Last person born in the 19th century dies at 117

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2018 4:04 PM

Two world wars, the nuclear age, space travel, the internet; she got to experience some major events in human history.

Last person born in the 19th century

|

4/24/2018 8:30 AM

Pretty cool. Stories like this make you think.
Would you want to live that long?
If you could live forever would you?
I suppose health and circumstances would play a big role in those decisions for most.

|

4/24/2018 8:36 AM

I was also thinking about all the changes and major events someone of that age has witnessed.

|

4/24/2018 9:17 AM

My grandma didn't live to see a hundred but growing up we always thought that she would make it to 100. She was born in 1919, had open heart surgery when she was in her 80's and lived to 94 years of age. Pretty amazing.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/24/2018 9:26 AM

Interesting, I agree it makes you think.

It's very possible that people born now (or a few yrs ago) could end up living an "infinite" lifespan as the technology accelerates over the next decades. Transferring a human consciousness into a microchip etc is something that'll very likely come at some point. Want to be a humanoid that can leap over 10ft walls - let us plug you into this new body. Perhaps swap over as a mechanical Dolphin if you're going swimming for the day etc... The future has the potential to be truly bizarre.

|

4/24/2018 9:37 AM

It would kinda suck to watch technology evolve around you and know you can't benefit from it when you're that old and frail though. Like I highly doubt she'd be dancing around the room playing on a PS VR.

I wouldn't like to be that old, more so due to the fact she'd more than likely seen a hellova lot of loved ones pass away while she's was still chugging on at that age.

|

4/24/2018 10:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2018 10:45 AM

That's the worst part, Grant. You probably get to witness your children dying. sad
No thanks.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/24/2018 11:26 AM

Motocross83 wrote:

It's very possible that people born now (or a few yrs ago) could end up living an ...more

Yep very possible, and something that is very likely to come to pass soon. Consider the possibility that the captured consciousness of a loved one that is terminally ill or has passed away could be transferred into some form of technology (think Alexa or Siri like, or even Sophia). People would be standing in line to sign up. Think of all the healthcare, employment, income, food supply, etc. problems this type of eternal life could solve. But would that really be them living forever or simply a counterfeit of there-self? Perhaps this would actually be a total destruction of humanity Also when considering biblical prophesy in light of the times we are living in, these ideas become very interesting to me
Revelation 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

|

4/24/2018 12:23 PM

My great , great grandma was the oldest living resident in WA state up to about 15 years ago before she died. Was 104 years old , and about 2 months shy of her 105th birthday. She out lived her 4 kids as well.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Ezza is Da man!

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

4/24/2018 2:35 PM

Motocross83 wrote:

It's very possible that people born now (or a few yrs ago) could end up living an ...more

hard2kill wrote:

Yep very possible, and something that is very likely to come to pass soon. Consider the possibility that the captured ...more

I read a really good sci-fi story about this recently:

People live until their 18th birthday, when their consciousnesses are "transferred" to a perfect, genetically engineered body. The only problem is that once the transfer is complete, there are two copies of the consciousness and the new body must kill the old one, which is still alive and aware.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/24/2018 4:28 PM

My Great Grandma lived to 103. Moved from Tennessee to Oklahoma in a covered wagon. Gave birth to my Grandpa on the trip (her 6th kid). She said he weighed 12 pounds and "fell out". She slept on a feather bed, ate bacon and eggs every morning, dipped Garrett snuff all day long, mowed her own grass, and took no shit from anyone. She was tough as a boot and sharp as a razor till the day she died.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

4/24/2018 4:42 PM

I don't know, the whole idea of living forever freaks me out. To me, nature intended animals (including us) to live, then die, and become nutrients to the planet which can then create more life through plants, etc. I mean look at how we use dinosaurs today, our lives literally depend on what they've provided. When you start messing with the happenings and laws of nature things will go badly, because as much as we want to believe we are advanced and impervious to extinction, we are still at the whim of nature. I don't think anyone or anything is important enough to warrant breaking that cycle, not me, not anyone I know, nor anyone in my family, as tough as it is to accept since we all wish loved ones could stay forever. Life depends on balance and I don't like the idea of playing God and upsetting the natural balance of the world.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

4/24/2018 9:30 PM

It’s a lonely time. My relative lived to 100 and I think 4 days. She seemed so well ok her 100th birthday but she said everyone she grew up with was gone, her family had their own lives, she was going to see 100 but she didn’t know what all the fuss was about because it’s just another birthday and she was going to go. And she did.

Funniest thing for me when the my brought a cake out for her and people sang happy birthday she whispered to me “this damn song again”. Ha ha

|

4/25/2018 5:20 AM

Technology has advanced so much in the last 20 years as far as living forever and even just having a better quality life at the end of it. I think the most important thing to me is being able to have the best quality of life when I'm that age. I don't want to be a nuisance to my loved ones. I want to be able to take care of myself until it's my time to pass. This podcast really shows the promise in stem cell research and I think it's completely bullshit that agencies out there are trying to put a halt on it. Mostly to benefit themselves I'm sure. I can also guarantee there's a cure out there for cancer, but as sad as it is to say, it keeps the health care industry raking in money.

|

4/25/2018 6:35 AM

Falcon wrote:

I read a really good sci-fi story about this recently:

People live until their 18th birthday, when their consciousnesses are ...more

I can't really see that type of scenario playing out, although who knows. Like you said it is sci-fi, but sci-fi is almost a false term today and really just represents the scientific "possibilities" in many cases.

Rather than two separate beings (the human and humanoid) I think it is more likely that we might be able to receive some type of "transplant" that essentially does away with the human brain and blood, effectively killing the soul if you will, while maintaining consciousness through the body. Again in light of biblical prophesy this type of situation would seem to prevent God from granting such a being eternal life, as the bible teaches it is through the soul, or spirit that eternal life is given from God. While Revelation teaches that anyone who receives the mark of the beast will be eternally separated from God.

|