Jobless people

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 10:29am
I can see if you are in a tough field or line of work where there is a lot of competition for a certain position but for all the people who say they just can't get a job of any kind, I don't believe it. I get offered jobs regularly but people are individuals. I have an idea for a show where I take over the identity of people who say they can not find a job. I use their qualifications and try to get as many jobs in a day as possible. I am not being a jerk, it is just I see all these people who say they want work until it comes down to it. Also there is the guy that wants work so someone takes a chance on him but only has 35 hours so the guy complains and complains that it is not enough and then he get's 41 hours and complains that he is being used and the employer doesn't understand that he has a life. Entitled generation.
|
huck
2/18/2015 9:37am
FLmxer wrote:
I can see if you are in a tough field or line of work where there is a lot of competition for a certain position but...
I can see if you are in a tough field or line of work where there is a lot of competition for a certain position but for all the people who say they just can't get a job of any kind, I don't believe it. I get offered jobs regularly but people are individuals. I have an idea for a show where I take over the identity of people who say they can not find a job. I use their qualifications and try to get as many jobs in a day as possible. I am not being a jerk, it is just I see all these people who say they want work until it comes down to it. Also there is the guy that wants work so someone takes a chance on him but only has 35 hours so the guy complains and complains that it is not enough and then he get's 41 hours and complains that he is being used and the employer doesn't understand that he has a life. Entitled generation.
They're waiting for a job that they can get $100,000+ a year...without having any responsibilities or having to do any work!
APLMAN99
2/18/2015 9:41am
FLmxer wrote:
I can see if you are in a tough field or line of work where there is a lot of competition for a certain position but...
huck wrote:
They're waiting for a job that they can get $100,000+ a year...without having any responsibilities or having to do any work!
I'll take two of those to go, please!
mxb2
2/18/2015 9:46am
Maybe waiting for a job, while they can be on vital while on the clock lol.

The Shop

SweetDaddy
2/18/2015 10:30am
I was hired based on my good looks, not qualifications....
2/18/2015 10:59am
The US workforce is too slanted toward information industry jobs these days.
Two of the industries I cover can't find employees, because they can't find people that will pass the drug test and have the fitness to do the job: electric utility linemen and railroads.
Most kids these days are too soft to do these jobs, it seems.
Even the newspaper where I work can't find qualified people. If you can get them to show up to work like a normal person- they don't have the writing skills.
It's a head-scratcher for sure. It's tempting to think people are just too lazy to work, but there must be other reasons.
IWreckALot
2/18/2015 11:21am
The US workforce is too slanted toward information industry jobs these days. Two of the industries I cover can't find employees, because they can't find people...
Two of the industries I cover can't find employees, because they can't find people that will pass the drug test and have the fitness to do the job: electric utility linemen and railroads.
Even the newspaper where I work can't find qualified people. If you can get them to show up to work like a normal person- they don't have the writing skills.
It's a head-scratcher for sure. It's tempting to think people are just too lazy to work, but there must be other reasons.
I am currently employed and make a great salary so I don't necessarily meet the "jobless" or under employed category, but I've put my resume in at about 40 different jobs looking for a reasonable amount of pay (10-20% more than I currently make) with a position relevant to my degree plan and haven't gotten a single call. I am in my senior year of college but I'm also 29 years old. Seems like employers in my pay range and job duties aren't willing to settle for someone with 9 years of professional experience without the degree. You can barely get past the gatekeepers at businesses to talk to someone anymore. So I do sympathize slightly with some out there that can't get a great job simply because they're lacking a connection.

However, if I were to ever become unemployed, I certainly would be looking more intently than I am now. And I would be doing everything I can to figure out how to make my own way if it were to come to that. In fact, I'm currently toying around with an idea that I have to see if it is worth delving into making side money.

