Kidney stones are awful

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2021 3:52pm
Felt what I thought was one coming on last Saturday but wasn’t sure as I’ve never experienced it before. Anyway I rode that morning because I was there and it stopped hurting while I got geared up. Once home that afternoon it was a completely different story.

10/10 in pain. It was all I could do to not yell at everything. Wife took me to the ER where we sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes. Mind you I’m just struggling to not scream at this point. It felt like my insides were being shredded; the worst pain I’ve ever experienced by far and nothing was alleviating the pain at all.

We finally get a room only to wait another hour for the nurse to come in and finally give me some meds. The nurse asked me how I was feeling and I just responded with, “You couldn’t hear me screaming from the hallway?” I got an IV and Toradol which helped quite a bit but that wore off quickly. He eventually gave me some morphine after my CT scan, which revealed a stone in my ureter.

5 days out and nothing has changed. It’s still in my ureter and hasn’t dropped into my bladder. Barely peeing and still taking hydrocodone for the pain that varies from a 4 to a 9 depending on how long ago I took my meds and if it’s morning or evening. I generally feel better in the morning but that doesn’t last long.

I can’t imagine even trying to work at this point. I don’t wish this on anyone. It’s awful in every aspect.

At least riding was fun on Saturday lol

|
HD1200
6/16/2021 5:49am
Dude, it's deathly painful, sorry you're going through that. They should be able to bust it up with that ultra sonic wave thingy. They did that on me at the hospital and gave me Dilaudid for the pain, it was amazing. Good luck, hope it passes.
6/16/2021 6:36am
It's the closest thing men get to experiencing child birth. Ibuprofen is your best bet for pain. Toradol is basically an iv version of ibuprofen and it takes care of the pain the best.
freeh
6/16/2021 8:10am
I had one that was too large to pass naturally. It was mis-diagnosed several times, but the pain would only occur about once a month for some reason. Ended up doing the ultrasonic break down. The pain was intense. It would literally put me on the floor for a few hours. Good luck.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/16/2021 8:31am
I’ve been taking hydrocodone ever since getting out of the hospital. I hate taking them but it’s the only thing that limits the pain a bit.

I hope I can get some lasting relief soon, that’s for sure!

Thanks guys

The Shop

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/16/2021 9:54am
worst pain ive ever felt in my life
had to leave work because I knew something wasn't right, didn't think I could make it home. Had to take my clothes off while driving because I sweating so much and couldn't cool down.

Mine was too large to break up with the sound wave, had to have surgery for removal. Not painful after surgery, but is rather unpleasant. the first piss after surgery is a doozy
6/16/2021 10:20am
I worked with a guy that had a problem with kidney stones - the scarring got so bad in his urethra that he had to have surgery - essentially they rodded out his urethra with a sharp instrument cutting away the scar tissue. His member was sown to his belly for a few months.

I make it a point now to drink more water than I should and I do not eat cereal and milk right before bed.

I hope you pass it soon.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
6/16/2021 11:04am
I hope you feel better soon.. I had my appendix removed a couple years ago. I was in the fetal position for what felt like forver before they shipped me off into the ambluance.It was the worst pain i've experienced, doctor said I had about another 30 mins before it went. But boy was that morphine drip amazing. Also seditve made me sick so 2 hours post opp I was throwing up on myself in the bed. My girlfriend at the time never left my side. I was trying to be a man infront of her so I was putting on a brave face. I was in pretty good shape at the time and pushed a suture out of my belly button by mistake and had to go get it fixed now I have two belly buttons lol.
6/16/2021 11:32am
Absolutely miserable. I've passed 2 without any pain issues thankfully. Could definitely tell something was up after i went to the bathroom, before it passed. The other 3 were miserable, twice in the ER juiced up with morphine. Pain was so bad on one trip I projectile vomitted in the womens restroom.

They can prescribe stuff to help expand the ureter. Drink as much lemonade as you can handle. Acidity will help a bit.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/16/2021 12:21pm
It ended up finally passing into my bladder then immediately went out when I peed. I feel so much better now. I don’t wish that upon anyone.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
6/16/2021 12:25pm
It ended up finally passing into my bladder then immediately went out when I peed. I feel so much better now. I don’t wish that upon...
It ended up finally passing into my bladder then immediately went out when I peed. I feel so much better now. I don’t wish that upon anyone.
Good deal, haven't had the pleasure of experiencing that yet and hope I never do. Glad it "Passed"
6/16/2021 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2021 4:28pm
Yea I've had two of them both I was able to pass. It took a couple of days to pass both times. The first one went to urgent care at like 3am. The second one I knew what it was. But they was like 8 years apart.

The problem is now your going to be more likely to get another one. Cutting out drinking soda regularly like I was has helped.
Fonzarelli
6/16/2021 7:09pm
I've had 5, first one when I was 17. They were all extremely painful, but #5 in particular was insanely worse than the others... the pain was literally making me hallucinate. I tried my hardest to pass out from the pain but that didn't work. Years later I still drink as much fluid as I can on a daily basis to help ward them off. Working so far.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/16/2021 7:30pm
I don’t consider myself that much a soda person. I have a soda maybe once a week. I can easily cut it out if it means zero stones!
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1740th
6/17/2021 12:08pm
Glad to hear you are on the backside. I've not had them but I saw a co-worker suffer through in agony for a couple of days. He is a tough guy, and just kept coming in even though he was almost doubled over in pain.

I did have the familial curse and ended up with a gallstone stuck in my bile duct and needed an emergency cholecystectomy. The pain at home before we went to the ER was unreal, 10/10 and much worse than my lacerated kidney, my badly fractured ulna and radius, any of my shoulder injuries. Until I had some morphine on board, there was nothing I could do to alleviate the agony. As a PSA, if you have a father who had gallbladder problems at a relatively young age, there is a genetic connection and you have an elevated chance of problems even if you are healthy, active, skinny and by all outward appearances a person who would never get gallstones.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/19/2021 9:03pm
I've had two. The worst pain ever, for sure.
HD1200
6/20/2021 8:01am
I don’t consider myself that much a soda person. I have a soda maybe once a week. I can easily cut it out if it means...
I don’t consider myself that much a soda person. I have a soda maybe once a week. I can easily cut it out if it means zero stones!
No it won't eliminate them by not drinking soda alone. If you drink soda try drinking clear sodas (sprite, ginger ale) but one a week, you're fine. Tea, dairy products will also contribute to kidney stones. Glad you passed this one and you're feeling better!
rucka356
6/21/2021 3:52pm
I was in the ER January 2nd for kidney stones. brushing my teeth one minute, on the floor of my living room the next. Got to the ER room and thought they were going to send security out there after me for causing a scene. Saw half a dozen nurses walking in and out talking, etc.... and all I could think was does nobody give a shit about the guy dying in the waiting room (aka me)?

Post a reply to: Kidney stones are awful

The Latest