Kate...

JAFO92
12/2/2017 7:57pm
He was a acquitted by the jury as a political statement. The prosecutor doesn't have to go for a manslaughter charge in order for the jury...
He was a acquitted by the jury as a political statement. The prosecutor doesn't have to go for a manslaughter charge in order for the jury to find him guilty of it. They could find him guilty of manslaughter even though the prosecutor wants murder 1. 1st or 2nd degree murder was a stretch but this was a slam dunk manslaughter case.

Hut
12/2/2017 8:30pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I didn't see any convictions for aggravated assault, but may have missed that. All the lists and everything I've read says that there weren't any "violent...
I didn't see any convictions for aggravated assault, but may have missed that. All the lists and everything I've read says that there weren't any "violent crime" convictions, but it seems that there are more opinion pieces out there than actual news stories.

I'd think that any violent crime convictions would have been allowed as evidence, but it's understandable why a defense attorney would object to non violent convictions that would be prejudicial with dubious relevance to the alleged act.

From an emotional standpoint I'd like to rip anyone who kills another person apart with my bare hands. Doesn't matter their immigration status or previous convictions. But rationally I understand why we have trials, judges, juries, etc. I just know that my knowledge level isn't always as good as the jury, I haven't been given the same instructions on what would constitute guilt, and so forth.

Again, as a layman it seems bizarre that they couldn't convict him of involuntary manslaughter, but as some of the other posters have said, we might not be hearing everything just yet.

I will admit that if it were my daughter I'd want to take a play from Gerard Butler's character in "Law Abiding Citizen".......
Why weren't they allowed to use this; 3 x felony heroin possession and manufacturing narcotics?
Might as well be a violent crime when you look at statistics.
Squitlege
12/2/2017 9:00pm
Squitlege wrote:
Feel free to elaborate on that assumption, bro.
Hut wrote:
No sense going on about it now, but plenty have defended him like some sort of saint in the past. Too many Bronson movies I guess.
Bronson movies, yup... sounds reasonable. At least we have the motive now.
APLMAN99
12/2/2017 9:16pm
Hut wrote:
Why weren't they allowed to use this; 3 x felony heroin possession and manufacturing narcotics? Might as well be a violent crime when you look at...
Why weren't they allowed to use this; 3 x felony heroin possession and manufacturing narcotics?
Might as well be a violent crime when you look at statistics.
Just a guess, but those convictions probably didn't involve weapons. Otherwise, I think that they would probably be considered violent, and may likely have been allowed. Sounds like courts generally allow things relevant to whether someone committed those specific alleged crimes, not whether or not someone is just generally a scumbag or not. Lots of scumbags go through life without committing murder, obviously.

I'd definitely like to hear some of the jurors explain why they couldn't find him guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

The Shop

12/4/2017 4:07am
How is this case different than If a truck driver gets hit by a drunk driver and the drunk driver dies? They’ll go through the drivers logs and if is driving outside the allowable window of time the truck driver gets involuntary man slaughter.

Guns don’t just go off. I wanna put blanks in one of my pistols and just throw it on the ground repeatedly and pick it back up. My theory is that it won’t ever go off until I pull the trigger.
APLMAN99
12/4/2017 8:56am
How is this case different than If a truck driver gets hit by a drunk driver and the drunk driver dies? They’ll go through the drivers...
How is this case different than If a truck driver gets hit by a drunk driver and the drunk driver dies? They’ll go through the drivers logs and if is driving outside the allowable window of time the truck driver gets involuntary man slaughter.

Guns don’t just go off. I wanna put blanks in one of my pistols and just throw it on the ground repeatedly and pick it back up. My theory is that it won’t ever go off until I pull the trigger.
Can you cite a case of this exact thing actually occurring? Did a quick googley search and couldn't find any instance of it. I'd be curious to see a conviction for manslaughter where the trucker's only contribution to the accident was being over his allowable time.

Post a reply to: Kate...

The Latest