Kids that call their dad "sir"

MR. X
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2016 7:17am
I've seen it a few times on hunting shows where the kid is in the field with their dad and always address them as "sir" Is this a regional thing ? I know before i was alive it used to be the norm to address adults by sir or mam but in my area of the country ,i never hear it.
|
hvaughn88
5/1/2016 9:17am
MR. X wrote:
I've seen it a few times on hunting shows where the kid is in the field with their dad and always address them as "sir" Is...
I've seen it a few times on hunting shows where the kid is in the field with their dad and always address them as "sir" Is this a regional thing ? I know before i was alive it used to be the norm to address adults by sir or mam but in my area of the country ,i never hear it.
You definitely hear it here
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/1/2016 9:27am
It's even regional inside a region. I use to work at the kroger in Rome Ga. Most customers didn't say anything about my "sir and maam" but every once in awhile I'd get the wealthier people who find that disrespectful. Usually it's middle aged women who would fuss, and that applies to just about anything. Prices, lines, parking, weather, other customers, lighting, lack of buggies (or the style), really anything.
But there's some men who don't like it either.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/1/2016 9:56am
My parents thought about making me call them sir and ma'am for a while, but it didn't last long.

It's about respect, respecting your parents and elders. Simple as that...

It was just too formal for our family, especially since my dad was seemingly always running around the house farting and cussing like a maniac!
5/1/2016 10:41am
Personally I don't think you can install respect via such a crude method and have always found the concept weird (especially since we don't do that over here). The easiest way to gain respect and raise a good person is to surely get to know each other as real human beings.

The Shop

Hut
5/1/2016 11:02am
Personally I don't think you can install respect via such a crude method and have always found the concept weird (especially since we don't do that...
Personally I don't think you can install respect via such a crude method and have always found the concept weird (especially since we don't do that over here). The easiest way to gain respect and raise a good person is to surely get to know each other as real human beings.
Yep!
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/1/2016 11:24am
Personally I don't think you can install respect via such a crude method and have always found the concept weird (especially since we don't do that...
I mostly agree. The addition of those words didn't make me respect my parents any more or less.
That's why we quit doing it after a few days. It's a tactic that works with some people, definitely not for everybody.

It's pretty common in Northeast Texas... Like half the people I grew up with had to call they're parents sir and ma'am.
It might actually have a little more to do with being southern-style polite than being respectful.
Mini Elsinore
5/1/2016 11:33am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 11:36am
I'm a grown ass man and I still refer to folks as "sir" and "ma'am." And, I for damn sure say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" to my parents (blessed to still have them both alive in their late 80's.)
I'm frequently complimented on it---although I do get asked if I have a military background (I don't, but my Dad did).
If someone gets offended because I offered respect, then fuck 'em---they cannot steal my happiness. Tongue
MR. X
5/1/2016 11:42am
I'm a grown ass man and I still refer to folks as "sir" and "ma'am." And, I for damn sure say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am"...
I'm a grown ass man and I still refer to folks as "sir" and "ma'am." And, I for damn sure say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" to my parents (blessed to still have them both alive in their late 80's.)
I'm frequently complimented on it---although I do get asked if I have a military background (I don't, but my Dad did).
If someone gets offended because I offered respect, then fuck 'em---they cannot steal my happiness. Tongue
I have a friend in the Army that always says sir or maam ,i've heard a few people tell him its not necessary to call me sir and he always responds with " Its a respect thing ,you get it until you lose it"
Spartacus
5/1/2016 11:45am
What about fathers that always refer to their son as "the boy"?

Did they forget his name?
motogeezer
5/1/2016 11:57am
I'm a grown ass man and I still refer to folks as "sir" and "ma'am." And, I for damn sure say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am"...
When I was in my twenties, I'm sitting on the beach with my girlfriend (now my wife), and I hear someone behind me saying "Sir?" "Sir?"...

I finally turned around to see what was up, and this sixteen or so year old kid says, "Sir, are you in a band?"

I said, "Yes I am, and please call me John."

That was the first time I ever felt old.