In general though, I agree. The habitual unemployed spend more time making excuses about why they can't get any job than they do looking for a job. I believe those are who this thread is directed at.
2/18/2015 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 7:28pm
It's hard for some people to be off for so long with the bad economy. Now after a few years, things have picked up and they are just not ready to get back in there! Let's face , it's nice being home with your family if you can make it!
borg
2/18/2015 7:41pm
Never been fired but I've been laid off while they were hiring.
SEE ARE125
2/18/2015 8:20pm
I'll leave this here. Brief summary, an upper middle class family switch with an unemployed family. Pretty entertaining.

Tracktor
2/19/2015 9:32am
Clark: "How can they have nothing for their children?"
Ellen: "Well, he's been out of work for close to seven years."
Clark: "In seven years, he couldn't find a job?"
Ellen: "Catherine says, he's been holding out for a management position."
hillbilly
2/19/2015 11:41am
I hear the Muslims are beheaded folks because they cant get jobs either.
2/19/2015 4:33pm
hillbilly wrote:
I hear the Muslims are beheaded folks because they cant get jobs either.
Yeah I heard Obama say that a couple nights ago on TV.

A quick google search found evidence to the contrary. I realize that you can find a study to support any point you want to make, but still...

A study of 250 U.S.-based militants since Sept 11 who have been indicted in jihadist terrorist crime. They are on average middle class, reasonably well-educated family men with kids.

Former CIA case officer Marc Sageman wrote a book examining the backgrounds of 170 militants who were part of al Qaeda. 50% were professionals; 66% were either middle or upper class and had gone to college; several were PhDs.

I'm not sure that the jihad can be blamed entirely on a poor job market.

Sorry, I don't like to contribute to the jacking of a thread, but couldn't help myself. Carry on.

2/19/2015 4:35pm
OP, I think that show is a great idea. A lot better than some of the reality shows on now. Able-bodied unemployed people are a bit of a sore spot for me as a self-employed person who has trouble finding good workers.
markit
2/19/2015 9:54pm
There lazy and dont want to work. There is work out there. Im legality disabled and work ( not on disability yet).
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
2/20/2015 5:17am
One of my best friends was a lady that worked in accounting that had MS, she never missed work and had a great career. She would get out of her wheel chair and sit on a towel in the kitchen and mop the floor using her butt, amazing amazing girl her name was Tracy King God rest her soul. Worlds of respect for that young lady. Her personality, her amazing way of being positive 24/7 she worked right up until she died in her sleep. Beautiful amazing person.

Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
2/20/2015 5:41am
Stark contrast here, we just got a new clean up lady. All she has to do is vacuum and dump the trash. I always bag my trash up and put it in her cart. She just asked me and my coworker "does your area need vacuuming?" She is looking at it and it needs vacuuming, I told her no because i just don't give a shit. The last girl busted her ass and you couldn't stop her from doing her job. I would tell her don't worry abut vacuuming and she would still vacuum. That's the difference, the last girl deserved a raise this one doesn't. Anyone who thinks you should force a Employer into paying more for shit workers is an idiot.
SweetDaddy
2/20/2015 8:28am
I used to work with a software developer who was paralyzed from a diving accident. He was in a wheelchair and could move his arms but not use his hands. He had a setup where he could use a computer. He would ride to work in a special bus for handicapped/disabled people and he would tell me that people on the bus would tell him why they were too 'disabled' or 'handicapped' to work and meanwhile he was the most disabled/handicapped person on the bus!
Clutchy
2/20/2015 8:51am
The US workforce is too slanted toward information industry jobs these days. Two of the industries I cover can't find employees, because they can't find people...
People are quick to broad brush paint everything. First and foremost, job numbers and people numbers are not even close. there is not a job for everyone. and what does someone expect to do with 8 hrs a wk. or even two of those. people need to have three jobs to be poor.
bronwynrayne
2/20/2015 8:52am
My favourite thing to say is "We aren't paid too much, you're paid too little." As a union member I get accused of being overpaid for a basic labour job but that's not the case, it demands as much knowledge as a degree and is much more physically taxing.

I had a major issue finding a job when I was fully available because I wasn't willing to work two of them to get full time hours as the schedules clashing made me an undesireable candidate for either of them. Also, when I was nearing the amount of hours worked per week required for basic benefits, I would be cut back to avoid the employer having to provide me with them.

