Laptop Charger ?'s

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 12:18pm
My charger went out. It's a 19v 3.4 amp charger. I can get my hand s on a 19v 6.3amp charger. Am I going to hurt anything or will it just charger up quicker?
Thanks
|
txmxer
10/10/2010 9:26am
Might be ok, but, you have to be careful. The higher rated charger will probably charge quicker, but that will mean a lot more heat which is what kills electronics and probably what killed your original charger.

Ideally you want to charge your laptop sitting on a hard flat surface for heat dissipation or even a laptop cooler and you want the charger sitting in a spot with full air flow.
SteveS
10/10/2010 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2010 12:34pm
You do know that the charger won't supply more current than the device attached to it demands, no? Think about it. You have two batteries. One is a behemoth 750 CCA model car battery. The other is a 12 volt lantern battery. Connect a small radio which operates at 12V @ 0.25 A to it, and each battery will supply 12 V @ 0.25 A. The car battery will not blow up the radio.
tunedlength
10/10/2010 2:33pm
Battery acts like a sponge (or more exact like a capacitor). it will try and absorb what ever you give it.. plug the battery into 100 amp source and watch what happens..Oh and by the way RUN!

The Shop

SteveS
10/10/2010 2:40pm
From the item page of a supplier of 19v laptop chargers:

"How Many Amps Are Too Many?

In a regulated power supply, such as these switchmode power supplies, amps don't matter as long as you have enough. Excess amperage is just held in reserve. An analogy is "doubling the size of your water heater won't make your shower pressure change."

Unregulated power supplies (such as wall-mount transformers) are different, since they are built to supply a specific voltage at a specific amperage. If you draw less amperage the voltage will go up.

In conclusion, a higher current rating won't hurt your appliance as long it is a regulated power supply. For unregulated power supplies the specification should be close to the original."
zjbell
10/10/2010 2:51pm
You sure it's the charger and not the connector in the computer?
Cygnus
10/10/2010 2:53pm
zjbell wrote:
You sure it's the charger and not the connector in the computer?

I always check Ebay first for shit like this.
captmoto
10/11/2010 4:52pm
Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm using a 19v 6.3a charger and it is way cooler than the stocker ever was. The most info I got said higher amperage was ok, lower is not. the higher amperage is only there for the demand. So with a regulated battery and a 3.95A , 75w demand I'm O.K.
Thanks again.
Sondy132001
6/7/2011 9:54am
I use lap tops at all my races, for Trackside, and all my chargers get worked, so I bought all of them at Amazon.com for a fraction of the cost and they are the right chargers for each laptop. Trust me I fried a laptop a few years back using the wrong charger, it caught on fire too haha

S
captmoto
6/7/2011 1:25pm
I use lap tops at all my races, for Trackside, and all my chargers get worked, so I bought all of them at Amazon.com for a...
I use lap tops at all my races, for Trackside, and all my chargers get worked, so I bought all of them at Amazon.com for a fraction of the cost and they are the right chargers for each laptop. Trust me I fried a laptop a few years back using the wrong charger, it caught on fire too haha

S
Wow, you must have digging deep to find this post. Thanks for your reply. I have been using a charger from a local Ebay seller. It's lasted longer than the original Toshiba charger. I also recently added a 9 cell battery so it's all good. A 3y/o cheapie computer with no issues at all.
Sondy132001
6/7/2011 2:08pm
I use lap tops at all my races, for Trackside, and all my chargers get worked, so I bought all of them at Amazon.com for a...

S
captmoto wrote:
Wow, you must have digging deep to find this post. Thanks for your reply. I have been using a charger from a local Ebay seller. It's...
Wow, you must have digging deep to find this post. Thanks for your reply. I have been using a charger from a local Ebay seller. It's lasted longer than the original Toshiba charger. I also recently added a 9 cell battery so it's all good. A 3y/o cheapie computer with no issues at all.
hahaha no it was on the 1st page here, didn't even see the date...oops lol

S
Void Main
6/7/2011 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2011 2:53pm

S
captmoto wrote:
Wow, you must have digging deep to find this post. Thanks for your reply. I have been using a charger from a local Ebay seller. It's...

S
Actually there was a spammer that drudged up several old laptop threads and that spammer has since been removed (along with the messages he posted today), so it looks like you drudged up the thread. Smile I do the same thing you do though. I get the part number off my power supply and punch it into Amazon and click the easy button. Smile
Sondy132001
6/7/2011 3:27pm
captmoto wrote:

S
Void Main wrote:
Actually there was a spammer that drudged up several old laptop threads and that spammer has since been removed (along with the messages he posted today)...
Actually there was a spammer that drudged up several old laptop threads and that spammer has since been removed (along with the messages he posted today), so it looks like you drudged up the thread. Smile I do the same thing you do though. I get the part number off my power supply and punch it into Amazon and click the easy button. Smile
Right on thanks for cluing me in I thought I was crazy haha

S

Post a reply to: Laptop Charger ?'s

The Latest