Land Rovers

Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
Anybody out there have some info or opinions on Land Rovers? I’ve looked at some in the past and I’ve heard bad things about them. My sister has a ‘13 Cadillac SRX and is looking at 2 different ‘13 Land Rover LR2 HSE’s. I told her I would stay clear, but I figured someone on the forum might have some good input so I can offer her better insight
|
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/21/2018 2:54pm
I rented the sport hybrid edition in Colorado. Wasn't really impressed with the handling or engine characteristics. Seemed like it had a hesitation almost like it had to think about the next gear each time. I liked the x5 BMW I also rented there better but not a lot but similar vehicles. This probably doesn't help but yea. Wink
newmann
9/21/2018 4:06pm
Land Rover? Unless you have money to burn, find something else. They tank in value. Otherwise, buy new and be rid of it by the time the warranty is gone. They sure have some pretty stuff.

About the X5, that $85,000.00 turbo V8 will fetch $16,000.00 trade in value at five years old and 79000 miles. It is a maintenance hog with oil and coolant leaks galore. Ask me how I know...lol
Foghorn
9/21/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 4:15pm
Had two Discoverys in the past. Nice capable, comfortable vehicles but I'd never have another one. Always something wrong and of course, not covered. The only reason I had two was that there was a roof leak somewhere on the first one that they couldn't fix, even after changing all the rubber etc. so they replaced it. The second one developed a rad leak right after the warranty ran out. They wanted 5k for a new rad. I threw in some Bars Leaks and sold it. Bought my wife an FJ Cruiser after that and never looked back. As Newmann said, the value tanks fast so if you really want one, buy used and then prepare for $1200 or so every time they do an oil change for you and find something else wrong.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
9/21/2018 4:42pm
FLmxer wrote:
I rented the sport hybrid edition in Colorado. Wasn't really impressed with the handling or engine characteristics. Seemed like it had a hesitation almost like it...
I rented the sport hybrid edition in Colorado. Wasn't really impressed with the handling or engine characteristics. Seemed like it had a hesitation almost like it had to think about the next gear each time. I liked the x5 BMW I also rented there better but not a lot but similar vehicles. This probably doesn't help but yea. Wink
Lol hey man, your input is as valuable as the next guy’s-I enjoy reading everyone’s contributions whenever I make a thread! ??
I could understand that tho, I’ve never heard of Land Rovers being well known for their performance. Luxury/style and capability are their trademark imo

The Shop

Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
9/21/2018 4:46pm
Foghorn wrote:
Had two Discoverys in the past. Nice capable, comfortable vehicles but I'd never have another one. Always something wrong and of course, not covered. The only...
Had two Discoverys in the past. Nice capable, comfortable vehicles but I'd never have another one. Always something wrong and of course, not covered. The only reason I had two was that there was a roof leak somewhere on the first one that they couldn't fix, even after changing all the rubber etc. so they replaced it. The second one developed a rad leak right after the warranty ran out. They wanted 5k for a new rad. I threw in some Bars Leaks and sold it. Bought my wife an FJ Cruiser after that and never looked back. As Newmann said, the value tanks fast so if you really want one, buy used and then prepare for $1200 or so every time they do an oil change for you and find something else wrong.
My dad’s friend had a Discovery and it was problematic and expensive..his other friend’s son had one behind their garage because it had problems with the transmission and leaks, etc.. I didn’t know if it was coincidence, or maybe the early 2000’s weren’t good years or something.

I told her the resale is pretty bad. Like I said, the 2 she’s looking at are used ‘13s for about $18k
Foghorn
9/21/2018 4:56pm
I'd love an old Defender though. Big bucks for one in good condition.
Ebs
9/21/2018 5:06pm
90% of Land Rovers are still on the road today, the other 10% got to where their owners were trying to go.
Robgvx
9/22/2018 4:23am
I had an old Series III. I got it stuck on a slight grassy incline not long after I bought it. Primitive but still kinda cool.

One time I was driving through heavy rain. There were big puddles everywhere and the water was splashing up over the hood and windscreen. The tiny wipers were working overtime and I thought I was in the Dakar Rally.

Then I hit one puddle particularly hard. The water blew the shifter gaitor out of the floor and the whole inside of the vehicle, including me, got soaked!
MR. X
9/22/2018 4:29am
My buddy and his wife bought a 2 door evoke , apparently nobody wants 2 doors .The dealer had it buried as deep as he could in storage from pack of interest but gave them a screening deal when they bought. They've had it for a few years now with no issues.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/22/2018 6:47am
Can’t offer input on the land rovers other than hearing how bad they are. Beautiful vehicle though and I see a ton of them on the road here n San Diego county.

We had a Audi Q7 for a few years and loved it. A good friend has a Q5 and is very happy with it. Not sure what year she would afford n her price range but it may be worth looking Into. We had a X5 for a couple years but weren’t happy with it. Handled great for a SUV and the power was decent but when I’m n a SUV I want comfort and I thought it was a way too stiff
huck
9/22/2018 7:31am
I've had a few...here is my update on the last 2 I have owned...

2007 Range Rover HSE - Bought in 2009 with 60,000 miles. Currently own it and it has 193,000 miles. It's been a tank. It's been in 2 wrecks with Toyotas. Both were totaled and the RR drove away from both with minor damage. Had it in a creek over the hood right after I first got it while off-roading. Other than normal wear and tear, haven't had any issues at all with it. One of the best long term vehicles I've owned. Almost 200,000 miles and the leather still looks fairly new. Hell, my GMC had 11,000 on it and it looked worse.

2011 Range Rover HSE - Bought in 2015 with 35,000 miles. Sold it in 2018 with 55,000 miles... Was in the shop 6-7 months of the time I owned it. Luckily it had the CPO warranty...as they had to replace the engine, finally. If I had to replace it out of pocket, it would have been over $28,000! Had numerous problems with it...from air bag (suspension) to brakes to every warning light there is.

A good friend of mine has a brand new full sized with the turbo motor. Thing is amazing. But for over $100k, it should be.

I believe mobile homes hold their value better than a Range Rover.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
9/22/2018 8:18am
As a Toyota Owner, I cannot fathom how people come to that decision to spend so much money on a car that's just "Pretty."

Don't you want it to, you know. Drive and go places?
at687
9/22/2018 10:42am
I have 2015 range rover sport autobiography as a daily and it has been great. Bought it new and has 85k miles on it. No issues other than stopping at gas stations every 2 days and front brake pads going out every 8k-12k . I drive it hard and sounds great and is comfortable.

I believe they changed a lot of the electronics in 2014 so most of the issues relating to electronic, and air suspension went away. My wife has an evoque but can't really talk reliably since it only has 1,200 miles on it since 2017
rucka356
9/22/2018 11:21am
My neighbors discovery was a pile

Post a reply to: Land Rovers

The Latest