We are not ALL entitled, and in every generation there and degenerates that dog fuck their way through and think it's good enough. These are not people I associate myself with. And here is where I am going to lose my shit. The largest major purchase we will make in our lifetimes (if we can afford it) is a home. Second, a car. I will also explore tuition costs aswell because generally speaking in order to make these purchases you need a higher paying job, which usually requires some level of post-secondary education. The average cost of a house in 1970 was $23,000, a car around $4,000, and your tuition cost was (from an archive at the university of Pennsylvania) around $2500 a year. Minimum wage in the US at this time was $1.45.

Today's average cost of a house in the USA is $272,000, a car $32,000, and your tuition costs for the same university (University of Pennsylvania) sitting at a measly $47,668, while the minimum wage in America is only at $7.25. That is over a thousand percent increase in housing costs, a 700% increase in vehicle costs, a 1780% increase in tuition fees, and only a 480% increase in the minimum wage your employer has to pay you.

I ask how you dare call us entitled when we face this kind of disparity in wage and cost. I am gonna quote Fight Club on this one; "God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
Clutchy
2/20/2015 8:54am
Not to mention that all you assholes that complain about people not working are shopping at target and walmart and sending billions of dollars to china. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS OR STFU.
Clutchy
2/20/2015 8:56am
The American buying public has sold this country to china because of our love for cheap shit.
borg
2/20/2015 9:14am
Clutchy wrote:
The American buying public has sold this country to china because of our love for cheap shit.
There's a huge chicken and egg component here Clutchy. It's not just cheap Americans wanting cheap shit. Good manufacturing jobs started leaving in the late 70's. Those were the jobs that help turn the poor into the middle class. Especially here in California. I have witnessed the decline personally. The industry I was in back in the late 60's was driven out by government.
Clutchy
2/20/2015 10:10am
Clutchy wrote:
borg wrote:
There's a huge chicken and egg component here Clutchy. It's not just cheap Americans wanting cheap shit. Good manufacturing jobs started leaving in the late 70's...
There's a huge chicken and egg component here Clutchy. It's not just cheap Americans wanting cheap shit. Good manufacturing jobs started leaving in the late 70's. Those were the jobs that help turn the poor into the middle class. Especially here in California. I have witnessed the decline personally. The industry I was in back in the late 60's was driven out by government.
There's no chicken and egg situation. The federal government cant stop our buying habits and our buying habits dictate EVERYTHING. If we don't buy it, it will disappear. If people boycotted Walmart for 1 week it would cost them 9 billion in revenue. They would stand at attention and ask what can i do for you. But we can't stop buying GARBAGE that's made so cheaply that it can be put on ships across oceans and on trucks across the country and handled 75 times before it reaches a consumer. All because of our need for cheap shit. Movies are being made strictly for the after marketing of cheap crap to push on us and our children. It's a joke but our neighbors keep eating it up. When that mentality changes then so will our economy. That's just my opinion. The gov can only get away with what the public allows. We ARE NOT UNITED, we're just states.
SEE ARE125
2/20/2015 10:33am
In all honesty, please explain how this would work. My thought is that if minimum wage is increased, the cashier working for minimum wage makes more money, as much as the head cashier. So the head cashier gets a raise. They now make as much as the department manager, so the department manager gets a raise. They now make as much as the assistant manager, so they get a raise and make as much as the manager. Now the manager gets a raise. It goes on and on and in the end EVERYONE, including the CEO, is making more money. Sounds great, right? Well how are companies going to pay ALL those people more money? You think they're going to sacrifice their profit margins for the "greater good?" Hell no, they're going to raise the prices of their products and services. The cost of living goes up and we're right back where we started.

