King of the Baggers race at Laguna Seca

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2020 11:54 AM

Now THIS is something different... never thought I'd see full fairing baggers dropping down the Laguna corkscrew.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


10/26/2020 1:23 PM

A circus act. They also had a bearded lady exhibit in the pits.

|

10/26/2020 1:45 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

A circus act. They also had a bearded lady exhibit in the pits.

I mean you have to admit its pretty impressive how fast they were able to make those pigs go.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


10/26/2020 2:09 PM

Yea I couldn't believe it when they announced it months ago....

But it's a CRAZY WORLD we live in today and desperate times call for desperate measures.

With the change of Management at Seca earlier this year, Covid hit and WSBK PULLED OUT they were desperate for fans and this is the result.

Better than nothing I suppose and if it keeps the track and Motoamerica running I'm all for it!

|

10/26/2020 3:40 PM

If they really want to race baggers, they should have to start the race with the lowest part of the saddlebags no more than 5" from the pavement, and finish with no more than 6" of from the pavement........!!!!

|

10/26/2020 7:11 PM

I was hopin Herrin was gonna do better in that one.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/26/2020 7:57 PM

The “FX” chassis they use, has more in common with a Norton Commando than any other Harley. FXR was a stripped down bagger with more rake.

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

10/26/2020 9:23 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

I was hopin Herrin was gonna do better in that one.

Yea I saw him in practice and thought he would be going better, but I can only imagine what was going through his head....unsure

|

10/27/2020 8:46 AM

G-man wrote:

Yea I saw him in practice and thought he would be going better, but I can only imagine what was going through his head....unsure

Guessing something along the lines of "My god what a piece of shit this thing is"

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


10/27/2020 10:43 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

A circus act. They also had a bearded lady exhibit in the pits.

Yes a circus act that drew huge attention and big names. Lots of companies invested heavily in the development of these bikes.

By all metrics it was a MASSIVE success and was great for the sport

|

10/27/2020 11:33 AM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

A circus act. They also had a bearded lady exhibit in the pits.

zehn wrote:

Yes a circus act that drew huge attention and big names. Lots of companies invested heavily in the development of these bikes.

By all metrics it was a MASSIVE success and was great for the sport

I hope they have potato sack races next year. That should draw a crowd as well.

|

10/27/2020 11:38 AM

This popped up on my Google as it knows I'm a fan of Wayne Rainey and Motoamerica. smile

https://jalopnik.com/betting-big-on-baggers-proves-motoamerica-is-serious-ab-1845487642

Void,
Serious question as you and a few others seem to think of MotoAmerica as a joke.
Would you want them to go away and with it American Roadracing?

|

10/27/2020 11:40 AM

I never said MotoAmerica is a joke. I have several friends who race MotoAmerica. I just think this one event is a joke. It's like having all the Indy car racers do a demolition derby in the infield the day before the Indy 500.

|

10/27/2020 11:47 AM

They are trying to attract new fans which means more $$ more venues, TV, and Racers competing which will help our top guys get to Europe which it has done for 3 guys.

Did you read the article? American RR was on Death's doorstep.

How can attracting more fans and dough be a bad thing?

|

10/27/2020 12:09 PM

I'm very familiar with how MotoAmerica is on death's doorstep. It was on death's doorstep when the AMA gave it up. I just think the bagger race is a joke. Yes, turning it into a circus will attract more attention for sure but you shouldn't have to bring out clowns to make it work. It's just my opinion. Obviously not a popular one.

|

10/27/2020 12:18 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I'm very familiar with how MotoAmerica is on death's doorstep. It was on death's doorstep when the AMA gave it up. I just think the bagger race is a joke. Yes, turning it into a circus will attract more attention for sure but you shouldn't have to bring out clowns to make it work. It's just my opinion. Obviously not a popular one.

I didn't say "MotoAmerica was on Death's doorstep". If you read the article they have really turned it around from when the AMA and DMG drove it into the ground.

