Kawasaki SXR 1500 stand up

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2018 6:02 PM

Has anyone ridden one or owned one? I am a big guy (mid-6s and right now about 105kg). I’ve ridden a borrowed superjet a handful of times and it was fun but too twitchy for my liking.

Intended use would be river cruising and carving, mangrove dicing with friends on superjets and RXPs and maybe a bit of surf cruising (ie I’m not looking to rip flips or anything even remotely close). I will probably also do some buoy racing 3-5 times a year.

Open to all opinions and for the record, I am a 2 stroke guy and only own smokers these days. But I think the big SXR is what I need for the water.

|

5/18/2018 11:53 AM

Have you tried an SXR 800? I have one at the moment and it’s very noticeably bigger and more stable than the superjets my friends own.

I have seen a side by side with the sxr 800 and 1500, I know how big the 800 is and the 1500 looks huge!....I really wouldn’t want to go bigger than the 800 as a stand up personally. The Gen 2 X2’s look great fun but there are only about 5 that we’re officially imported in the country I’m told

|

5/18/2018 1:15 PM

I have not ridden them myself but guys that have say they are fun. No where near as flickable as a sxr800 bit with way more power they are fun

|

5/18/2018 7:23 PM

I’ve ridden the new 1500 a LOT.

Based on what you said you’re looking for, it’s exactly what you need.

Yes, it looks big. Yes, it’s heavy to push around the shop. But on the water it feels very nimble and handles great. It’s the easiest standup ever to ride. Which is why I wont own one. But for you, it’s perfect because you can still lean it over in the corners and look like an expert.

Proven & reliable engine. 60+ mph right out of the crate. Add some R&D rear sponsons immediately tho. Makes a big difference. And I’d highly recommend getting the ECU reflashed to wake up the bottom end.

I’ve been riding/testing a fully modified 1500 for about the last 6 months almost daily. Ported head, high comp pistons, all the fixings. Still running 68mph without a rebuild or oil change. It’s a bulletproof ski.

Kawi did a real good job.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

5/18/2018 7:36 PM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Have you tried an SXR 800? I have one at the moment and it’s very noticeably bigger and more stable than the superjets my friends own.

I have seen a side by side with the sxr 800 and 1500, I know how big the 800 is and the 1500 looks huge!....I really wouldn’t want to go bigger than the 800 as a stand up personally. The Gen 2 X2’s look great fun but there are only about 5 that we’re officially imported in the country I’m told

I haven’t ridden the 800, but I’ve seen them raced together with superjets and I know what you’re saying is true. The 800 is more stable and holds a line better through the buoys. The issue I have with the 800 is that there are not a lot for sale and they are rarely in low hour condition. I don’t want to buy a ski and then have to work on it, diagnose problems and fix other people’s handy work, especially when a near 10 year old ski is only a few thousand cheaper than a brand new SJ or SXR 1500.

If I could get a new ski that looked like a SJ, had parts easily available like a SJ and handled like an 800 I would be all over it.

As to size, to put it in perspective, I make a 450 look like a BMX bike. So when I move slightly on a SJ, it wants to make a 45 degree cut. I love riding 125s so I thought the SJ would be for me but it’s just too twitchy.

Wish I could demo the 1500 but there’s not many around where I live. Dealers usually just have the one new model on the floor and that’s it.

|

5/18/2018 7:38 PM

Jabroni wrote:

Yes, it looks big. Yes, it’s heavy to push around the shop. But on the water it feels very nimble and handles great. It’s the easiest standup ever to ride. Which is why I wont own one. But for you, it’s perfect because you can still lean it over in the corners and look like an expert.

Proven & reliable engine. 60+ mph right out of the crate. Add some R&D rear sponsons immediately tho. Makes a big difference. And I’d highly recommend getting the ECU reflashed to wake up the bottom end.

I’ve been riding/testing a fully modified 1500 for about the last 6 months almost daily. Ported head, high comp pistons, all the fixings. Still running 68mph without a rebuild or oil change. It’s a bulletproof ski.

