Just an observation

Chance1216
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2022 6:19am
When I first signed up, it seemed most of us shared common ground, got along and, weren’t always so quick to draw a line separating us. There’s been some great threads, useful information in many of them but, I can’t wrap my head around everyone wanting to argue lately.
I’m a shit talker. But, it’s usually in humor.

I was talking with a buddy from this forum yesterday (who I will leave nameless) and, we’re both kinda like what the fu** is going on with all the divide.

I’m sorry, I just think it’s sad what is happening here. I can guarantee most of us would get along if we ever hung out. We already have Moto, families, hobbies and, many other things in common.

I guess what I’m asking is, what are your thoughts on the way the atmosphere has been around here. Yeah, there’s the usual trolls but, I think we could all do a little better. Myself included.

Flame away.
|
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
4/14/2022 12:45pm
Oddly, I find the non moto section to be more civil than the moto related section. People get heated and opinionated here, but that's kind of the point. Open political disagreements are allowed and people cling to their opinions, good or bad, but you can't expect them to be touchy feely or provide trigger warnings in a forum filled with MXers talking about war and politics. It comes with the territory.

Meanwhile, some guy gets on the moto related section, asks people to revisit their pre-season predictions to see if they came true and gets torn to hell. What else are we supposed to talk about in moto related? 9/10 new posts have an insane thumbs down ratio and the first page is trolls and shit talkers. You run into some idiots here, but moto related is full of dickheads.
Jeremy A.K.
4/14/2022 12:48pm
I think there was a good reason GuyB limited or banned certain topics.
TalinH112
4/14/2022 12:58pm
I used to have Instagram and Facebook, the reason I do not anymore has nothing to do with issues I had with either platform. The reason I don’t have either anymore is I used to get home from work, pour a good whiskey and pick fights with people whom I differed in opinion. it was enjoyable I’m not gonna lie, but I didn’t like that my sole intent was to prove myself superior. So I deleted all of that crap and I can tell you my BP dropped by 20 points 😂, unfortunately I have found some of the same intent in posting here and I’m not a fan of it. Sorry to ramble I am just trying to say, it makes it easy to be a dick when you’re talking to people whom you have never seen or will ever meet. Brings out the worst in people, myself included.

The Shop

Joey_Bridges
4/14/2022 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 1:04pm
Oddly, I find the non moto section to be more civil than the moto related section. People get heated and opinionated here, but that's kind of...
Oddly, I find the non moto section to be more civil than the moto related section. People get heated and opinionated here, but that's kind of the point. Open political disagreements are allowed and people cling to their opinions, good or bad, but you can't expect them to be touchy feely or provide trigger warnings in a forum filled with MXers talking about war and politics. It comes with the territory.

Meanwhile, some guy gets on the moto related section, asks people to revisit their pre-season predictions to see if they came true and gets torn to hell. What else are we supposed to talk about in moto related? 9/10 new posts have an insane thumbs down ratio and the first page is trolls and shit talkers. You run into some idiots here, but moto related is full of dickheads.
Learned a long time ago that if you're going to ingage in internet conversations, you'd better be ready for the ensuing slings and arrows.
And do your damndest not to engage in personal attacks.
Not always possible, or easy to do.

But your point/opinion/statement loses all credibility when you do.
You can attack their words, not the one speaking them.
Again, not easy to do.

The moto arguments crack me up.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
4/14/2022 1:16pm
I think the animosity now stems from righteousness. It's that a differing opinion isn't what bothers people, it's that if a differing opinion is "right" then they're wrong. Couple that with having any information you want at the end of your fingertips, mix in a couple boogeymen, and debate is impossible.

Without trying to get too philosophical or righteous myself, I'll just say that I don't believe in objective truth. As fallible human beings we can only have subjective truth.
Joey_Bridges
4/14/2022 1:30pm
I think the animosity now stems from righteousness. It's that a differing opinion isn't what bothers people, it's that if a differing opinion is "right" then...
I think the animosity now stems from righteousness. It's that a differing opinion isn't what bothers people, it's that if a differing opinion is "right" then they're wrong. Couple that with having any information you want at the end of your fingertips, mix in a couple boogeymen, and debate is impossible.

Without trying to get too philosophical or righteous myself, I'll just say that I don't believe in objective truth. As fallible human beings we can only have subjective truth.
It's easy to see someone stating an opinion that comes from their experience, or knowledge of a certain subject.
That's someone you can debate.
Someone who actually has something to say that may alter your view.

What's annoying is when someone counters your points with what sounds like nothing more than the instilled talking points driven into them by media, and politicians.
Inevitably those are the conversations that go nowhere.
4/14/2022 1:34pm
Chance1216 wrote:
When I first signed up, it seemed most of us shared common ground, got along and, weren’t always so quick to draw a line separating us...
When I first signed up, it seemed most of us shared common ground, got along and, weren’t always so quick to draw a line separating us. There’s been some great threads, useful information in many of them but, I can’t wrap my head around everyone wanting to argue lately.
I’m a shit talker. But, it’s usually in humor.

