Jeeps

Related:
Create New Tag

3/20/2018 8:03 PM

I'm living in Colorado and thinking about buying one. Curious if anyone owns one, how reliable they have been, what issues (if any), what modifications you've done, what modifications you'd avoid...etc. Post pics if you'd like. I drive an F250 and while I love it and will keep it, I'm looking forward to driving a smaller vehicle around town and especially in the mountains, this summer.

|

3/21/2018 3:14 AM

This conversation did it for me a while back . My buddies wife owns a wrangler.Photo

|

3/21/2018 4:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 1:22 PM

The Roxor is probably better built than that stuff that is badged as 'Jeep' nowadays. Too bad its off-road only.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03/02/mahindra-roxor-is-retro-off-roader-dreams-as-long-as-stay-off-road.html

Photo

|

"We don't rent pigs."

3/21/2018 10:14 AM

This impressed me as far as capability. The drive does seem to have some offroad driving skills too. I know all about Jeep reliability but they seem to sell everything they have out here.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/21/2018 1:10 PM

My wife drives a 4 door Wrangler. Overall they are build really well.

A couple negatives though. The windows are small and it seems there are a lot of blind spots. That just my personal opinion. Also, if you take the tops off the seals don't always seal well and the roof will leak. Research this issue.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

3/21/2018 1:20 PM

I love the 4 door jeeps. There is a lot you can do with them. I would love to have one in the Texas summer with the doors and top off. Almost pulled the trigger on one but then seemed like every year I was adding a kid to the family and now we can't fit in one. So that will be my mid-life crisis vehicle perhaps!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/21/2018 2:01 PM

Not exactly a "real" Jeep, but we had a Grand Cherokee for a while. It was a POS. Strange, strange problems with that car, like the thing would lock you inside with no way to unlock and get out. My wife turned the key off and pulled it out and the engine kept running. Not dieseling, mind you; ACTUALLY RUNNING. It shut off while driving once and that was it for me. Probably just an isolated unit with a bad relay somewhere but I was over it.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/21/2018 7:04 PM

Falcon wrote:

Not exactly a "real" Jeep, but we had a Grand Cherokee for a while. It was a POS. Strange, strange problems with that car, ...more

What year model?

|

3/23/2018 12:28 PM

I've owned two, a 2000 XJ Cherokee and a 2013 JK Wrangler that I bought new. They are good vehicles depending upon what your intentions and expectations are. The XJ I bought used in college as a DD and I did the basic stuff like a 3" lift, ATs, etc. It had about 95k miles when I bought it and about 130k when I sold it. Absolute tank in the snow and offroad. One winter we had legit 2ft+ snow storm and that thing just motored right through it like nobody's business. Really stout drivetrain, that 4.0L I6 is as beefy as everyone makes it out to be. Other than the drivetrain it was pretty much a total POS. Constant electrical problems and weird gremlins that were tough to diagnose. Rode like a tin can. Pretty lousy mpg.

The '13 Wrangler was obviously a lot more reliable. I ended up selling it to my dad after owning it for a year or so and he kept it another 3yrs and sold it when it had about 80k miles. The heater core was starting to go bad when he sold it, which I thought was weird for a relatively new vehicle. Other than that it was reliable. Great for quick drives and summer beach trips but kinda sucked for anything else. Loudy, drafty, bad mpg, rode rough, etc.

If you want a toy or a second vehicle, they're fine. If you want a DD that's also off road capable, I'd look at 4Runners, Xterras or FJs. No experience with Grand Cherokees but the newer ones have way too much Fiat DNA for me to spend money on one.

|

3/23/2018 12:37 PM

Buy one as a toy. Not to daily driver. This is advise coming from a former Jeep owner.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

3/23/2018 7:33 PM

I grew up with Jeeps and used to love them. When my sister got her drivers license, we would throw my RM80, a can of gas some tools and a stand in the back and I'd leave the house in my riding gear. We had a lot of fun and went to a lot of local races like that. She got a Wrangler a few years ago and I couldn't hate the thing more. What a POS. I can't believe no one has mentioned the death wobble yet. She lives out of state from me. She came to visit one time and I spent the better part of 2 days trying to get rid of it. Them things are more dangerous than a manual steer CJ5 with 32 12/50's and a 305 3 speed ever thought of being. I've driven 4 or 5 of the new ones including the 4 door ones. I swear they are a gutless turd that handles like a skate board on a gravel road. You couldn't give me one.