Wow! You must have posted as I was typing in bits and pieces.

I really appreciate this feedback. Sounds like it is the way to go for me. Thank you for taking the time to post.

|

5/18/2018 9:42 PM

I’m currently around 90kg 6ft and have no trouble with the 800, it’s a lot more buoyant and stable than the SJ. No good for jumping waves because of it weight but excellent for carving bouys. Your unlikely to find a low hours one now days but if it’s been kept in standard condition they are bulletproof, and that smell of pre-mix, nothing beats it.

|

5/21/2018 7:09 PM

Jabroni wrote:

This right here.

I was huge into stand ups in the mid 2000’s and built an SXR soup to nuts. Had it under 300lbs ready to ride still with the stock hull (think GIANT weight loss diet). Mine was built as a freeride boat though. 6 inches shorter and such...

My friends dad just got a 1500 this week. I’m going to spin a few laps on it this weekend.

Photo

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/22/2018 7:22 PM

Jabroni wrote:

BobPA wrote:

This right here.

I was huge into stand ups in the mid 2000’s and built an SXR soup to nuts. Had it under 300lbs ready to ride still with the stock hull (think GIANT weight loss diet). Mine was built as a freeride boat though. 6 inches shorter and such...

My friends dad just got a 1500 this week. I’m going to spin a few laps on it this weekend.

Photo

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you have ridden it.

I am already convinced that I should buy it, but it's winter here so I am in no hurry unless I can get a SMOKING deal on a leftover 2017. It's a maximum of 13-14C at the moment and getting colder by the day.

The funny thing is, when it comes to MX bikes, superbikes, road (cycling) bikes, cars I am a total weight weenie. The lighter and more flickable the better. But on water, as a big guy, it just doesn't translate to fun. I ride wakeboards that most people think are MASSIVE (152, 156 or 160 depending on cable or boat and conditions), but on me they look normal size or even undersize. I can ride a smaller board and have ridden many, but it's just not the *feeling* that I enjoy.

|

5/24/2018 6:53 PM

Did you have a near drowning experience as a kid ?

Reason I ask...I did...never liked light and flicksble in water after that. Liked more heavy duty solid feeling....overcame that. Became a lifeguard etc...was petrified of water until I was about 9. Almost drowned at 4.

|

GP740
Since 1987

5/25/2018 4:28 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Did you have a near drowning experience as a kid ?

Reason I ask...I did...never liked light and flicksble in water after that. Liked more heavy duty solid feeling....overcame that. Became a lifeguard etc...was petrified of water until I was about 9. Almost drowned at 4.

Not really. I grew up surfing and bodyboarding as we had a holiday place right near the beach. I also swam competitively. Best I can tell my very high centre of gravity and wanting to lean the ski over to turn is a bad recipe on the SJ.

Anyway, I actually went and checked out the machine in person today. Yeah it’s big, but it’s not this giant monster that some have made out. I will ride the demo unit when it’s available and provided it’s not bad, I’ll buy one for sure.

|

5/25/2018 9:48 PM

I’ll put some time on one Sunday and let you know what I think.

|

5/26/2018 11:31 AM

BobPA wrote:

Looking forward to the feedback.

|

5/29/2018 1:28 AM

BobPA wrote:

Checking in for stories.

|

5/29/2018 9:23 AM

All we got was rain on the weekend...No new SXR ride for this guy...

|

5/29/2018 9:30 AM

It was perfect on lake Erie Sunday when we took my brothers '90 Kawi 650 out. If you want a review of a 28 year old boat laughing

|

5/29/2018 4:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 4:02 PM

Those kawi 650s are fun. I live a mile south of Lake Erie.

Where you from early ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

5/29/2018 7:05 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Those kawi 650s are fun. I live a mile south of Lake Erie.

Where you from early ?

I live in Youngstown but my brother is on the east side of Cleveland.

|