I was talking with a buddy from this forum yesterday (who I will leave nameless) and, we’re both kinda like what the fu** is going on with all the divide.

I’m sorry, I just think it’s sad what is happening here. I can guarantee most of us would get along if we ever hung out. We already have Moto, families, hobbies and, many other things in common.

I guess what I’m asking is, what are your thoughts on the way the atmosphere has been around here. Yeah, there’s the usual trolls but, I think we could all do a little better. Myself included.

Flame away.
It's funny, I was considering starting a thread saying pretty similar stuff. I figure we've all got moto in common, and that's about all it takes to be buds.

If you like moto you've got to have at least 2 brain cells to rub together unlike the anti-moto public.

It seems like a lot of people are ready to relish in difference instead of giving the benefit of the doubt that we're all friends first.
Chance1216
4/14/2022 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 2:45pm
It's funny, I was considering starting a thread saying pretty similar stuff. I figure we've all got moto in common, and that's about all it takes...
It's funny, I was considering starting a thread saying pretty similar stuff. I figure we've all got moto in common, and that's about all it takes to be buds.

If you like moto you've got to have at least 2 brain cells to rub together unlike the anti-moto public.

It seems like a lot of people are ready to relish in difference instead of giving the benefit of the doubt that we're all friends first.
I try starting threads that we can relate to or, get a laugh out of. Other Hobbies was just a way to show things we enjoy outside Moto. The Covid 19 2020 meme thread was another way for us to laugh at shitty circumstances for many of us. Hell, I was spear fishing in the cold ass Puget
Sound to put meat in the freezer since the grocery stores in my area didn’t have meat. Yet alone, toilet paper. Then that thread turned into a vaccinated vs unvaccinated shit show so, I had it deleted.

I just want to enjoy myself here. I’m sure many share the same sentiment.
BMSOBx2
4/14/2022 3:03pm
Damien, I'm glad you said something. I thought it was just me. I agree with you it's truly sad what I see happening on the board. I've been around a long time on these boards going way back and in fact I am the oldest contributor here according to a thread not too long ago. I've been through the flame Wars on Moto Drive. It's appalling the anger and vitriol in the opinions I see expressed on here now. I've been alive since Harry Truman was president and I've seen them come and go. Some good some bad some corrupt and some unqualified but never have I seen the general disrespect for the office, and by association the government, as I have in the last 20 years. Despite those who simplistically would have you believe it's all Biden's fault or Trump's fault or Obama's fault etc etc I'm here to tell you it goes back much further than that and it's not just the government's fault. If we don't find some common ground soon I truly fear for our country and what it may become. Time to dial it back & look for answers instead trying to blame others for our problems.
JAFO92
4/14/2022 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 3:40pm
Ive tried in recent weeks to start threads with upbeat topics as to not dwell on what sucks about the world right now.
They got mainly downvotes to my original post and no replies. So I deleted 'em.

Im starting to think Void had the right idea a few months ago.
Natester551v
4/14/2022 4:04pm
Unfortunately, there are a small handful on here that get some perverse satisfaction out of conflict and insert their condescending political opinions into every topic possible. It's not the topics, it's the clowns that inevitably show up and drop the old turd in the punchbowl that make it unpleasant.
borg
4/14/2022 4:12pm
Oddly, I find the non moto section to be more civil than the moto related section. People get heated and opinionated here, but that's kind of...

It doesn't really bother me either. I tend to avoid the discussions that get personal, not because it bothers me but because I don't want to encourage it. Let the asshole have the last word. If you're being the better man, everybody else will see it.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
4/14/2022 4:27pm
We certainly get into some good discussions but outside of a few I think we all tend to remain fairly level headed. No one’s ever gonna agree on everything and discussing those disagreements is a good thing. Being able to respect one another’s opinion shouldn’t be that difficult either.
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/14/2022 4:41pm
I think the experiment with politics on here has actually gone better than I expected. I'm usually on the arguing on the other side than the majority and sometimes I get carried away and get a bit too snarky but mostly I try to present my stances from a philosophical or data driven angle. I've been pointed down so many rabbit holes here I've actually learned a ton from it in the past couple years, for better or worse. I bet if we could all get out and ride more we'd be in better moods around here!
TeamGreen
4/14/2022 4:57pm
Unfortunately, there are a small handful on here that get some perverse satisfaction out of conflict and insert their condescending political opinions into every topic possible...
Unfortunately, there are a small handful on here that get some perverse satisfaction out of conflict and insert their condescending political opinions into every topic possible. It's not the topics, it's the clowns that inevitably show up and drop the old turd in the punchbowl that make it unpleasant.
That's because we're scared and hiding behind our G19s. Grinning

Or G26...or G25 ...or G17L ...or G35...or G22....or G24....Woohoo

So many scared choices to make! Silly
borg
4/14/2022 5:03pm
G19. Circular interpolation in the YZ plane?
Natester551v
4/14/2022 6:03pm
Unfortunately, there are a small handful on here that get some perverse satisfaction out of conflict and insert their condescending political opinions into every topic possible...
TeamGreen wrote:

Exactly....Evil
BMSOBx2
4/14/2022 6:45pm
TeamGreen wrote:

And just like that...............Dry
TeamGreen
4/14/2022 8:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:

BMSOBx2 wrote:
And just like that...............Dry
Either you missed a few things around here or ya don't get the humor? No worries.

