Laws on Shoveling Snow? Help out a non-snow Person

KDXGarage
Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 4:30pm
I read an article that said the residents in a certain community had to shovel their sidewalks after snow storms. I live in Alabama, so I have not heard of such laws. What is the point on such a requirement??

Thank you.
|
ATKpilot99
11/28/2018 5:24am
Except in Texas where you can shoot someone for walking on your sidewalk Wink
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/28/2018 6:37am
So the sidewalk is still convenient and useable during the winter. More of a "in case the town wants to harass you they have a reason" type of law than a strict enforcement type.

Some states also have laws that your car must be fully cleaned off, nothing like a big ice plate flying off the roof of the car in front of you at 70 mph on the highway, but again more of a reason to stop and check you out kind of law.
71Fish
11/28/2018 6:37am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 6:39am
All I know is, I bought my wife a really nice snow shovel a few years ago but she has yet to use it.

The Shop

JPT
11/28/2018 7:05am
I like to walk my neighborhood, so do a lot of my neighbors. I clear my sidewalk, expect others to do the same. Not to mention mail delivery.
c0ncEpT
11/28/2018 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:13am
Depends on where you live I guess.

In Michigan there is no state law. Only city ordinances.

When I was 21 I worked in a warehouse and part of my job was to clear the snow. There was a city ordinance that said any business must have its sidewalk cleared within 48 hours. Its a quick money grab so they would drive around and issue citations after a storm.

If you don't clear your driveway or the sidewalk in front of your house you just look like a lazy inconsiderate pile of shit.
peelout
11/28/2018 8:13am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:16am
gotta shovel that fuckin shit bro, don't want kids walking down the road after a snow storm.

a few years ago we bought a commercial property that had 300 feet of sidewalk out the north side and south side, but there was a neighborhood to the direct west and the north road was in a neighborhood. we had to shovel both sidewalks, even though there was a privacy fence between the commercial property and the neighborhood. we didn't have access to the north road, so we had to drive around the block into the neighborhood to shovel that part of the sidewalk. not only that but the north sidewalk was directly behind the fence, so it iced up like a bitch. it was a total pain in the dick.
11/28/2018 8:21am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:22am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Depends on where you live I guess. In Michigan there is no state law. Only city ordinances. When I was 21 I worked in a warehouse...
Depends on where you live I guess.

In Michigan there is no state law. Only city ordinances.

When I was 21 I worked in a warehouse and part of my job was to clear the snow. There was a city ordinance that said any business must have its sidewalk cleared within 48 hours. Its a quick money grab so they would drive around and issue citations after a storm.

If you don't clear your driveway or the sidewalk in front of your house you just look like a lazy inconsiderate pile of shit.
What if you’re on vacation? Still a prick I guess. Just Jkn.
SEE ARE125
11/28/2018 8:29am
We don't get much snow either, but that seems odd. Here, the city owns 10ft or more on either side of the roadway, which is where most sidewalks are. So telling a homeowner to shovel a city owned sidewalk or pay the city a fine sounds ridiculous. If the city owns it, the city should shovel it. Obviously this probably isn't feasible due to a lack of manpower, and any decent homeowner should shovel the sidewalk in front of their house, but I just don't see how they can issue a fine for not doing it.
Ebs
11/28/2018 8:44am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:45am
I always figure its a public walkway, the city aint got time for that, and it's on your property whether you wanted it or not, so you get to clear it whether you want to or not.
c0ncEpT
11/28/2018 9:34am
What if you’re on vacation? Still a prick I guess. Just Jkn.
You make friends with your neighbors and kindly ask them if they would help you while your gone. In my neighborhood we're all friendly and help each other.
Boxvan446
11/28/2018 10:02am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
We don't get much snow either, but that seems odd. Here, the city owns 10ft or more on either side of the roadway, which is where...
We don't get much snow either, but that seems odd. Here, the city owns 10ft or more on either side of the roadway, which is where most sidewalks are. So telling a homeowner to shovel a city owned sidewalk or pay the city a fine sounds ridiculous. If the city owns it, the city should shovel it. Obviously this probably isn't feasible due to a lack of manpower, and any decent homeowner should shovel the sidewalk in front of their house, but I just don't see how they can issue a fine for not doing it.
In Wisconsin, that is the norm. You also have to "maintain" your sidewalk. Which means, if it heaves or cracks to hell you are responsible for replacement. They aren't as tough on that, but if you refuse to pay they just put it on your property tax roll for the year.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
11/28/2018 12:30pm
The snow turns to impossible-to-shovel ICE if you don't remove it pretty quickly...

