
The whole thing is a tribute to Layne.

I guess you win the fan competition. That is awesome.
gabrielito
8/23/2016 4:45pm
rosebud441 wrote:
To understand why A.i.c. Nirvana, all those Seattle bands Yes, (Pearl Jam too) were so great to so many people you have to understand they were...
To understand why A.i.c. Nirvana, all those Seattle bands Yes, (Pearl Jam too) were so great to so many people you have to understand they were coming to light at the tail end of one of the WORST periods of music history,..

That's right Hair bands ruled the roost, those stupid fucking bands like warrent, poison etc.. were blown out of the water by that heavy dark shit coming from dark wet Seattle winters.. What a breath of fresh air it was.. Its something younger listeners just don't get... Popular music was REALLY bad in the late 80's
There was all kinds of good stuff in the late 80's. Queensryche was right there in Seattle with them playing some pretty freaking good "hair band music".
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/23/2016 4:48pm
gabrielito wrote:
I guess you win the fan competition. That is awesome.
Thanks. Been a fan for 21 years. That's when I heard AIC's Dirt album for the first time.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/23/2016 4:49pm
rosebud441 wrote:
To understand why A.i.c. Nirvana, all those Seattle bands Yes, (Pearl Jam too) were so great to so many people you have to understand they were...

gabrielito wrote:
There was all kinds of good stuff in the late 80's. Queensryche was right there in Seattle with them playing some pretty freaking good "hair band...
There was all kinds of good stuff in the late 80's. Queensryche was right there in Seattle with them playing some pretty freaking good "hair band music".
Agreed. Operation mindcrime and Empire are very good albums.
vetmxr
8/23/2016 8:07pm
Man in the box hooked me.......I know everything they play from that time on.
MXD
8/24/2016 11:55am
gabrielito wrote:
RIP

By the time this was recorded, he had already started losing his teeth from the drugs. You can hear his lisp in some of his lyrics. Drugs ruined him long before he died. Here is the last know picture of him taken in late 98 about 3 years before his death. I can't imagine what he looked like when he died.

gabrielito
8/24/2016 12:23pm
Yeah, he was in pretty bad shape for quit some time. He lived a long time in seclusion using drugs and playing video games. He lived in a busy area by the University of Washington but hardly left his place. I guess one of the only places he would go was a Toys R Us nearby to buy more games. I think he always did it in the morning so people wouldn't notice him.
volcati
8/24/2016 1:42pm
MXD--That was in the studio with Elan Truillo and there's one at a Halloween party that is considered his very last photo.

APLMAN99
8/24/2016 10:43pm
gabrielito wrote:
Yeah, he was in pretty bad shape for quit some time. He lived a long time in seclusion using drugs and playing video games. He lived...
Yeah, he was in pretty bad shape for quit some time. He lived a long time in seclusion using drugs and playing video games. He lived in a busy area by the University of Washington but hardly left his place. I guess one of the only places he would go was a Toys R Us nearby to buy more games. I think he always did it in the morning so people wouldn't notice him.
I didn't realize that his "last place" was in the U District. I looked up the address and I actually drive by it all the time. Just drove by it today and had to look. Lot of distractions on that end of 45th back then......

Several months ago I was down on University with my son (student at UW). Could have swore that we passed Eddie Vedder walking up the street but we both decided that it was probably just a doppelgänger. Turns out that there was a birthday party for Mike McCready at the Neptune Theater on 45th that night. Just a few blocks from Staley's condo......
rosebud441
8/25/2016 8:20am
Its funny how so many of the seattle rockers stayed in seattle.. I guess it show most are actually real people.
MXD
8/25/2016 12:11pm
volcati wrote:
MXD--That was in the studio with Elan Truillo and there's one at a Halloween party that is considered his very last photo. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/24/148408/s1200_layne.jpg[/img]
MXD--That was in the studio with Elan Truillo and there's one at a Halloween party that is considered his very last photo.

Yes, you are correct. The photo I posted was around his birthday in 98 which would have been about 3 months earlier (one of the other pics from that series showed him blowing out candles on a cake). Either way, he looks dead in both pics. Barely recognizable.
gabrielito
8/25/2016 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 2:43pm
rosebud441 wrote:
Its funny how so many of the seattle rockers stayed in seattle.. I guess it show most are actually real people.
Same with athletes. It's because there is no state income tax and most people keep to themselves and don't bother celebrities much. Also it's just a great place to live though Seattle is being run into the ground so it probably won't be for much longer.
rosebud441
8/25/2016 3:23pm
That's why i moved as far north as possible..

Shit, i'm almost Canadian, In fact i haven't actually been to Seattle in years, if i get a itch for a city we go to Vancouver bc..

Post a reply to: Layne Staley

The Latest