I've only been alive since just before some insane jack-asses shot President Kennedy; so, you might have to cut me some slack...tho, it was probably the same "government" that you spoke of that did that, too.

Signed,

"Lighten Up, Francis!"

(Blatantly stolen from "Stripes")
BMSOBx2
4/14/2022 9:08pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Either you missed a few things around here or ya don't get the humor? No worries. I've only been alive since just before some insane jack-asses...
Either you missed a few things around here or ya don't get the humor? No worries.

I've only been alive since just before some insane jack-asses shot President Kennedy; so, you might have to cut me some slack...tho, it was probably the same "government" that you spoke of that did that, too.

Signed,

"Lighten Up, Francis!"

(Blatantly stolen from "Stripes")
Still blaming others I see. I don't think I've missed a thing.
4/15/2022 3:25am
Everyone is angry because they don’t hv this in there life and no Love. Anger is an emotion easier had by some. They program them selfs into being a conflicting angry person. I told work I,m injured and need to go home . Blown cartridge and disk in my neck, burning anti freeze in cab , sick as hell. They will not get me home. So I will b taking them down piece by piece. I do believe there organized crime from Eastern Europe, so that makes it more fun. It’s like a hobby of mine the last few yrs.

G-man
4/15/2022 9:46am
Good reply profeshenal125....Woohoo

I've been on here and motodrive since day 1 about 22 years ago and 99% of the time I avoid political threads.
I did recently make the statement "there are a lot of liberal nut jobs on here" so I am guilty of that. I apologize for that and I'm sure we would get along fine if we met in person.

I hate politics and all the lies and deceit that go with it so I just avoid them on here because this started as a motocross forum a sport we all love and I would have no problem meeting anyone one of you and would especially enjoy a ride together.

When I'm on my motorcycle it's when I am at peace and just have a smile and enjoying life.

You guys should try it sometime. Laughing
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/15/2022 9:50am
Have a Good Friday Pro!
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
4/19/2022 4:22pm
I think there's a lot of really bad stuff going on in the world right now coupled with everyone having changed
their lives for the past 2+ years in ways no one could have imagined just the month before it started. So a lot
of folks just have a very high stress level. Do you think people dislike other people here because of the posts?
I don't follow close enough that I notice it being that bad. Over the years there have been some really heated threads
even when it was heavy handed oversight. If I met someone in person outside of here, I would have no problem having a beer and a good time even if we were worlds apart on how we view things. It's all entertainment with a bit of enlightenment, I don't get why some people get so upset that other people see things different.
TM
SEEMEFIRST
4/19/2022 4:49pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I think there's a lot of really bad stuff going on in the world right now coupled with everyone having changed their lives for the past...
I think there's a lot of really bad stuff going on in the world right now coupled with everyone having changed
their lives for the past 2+ years in ways no one could have imagined just the month before it started. So a lot
of folks just have a very high stress level. Do you think people dislike other people here because of the posts?
I don't follow close enough that I notice it being that bad. Over the years there have been some really heated threads
even when it was heavy handed oversight. If I met someone in person outside of here, I would have no problem having a beer and a good time even if we were worlds apart on how we view things. It's all entertainment with a bit of enlightenment, I don't get why some people get so upset that other people see things different.
TM
I feel the same way, but once the board owner starts stalking you and calling you a hypocrite every other post, you can reach a boiling point.

I never had a problem with the general population unless they were in his hip pocket parroting his every move.

Otherwise, I can just cruise along.
JustMX
4/21/2022 5:02am

I am not big on social media, and have become a bit isolated as I have hit my mid 50's.

I love this place, and it and a goofy dog might be about all that keeps me sane.

This is a diverse bunch of people sharing at least one burning passion.

Even on such topics as covid restrictions and vaccinations, there is knowledge and experience. even if you don't agree with them, you can see where they are coming from and understand why they feel the way they do.

Hell, I even read engineicedave's posts.

And profeshenal125's posts would make an English teacher faint for what he does to the our language, but when he talks about riding, I nod my head, and say to myself, "I understand"

Know this.

Whether you got the shot or not

Whether you vote for sanders or trump

Whether you are pro or anti Suzuki

If you are here, you are my vital brother

Post a reply to: Just an observation

The Latest