Here in Denver the law states you have 24 hours after the snow stops to clear the sidewalk in front of your house.
Businesses have only 4 hours - and I think it is a good law. It can get really dangerous in places that aren't shoveled.

I usually like to do it immediately after a snow when it is still soft and fluffy. Much easier and safer.

The longer you wait the harder it is to remove and it gets really dangerous once it turns to hard ice!
Then you can't get rid of it until it melts on it's own.

Remove the snow quickly and there can be 10 inches everywhere, but the sidewalks will clear up in literally a few minutes under the heat of the sun. But the snow will stay on the grass for weeks sometimes.

I've had the mailman obviously skip my house because the sidewalk wasn't shoveled. It's not safe!

Example

11/28/2018 1:53pm
It's actually so the mobjlity restricted foks can still get around to do their shopping, visit the doctor, get to work etc. Also so the non limited can go jogging, walk fido, etc. Firemen need to access fire hydrants and basically the place needs to continue to function as normal. There is one idiot near me who winters in FL and never cleans snow and ice from the sidewalk, if we get a lot of snow it does screw up the works.
peelout
11/28/2018 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 3:10pm
disbanded wrote:
The snow turns to impossible-to-shovel ICE if you don't remove it pretty quickly... Here in Denver the law states you have 24 hours after the snow...
The snow turns to impossible-to-shovel ICE if you don't remove it pretty quickly...

Here in Denver the law states you have 24 hours after the snow stops to clear the sidewalk in front of your house.
Businesses have only 4 hours - and I think it is a good law. It can get really dangerous in places that aren't shoveled.

I usually like to do it immediately after a snow when it is still soft and fluffy. Much easier and safer.

The longer you wait the harder it is to remove and it gets really dangerous once it turns to hard ice!
Then you can't get rid of it until it melts on it's own.

Remove the snow quickly and there can be 10 inches everywhere, but the sidewalks will clear up in literally a few minutes under the heat of the sun. But the snow will stay on the grass for weeks sometimes.

I've had the mailman obviously skip my house because the sidewalk wasn't shoveled. It's not safe!

Example

how recent is that?

we're supposed to get snow tonight and a lot in the mountains. me and my dad are building new YZF snowbikes, hoping to put the finishing touches on them tonight.

also, most places around my town are no parking on the street in the winter. you got some balls parking the Ridgeline out there bro
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
11/28/2018 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 3:16pm
That was last February, not current.

Edit: I just saw your comment about no parking on the street during the winter. That would never work around here as almost everybody parks on the street. Most of the 'garages' are actually 100 year old carriage houses located on the alleys in central Denver. That's the wife's car though, I park my truck in the alley parking spot. But our vehicles are too tall for the 105 year old 'garage'.
Foghorn
11/28/2018 3:14pm
Yup, same here. 24 hours to clear it to the concrete. Salt works at times for the odd ice build up. Salt doesn't work in cold weather below -20C though. The city will clear it for you and send you the bill if you consistently don't do it yourself. My Honda snowblower saves a lot of work for driveway and sidewalks.
jeffro503
11/28/2018 3:36pm
Here in Oregon.....I pray for deep snow. I leave it deep , and video tape people eating shit in front of my house. And after , if they are not moving , it's a great way to snag a wallet or purse , and then have plenty of snow left , to bury them.