Yes you're entitled to your opinion but as we both know American RR is not what it once was with popularity so they have had to resort to other means. Did you see where Wayne was going to have a Hillclimb event at Laguna! w00t

Your Indy comparison does not hold water. There is so much more $$ involved in that series.

|

10/27/2020 12:26 PM

G-man wrote:

I didn't say "MotoAmerica was on Death's doorstep". If you read the article they have really turned it around from when the AMA and DMG drove it into the ground.

Yes you're entitled to your opinion but as we both know American RR is not what it once was with popularity so they have had to resort to other means. Did you see where Wayne was going to have a Hillclimb event at Laguna! w00t

Your Indy comparison does not hold water. There is so much more $$ involved in that series.

I was really hoping I was going to get invited to that hillclimb event, my friend was putting it on pinch

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



10/27/2020 12:39 PM

I used to do a little hillclimbing (D17).

|

10/27/2020 1:39 PM

So, if im reading this right. Quad racing is to motocross what the KOTB race is to road racing?

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


10/27/2020 2:54 PM

That's basically it. There's a place for all of them, just not together. Marc Marquez and some of the other guys race the flat track. But, I don't want to watch him do it at a MotoGP event prior to the main race. They should have full focus on their primary mission. Again, just my personal opinion. I realize many people would LOVE to see them all line up for a flat track race prior to the main event.

|

10/27/2020 3:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 3:01 PM

bh84 wrote:

So, if im reading this right. Quad racing is to motocross what the KOTB race is to road racing?

I’d say pit bike races.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

10/27/2020 3:15 PM

bh84 wrote:

So, if im reading this right. Quad racing is to motocross what the KOTB race is to road racing?

I do believe the most important piece that we can all agree on here is that:

Humans will race ANYTHING.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/27/2020 3:26 PM

By the way, I've been pushing to get a bagger class together in my race club. My bagger:

Photo

|

10/27/2020 4:26 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

That's basically it. There's a place for all of them, just not together. Marc Marquez and some of the other guys race the flat track. But, I don't want to watch him do it at a MotoGP event prior to the main race. They should have full focus on their primary mission. Again, just my personal opinion. I realize many people would LOVE to see them all line up for a flat track race prior to the main event.

Kind of like the old Grand National stuff? Didn't a few stops have a couple of different types of racing? I thought that a few might have had a TT on one day, then either a RR or an FT the next.

Been a long time, though, and I didn't really follow it that closely.

|

10/27/2020 4:30 PM

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

10/27/2020 4:54 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

By the way, I've been pushing to get a bagger class together in my race club. My bagger:

Photo

Hey I have a Bagger, it's a Wheelie Machine! w00t

Photo

|

10/27/2020 5:36 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

That's basically it. There's a place for all of them, just not together. Marc Marquez and some of the other guys race the flat track. But, I don't want to watch him do it at a MotoGP event prior to the main race. They should have full focus on their primary mission. Again, just my personal opinion. I realize many people would LOVE to see them all line up for a flat track race prior to the main event.

APLMAN99 wrote:

Kind of like the old Grand National stuff? Didn't a few stops have a couple of different types of racing? I thought that a few might have had a TT on one day, then either a RR or an FT the next.

Been a long time, though, and I didn't really follow it that closely.

Yeah, the grand national stuff was fine because it really was about the all around best rider and they were all on proper race bikes.

|

10/27/2020 6:06 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

By the way, I've been pushing to get a bagger class together in my race club. My bagger:

Photo

G-man wrote:

Hey I have a Bagger, it's a Wheelie Machine! w00t

Photo

I have a wheelie bagger too. Didn't have my bags on here though. smile

Photo

|

10/28/2020 7:55 AM

I was certainly more interested in this than I was the actual super bike race..

-former Ducati employee

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

10/28/2020 9:35 AM

Nohomo, but I watched some GNCC quad clips from Ironman, and it looks like a damn good time.

|