Same thing with the whole "corporations should pay taxes" bullshit. They're just going to charge you more to cover the cost of taxes, so in the end, guess who is paying the taxes. You are. So saying "corporations should pay taxes" is the equivalent of saying "I would like to pay more taxes."
bronwynrayne
2/20/2015 10:54am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2015 10:55am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
In all honesty, please explain how this would work. My thought is that if minimum wage is increased, the cashier working for minimum wage makes more...
In all honesty, please explain how this would work. My thought is that if minimum wage is increased, the cashier working for minimum wage makes more money, as much as the head cashier. So the head cashier gets a raise. They now make as much as the department manager, so the department manager gets a raise. They now make as much as the assistant manager, so they get a raise and make as much as the manager. Now the manager gets a raise. It goes on and on and in the end EVERYONE, including the CEO, is making more money. Sounds great, right? Well how are companies going to pay ALL those people more money? You think they're going to sacrifice their profit margins for the "greater good?" Hell no, they're going to raise the prices of their products and services. The cost of living goes up and we're right back where we started.

Same thing with the whole "corporations should pay taxes" bullshit. They're just going to charge you more to cover the cost of taxes, so in the end, guess who is paying the taxes. You are. So saying "corporations should pay taxes" is the equivalent of saying "I would like to pay more taxes."
It would only work if we could agree on a living minimum wage, reflective of inflation. Please explain to me how Costco manages to retain larger sales profit margins than Wal-Mart while paying their employees a reasonable wage, approximately twice of what a Wal-mart employee makes.

Corporations should pay more taxes, and there should be protections in place for consumers so that they cannot be exploited for basic needs. End of discussion.
mxb2
2/20/2015 11:17am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
In all honesty, please explain how this would work. My thought is that if minimum wage is increased, the cashier working for minimum wage makes more...

Low skills, low wages, simple. No need to reward the lazy.
Clutchy
2/20/2015 11:27am
It would only work if we could agree on a living minimum wage, reflective of inflation. Please explain to me how [url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/costco-profit_n_2859250.html]Costco manages to retain larger...
It would only work if we could agree on a living minimum wage, reflective of inflation. Please explain to me how Costco manages to retain larger sales profit margins than Wal-Mart while paying their employees a reasonable wage, approximately twice of what a Wal-mart employee makes.

Corporations should pay more taxes, and there should be protections in place for consumers so that they cannot be exploited for basic needs. End of discussion.
It all comes down to the buying public only supporting the companies that are giving a sustainable product to our communities.
Homey55
2/20/2015 11:27am
Clutchy wrote:
borg wrote:
There's a huge chicken and egg component here Clutchy. It's not just cheap Americans wanting cheap shit. Good manufacturing jobs started leaving in the late 70's...
Clutchy wrote:
There's no chicken and egg situation. The federal government cant stop our buying habits and our buying habits dictate EVERYTHING. If we don't buy it, it...
There's no chicken and egg situation. The federal government cant stop our buying habits and our buying habits dictate EVERYTHING. If we don't buy it, it will disappear. If people boycotted Walmart for 1 week it would cost them 9 billion in revenue. They would stand at attention and ask what can i do for you. But we can't stop buying GARBAGE that's made so cheaply that it can be put on ships across oceans and on trucks across the country and handled 75 times before it reaches a consumer. All because of our need for cheap shit. Movies are being made strictly for the after marketing of cheap crap to push on us and our children. It's a joke but our neighbors keep eating it up. When that mentality changes then so will our economy. That's just my opinion. The gov can only get away with what the public allows. We ARE NOT UNITED, we're just states.
Both of you are 100% correct.

I think there is also a problem with greed. I recently worked for Raytheon. There was a huge gap in the workforce there. We had people fresh out of college and we had people that should have retired 10 years ago, and we had almost nothing in-between. The older group had pensions and 401k and were waiting on that extra .125% raise on their pension before they would retire. They were lazy and were pushed through the system to upper management because that's the way the Raytheon corporate structure works (age + experience = promotion). The young people had no incentive to stay at Raytheon. They had no pension and they could take their 401k with them when they left. The best way to get a raise was to get a new job with a new employer. The middle-aged workforce was constantly pushed around waiting on Joe to decide if he could live off of $2 million or not in retirement money.

Of course it does not work like this everywhere, or with everyone, but it's really common in government defense jobs. I lasted 8 years at Raytheon.

Post a reply to: Jobless people

The Latest