The little bastard.
Mini Elsinore
5/1/2016 2:29pm
Mr. X: Your friend is on the money. Give respect until they lose it----I'm adopting that line!

Motogeezer: I had the same reaction the first time or two---I blame it on the gray in the beard! Laughing
motogeezer
5/1/2016 2:38pm
Mr. X: Your friend is on the money. Give respect until they lose it----I'm adopting that line! Motogeezer: I had the same reaction the first time...
Mr. X: Your friend is on the money. Give respect until they lose it----I'm adopting that line!

Motogeezer: I had the same reaction the first time or two---I blame it on the gray in the beard! Laughing
"Give respect until they lose it----I'm adopting that line!"

A little aphorism I made up:

You don't need to earn my respect;
I give it freely.
Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/1/2016 3:01pm
motogeezer wrote:
When I was in my twenties, I'm sitting on the beach with my girlfriend (now my wife), and I hear someone behind me saying "Sir?" "Sir?"...

I finally turned around to see what was up, and this sixteen or so year old kid says, "Sir, are you in a band?"

The little bastard.
It's not an age thing, I say sir to guys younger than me. He was just trying to be polite
hvaughn88
5/1/2016 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 3:10pm
motogeezer wrote:

The little bastard.
colintrax wrote:
It's not an age thing, I say sir to guys younger than me. He was just trying to be polite
I'm the same way. Every adult is sir or ma'am to me, regardless of age (unless I can tell they aren't deserving of any respect)
JPT
5/1/2016 3:52pm
Called my Dad Sir once. He told me to call him Dad and do what he told me to do. I say Sir at times, but actually consider it a superficial indication of respect with little relation to the real thing.
brlatm
5/1/2016 9:10pm
I do the exact same thing, I call everyone "sir" or "ma'am". When I first met my father-in-law, him being from Norco and me being a West Texas guy I immediately called him sir when spoken to.

He stated that wasn't necessary at all and just say yes or no. Still haven't said anything but "sir" for the last 22 years we have been together and he still just has a shit eating grin when I say it.

And I do have the 6 years in the Marine Corps background so it really got double punched into me.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
5/2/2016 6:32am
disbanded wrote:
I mostly agree. The addition of those words didn't make me respect my parents any more or less. That's why we quit doing it after a...
I mostly agree. The addition of those words didn't make me respect my parents any more or less.
That's why we quit doing it after a few days. It's a tactic that works with some people, definitely not for everybody.

It's pretty common in Northeast Texas... Like half the people I grew up with had to call they're parents sir and ma'am.
It might actually have a little more to do with being southern-style polite than being respectful.
If it's a respect thing, it's just one small part of many little things that make you respectful. Kind of like picking up your own laundry by it's self doesn't make you a good husband. Many other things that go along with the program. However, I'm also sure many families adopt those titles just because of region. Same as in the south you still hear grown men refer to their dad as Daddy, regional thing. If I lived in the south I'd do it also as I still refer to Mom and Dad the same as I did when I was 5.
TM
DoctorJD
5/2/2016 6:54am
brlatm wrote:
I do the exact same thing, I call everyone "sir" or "ma'am". When I first met my father-in-law, him being from Norco and me being a...
I do the exact same thing, I call everyone "sir" or "ma'am". When I first met my father-in-law, him being from Norco and me being a West Texas guy I immediately called him sir when spoken to.

He stated that wasn't necessary at all and just say yes or no. Still haven't said anything but "sir" for the last 22 years we have been together and he still just has a shit eating grin when I say it.

And I do have the 6 years in the Marine Corps background so it really got double punched into me.
Same here. I always address people "ma'am" and "sir". Mine doesn't come from a military background, it comes from having your ass tore up by your parents if you disrespect an adult! It's always been common in the south, but getting less common with the influx of non-southerners and Kardashian disciples.
IWreckALot
5/2/2016 7:09am
JPT wrote:
Called my Dad Sir once. He told me to call him Dad and do what he told me to do. I say Sir at times, but...
Called my Dad Sir once. He told me to call him Dad and do what he told me to do. I say Sir at times, but actually consider it a superficial indication of respect with little relation to the real thing.
Kinda like saying bless you after a sneeze? It came about because in the witch trial days they considered a sneeze as demons trying to leave your body and they thought that the idea of saying "bless you" would bless the demons out of you. But for some reason, people still say bless you as if you're going to hell unless you are blessed post sneeze?