Stay off my side walk! Smile
plowboy
11/28/2018 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 5:44pm
Around here the city owns the sidewalk. They put it in. They want it cleaned...get after it. I got my own shit to take care of. Sorry. And I don't have mail delivery or paved roads and they never maintain the crappy heaved up sidewalks anyway.....shovel them...haha haha.
KDXGarage
11/28/2018 8:49pm
They have sidewalks in Alabama?
I thought I was coming on here just to ask a question about snow and sidewalks. I didn't know it was "try to be funny" time. OK, my turn I guess.

Yes, you guy that didn't get enough hugs from his two dads guy you, we have sidewalks. They don't look like these in your state:

11/28/2018 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 10:16pm
Your mailman should wear long Pants and boots.

Kdx your mailman should wear chainmail and a gas mask.
CM_84
11/28/2018 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 10:56pm
The city I live in cleans the sidewalks, Owners / tenants are responsible for driveways.
KDXGarage
11/28/2018 11:40pm
Your mailman should wear long Pants and boots.

Kdx your mailman should wear chainmail and a gas mask.
I am on here to try to learn from people who know about sidewalk snow shoveling laws. I didn't ask what kind of clothes and PPE my local carrier should wear. Your posts are usually sensible. I am nnot sure on this one. As best I can tell, you were trying to be funny. Here is what I heard when my computer read it aloud:

11/29/2018 3:54am
I think where I live you don’t have to shovel, but once you do shovel, you have to maintain your driveways and walkways. STL. I hate snow. I work in apartment maintenance and take care of my bosses properties and my own two rentals. My day starts early and ends late.
ns503
11/29/2018 4:08am
Straight from our Public Highways Act:

Duty of male to shovel snow on highway

34 (1) All physically fit male persons between the ages of sixteen and sixty, residing within every such section or division, are required to work with their shovels on the highways during the winter whenever the highways become impassable from snow, but persons actually in regular attendance at any public school are not, during school hours, required to work under this Section.

(2) If a person does not attend for work in accordance with subsection (1), the overseer shall order him to attend for that work either forthwith or at any time or hour of the day that the overseer designates.

(3) Every person ordered to attend for work shall

(a) attend for work and work as aforesaid;

(b) provide a competent person to work and who shall work in his place; or

(c) pay to the overseer on the day on which he is ordered to work a tax of five dollars for the use of the municipality.

(4) The overseer shall expend any sum paid to him under clause (c) of subsection (3) for the purpose of removing the snow from the highway and making it passable, and shall account to the municipality for all sums so received and expended.

(5) An order of the overseer shall be sufficiently communicated if delivered or given, verbally or in writing, at the usual place of residence of the person, to some inmate thereof apparently not under sixteen years of age.

(6) If any person ordered under this Section to attend for work fails to comply with this Section, he is liable to a penalty of not less than five dollars nor more than ten dollars, and in default of payment thereof to imprisonment for not more than ten days. R.S., c. 371, s. 34.

Of course, that never happens and is an ancient section of the Act, but it is still there - Acts are pretty slow to get revised here sometimes....
KDXGarage
11/29/2018 4:32am
disbanded, the last time it snowed that much here, we called it "The Blizzard of '93". If any weather person says the word "snow", all loaf bread and milk vanish from the grocery stores. Last winter, it snowed one time. It was 2.5". That is why I know nothing of snow shoveling laws.

11/29/2018 6:26am
Really where I live People just ride snowmobiles on the sidewalk if there is one....
Beeby
11/29/2018 6:51am
Chicago has very specific rules on this read here

"You must shovel snow as soon as possible after it falls. Snow that falls between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm must be removed no later than 10:00 pm. Snow that falls between the hours of 7:00 pm and 7:00 am must be removed by 10:00 am."

What gets me is that so many people don't follow it. It makes it pretty tricky to walk around. What I also don't get is the city doesn't clear all its sidewalks. Outside public parks and offices they do, but what about the sidewalk over a river bridge near my house that is sloped and lethal at the moment?

Post a reply to: Laws on Shoveling Snow? Help out a non-snow Person

The Latest