John Glenn passes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2016 12:34 PM

Amazing man. Amazing life.

|

12/8/2016 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2016 1:11 PM

What a bummer, but he was 95 and lived an incredible life and had the privilege of seeing some awesome sights that only a rare few people on the planet will only ever get to see or experience in person. RIP.

|

12/8/2016 1:20 PM

To climb in those first converted redstone missles took balls.

|

12/8/2016 1:55 PM

To ride the capsule back to Earth wondering if your heat shield was going to work or not must have been quite a scare.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/8/2016 2:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2016 2:41 PM

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

|

12/8/2016 4:01 PM

hillbilly wrote:

To climb in those first converted redstone missles took balls.

Absolutely. I mean how did that conversion go ?

Ok guys here's the deal. We're gonna take the warhead off one of these intercontinental ballistic missiles and replace it with a cockpit. Then were gonna add a shit load more rocket fuel and light the fuse.

I watched a documentary with Glenn and some others talking about what it was like walking out of the van suited up taking the elevator ride. And thinking this just got real and it's happening and no turning back even though the chances of blowing up were about even with chances of surviving.

Totally committed, total bad asses.

|

12/8/2016 4:11 PM

yzrider314 wrote:

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

Aint that the truth. Fearless badasses.

RIP Devil Dog

Photo


Photo

|

"We don't rent pigs."

12/8/2016 5:54 PM

And all around Great American thank you for your service.
Godspeed

|

12/8/2016 7:04 PM

What an amazing life.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

12/8/2016 7:15 PM

I was in 3rd grade when he took a shuttle ride, I remember it clearly. Amazing man, RIP

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

12/8/2016 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2016 7:42 PM

yzrider314 wrote:

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

No offense but he was a Mercury project astronaut. Apollo came much later, after Gemini.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

12/8/2016 7:50 PM

Great American!

You know, we are not that far removed from when people thought the sun was a god, the earth was flat, etc.

Sometimes I'll be sitting in my spa and look up at the moon. Still amazes me we put a man on the fucking moon and brought him back! Humans have walked on the moon! Still blows my mind! Just imagine what past civilizations would think!

|

12/8/2016 10:03 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Great American!

You know, we are not that far removed from when people thought the sun was a god, the earth was flat, etc.

Sometimes I'll be sitting in my spa and look up at the moon. Still amazes me we put a man on the fucking moon and brought him back! Humans have walked on the moon! Still blows my mind! Just imagine what past civilizations would think!

How badass is it that Ted Williams was his wingman?


[LINK TO IMAGE]

The best hitter ever with the first American to orbit the earth

|

12/9/2016 6:25 AM

Fixing to watch The Right Stuff tonight, haven't seen it before.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

12/9/2016 7:49 AM

Great accomplishments before he went goofy on gun control. Damn shame.

|

12/9/2016 8:20 AM

yzrider314 wrote:

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

JPT wrote:

No offense but he was a Mercury project astronaut. Apollo came much later, after Gemini.

Yeah,and they took Glenn out of rotation because he was to important as a icon to die.

Mercury gave the mercury group of astronauts a car,I think it was the comet with the 427 shoved in the bay. Cant recall but it was a trick car at the time.

I will look around see what it was exactly.

One thing I never understood was the apollo 1 fire. Meaning I knew a pure oxygen atmosphere makes everything burn,how the scientists thought that would work and not be super dangerous just doesn't add up.

The BEST documentary on the space race is " moon machines" several parts breaking down each component. Like the suit,the rover,the saturn v engine. Very very good.

|

12/9/2016 10:18 AM

newmann wrote:

Great accomplishments before he went goofy on gun control. Damn shame.

You would.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

12/9/2016 10:33 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Yeah,and they took Glenn out of rotation because he was to important as a icon to die.

Mercury gave the mercury group of astronauts a car,I think it was the comet with the 427 shoved in the bay. Cant recall but it was a trick car at the time.

I will look around see what it was exactly.

One thing I never understood was the apollo 1 fire. Meaning I knew a pure oxygen atmosphere makes everything burn,how the scientists thought that would work and not be super dangerous just doesn't add up.

The BEST documentary on the space race is " moon machines" several parts breaking down each component. Like the suit,the rover,the saturn v engine. Very very good.

Yeah that 100% oxygen thing was doomed from the start. But looking back scientists have made really dumb decisions on engineering that nobody really gave a lot of thought to at the time.

Photo



|

"We don't rent pigs."

12/9/2016 12:52 PM

yzrider314 wrote:

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

JPT wrote:

No offense but he was a Mercury project astronaut. Apollo came much later, after Gemini.

I'm fully aware of that. I believe the term "Era" covers a time frame of more than 4 or 5 years. smile

|

12/9/2016 1:06 PM

yzrider314 wrote:

Those Apollo era astronauts are some of the most bad ass yet forgotten about figures in US history.

JPT wrote:

No offense but he was a Mercury project astronaut. Apollo came much later, after Gemini.

yzrider314 wrote:

I'm fully aware of that. I believe the term "Era" covers a time frame of more than 4 or 5 years. smile

I guess what JPT means is, those Mercuryand Gemini guys were the true guinea pigs. By the time Apollo came around they had a LOT of bugs ironed out. Those first round pilots who entered the newly formed NASA program were fearless and knew there was a very high probability they were gonna die.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

12/10/2016 4:50 PM

newmann wrote:

Great accomplishments before he went goofy on gun control. Damn shame.

Would been fun to fire a few rounds on the moon huh.

|