I always go with sir or maam in many cases. Friends, family, acquaintances and strangers. Like it's been said before, it's just a bit of a sign of friendliness and something to keep it light and polite.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/2/2016 8:18am
ToolMaker wrote:
If it's a respect thing, it's just one small part of many little things that make you respectful. Kind of like picking up your own laundry...
If it's a respect thing, it's just one small part of many little things that make you respectful. Kind of like picking up your own laundry by it's self doesn't make you a good husband. Many other things that go along with the program. However, I'm also sure many families adopt those titles just because of region. Same as in the south you still hear grown men refer to their dad as Daddy, regional thing. If I lived in the south I'd do it also as I still refer to Mom and Dad the same as I did when I was 5.
TM
I agree, it is just one little aspect of the entire respect ideal.
Rooster
5/2/2016 9:13am
I've called my dad by his first name for so long it would be weird to call him sir. I refer to him by his name because of how long we were business partners together. It was tough to be the expert in a conversation and as soon as you call somebody dad they'd instantly lose all respect for me and would just cut me out after that and speak directly to him instead.

Of course he'd stand there and then have to re-ask me all the same questions that were just posed to him so it became an odd game of sorts where everybody talked in circles without speaking directly to the person they wanted the answer from. Once I started calling him by his first name all that bullshit disappeared.

That doesn't mean I wasn't raised to call people either mister or sir when it was warranted. I still do it to this day, just not with my dad. When I want to show respect to my dad now, I call him dad. It kind of throws him off a little at this point.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/2/2016 9:16am
Seems impersonal, I don't address my dad like he's a judge or officer of the law.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2864th
5/2/2016 9:20am
motogeezer wrote:

The little bastard.
colintrax wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm the same way. Every adult is sir or ma'am to me, regardless of age (unless I can tell they aren't deserving of any respect)
This x2
hvaughn88
5/2/2016 9:37am
Rooster wrote:
I've called my dad by his first name for so long it would be weird to call him sir. I refer to him by his name...
I've called my dad by his first name for so long it would be weird to call him sir. I refer to him by his name because of how long we were business partners together. It was tough to be the expert in a conversation and as soon as you call somebody dad they'd instantly lose all respect for me and would just cut me out after that and speak directly to him instead.

Of course he'd stand there and then have to re-ask me all the same questions that were just posed to him so it became an odd game of sorts where everybody talked in circles without speaking directly to the person they wanted the answer from. Once I started calling him by his first name all that bullshit disappeared.

That doesn't mean I wasn't raised to call people either mister or sir when it was warranted. I still do it to this day, just not with my dad. When I want to show respect to my dad now, I call him dad. It kind of throws him off a little at this point.
I know exactly what you mean. My dad and I work together and I hate that more than anything. It was worse when our business was based in the town I grew up in because everyone in the business world had known me since I was a kid. We moved our business to the town I live in now and it doesn't happen as much anymore because our clients here only know me as an adult instead of my childhood.
peelout
5/2/2016 10:29am
"yo bitch, can i have some more coffee please? cream."
5/2/2016 10:48am
My cousins in the South do this. Usually though they address their dad as "dad" "pa" or "pop" but answer to them as sir.

"Hey pop would you like anything from Walmart?"

"Some dip and a case of Pabst"

"Yes sir"

I think it is more habitual then respect driven.
jmx411
5/2/2016 10:54am
In South Carolina you call people mam and sir unless you want to be looked at like you a yankee.
MR. X
5/2/2016 11:22am
jmx411 wrote:
In South Carolina you call people mam and sir unless you want to be looked at like you a yankee.
Don't they already know well in advance that you're a Yankee by the brisk pace that we travel and the sence of urgency we go about?Laughing

Post a reply to: Kids that call their dad "sir"

The Latest