Knee Surgery

GoYamaha
Looking for info from people who have had knee surgery and how their process went and how their recovery is going. Just found I tore my ACL and Meniscus. Thanks in advance, Ryan
|
TXDirt
8/30/2018 4:20pm
Do a search on this forum,. Plenty of info....
newmann
8/30/2018 5:00pm
Had my ACL done back in 1993. Biggest complaint from me was that they split me open right down the middle and the scar over the kneecap 25 years later still can be a bit sensitive. I’m sure things have progressed a bit over the years but having that scar an inch to the side would have been a blessing.Pinch
hillbilly
8/30/2018 5:46pm
newmann wrote:
Had my ACL done back in 1993. Biggest complaint from me was that they split me open right down the middle and the scar over the...
Had my ACL done back in 1993. Biggest complaint from me was that they split me open right down the middle and the scar over the kneecap 25 years later still can be a bit sensitive. I’m sure things have progressed a bit over the years but having that scar an inch to the side would have been a blessing.Pinch
Mine the same14 inch slice,partly to get the new acl from the patella tendon but to also peel the hide back to see and fix what all was fubar .

My leg was just swinging by the skin,I could bend it any direction.

Stuck my boot in mud at speed and it stayed while the rest of me went on,popped them all.

In 92 the aids thing had me deciding to use my tissue.

Still in tight.

The recovery is up to how much you can take. It hurts to get the leg strong

There were people in rehab when I got there and the same there when I left because they couldn't take the pain of getting the scar tissue broke down and range of motion back.

Nowadays they get back much quicker.
newmann
8/30/2018 6:21pm
newmann wrote:
Had my ACL done back in 1993. Biggest complaint from me was that they split me open right down the middle and the scar over the...
hillbilly wrote:
Mine the same14 inch slice,partly to get the new acl from the patella tendon but to also peel the hide back to see and fix what...
Mine the same14 inch slice,partly to get the new acl from the patella tendon but to also peel the hide back to see and fix what all was fubar .

My leg was just swinging by the skin,I could bend it any direction.

Stuck my boot in mud at speed and it stayed while the rest of me went on,popped them all.

In 92 the aids thing had me deciding to use my tissue.

Still in tight.

The recovery is up to how much you can take. It hurts to get the leg strong

There were people in rehab when I got there and the same there when I left because they couldn't take the pain of getting the scar tissue broke down and range of motion back.

Nowadays they get back much quicker.
Good stuff Hillbilly. I got out of the hospital Thursday evening and was back at work on Monday with my newly reconstructed knee, two broken toes, a full slab of bruised ribs and a screwed together clavicle (which had fallen apart after surgery) and would grab 45 minutes of PT during my lunch hour. Some union refinery worker who had blown his ACL playing softball saw how fucked up I was at therapy one day and asked me how long I was going to be off work. He had been off work 90 days and had 90 more before he was going back. I may or may not have looked at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead when I told him I only missed four days. People take shit for granted I guess. Six months post injury, I pulled off three firsts and a second at an AHRMA national weekend, my first time back on a bike. Brain goes straight to stupid when the gate drops....good times!

The Shop

8/31/2018 10:27am
I’ve had both ACL’s replaced, one in 2014 and one in 2017. My advice is find the best doctor you can, it does make a difference.
GoYamaha
10/1/2018 4:27pm
So just a small update. I had Arthroscopic Patella Graph and mild Meniscus surgery on the 27th of last month. I am 3 days out from surgery and cant find a negative thing to say yet. I have found a really good surgeon in my area and I was admitted to the hospital at 10 am and out by 6 pm. Would have been sooner but had a small issue once I woke up from anesthesia.

Getting Ready for Surgery:
I was lucky enough while I was getting ready for surgery we opted for a "cortisone" type shot to block my back half of nerves on my right leg that wore off in about 24 hours. I also had a Pain Block "IV Pump" catheter thing inserted into a nerve on top of my thigh. Those were the best things I could of asked for by miles. I was able to keep the IV Pain Block in for 50 ish hours and then the bag for the pump emptied.

Surgery went really well and I woke up about an hour after they wheeled me into a room. This is where things went sideways. I have never really had any issues with anything as I am not allergic to anything that I know of. Unfortunatly when I woke up I had a hard time breathing and the pain was unbearable. My BP was 164/100 at one point. Long story short was my body reacts and doesnt "accept" Morphine. After many trys they had to get someone who could reccomend a substitute. Took about an hour and 10 or so trys to find something that helped and lowered my BP.

Once I got home I slept for quite a while and ate crackers (alot of them). Day 2 was alot of soreness but no real pain. Today the IV Pain Block was removed with no discomfort at all. Had the knee locked in a brace 100% straight so far. I also had my first day of PT and was surprised on how great the team was. I cant do weight yet but I can do range training. I managed to push my self and get to 90 degrees today for 10 second intervals. Hoping everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Thought I would share my experience.
Ryan
rpoint116
10/2/2018 9:25pm
That IV pump rocks!! Had my medial miniscus repaired 15 years ago. 6 week recovery. They were going to remove it but found out it was repairable. If they removed it, it would have healed faster.

Now that I’m older, after a good day of skiing or hiking it aches somewhat.
GoYamaha
11/10/2018 9:38pm
Just a quick update. Just over 6 weeks from surgery, and have done PT for 3 days a week, made great progress and have started running and have been released to do everything but riding. Monday is another check with the surgeon and hoping he will allow me to start riding within a month or so. Made tremendous progress and cant believe how far I have come in so short of time.
GoYamaha
11/10/2018 9:40pm
Ohhh and I have been fortunate and have had no pain or discomfort what so ever since week 3 out of surgery. Been told not to twist the knee and especially do not squat and twist. Only thing I haven't checked on yet.
GoYamaha
11/11/2018 7:03am
No I wasn't at the time. I had a injury in 2014 that was similar and I wore Asterisk's for a bit but the bulkiness made it so I stopped wearing them. Wish I was wearing something though. I have a set on the way!!!

Post a reply to: Knee Surgery

The Latest