I had to drive hers across the mountains into Virginia once. I was running the piss out of it. I got pulled over for doing 65 in a 45. The cop walked up and immediately said, you were doing 65 in a 45. My exact response was, have you ever driven one of these pieces of shit? I didn't think it would go that fast. He started laughing, said yes I have, walked away and said have a good day. They are way faster than 65 but they are a handful. I was coming back from Florida in a Wrangler with 2 of my buddies. We were taking turns driving because it was a long trip. I was driving and we were going around 95 through Nashville when the top blew off. That freakin sucked. I've really grown to hate Jeeps.

|

3/23/2018 8:04 PM

Rented one earlier this month for our week in Hawaii. 2016 Wrangler 2DR Softtop

Didn't put the top down much because of the unpredictable showers, but it was kind of a pain to put the top back up. You could definitely feel the shorter wheelbase at speed. Security sucks, anyone can pretty easily unzip the rear window in just a few seconds. Reaching into the rear seats sucks unless you move the front seats all the way forward, then it still sucks.

Even with those negatives, I kind of want one now!

As a big guy (6'5, 285) I couldn't fit in the older Wranglers all that well. This one had plenty of room. Our rental wasn't a race car, but had plenty of power to merge on freeway on ramps, etc. If I were home and could put it in my own garage, I'd have just taken the doors off and thrown a bikini top on it for the hottest days.

I'm trying to convince my wife to give up her Beetle convertible so I can get a newer convertible Jeep!

|

3/24/2018 5:40 AM

The responses are about what I expected. I just got back from Hawaii, too, and I rented one while there. I think for my purposes, it will be just fine. I intend to split driving between it and my F250. I will purchase a new one and from everything I've read so far, it has improved in a few areas.

Capmoto...haha....that is pretty impressive. I don't see myself riding anything that extreme, but you never know. Nice to see what it's capable of doing.

TxDirt...they don't make them in that baby blue, but I kind of like that color. Hope that doesn't say anything about myself. smile Change the wheels to black and that is about what I'd like mine to look like. Do you think that one has been lifted?

JAFO92....I've never heard of that brand. It almost looks like a toy in that picture.

|

3/24/2018 6:03 AM

Nellie12 wrote:

The responses are about what I expected. I just got back from Hawaii, too, and I rented one while there. I think for my ...more

If you want a newer JK Wrangler, buying new is the way to go. Wranglers hold their value really well. When I bought mine in '12, 2-3yr old ones with 40k miles were barely cheaper than a new one.

I guess since the wrangler doesn't have any real competition is why they demand a premium on the used market.

|

3/24/2018 7:16 AM

Nellie12 wrote:

The responses are about what I expected. I just got back from Hawaii, too, and I rented one while there. I think for my ...more

It’s got a little bit of a lift on it likely to accommodate for the larger diameter tires.

I’ve always wanted a lime green Jeep blacked out. The contrast in colors is pretty awesome.

|

3/24/2018 7:45 AM

go here for tons of info https://www.jlwranglerforums.com

Ive had jeeps for twenty years, TJ for 12, 2 dr JK for 6, 4 dr JK for 2 I just sold and have a new JL 2 dr on order

the new JL has taken it to a whole new level......good luck!!

|

3/24/2018 9:35 AM

mauidex, thanks. I need another forum to read. Dirt bikes and skiing is just not enough. smile
Seriously, thanks.

|

3/24/2018 9:47 AM

Every so often I get a itch for an older Jeep to ride on the weekend. Outside of that... always seen them as useless.

I did see a really cool Jeep truck for sale locally that had a z06 engine and drivetrain in it.

|

4/28/2018 9:23 AM

Not underpowered when you LS swap it. Ha real talk, I think they have a turbo diesel coming next year. Might be a step in the right direction as far as making appropriate power.

Photo

|

4/29/2018 1:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2018 1:33 AM

Our inlaws at Ocotillo Wells. They're not afraid to scratch the paint lol

Photo

|